Halo on Linux Please? :)

So we here a lot that Microsoft and Xbox wants to allow players on as many platforms as possible to be able to play their games, See this bit during their E3 press conference just the other day: https://youtu.be/1YnVzOA2wNs?t=2128 “no barriers”. However one OS that is quickly picking up steam in the among gamers at the moment is Linux. Linux gaming is evolving faster then windows right now (partly because its playing catch up, but its catching up very fast), for example Valve is pouring a butt load of money into their fork of WINE that they use as a compatibility layer, called proton. You can check it out here: https://www.protondb.com/. They are doing this because their streaming services runs on Linux VMs (you can make your own Linux OS with no bloat designed only to play games for maximum performance (that’s what they are doing)) Additionally there has been massive headway on DRM and Anti-Cheat compatibility as well, however it ain’t quite ready yet. There are teams of people currently working on expanding the Linux kernel to run games with DRM and Anti-Cheat, so it is only a matter of time before Linux is completely caught up with windows. You can check out this article here for more details: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2020/10/collabora-expect-their-linux-kernel-work-for-windows-game-emulation-in-kernel-5-11

So we have all this development going for gaming on Linux to fix general game compatibility problems for games that do not have native support, and also DRM and Anti-Cheat problems. However there is one thing still missing in a lot of cases and that is developer support. Right now EAC already works on Linux, I have not looked up other Anti-Cheat systems but because we are talking about Halo here, and MCC uses EAC, I am focused on that. On EAC’s website, on their list of supported OS’s they have Linux second on the list, even before windows: https://www.easy.ac/en-us/support/game/guides/os/ (for those Unfamiliar with Linux distros, Ubuntu is a distribution of Linux that many other distributions are based off of, anything that runs on Ubuntu should run on those other distributions that covers a huge swath of casual Linux users). Despite that, EAC is still broken on MCC while on Linux, and its a huge shame because MCC runs perfectly in Linux. No problems in campaign or custom games at all, the only problem is EAC trips when trying to go to match making. In fact since I have switched to Linux, in most of my games, I get slightly better performance, or at least more stable performance so it feels better, with the exception of a couple that are actually worse and one that just will not run at all (but as compatibility gets better, that should get fixed, and they are not AAA titles).

So I am asking 343, please incorporate the already built Linux compatible EAC into the steam version of MCC. And if anyone influential at Xbox or Microsoft happens do be reading this, Game pass for Linux would be greatly appreciated as well. I can’t imagine what game development is like, but the tools in this case are already built so I can not imagine it being to difficult to implement. And from my understand Microsoft does not really make much money on the Xbox hardware or even the Windows OS anymore, they make far more money selling games and Game pass subscriptions. It is just more potential customers for you, and you can even get away with being a little lazy (but i would hope you would not and I do not want to see this excuse) but one of the major upsides about Linux is for the most part completely open source. Anyone can chip in on fixing compatibility problems and what not, that is how they have come this far. TO ALL DEVELOPERS: Even if you did the bare minimum of using Linux friendly DRM and Anti-Cheat, the Linux community will find fixes and tweaks and hacks to fix up any other compatibility issues that the game itself might have (however judging by my experience with MCC on Linux, and how well campaign and custom games run, I don’t think the Linux community will have to do much if anything at all.) You can check out how others have experienced MCC on Linux here: https://www.protondb.com/app/976730 (some people seem to do have a couple hiccups with campaign, specifically finishing Tartarus fight on Halo 2, I personally had no problem, have not tried CO-OP yet my self however).

For those who may be interested in trying out Linux, I suggest PoP OS. It is a fork of Ubuntu most games and programs run just fine, but really any Ubuntu based OS is good for gaming and beginners. I will admit that getting use to a new OS is a learning curve and a half especially if you are a Windows power-user like I was. However unlike windows, you can customise Linux to your hearts content, if you wish to have a more Windows like interface, I suggest using KDE Desktop environment. There are other benefits to using Linux, and of course hurtles as well but for casual users, if you do not want to dive to deep into the inner workings, you do not have to.

Side note: I hope Halo Infinite comes to Linux :slight_smile: getting a Xbox Series X is still very difficult for a lot of people.

Side note 2: I made a thread for this on Reddit as well if you care to add your voice to this there: https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/o3sk69/halo_on_linux_please/

1 Like

I can’t imagine the work required to to this will be worth the outcome, the number of Halo player Linux users this would benefit who don’t already have a Windows machine or Xbox would be small.

> 2607664605677189;2:
> I can’t imagine the work required to to this will be worth the outcome, the number of Halo player Linux users this would benefit who don’t already have a Windows machine or Xbox would be small.

I can’t see it being much work at all. Like I said, EAC already nativity supports Linux, all they need to do is incorporate the Linux version of EAC in the steam version of MCC. I am no game dev, but I can not imagine that being to difficult.

Linux for gaming is slowly increasing: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/steam-tracker/ and gaming on windows is very dependent on how much Microsoft messes with their OS, there is a reason why the Linux community is growing, especially ever since Windows 8… If a Linux distro does something you do not like, you can literally install another distro over your current one, and remove all the OS bits and bobs of the distro you just left. or you can just change up the desktop environment like I did. PoP OS comes with a GNOME desktop environment that I do not really like, so I installed KDE Plasma onto my OS so now my interface is more windows like. I feel like Linux really has the power to become and OS power house in the future, maybe 15-20 years from now, maybe longer, maybe not.

As of right now, there is about 1 million active Steam Linux users, that ain’t that bad, I realise it is not as much as windows but compare it to how many Xbox Series X consoles have sold so far (1.3 million (and who knows how many of those actually ended up in the hands of gamers with the current scalper issue)), it seems like it would be a lot less effort to make Linux compatible games to reach a wider audience then it is to make a console.

> 2607664605677189;2:
> I can’t imagine the work required to to this will be worth the outcome, the number of Halo player Linux users this would benefit who don’t already have a Windows machine or Xbox would be small.

Or… Maybe more Linux gamers will be inclined to pick up Halo’s retro collection in the future, if Linux gaming does become bigger.

> 2533274796325288;3:
> > 2607664605677189;2:
> > I can’t imagine the work required to to this will be worth the outcome, the number of Halo player Linux users this would benefit who don’t already have a Windows machine or Xbox would be small.
>
> I can’t see it being much work at all. Like I said, EAC already nativity supports Linux, all they need to do is incorporate the Linux version of EAC in the steam version of MCC. I am no game dev, but I can not imagine that being to difficult.
>
> Linux for gaming is slowly increasing: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/steam-tracker/ and gaming on windows is very dependent on how much Microsoft messes with their OS, there is a reason why the Linux community is growing, especially ever since Windows 8…
>
> As of right now, there is about 1 million active Steam Linux users, that ain’t that bad, I realise it is not as much as windows but compare it to how many Xbox Series X consoles have sold so far (1.3 million (and who knows how many of those actually ended up in the hands of gamers with the current scalper issue)), it seems like it would be a lot less effort to make Linux compatible games to reach a wider audience then it is to make a console.

The problem is that with Halo being a Microsoft IP, they will want to keep it on their infrastructure. It’s the same reason they won’t make Halo for the Playstation - if Halo comes out on Linux there is no incentive to use any Microsoft products, eg. Windows or Xbox.

I think the issue also goes deeper than just dev, it would mean more testing and another version of the game they need to update and keep supported.

> 2607664605677189;5:
> > 2533274796325288;3:
> > > 2607664605677189;2:
> > > I can’t imagine the work required to to this will be worth the outcome, the number of Halo player Linux users this would benefit who don’t already have a Windows machine or Xbox would be small.
> >
> > I can’t see it being much work at all. Like I said, EAC already nativity supports Linux, all they need to do is incorporate the Linux version of EAC in the steam version of MCC. I am no game dev, but I can not imagine that being to difficult.
> >
> > Linux for gaming is slowly increasing: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/steam-tracker/ and gaming on windows is very dependent on how much Microsoft messes with their OS, there is a reason why the Linux community is growing, especially ever since Windows 8…
> >
> > As of right now, there is about 1 million active Steam Linux users, that ain’t that bad, I realise it is not as much as windows but compare it to how many Xbox Series X consoles have sold so far (1.3 million (and who knows how many of those actually ended up in the hands of gamers with the current scalper issue)), it seems like it would be a lot less effort to make Linux compatible games to reach a wider audience then it is to make a console.
>
> The problem is that with Halo being a Microsoft IP, they will want to keep it on their infrastructure. It’s the same reason they won’t make Halo for the Playstation - if Halo comes out on Linux there is no incentive to use any Microsoft products, eg. Windows or Xbox.
>
> I think the issue also goes deeper than just dev, it would mean more testing and another version of the game they need to update and keep supported.

They really only make money off of commercial windows sales now, not home users, most home user computers come with a windows license already, and those that don’t are likely building their own. when people build their own they are likely to incrementally update their hardware carrying their license with them. I do not think Microsoft locking down games on PC to Windows only actually makes them any money. I still believe that opening Microsoft games up to Linux has the potential to make a lot more money then keeping it windows only.

If they did native Linux support (that would be amazingly awesome) then yes I would agree there would be more work to be done on the testing side and support side, however incorporating already built Linux friendly anti cheat and DRM I cant would take to much resources. Especially when you do not need to do anything or hardly anything to the game engine it’s self to make it run on Linux especially with Steams Proton compatibility layer. they do not have to make and entirely new version of MCC on steam, simply add in the already built EAC Linux support into the current steam version of MCC. They could go a step further with an entirely different version of the MCC for Linux with tweaks to make it run better for those who do have problems, but I think most people would be happy with just the addition of Linux friendly EAC.

Fully support this, I would like to not be stuck with a Win 10 partition if I want to switch to Linux.

Halo is Microsoft. Microsoft is only going to put Halo on their own operating systems/devices. We were lucky enough to get MCC and Infinite on Windows PC’s. Halo getting an official Linux port is just about as likely as the MCC and Infinite coming to PlayStation - extremely improbable. Personally I like Windows and Xbox, and don’t mind it the way it is.

> 2533274809803837;8:
> Personally I like Windows and Xbox, and don’t mind it the way it is.

And that’s why your answer contains as little thought as it does, because you don’t really care about the subject.

There are people who will buy an Xbox for Halo, nobody is going to buy a copy of windows to play Halo.

> 2533274862813053;9:
> > 2533274809803837;8:
> > -
>
> And that’s why your answer contains as little thought as it does, because you don’t really care about the subject.
>
> There are people who will buy an Xbox for Halo, nobody is going to buy a copy of windows to play Halo.

The OP asked for input. I gave my opinion. There’s no need to be so sensitive.

> 2533274809803837;10:
> > 2533274862813053;9:
> > > 2533274809803837;8:
> > >
>
> The OP asked for input. I gave my opinion. There’s no need to be so sensitive.

I wasn’t really, although the first sentence sounds a bit condescending.

> 2533274862813053;9:
> There are people who will buy an Xbox for Halo, nobody is going to buy a copy of windows to play Halo.

This is correct, I know me personally can’t go back to Windows after experiencing what I can do with Linux. To many quality of life improvements, I guess I could dual boot if I absolutely really wanted to, but its just a pain not being able to Alt Tab and do something else, or what ever. I thought of maybe doing a VM but I would have to get another GPU so I can do PCIE pass through but those are hard to come by. I would much rather just be able to play it in Linux, especially because for me, the game already runs perfectly with the exception of EAC. EAC for Linux is already built… I can’t imagine it would be that hard to roll it into the current MCC build, why they didn’t do it from the start is beyond me, unless at the time EAC did not support Linux. I know these developments in Linux gaming are all pretty recent, throughout the past year or so.

> 2533274809803837;10:
> The OP asked for input. I gave my opinion. There’s no need to be so sensitive.

Sort of… I made this post in hopes to convince 343 to allow Linux users to play in match making, not so much to get feedback from other players, not that it is unwelcome. I was not expecting anyone to not want more potential players just because they run Windows. That being said, your resistance is not without reason, I just do not think it is a good enough reason. Windows is a Microsoft platform just like the Xbox, And I am sure Microsoft would love to make money selling copies of Windows. It is just that I don’t think they really make a lot of money selling copies of windows to home users. They make their money selling licenses to big corporations that need to run thousands of machines, and their own Windows servers, etc. As well as selling licenses to OEMs and pre built companies, where the license is already worked into the cost of the machine. even if you install Linux on it after you buy it, Microsoft still made their money despite you not using their OS. People who build their own PC is a really small crowd, they make money usually on the first PC someone builds, but after that people do not usually build an entire new PC, they just upgrade to the license gets carried with them for many years. and correct me if I am wrong, is the license not tied to your Microsoft account now as well?

A linux user, would most likely if they really want to play Halo on their PC, would do a dual boot or if they have two GPUs, they could do a VM with PCIE Pass through. But they ain’t gonna pay for a Windows license for that XD they would just crack it. They would make a lot more money selling copies of the game to Linux users to play on Linux, then they would, the very very very few Linux users who will buy a license to activate a copy of Windows in their VM or dual boot particition that exists for the soul purpose to play Halo.

343 wants to make money, Xbox wants to make money, Microsoft wants to make money, and Bill Gates wants to make money. I can’t see how they would not make money by doing this.

I think its more likely those usin Linux distros will be forced to use a web browser cloud streaming service to access Halo.

> 2535420423878127;13:
> I think its more likely those usin Linux distros will be forced to use a web browser cloud streaming service to access Halo.

Gross… The thought of that makes be shiver… I am kind of a audio visual snob and my network connection ain’t the best latency does not bother me too too much but the compression from a stream definitely would. personally I think streaming games belongs nowhere else but on cell phones but to each their own. I got my fingers crossed that someone at 343 is reading this and my reasoning as to why they should do it, and hopefully it is sound enough they will follow through. I can only comment on what the numbers look like from outside of the business and to me, if the goal is to make money, it is worth it in my eyes. If the goal is to get as many players playing as possible with “No barriers” for PC or console players as they said during E3, then to me that would include Linux, as Linux is PC.

I don’t want to get your hopes up, but Halo Infinite might be fully playable on Linux. Michael VanKuipers recently mentioned anti-cheat tech in the latest blog post for the game:

> Our anti-cheat philosophy is to make cheating more difficult in ways that don’t involve kernel drivers or background services. We’ve done a lot of work securing the Slipspace engine and developing novel ways to protect and change the game to slow down cheat development. When people do cheat, we’re focused on catching them through their behavior and not from data that we’ve harvested from their machines.

Since the anti-cheat supposedly doesn’t involve kernel drivers or background services, there’s a good chance that we’ll see the entire game work on Steam via proton (fingers crossed). And even if it does end up becoming kernel-based like EAC or Battleye, it’s only a matter of time before WINE can start translating Windows syscalls (we got Syscall user dispatch in kernel 5.11, now we just need to wait for WINE).

> 2533274953639221;15:
> I don’t want to get your hopes up, but Halo Infinite might be fully playable on Linux. Michael VanKuipers recently mentioned anti-cheat tech in the latest blog post for the game:
>
>
> > Our anti-cheat philosophy is to make cheating more difficult in ways that don’t involve kernel drivers or background services. We’ve done a lot of work securing the Slipspace engine and developing novel ways to protect and change the game to slow down cheat development. When people do cheat, we’re focused on catching them through their behavior and not from data that we’ve harvested from their machines.
>
> Since the anti-cheat supposedly doesn’t involve kernel drivers or background services, there’s a good chance that we’ll see the entire game work on Steam via proton (fingers crossed). And even if it does end up becoming kernel-based like EAC or Battleye, it’s only a matter of time before WINE can start translating Windows syscalls (we got Syscall user dispatch in kernel 5.11, now we just need to wait for WINE).

That is great news, however I have yet to see any information about if infinite will even be out on Steam, I could be wrong however. I have been under the assumption It will only be on game pass for PC because they want to sell game pass subscriptions. And I guess once WINE gets that Syscall user dispatch working, EAC should working then MCC will work as well, but its an unnecessary translation over head when EAC already supports Linux and 343 simply needs to use that functionality. I hope it does not hurt performance to much, I guess we will have to wait and find out.

> 2533274796325288;16:
> > 2533274953639221;15:
> > I don’t want to get your hopes up, but Halo Infinite might be fully playable on Linux. Michael VanKuipers recently mentioned anti-cheat tech in the latest blog post for the game:
> >
> >
> > > Our anti-cheat philosophy is to make cheating more difficult in ways that don’t involve kernel drivers or background services. We’ve done a lot of work securing the Slipspace engine and developing novel ways to protect and change the game to slow down cheat development. When people do cheat, we’re focused on catching them through their behavior and not from data that we’ve harvested from their machines.
> >
> > Since the anti-cheat supposedly doesn’t involve kernel drivers or background services, there’s a good chance that we’ll see the entire game work on Steam via proton (fingers crossed). And even if it does end up becoming kernel-based like EAC or Battleye, it’s only a matter of time before WINE can start translating Windows syscalls (we got Syscall user dispatch in kernel 5.11, now we just need to wait for WINE).
>
> That is great news, however I have yet to see any information about if infinite will even be out on Steam, I could be wrong however. I have been under the assumption It will only be on game pass for PC because they want to sell game pass subscriptions. And I guess once WINE gets that Syscall user dispatch working, EAC should working then MCC will work as well, but its an unnecessary translation over head when EAC already supports Linux and 343 simply needs to use that functionality. I hope it does not hurt performance to much, I guess we will have to wait and find out.

Halo Infinite has been listed on Steam for a while now (Halo Infinite on Steam). The campaign and custom games should work with proton just like in MCC. Only time will tell of online matchmaking will.

From the blog post, I don’t think that they are using EAC for Infinite. I think that it is a custom-built anti-cheat developed specifically with the Slipspace engine in mind. Cheers to hoping that it works with Proton!

Is it clear that matchmaking is only broken because of EAC? I don’t know a whole lot about networking, but couldn’t matchmaking run into some issues there, since the packets being sent via linux are very different from those sent via windows? Was anyone able to successfully do custom games or coop campaign? Although those don’t really answer the question, since the networking infrastructure is entirely different for those modes to begin with.

> 2533274906921231;18:
> Is it clear that matchmaking is only broken because of EAC? I don’t know a whole lot about networking, but couldn’t matchmaking run into some issues there, since the packets being sent via linux are very different from those sent via windows? Was anyone able to successfully do custom games or coop campaign? Although those don’t really answer the question, since the networking infrastructure is entirely different for those modes to begin with.

It is not absolutely clear as to why EAC is borked, but what happens when you launch the game with EAC enabled is, all single player stuff works just fine however any multiplayer feature gets blocked by the EAC is disabled popup. I assume that process just failed to start with the game due to it not understanding the Linux Kernel. rest of the games single player functions work correctly, and even pulling synced game saves and that sort of stuff works so I do not think it is any sort of networking issue. All network packets/frames have to follow a standard anyways or else the internet would be a very broken place.

> 2533274953639221;17:
> Halo Infinite has been listed on Steam for a while now (Halo Infinite on Steam). The campaign and custom games should work with proton just like in MCC. Only time will tell of online matchmaking will.
>
> From the blog post, I don’t think that they are using EAC for Infinite. I think that it is a custom-built anti-cheat developed specifically with the Slipspace engine in mind. Cheers to hoping that it works with Proton!

I entirely forgot about that, the game was already on my wish list so I must have seen that already XD. I am feeling a lot better about halo infinite working just fine on PC now, can’t wait. Now MCC just needs a quick fix for matchmaking and Linux players are all set.

I hope Halo MCC comes to as many OS as possible