Halo novels

What’s up family!

So I’ve been playing Halo since CE came out, and have beaten and played the heart out of every Halo game since. I have a problem where I lose my place in the storyline in every game I play. Something about having storyline “movie” cutscenes mixed in with awesome gameplay gets me lost in the story. I know, it sucks. I hate it and I can’t seem to focus strong enough to follow along.

I bought 3 Halo novels in a box set. Fall Of Reach, First Strike, and The Flood in hopes to read and reset my knowledge of the Halo world. But I know theres much more…

Of course I played through the MCC and I still don’t have a firm grip on the story. And I’m talking a firm grip on the deeper side of things. I understand the general idea of Halo.

Can anyone recommend any other novels (cause I know there is a lot) that I can read to prepare for Halo 5? Or maybe movies? I don’t want/have time to read every Halo novel and video out there, so I’m just looking for the essential novels and films.

Any help would be fantastic.

Cheers!

Hey bro
You should read Forerunner Saga, in order to understand better Halo 4 story (and Halo 5 Guardians): Halo Cryptum - Halo Primordium - Halo Silentium.
Also, I recommend you to read and read Halopedia/Halo wikia, these webs have interesting information

You’re off to a good start. FoR is a must read. Best halo novel of all imo. You may want to consider skipping the flood. It was a very hard read for me. It’s mostly a novelization of H:CE which is better played than read. Some other things do happen it, however.

I enjoyed Contact: Harvest a great deal. Sgt. Johnson dealing with humanity’s first contact with the covenant. It is a little light on action, though.

The Cole Protocol is another favorite of mine. It has some cool Spartan-II moments (grey team) but also has smugglers, innies, aliens… fun story.

A lot of people like Ghosts of Onyx. I didn’t care too much for it but some important stuff happens in it.

The Forerunner Saga (another trilogy) is some really cool high science-fiction, but might be a better background for H4 than H5.

If you’re wanting something to lead you into H5 you could read the Kilo-5 trilogy, but if time is an issue I would just read each novel’s Halopedia page. I’m sure the author is a great lady, but I’ve never enjoyed her work much and Kilo-5 was a tough trilogy to get through. Some important stuff happens in it, however.

Hope this helps some.

If you’re up-to-date on the games, not many of the novels can give you backstory/lead-up to H5. Tt looks like the novels coming out this year (especially the one by Frank O’Connor) should provide you with that.

“Everything you read this year is soil from which surprises will spring, many of them in Halo 5.” -Frank

See his interview here: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/canon-fodder-novel-ideas

honestly, what helped me understand the lore of halo was Halo:legends. i bought it at a swap meet in a little town outside of my university for like $2.00. I played the games and hadn’t read the books yet. so watching it was a an eye opener…

but yea fall of reach was awesome, first strike. the forerunner saga was ok… just got the third book. and i;m currently reading first blood.

Thursday’s war was pretty good as well

I Just bought escalation: volume one (comics)

They are all good. (well, i didn’t like The Flood much). I’d say my favorites are Cryptum, Contact Harvest, Broken Circle and Fall of Reach.

> 2533274830733064;5:
> honestly, what helped me understand the lore of halo was Halo:legends. i bought it at a swap meet in a little town outside of my university for like $2.00. I played the games and hadn’t read the books yet. so watching it was a an eye opener…

Hadn’t heard of Halo: Legends until now. I’ll have to try to find it. Thanks!

Great info. Thanks everyone!

> 2533274910556989;7:
> > 2533274830733064;5:
> > honestly, what helped me understand the lore of halo was Halo:legends. i bought it at a swap meet in a little town outside of my university for like $2.00. I played the games and hadn’t read the books yet. so watching it was a an eye opener…
>
>
> Hadn’t heard of Halo: Legends until now. I’ll have to try to find it. Thanks!

Every episode is on YouTube.