Halo Nightfall not working

I have tried every troubleshooting step I could find. And every without fail I get this response" That’s not right. Sorry about that. the content you selected can’t be played at this time. please retry or select something else from the guide." This getting pretty damn annoying especially since I am a loyal HALLO fan and this is the only game I have ever had trouble with. and on top of that the bandana skull doesn’t even work? So can someone please clarify what is going on?

Some questions:
a) What region/locale are you in?
b) Is this occurring only when you link into Halo Channel from Master Chief Collection or does it happen when you launch Halo Channel by itself?
c) Does this only happen with Terminals/Spartan Ops/Nightfall or does it happen with all content?
d) Do you have firewall/parental control/DNS management software on your network?

a) I am in southern California
b) Only happens when I try to watch nightfall
c) I have not tried to play Spartan ops and I have tried to watch other videos with sucsess
d) do not know if I have any firewalls and I will double check my parental controls

> 2535434861546545;3:
> a) I am in southern California
> b) Only happens when I try to watch nightfall
> c) I have not tried to play Spartan ops and I have tried to watch other videos with sucsess
> d) do not know if I have any firewalls and I will double check my parental controls

And when you go to Halo Channel by itself, and attempt to watch Nightfall, it recognizes that you own it, etc? (ie: you don’t see ‘Buy Nightfall’ or such)

And yes, I have checked, you are entitled to Nightfall, etc… You should be able to launch it, but it sounds like you are not getting validated through the server when you attempt to connect. Trying to determine the root cause of that is the root of my questions…

When I select Nightfall it says view episode. So I select view episode and try watch the first one and that’s when it tells “That’s not right. Sorry about that. the content you selected can’t be played at this time. please retry or select something else from the guide” I’m trying to figure out to fix because I tried everything I can think of.

> 2535434861546545;5:
> When I select Nightfall it says view episode. So I select view episode and try watch the first one and that’s when it tells “That’s not right. Sorry about that. the content you selected can’t be played at this time. please retry or select something else from the guide” I’m trying to figure out to fix because I tried everything I can think of.

Can you check to see if you get similar behavior with other DRM protected content, such as Terminal videos? An easy to access Terminal is Halo:CE Terminal 8 (Two Betrayals) which you can access from selecting Campaign, and go to Two Betrayals mission. The terminal is half way around the room, easy to access.

I am trying to determine if it is simply this set of content or if you fail at any of the DRM content in general. I appreciate your assistance, and hope that we can dig in deep enough on this to find your solution. You can continue to respond here, or you can directly message me.

Hi, I am actually having a similar problem, except for me, NOTHING is working. Not Nightfall, nor any of the terminal videos.
I believe it has always been like this for me, since everytime I find a new terminal in H2A, it will just say “That’s not right. Sorry about that. the content you selected can’t be played at this time.”

Thanks for your time.

> 2533274796473372;7:
> Hi, I am actually having a similar problem, except for me, NOTHING is working. Not Nightfall, nor any of the terminal videos.
> I believe it has always been like this for me, since everytime I find a new terminal in H2A, it will just say “That’s not right. Sorry about that. the content you selected can’t be played at this time.”
>
> Thanks for your time.

Do other videos, such as The Bulletin, The Sprint, etc work for you?
Do you have any firewall/Parental Control/DNS management software on your network (McAfee, Kaspersky Internet Security, etc)
Do you get the associated achievements when you unlock a terminal?

I’m not sure where to find The Bulletin or The Sprint videos.
No parental controls as far as I know.
Yes, I do get the achievements when I unlock the terminals.

> 2533274796473372;9:
> I’m not sure where to find The Bulletin or The Sprint videos.
> No parental controls as far as I know.
> Yes, I do get the achievements when I unlock the terminals.

Bulletin or Sprint should be either under ‘Featured’ depending on the day of the week, or under Originals.
I only list them specifically because I know we continue to push new episodes, or spotlight those frequently.

Examining your issue on the info provided, it would suggest that you are not connecting to our server that issues the DRM licenses to watch protected content, which happens to be Nightfall and Terminals. If non-protected videos, such as I suggested above, work, then that certainly narrows down the potential issues.

Normally when we have encountered this, it has overwhelmingly been the result of someone having configured firewalls, installed a DNS security app/Internet Privacy app, or other app, as those I listed above. Parental Control apps, and some Internet Security apps see our DRM server as rated ‘Mature’ since it authenticates against videos that contain violence.

We have also had reports of specific service providers, such as Sky, having had specific blocks enabled on their routers/modems that block our service as well. Not sure that is relevant, but if you don’t have any firewall/security/control apps that may have modified your router, that is a slim, but possible reason for the issue. If possible, please check to ensure that you don’t have any of that sort of software running.

Refresher of things to check for:
a) HDMI related issues:
We are aware that some HDMI splitters (3-1 boxes for example) and some Soundbar/Sound systems may cause DRM content to not operate. When possible, for troubleshooting, try to ensure that you have as clean a path as possible for your tests, meaning:

Internet -> Xbox One ->HDMI -> TV : You should try with minimal hardware load, running network as directly as possible from your router/modem to the Xbox One, then video out (HMDI) directly to the primary HDMI port on your TV/Monitor

IF this works, but adding in an HMDI splitter, such as the boxes that take 3 inputs and push through a single output, fails, or if you see failure after adding a Soundbar/Sound System, there is likely an incompatibility there.

b) Video Capture hardware/software: Any video capture hardware or software will break our DRM content playback. If you have hardware/software set up for streaming or video capture, please remove or disable it, and try to play Nightfall/Terminals without it inline.

c) Redeemed Nightfall code: If you have a physical copy of MCC, you received an insert in the case, a small cardboard card with a 5x5 code on it, that can be redeemed for the Nightfall content. Having MCC installed doesn’t automatically grant Nightfall.

d) Parental Controls: Child Accounts, or accounts set with restrictions, especially related to rating, or restrictions to purchasing from the store, will encounter multiple errors due to those settings

e) Firewall/DNS Software: Software that modifies your router/modem, or creates a firewall can cause issues. We have seen Norton and Kaspersky Firewall/DNS/Parental Control software filter out or block content due to the rating of the content, usually due our content including the ‘contains violence’ warning. If you use software that has modified your router or modem, please deactivate it and test to see if you can reach our content.

There are other issues that could cause problems, but those listed above are generally outside of our control, and issues we need to eliminate from potential blockers before we can effectively troubleshoot further.

-Thanks!

> 2533274799306350;11:
> Refresher of things to check for:
> a) HDMI related issues:
> We are aware that some HDMI splitters (3-1 boxes for example) and some Soundbar/Sound systems may cause DRM content to not operate. When possible, for troubleshooting, try to ensure that you have as clean a path as possible for your tests, meaning:
>
> Internet -> Xbox One ->HDMI -> TV : You should try with minimal hardware load, running network as directly as possible from your router/modem to the Xbox One, then video out (HMDI) directly to the primary HDMI port on your TV/Monitor
>
> IF this works, but adding in an HMDI splitter, such as the boxes that take 3 inputs and push through a single output, fails, or if you see failure after adding a Soundbar/Sound System, there is likely an incompatibility there.
>
> -Thanks!

You know what? I have an HDMI splitter AND a soundbar. So I took my XB1 downstairs and connected it directly to my television. I was so excited to finally be able to watch Nightfall, use any of the hidden terminals in game and maybe even get to take part in the Halo 5 beta!!!
Except it didn’t work.
Even if it had worked, I play from my monitor which has no speakers in it. Many televisions have no speakers. This suggestion wouldn’t work for a good number of players.

Isn’t having the content linked to an account on a console which has its own DRM built right in… enough DRM? I have a feeling all the issues you are seeing in post after post are all related to your DRM. And it is ridiculous. I’m all for you protecting your content but if your protection scheme limits the way in which someone can connect their console to support their setup… it should probably be noted on the box or in some printed material, or on your site.
I’m terribly sorry that I have an HDMI splitter so I can enjoy the use of more than one device (none of which have any issues, PC, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3, PS4 and WiiU) and that this somehow interferes with your DRM. I hope that you folks will fix this soon, as your game has been out for months and many people are still not able to fully enjoy it and those of us who purchased after December don’t even get your “apology” release of ODST.
If you can tell I’m frustrated, and annoyed I hope that tells you something. I’ve never had a console experience so poor as this.

> 2535424171427608;12:
> > 2533274799306350;11:
> > Refresher of things to check for:
> > a) HDMI related issues:
> > We are aware that some HDMI splitters (3-1 boxes for example) and some Soundbar/Sound systems may cause DRM content to not operate. When possible, for troubleshooting, try to ensure that you have as clean a path as possible for your tests, meaning:
> >
> > Internet → Xbox One ->HDMI → TV : You should try with minimal hardware load, running network as directly as possible from your router/modem to the Xbox One, then video out (HMDI) directly to the primary HDMI port on your TV/Monitor
> >
> > IF this works, but adding in an HMDI splitter, such as the boxes that take 3 inputs and push through a single output, fails, or if you see failure after adding a Soundbar/Sound System, there is likely an incompatibility there.
> >
> > -Thanks!
>
>
> You know what? I have an HDMI splitter AND a soundbar. So I took my XB1 downstairs and connected it directly to my television. I was so excited to finally be able to watch Nightfall, use any of the hidden terminals in game and maybe even get to take part in the Halo 5 beta!!!
> Except it didn’t work.
> Even if it had worked, I play from my monitor which has no speakers in it. Many televisions have no speakers. This suggestion wouldn’t work for a good number of players.
>
> Isn’t having the content linked to an account on a console which has its own DRM built right in… enough DRM? I have a feeling all the issues you are seeing in post after post are all related to your DRM. And it is ridiculous. I’m all for you protecting your content but if your protection scheme limits the way in which someone can connect their console to support their setup… it should probably be noted on the box or in some printed material, or on your site.
> I’m terribly sorry that I have an HDMI splitter so I can enjoy the use of more than one device (none of which have any issues, PC, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3, PS4 and WiiU) and that this somehow interferes with your DRM. I hope that you folks will fix this soon, as your game has been out for months and many people are still not able to fully enjoy it and those of us who purchased after December don’t even get your “apology” release of ODST.
> If you can tell I’m frustrated, and annoyed I hope that tells you something. I’ve never had a console experience so poor as this.

If you have the physical copy of the game, please be sure to redeem the 5x5 code that came on a card insert in your case. I don’t see Nightfall activated for SabbaticusPrime. If you purchased the digital copy of the game, ensure that you are logged in on the account that purchased the game.

> 2533274799306350;13:
> > 2535424171427608;12:
> > > 2533274799306350;11:
> > > Refresher of things to check for:
> > > a) HDMI related issues:
> > > We are aware that some HDMI splitters (3-1 boxes for example) and some Soundbar/Sound systems may cause DRM content to not operate. When possible, for troubleshooting, try to ensure that you have as clean a path as possible for your tests, meaning:
> > >
> > > Internet → Xbox One ->HDMI → TV : You should try with minimal hardware load, running network as directly as possible from your router/modem to the Xbox One, then video out (HMDI) directly to the primary HDMI port on your TV/Monitor
> > >
> > > IF this works, but adding in an HMDI splitter, such as the boxes that take 3 inputs and push through a single output, fails, or if you see failure after adding a Soundbar/Sound System, there is likely an incompatibility there.
> > >
> > > -Thanks!
> >
> >
> >
> > You know what? I have an HDMI splitter AND a soundbar. So I took my XB1 downstairs and connected it directly to my television. I was so excited to finally be able to watch Nightfall, use any of the hidden terminals in game and maybe even get to take part in the Halo 5 beta!!!
> > Except it didn’t work.
> > Even if it had worked, I play from my monitor which has no speakers in it. Many televisions have no speakers. This suggestion wouldn’t work for a good number of players.
> >
> > Isn’t having the content linked to an account on a console which has its own DRM built right in… enough DRM? I have a feeling all the issues you are seeing in post after post are all related to your DRM. And it is ridiculous. I’m all for you protecting your content but if your protection scheme limits the way in which someone can connect their console to support their setup… it should probably be noted on the box or in some printed material, or on your site.
> > I’m terribly sorry that I have an HDMI splitter so I can enjoy the use of more than one device (none of which have any issues, PC, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3, PS4 and WiiU) and that this somehow interferes with your DRM. I hope that you folks will fix this soon, as your game has been out for months and many people are still not able to fully enjoy it and those of us who purchased after December don’t even get your “apology” release of ODST.
> > If you can tell I’m frustrated, and annoyed I hope that tells you something. I’ve never had a console experience so poor as this.
>
>
> If you have the physical copy of the game, please be sure to redeem the 5x5 code that came on a card insert in your case. I don’t see Nightfall activated for SabbaticusPrime. If you purchased the digital copy of the game, ensure that you are logged in on the account that purchased the game.

I do not. I have the Xbox 1 MCC collection bundle.
Every single comment about issues has someone telling people to input their code from their physical copy. Which is good information. Why assume though? Why not also automatically include options for those of us with digital copies?
I’ve now even tried taking my system to a completely different floor of my house, a friends house, deleting the channel and Nightfall, deleting everything altogether and starting fresh, removing the other account from my system despite it not being logged in (no guest account logged in either), and was about to exchange the system for another. I believe I may just return it.
That’s not a threat by any means, I’m just not enjoying having access to 1/3 of what I paid for and not even having that portion work as it was advertised.
Terminals don’t work in the games because of issues with the Halo channel. Halo 5 Beta is greyed out because…? Nightfall doesn’t play likely due to DRM.
Not what I signed on for.

> 2535424171427608;14:
> > 2533274799306350;13:
> > > 2535424171427608;12:
> > > > 2533274799306350;11:
> > > > Refresher of things to check for:
> > > > a) HDMI related issues:
> > > > We are aware that some HDMI splitters (3-1 boxes for example) and some Soundbar/Sound systems may cause DRM content to not operate. When possible, for troubleshooting, try to ensure that you have as clean a path as possible for your tests, meaning:
> > > >
> > > > Internet → Xbox One ->HDMI → TV : You should try with minimal hardware load, running network as directly as possible from your router/modem to the Xbox One, then video out (HMDI) directly to the primary HDMI port on your TV/Monitor
> > > >
> > > > IF this works, but adding in an HMDI splitter, such as the boxes that take 3 inputs and push through a single output, fails, or if you see failure after adding a Soundbar/Sound System, there is likely an incompatibility there.
> > > >
> > > > -Thanks!
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > You know what? I have an HDMI splitter AND a soundbar. So I took my XB1 downstairs and connected it directly to my television. I was so excited to finally be able to watch Nightfall, use any of the hidden terminals in game and maybe even get to take part in the Halo 5 beta!!!
> > > Except it didn’t work.
> > > Even if it had worked, I play from my monitor which has no speakers in it. Many televisions have no speakers. This suggestion wouldn’t work for a good number of players.
> > >
> > > Isn’t having the content linked to an account on a console which has its own DRM built right in… enough DRM? I have a feeling all the issues you are seeing in post after post are all related to your DRM. And it is ridiculous. I’m all for you protecting your content but if your protection scheme limits the way in which someone can connect their console to support their setup… it should probably be noted on the box or in some printed material, or on your site.
> > > I’m terribly sorry that I have an HDMI splitter so I can enjoy the use of more than one device (none of which have any issues, PC, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3, PS4 and WiiU) and that this somehow interferes with your DRM. I hope that you folks will fix this soon, as your game has been out for months and many people are still not able to fully enjoy it and those of us who purchased after December don’t even get your “apology” release of ODST.
> > > If you can tell I’m frustrated, and annoyed I hope that tells you something. I’ve never had a console experience so poor as this.
> >
> >
> > If you have the physical copy of the game, please be sure to redeem the 5x5 code that came on a card insert in your case. I don’t see Nightfall activated for SabbaticusPrime. If you purchased the digital copy of the game, ensure that you are logged in on the account that purchased the game.
>
>
> I do not. I have the Xbox 1 MCC collection bundle.
> Every single comment about issues has someone telling people to input their code from their physical copy. Which is good information. Why assume though? Why not also automatically include options for those of us with digital copies?
> I’ve now even tried taking my system to a completely different floor of my house, a friends house, deleting the channel and Nightfall, deleting everything altogether and starting fresh, removing the other account from my system despite it not being logged in (no guest account logged in either), and was about to exchange the system for another. I believe I may just return it.
> That’s not a threat by any means, I’m just not enjoying having access to 1/3 of what I paid for and not even having that portion work as it was advertised.
> Terminals don’t work in the games because of issues with the Halo channel. Halo 5 Beta is greyed out because…? Nightfall doesn’t play likely due to DRM.
> Not what I signed on for.

Support always covers both physical and digital scenarios. Pity you had a bad experience.

> 2535424171427608;14:
> > 2533274799306350;13:
> > > 2535424171427608;12:
> > > > 2533274799306350;11:
> > > > Refresher of things to check for:
> > > > a) HDMI related issues:
> > > > We are aware that some HDMI splitters (3-1 boxes for example) and some Soundbar/Sound systems may cause DRM content to not operate. When possible, for troubleshooting, try to ensure that you have as clean a path as possible for your tests, meaning:
> > > >
> > > > Internet → Xbox One ->HDMI → TV : You should try with minimal hardware load, running network as directly as possible from your router/modem to the Xbox One, then video out (HMDI) directly to the primary HDMI port on your TV/Monitor
> > > >
> > > > IF this works, but adding in an HMDI splitter, such as the boxes that take 3 inputs and push through a single output, fails, or if you see failure after adding a Soundbar/Sound System, there is likely an incompatibility there.
> > > >
> > > > -Thanks!
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > You know what? I have an HDMI splitter AND a soundbar. So I took my XB1 downstairs and connected it directly to my television. I was so excited to finally be able to watch Nightfall, use any of the hidden terminals in game and maybe even get to take part in the Halo 5 beta!!!
> > > Except it didn’t work.
> > > Even if it had worked, I play from my monitor which has no speakers in it. Many televisions have no speakers. This suggestion wouldn’t work for a good number of players.
> > >
> > > Isn’t having the content linked to an account on a console which has its own DRM built right in… enough DRM? I have a feeling all the issues you are seeing in post after post are all related to your DRM. And it is ridiculous. I’m all for you protecting your content but if your protection scheme limits the way in which someone can connect their console to support their setup… it should probably be noted on the box or in some printed material, or on your site.
> > > I’m terribly sorry that I have an HDMI splitter so I can enjoy the use of more than one device (none of which have any issues, PC, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3, PS4 and WiiU) and that this somehow interferes with your DRM. I hope that you folks will fix this soon, as your game has been out for months and many people are still not able to fully enjoy it and those of us who purchased after December don’t even get your “apology” release of ODST.
> > > If you can tell I’m frustrated, and annoyed I hope that tells you something. I’ve never had a console experience so poor as this.
> >
> >
> > If you have the physical copy of the game, please be sure to redeem the 5x5 code that came on a card insert in your case. I don’t see Nightfall activated for SabbaticusPrime. If you purchased the digital copy of the game, ensure that you are logged in on the account that purchased the game.
>
>
> I do not. I have the Xbox 1 MCC collection bundle.
> Every single comment about issues has someone telling people to input their code from their physical copy. Which is good information. Why assume though? Why not also automatically include options for those of us with digital copies?
> I’ve now even tried taking my system to a completely different floor of my house, a friends house, deleting the channel and Nightfall, deleting everything altogether and starting fresh, removing the other account from my system despite it not being logged in (no guest account logged in either), and was about to exchange the system for another. I believe I may just return it.
> That’s not a threat by any means, I’m just not enjoying having access to 1/3 of what I paid for and not even having that portion work as it was advertised.
> Terminals don’t work in the games because of issues with the Halo channel. Halo 5 Beta is greyed out because…? Nightfall doesn’t play likely due to DRM.
> Not what I signed on for.

Halo 5 Beta ran from December 29th, 2014 through January 18th, 2015 only. As to why we always suggest the 5x5 card, it is because most people overlook it, as it is by far the most frequent issue we run into.
The issue with Halo Terminals is a complicated issue, as we are determining, and while it manifests in Halo Channel, the channel isn’t the cause of the problem… We are still in the process of determining that cause of the issue that unlocks achievements, but does not toggle the unlock for the terminal. As I messaged you, I am going to review the accounts you sent me, to determine which have ownership of Nightfall, etc as soon as I can determine that data!

I have no splitters no other profiles have ever used my console. I have the physical copy of the MCC and have redeemed the 5x5 card before and nightfall was working just fine but the terminals weren’t. I tried to reinstall the Halo Channel to get those working and now everything is broke. I can’t finish watching my Nightfall episodes or watch any of unlocked terminals. I’ve done multiple hard reset and reinstall and nothing is getting it to work again. My terminals all say play Halo instead of play and nightfall says to buy it, When I click on that it takes me to the marketplace and it says its already installed. I’ve tried launching from the game disc and from the app. Nothing is working and I’m getting very frustrated at this point. Installed the channel on my windows 8.1 laptop and it still wants me to buy nightfall. What can I try next???

> 2533274795078244;17:
> I have no splitters no other profiles have ever used my console. I have the physical copy of the MCC and have redeemed the 5x5 card before and nightfall was working just fine but the terminals weren’t. I tried to reinstall the Halo Channel to get those working and now everything is broke. I can’t finish watching my Nightfall episodes or watch any of unlocked terminals. I’ve done multiple hard reset and reinstall and nothing is getting it to work again. My terminals all say play Halo instead of play and nightfall says to buy it, When I click on that it takes me to the marketplace and it says its already installed. I’ve tried launching from the game disc and from the app. Nothing is working and I’m getting very frustrated at this point. Installed the channel on my windows 8.1 laptop and it still wants me to buy nightfall. What can I try next???

Is this issue still persisting? Our logs indicate you connected to our service on 04/19…

I have the MCC edition console too, everything downloaded perfectly and Halo Channel doesn’t work with ANY terminals and only thing it plays is Forward Unto Dawn… Why only that and nothing else? I’m starting to lose faith in game companies and their -Yoink- breaking so easily…

> 2533274830384416;19:
> I have the MCC edition console too, everything downloaded perfectly and Halo Channel doesn’t work with ANY terminals and only thing it plays is Forward Unto Dawn… Why only that and nothing else? I’m starting to lose faith in game companies and their -Yoink- breaking so easily…

No other content, such as The Bulletin or The Sprint videos, work at all? What happens when you try to play other content? Our records show that you have access to Nightfall, so the account has correctly toggled the MCC/Nightfall ownerships, and nothing should be blocked for you at all in Halo Channel.