Halo Needs a New Writer

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not call out individuals. This includes forum members, moderators, administrators, and non-forum members.</mark>

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

I doubt 343 sees any of this, but I feel like there needs to be a thread for this, since naturally development for Halo 6 is already underway. I will try to be brief.
I will preface by saying that as far as gameplay is concerned, Halo 5 is great. I know not everyone agrees, but In my honest gamer opinion 343 made the right calls there I feel like a Spartan when I play, and I love it.
Campaign wise, Halo 5 is a nightmare. The reasons why are clear to see, but few point it out. The reasons are:

1. [<mark>CLASSIFIED</mark>]has a good idea of wanting to make female characters stronger, but goes about it in an awful way, putting her opinion above all else. [<mark>CLASSIFIED</mark>] needs to change or get the hell out of our games.
  2. This is perhaps even more important, and has to do with the actual writer here. I think most agree that the story to Halo 4 was well paced, and a decent episode on its own. It had the emotional factor, good character development, and a fairly satisfying conclusion. Well, that writer was not on Halo 5. You know who was? The guy who wrote the story for Spartan Ops. You know what his accolades are? Comic Books. And not good ones at that. He has no idea what he is doing, and that was made clear by Halo 5.
    We need a new writer, or even just the guy from four back. Is it too late? Possibly. But I think it is worth putting out a call to hopefully see a series that we all love not just for gameplay but also for its lore and the power of its story go out on a good note.

A YouTuber called LateNightGaming has talked all about this, he hates Brian Reed.

Joe Staten

Agreed. Halo 5 story was kinda lack luster for me and not just because Master Chief was in 3 mission. The story as a whole wasn’t very good.

> 2533275050532363;3:
> Joe Staten

That is what I was thinking. Writer for 4 is not possible as he moved to Bungie

You would be surprised how much a writer’s work gets tampered with by people who have no buisness tweaking a story.

I would love to see the original draft. I bet it was way different.

I actually thought Halo 4 was the worst story of the franchise. Rushed, little to no character development, and a logic holes. I feel like the rampancy concept wasn’t approached right (Cortana had a mental breakdown when she was supposed to be thinking herself to death), and there was little to no real memorable moments in the campaign. I found it hard to replay it at all. While Halo 5’s I think is better than Halo 4’s, but still not up to par with the rest.

That’s just my opinion, but I have found my opinion to be strongly the same or similar to large portions of communities.

> 2533274887968151;7:
> I actually thought Halo 4 was the worst story of the franchise. Rushed, little to no character development, and a logic holes. I feel like the rampancy concept wasn’t approached right (Cortana had a mental breakdown when she was supposed to be thinking herself to death), and there was little to no real memorable moments in the campaign. I found it hard to replay it at all. While Halo 5’s I think is better than Halo 4’s, but still not up to par with the rest.
>
> That’s just my opinion, but I have found my opinion to be strongly the same or similar to large portions of communities.

Really? Everywhere I look people like 4’s story, but hate the way the campaign actually played. (No ammo, bullet sponges, limited weapons despite high amount of them)

> 2535435901911926;8:
> > 2533274887968151;7:
> > I actually thought Halo 4 was the worst story of the franchise. Rushed, little to no character development, and a logic holes. I feel like the rampancy concept wasn’t approached right (Cortana had a mental breakdown when she was supposed to be thinking herself to death), and there was little to no real memorable moments in the campaign. I found it hard to replay it at all. While Halo 5’s I think is better than Halo 4’s, but still not up to par with the rest.
> >
> > That’s just my opinion, but I have found my opinion to be strongly the same or similar to large portions of communities.
>
>
> Really? Everywhere I look people like 4’s story, but hate the way the campaign actually played. (No ammo, bullet sponges, limited weapons despite high amount of them)

Don’t get me wrong, 4’s Promethean’s were the most annoying things to fight. I hated them in terms of game design. Crawlers were fine, but the knights + watcher was what got me.
And again, it was my opinion. And to be honest, most people I talk to end up agreeing with me on the story. But that’s just my experience. Doesn’t mean they immediately represent the majority.