Halo Mythos: Banished and Cortana enemies?

So I’ve been seeing a lot of discussion on whether these two might be allies in Halo Infinite. Possibly with the “Harbinger” being a rebrand of the Created.

Now there could be a retcon. But in the Halo Mythos book they brought out before Halo Wars 2 it ends with the following section narrated by an AI on the Ark. Page 202.

”For now, they are cut off: failsafe measures beyond their reach have barricaded the only pathway…And now the Arks defences stir, sensing the shadow of a threat that moves in spaces Her eyes cannot see, intent on seizing the great factory of the forerunners.”

Now if Cortana was allied with the Banished then why would they be sneaking around? Trying to avoid her attention. They’re directly referred to as a threat and the passage implies very strongly that Cortana and the Created are getting high on their own supply and taking their eye off the whole protecting humanity thing.

So that’s probably exactly what’s going on in Halo Infinite. The Created are locked out of the rings systems. They’re unaware the Banished are there and their plan. With the story being that they are terrible at their professed job of protecting organic life. I mean if Corfana can’t keep tabs on an Assault Carrier or the Infinity there’s little stopping human colonies being glassed by any raiders.

Just a little tidbit. In the Atriox origin cutscene we see a massive Banished army leaving a ruined human city. That always seemed a little strange since humanity knew almost nothing about them and Atriox only had that much stuff post war. So I reckon that is actually what the Banished are doing in the present. Attacking disarmed human settlements because the Guardians can’t be everywhere at once and they’re bad at keeping the bio trophies alive. :wink:

But yeah I think this was 343 train of though regarding the Banished and Cortana at least before Halo Wars 2 dropped.

At this stage I’m not sure the Created will appear at all

> 2533274846978810;2:
> At this stage I’m not sure the Created will appear at all

As in Halo Wars 2? They could but I don’t see how they can also resolve the Reclaimer Saga, which I think they said would tie up some of those loose threads? So that suggests they aren’t pushing this plot back like they did in Halo Wars 2. As an aside I was kind of annoyed they didn’t add them as one of the four factions which should be in that game (other being Flood).

They could just have anything involving Cortana be cutscenes and you don’t actually fight Prometheans. For example, Chief stops Banished, then rampant Cortana tries to fire her Halo to punish the Brutes and then stops her doing that. So you’d only have to address this at the finale. If they’re determined to not have Prometheans, as little Created as possible and wrap everything up that’s the sort of thing they’d have to do. Although I think that would be a bit jarring.

IMO, if you were at the point where you felt you had to abandon such a major plot point and story beat; you might as well just start over. Do a Halo prequel set during the Human Covenant War with Blue Team. I can’t see a believable way of sidestepping Cortana taking over the galaxy. I don’t think a retcon or resolving it off screen would be a good move.

For example, if the Chief cured Cortana of rampancy between Halo 5 and Infinite. That would reset the clock. But it would be extremely confusing even if you tried to frame that as a mystery in Halo Infinite.

> 2533274803587475;3:
> > 2533274846978810;2:
> > At this stage I’m not sure the Created will appear at all
>
> As in Halo Wars 2? They could but I don’t see how they can also resolve the Reclaimer Saga, which I think they said would tie up some of those loose threads? So that suggests they aren’t pushing this plot back like they did in Halo Wars 2. As an aside I was kind of annoyed they didn’t add them as one of the four factions which should be in that game (other being Flood).
>
> They could just have anything involving Cortana be cutscenes and you don’t actually fight Prometheans. For example, Chief stops Banished, then rampant Cortana tries to fire her Halo to punish the Brutes and then stops her doing that. So you’d only have to address this at the finale. If they’re determined to not have Prometheans, as little Created as possible and wrap everything up that’s the sort of thing they’d have to do. Although I think that would be a bit jarring.
>
> IMO, if you were at the point where you felt you had to abandon such a major plot point and story beat; you might as well just start over. Do a Halo prequel set during the Human Covenant War with Blue Team. I can’t see a believable way of sidestepping Cortana taking over the galaxy. I don’t think a retcon or resolving it off screen would be a good move.
>
> For example, if the Chief cured Cortana of rampancy between Halo 5 and Infinite. That would reset the clock. But it would be extremely confusing even if you tried to frame that as a mystery in Halo Infinite.

Yeah I agree I’m just expecting them to fail storywise. They have been saying that this game is a spiritual reboot with it’s own story and a good jumping point for new fans, introducing Pilot Dude and Escharum instead of using one of the dozens of existing, developed, beloved characters… AND they’re saying that the game will also tie loose ends and conclude the Reclaimer Saga (which they are now for some reason calling the Forerunner Saga?) such as Cortana and the UNSC Infinity. To me that sounds like a trainwreck in the making, but hopefully I’m wrong :slight_smile:

Highly doubt the Banished and the Created would be allies. The Created want all of controlled space under their thumb and while we don’t entirely know the full extent of the Banished’s goals, it’s clearly not to be in anyone’s pockets and I don’t think being 2nd banana to the Created would fly with them. Although I am curious to see how things go if they meet.

IMO the Harbinger is most likely the Didact. There’s no way he’d be on board with the Created taking over the Mantle. The Banished wouldn’t want to live under Cortana’s rule either.

I think that the Didact is using the Banished similar to the Covenant remnant.

> 2533274846978810;4:
> > 2533274803587475;3:
> > > 2533274846978810;2:
> > > At this stage I’m not sure the Created will appear at all
> >
> > As in Halo Wars 2? They could but I don’t see how they can also resolve the Reclaimer Saga, which I think they said would tie up some of those loose threads? So that suggests they aren’t pushing this plot back like they did in Halo Wars 2. As an aside I was kind of annoyed they didn’t add them as one of the four factions which should be in that game (other being Flood).
> >
> > They could just have anything involving Cortana be cutscenes and you don’t actually fight Prometheans. For example, Chief stops Banished, then rampant Cortana tries to fire her Halo to punish the Brutes and then stops her doing that. So you’d only have to address this at the finale. If they’re determined to not have Prometheans, as little Created as possible and wrap everything up that’s the sort of thing they’d have to do. Although I think that would be a bit jarring.
> >
> > IMO, if you were at the point where you felt you had to abandon such a major plot point and story beat; you might as well just start over. Do a Halo prequel set during the Human Covenant War with Blue Team. I can’t see a believable way of sidestepping Cortana taking over the galaxy. I don’t think a retcon or resolving it off screen would be a good move.
> >
> > For example, if the Chief cured Cortana of rampancy between Halo 5 and Infinite. That would reset the clock. But it would be extremely confusing even if you tried to frame that as a mystery in Halo Infinite.
>
> Yeah I agree I’m just expecting them to fail storywise. They have been saying that this game is a spiritual reboot with it’s own story and a good jumping point for new fans, introducing Pilot Dude and Escharum instead of using one of the dozens of existing, developed, beloved characters… AND they’re saying that the game will also tie loose ends and conclude the Reclaimer Saga (which they are now for some reason calling the Forerunner Saga?) such as Cortana and the UNSC Infinity. To me that sounds like a trainwreck in the making, but hopefully I’m wrong :slight_smile:

They already stated the game will still follow the events of Halo 5.