Halo MP will never return to the CE days.

You know why?

Because back then, in 2001, video games, more specifically shooters, were not being played by everyone. Sure, we were damn close, but we weren’t quite there yet.

NOW, games are played by everyone and their mother (in some cases).

I’m saying, for those that want the pistol that kills across Blood Gulch, I’m sorry. Halo is huge, and has to remain accessible to the masses.

Yes, you can have skill gaps. Yes, you can have competitive gameplay. But it has to be FUN for EVERYONE, so that as many people as possible keep putting it back in their consoles.

If you want 1-50, that’s great. I’m not calling you out. I’m mainly speaking to the people that freak out every time something new is added to the formula.

Because if it stays the same game after game after game, the next thing you know, Halo is the next CoD, and that would be a disaster.

Agreed. But just like every other person embracing all the changes,

YOU CAN’T STRAY FROM THE ORIGINAL FORMULA.

Halo: CE was awesome for its time, but come on people, everyone knows its MP wasnt even that good get off your high horses

I mean I loved it at the time, but then Halo 2 came…much better…
Then Halo 3, as good if not better…personally I found it better

Halo Reach, different, frustrating, sometimes annoying but still fun to play (most of the time)

Halo 4, undecided…mainly because it hasnt been released so everyone calm down

> Agreed. But just like every other person embracing all the changes,
>
> YOU CAN’T STRAY FROM THE ORIGINAL FORMULA.

Ditto. Wholeheartedly agreed.

The formula must be respected, or else we get garbage like B&K Nuts and Bolts.

It’s all nostalgia that drives the hate for Halo 4.

I love Halo 2 - It’s my favourite game, ever - but I’m able to look past that and see that Halo needs to innovate or it will be left behind.

I agree, but I’m glad Halo is evolving into something quite different than its former installments. Gives me a reason to pick each one up.

Pretty much, I got over it already. I’l just play the game and get good at it.

To be honest I’d feel a bit ripped off if i had to wait several years for a new Halo game and it was exactly the same as the old one except for better graphics and a new campaign.

> Agreed. But just like every other person embracing all the changes,
>
> YOU CAN’T STRAY FROM THE ORIGINAL FORMULA.

I don’t think any of the games have strayed from the core of halo. If you think of halo like a cake, they all used the same recipe but changed the filling and icing… and then served it with a flavor of icecream a lot of people didn’t like.

It did in Halo Reach except with a few changes to speed the slow gameplay of the original up. Didn’t work out too well according to people…

> You know why?
>
> Because back then, in 2001, video games, more specifically shooters, were not being played by everyone. Sure, we were damn close, but we weren’t quite there yet.
>
> NOW, games are played by everyone and their mother (in some cases).
>
> I’m saying, for those that want the pistol that kills across Blood Gulch, I’m sorry. Halo is huge, and has to remain accessible to the masses.
>
> Yes, you can have skill gaps. Yes, you can have competitive gameplay. But it has to be FUN for EVERYONE, so that as many people as possible keep putting it back in their consoles.
>
> If you want 1-50, that’s great. I’m not calling you out. I’m mainly speaking to the people that freak out every time something new is added to the formula.
>
> Because if it stays the same game after game after game, the next thing you know, Halo is the next CoD, and that would be a disaster.

If your saying that the CE PC multiplayer is gone forever, then good riddents X-treme lag. Although I will miss the maps (except that teleporter maze) and the high movement speed. Along with the smoothest flying banshee in all of Halo.

CE on PC was so incredibly laggy, that it was nearly impossible to get a headshot with a sniper.

The hit registry was so bad, you would shoot someone with a rocket launcher, blood would fly everywhere, and they would fly into the air, but they wouldn’t take any damage.

Same thing with all of the weapons. Although for some reason, the Shotgun seems to have the best hit registry, but even that is still terrible. You would shoot them, blood would come out, and they wouldn’t take damage.

Only about 25% of the shots you hit someone with actually register damage, but nearly 100% make blood come out. I really don’t know how or why the game would create blood without dealing the damage, but it does happen.

Before you say that it’s because I cannot aim and I am making stuff up, go play CE on PC. I believe you can download Custom Edition for free.

May the lag be on your side.

Did I also forget to mention that CE multiplayer had no ranking system, join in progress, and invincible vehicles?

Reach changed the original a little, but I think that the changes Reach made were as far as it should go.

I just don’t like the idea of there no longer being any weapons spawning on the map besides power weapons.

Or the removal of elites

Or the idea of putting a story behind MM. I perferred MM without a story. All a story behind multiplayer does is limit what can be in it. Because of the story, we no longer have elites. And how exactly will the story explain custom games? Why are the Spartans flying around with jetpacks and rocket launchers? It just doesn’t make sense…

And why exactly would covenant power weapons fall from drop pods? Why would there be an energy sword inside a drop pod. Drop pods won’t even fit on most of the maps.

Bloom was also highly disliked in Reach, although I never play ZB playlists as the game was designed with bloom and removing bloom makes the DMR OP, I never liked bloom that much.

I think MM was better without a story.

But I do like the sound of

Better graphics
Higher movement speed
Built in sprint
Recoil
The return of the BR
The Assault Carbine
Any new weapons they make
Spartan Ops (but the name is -Yoink-, just call it Operations)
An Assault Rifle with Bloom (this was the only gun that benefited from bloom)

Nostalgia creates one hell of a blind-spot when it comes to these things.

you can when the technology the formula was based off was many many times inferior to the technology that is out now

> It’s all nostalgia that drives the hate for Halo 4.

Hm… the real truth.

OP, you know “Fun for everyone” is basically the same thing as a casual video game like Farmville right? If everyone made video-games “fun for everyone” we would all be playing Farmville or Pokemon right now, we would never have the hugely deep and skillful games we all love and have grown up with. Accessibility should never become the focus of core video games or real gaming will die and be shoved into obscurity as the demand for “Easier and more fun” games grows. There is a line between core and casual video games and as the core games get closer to that line the closer we get to real gaming dying.

> It’s all nostalgia that drives the hate for Halo 4.
>
> I love Halo 2 - It’s my favourite game, ever - but I’m able to look past that and see that Halo needs to innovate or it will be left behind.

Not entirely. It’s also dissatisfaction. Knowing that H3, ODST, Reach, and even H2 could have been miles better also drives that hate.

H2 could have been even bigger, H3 could have been like H2 and actually added something instead of dumbing down everything (although it did put in some throwbacks to CE: panicking marine, Flood buddies), ODST could have been more different from H3, and Reach could have been the next H2 (seriously, driving a Scarab in a mission, global battles, that would have been incredible and make up for a lot of troublesome things. Instead we get treated to a big tease: TotS’s opening and a big claim: a lot of AI).

OP is right, but it shouldn’t trade its originality to appeal to the masses

> OP, you know “Fun for everyone” is basically the same thing as a casual video game like Farmville right? If everyone made video-games “fun for everyone” we would all be playing Farmville or Pokemon right now, we would never have the hugely deep and skillful games we all love and have grown up with. Accessibility should never become the focus of core video games or real gaming will die and be shoved into obscurity as the demand for “Easier and more fun” games grows. There is a line between core and casual video games and as the core games get closer to that line the closer we get to real gaming dying.

Indeed. There seems to be an attitude in the industry that fun means easy. That a game needs to be easy and everyone needs to be able to feel good at it for the game to be fun. This is not the case, or at least, it shouldn’t be. A game doesn’t need to be easy to be fun. Or, at least, it doesn’t need to force every player to the same level of skill.

Accessibility is whole another thing than easiness. Halo CE was accessible, it could be picked up by anyone. Still, you could also hone your skills to a great degree, essentially as far as you wanted. Many players and game developers are under the impression that a game can’t be enjoyed by less skilled players if skilled players are allowed to succeed at the game. That’s a really, really false assumption.

First of all, the skilled players will succeed no matter what, a little randomness will still allow them to dominate less skilled players, just less efficiently. Secondly, when we have ranking systems such as the TrueSkill, there is really no justification for matching less skilled players with skilled players.

In the end, a game can be accessible for newcomers, it can give an enjoyable playground for anyone who just wants to mess around. But, this does not mean decreasing the skill gap until it’s non-existant. After all, the good players should be playing against good players and the newcomers should be playing against newcomers. In the end, a game that does this succesfully can be more popular than a game that forces everyone onto the same level of skill because the deep gameplay allows the player to progress their skills and at the same time find new ways to play the game.

So, “fun for everyone” doesn’t need to mean “dumbed down”. In fact, looking at the words “fun for everyone” really goes against the way of the execution as an easy game won’t be fun for good players. And, in the end, as I said, it is not an impossiblity to make a game that’s fun for the casual player and fun for the competitive player. It seems that a few years ago this was still known, but has been slowly fading away since the huge increase in casual gaming.

I am willing to bet that a game catered for skilled players and further optimized to be accessible to less skilled players and truly “fun for everyone”, could be as popular and as succesful as the overly dumbed down games that the industry is spewing in hopes of easy money. That kind of game could very well even surprise with its longetivity as, instead of games that have little to no skill gap, it would actually allow players to improve and experience the gameplay in a new way as they do so.

This isn’t going to end well. "Activates Varia Suit*

Metroid Prime is superior. On rails FPS are inferior.