Halo Mega Bloks/Lego question

Hey, I’ve been wondering. How come it’s Mega Bloks who has the license to make official halo sets and NOT Lego?

I ask because Lego seems to be better quality. I bough a Mega Bloks warthog and it wouldn’t stay together.

So can anyone answer this question?

It has something to do with LEGO not wanting to have their name associated with a shooter game rated ‘M’ for mature. IDK if it’s the guns or what exactly it is. Someone on these forums knows more information about it than I do.

Mega Blocks owns the rights due to Lego not wanting to be associated with an M rated shooter at the time due to its mature themes and also probably its primary depiction of the genocide of the human race ( which is stupid seeming as Star Wars has just as many guns if not more, is also rated M and graphically shows the viewer the genocidal murder of the Jedi order and directly sets up the off-screen murder of young children). It also has to do with Mega Blocks getting there first which is understandable seeming as Halo is the only product line they have which isn’t totally crap.

Halo are good quality, you’re probably doing it wrong.

Megabloks is based in Montreal as well so yay! The VP is a big halo fan who likes to play halo as well.

> Mega Blocks owns the rights due to Lego not wanting to be associated with an M rated shooter at the time due to its mature themes and also probably its primary depiction of the genocide of the human race ( which is stupid seeming as Star Wars has just as many guns if not more, is also rated M and graphically shows the viewer the genocidal murder of the Jedi order and directly sets up the off-screen murder of young children). It also has to do with Mega Blocks getting there first which is understandable seeming as Halo is the only product line they have which isn’t totally crap.

true, but I don’t remember Star Wars being rated M. The only M rated Star Wars media is the new 1313 game, but that was announced long after they started making Halo Mega-Blocks.

> > Mega Blocks owns the rights due to Lego not wanting to be associated with an M rated shooter at the time due to its mature themes and also probably its primary depiction of the genocide of the human race ( which is stupid seeming as Star Wars has just as many guns if not more, is also rated M and graphically shows the viewer the genocidal murder of the Jedi order and directly sets up the off-screen murder of young children). It also has to do with Mega Blocks getting there first which is understandable seeming as Halo is the only product line they have which isn’t totally crap.
>
> true, but I don’t remember Star Wars being rated M. The only M rated Star Wars media is the new 1313 game, but that was announced long after they started making Halo Mega-Blocks.

Episode 3 was rated M as were several of the video games such as the old republic, and they have Lego for all those ( though I’m in Australia so that may just be me)

> Mega Blocks owns the rights due to Lego not wanting to be associated with an M rated shooter at the time due to its mature themes and also probably its primary depiction of the genocide of the human race ( which is stupid seeming as Star Wars has just as many guns if not more, is also rated M and graphically shows the viewer the genocidal murder of the Jedi order and directly sets up the off-screen murder of young children). It also has to do with Mega Blocks getting there first which is understandable seeming as Halo is the only product line they have which isn’t totally crap.

I never found out about the reason behind lego not wanting to make halo legos but reading this makes sense. Good post…

ah, that sounds reasonable

I’m slightly addicted to the Halo megabloks collection,
And i think they are made to a very high standard, Only issue i’ve found slightly annoying is Cortana keeps falling off her stand lol.
But apart from that, Aces!

PeacE
ShadEO9

I love the megabloks line. I have every vehicle they have ever release with the exception of the 2 or 3 they just dropped on us. I am losing room! Fortunately, my wife and I are having a home built and she is giving me an entire room in our basement we are going to line with display cases and make a halo museum

> It has something to do with LEGO not wanting to have their name associated with a shooter game rated ‘M’ for mature. IDK if it’s the guns or what exactly it is. Someone on these forums knows more information about it than I do.

They said the same thing about Lord of the Rings at first. “We don’t want it because it’s too violent” is LEGO code for “We were unable to secure a licensing deal to make X”.

I’m a HUGE Mega Bloks fan. (Check my blog for tons of reviews on their toy line- halofanforlife.com )

Mega Bloks quality has gotten better and better over the last couple of years. I have no difficulty building the sets and them staying together.

As well, the pricing between Mega Bloks and LEGO is comparable with Mega Bloks being slightly less per piece.

Above all of this, Mega Bloks kicks LEGO’s -Yoink- in the minifigure department. The Mega figs have no less than 12 points of articulation for the majority of the figs, whereas LEGO has 7. Also, just look at the sculpt of the minifigs. LEGO people are all the same generic build with specialty pieces attached or printed graphics on them. Mega Bloks are sculpted. You want a Spartan EVA? You got it, the shoulder pads, chest armor, helmet. You want a Recon Spartan, again, shoulders, chest, and helmet. But they aren’t printed or some extra piece, they are sculpted pieces.

There is a veritable assortment of colors of spartans too. Red Blue, Green, Orange, Yellow, Pink, Purple. You’d be hard pressed to find that sort of diversity in LEGO, but for maybe Clonetroopers in their Star Wars line.

I’ll be honest that when I first heard Mega Bloks got the license I was like “Who?” I hadn’t heard of them before. However, from the first set I picked up, I knew I was hooked! The minifigs just ROCKED! The price was very affordable and the sets looked like versions from the game but with those building “studs” on them.

Also, if you haven’t noticed, Mega Bloks takes care to make very unique pieces for certain sets. The Covenant Anti Aircraft Turret Vs Rockethog set comes to mind. The three “legs” of the AA are big pieces. Ones you won’t be able to find in any other set and likely won’t be included in any future sets. So Mega Bloks takes a chance on those pieces, knowing that they add a bit more realism to the set. LEGO uses mostly “stock” pieces when designing a set and seldom strays from that formula to produce new pieces. That is unless those new pieces can be used in other sets as well.

As far as LEGO not wanting to be associated with a game like Halo, they have a failed policy. They’ve previously stated that they didn’t want to make war type sets with guns, yet Star Wars is all about that. And there are other examples. If anything, LEGO was shortsighted about the popularity of Halo. Video games converted to building block toys is rare. Star Wars doesn’t count as they were made from the movies first.

Anyway, if you haven’t bought a set of Halo Mega Bloks, I HIGHLY recommend them. If you have, then hopefully you agree with me on the quality of the sets as well as the minifigs.

-Sal (HFFL)

LEGO is against making products for First Person Shooters, regardless of rating.

It really is a shame though. LEGO could have made Halo Wars sets, but 343i probably knew that they couldn’t do any sets for Halo 4 and the rest of the upcoming Halo games, so I will admit that Mega Bloks was probably a better choice in that regard. Though LEGO probably would have been more open to producing sets based on the FPS Halo games if they already held the license and 343i offered enough money.

I’ve also heard that LEGO was offered the licence first, but declined. But I’m starting to suspect that that is a mere rumor, unless someone can provide a source.

I’m planning on making my own LEGO Halo sets, that are unofficial of course, but that will have to wait a bit as I’m still trying to get skilled enough to design a set that people would enjoy, but I think I’me getting close.

> LEGO is against making products for First Person Shooters, regardless of rating.
>
> It really is a shame though. LEGO could have made Halo Wars sets, but 343i probably knew that they couldn’t do any sets for Halo 4 and the rest of the upcoming Halo games, so I will admit that Mega Bloks was probably a better choice in that regard. Though LEGO probably would have been more open to producing sets based on the FPS Halo games if they already held the license and 343i offered enough money.
>
> I’ve also heard that LEGO was offered the licence first, but declined. But I’m starting to suspect that that is a mere rumor, unless someone can provide a source.
>
> I’m planning on making my own LEGO Halo sets, that are unofficial of course, but that will have to wait a bit as I’m still trying to get skilled enough to design a set that people would enjoy, but I think I’me getting close.

Are you using physical bits of lego for your design or that free design tool thing they give for free that lets you order the thing you’ve designed in it?

> It has something to do with LEGO not wanting to have their name associated with a shooter game rated ‘M’ for mature. IDK if it’s the guns or what exactly it is. Someone on these forums knows more information about it than I do.

dont lego do star wars though? theres guns in star wars. and i agree mega blocks suck balls man.

> Are you using physical bits of lego for your design or that free design tool thing they give for free that lets you order the thing you’ve designed in it?

I’m planning them in the free design tool, since there’s a plug in you can get that gives you links to all the pieces on a site called Bricklink, which has pretty low prices for pieces. I’ve got the Warthog all built in real life by now.

> I love the megabloks line. I have every vehicle they have ever release with the exception of the 2 or 3 they just dropped on us. I am losing room! Fortunately, my wife and I are having a home built and she is giving me an entire room in our basement we are going to line with display cases and make a halo museum

ooh, that sounds awesome

> I’m a HUGE Mega Bloks fan. (Check my blog for tons of reviews on their toy line- halofanforlife.com )
>
> Mega Bloks quality has gotten better and better over the last couple of years. I have no difficulty building the sets and them staying together.
>
> As well, the pricing between Mega Bloks and LEGO is comparable with Mega Bloks being slightly less per piece.
>
> Above all of this, Mega Bloks kicks LEGO’s -Yoink!- in the minifigure department. The Mega figs have no less than 12 points of articulation for the majority of the figs, whereas LEGO has 7. Also, just look at the sculpt of the minifigs. LEGO people are all the same generic build with specialty pieces attached or printed graphics on them. Mega Bloks are sculpted. You want a Spartan EVA? You got it, the shoulder pads, chest armor, helmet. You want a Recon Spartan, again, shoulders, chest, and helmet. But they aren’t printed or some extra piece, they are sculpted pieces.
>
> There is a veritable assortment of colors of spartans too. Red Blue, Green, Orange, Yellow, Pink, Purple. You’d be hard pressed to find that sort of diversity in LEGO, but for maybe Clonetroopers in their Star Wars line.
>
> I’ll be honest that when I first heard Mega Bloks got the license I was like “Who?” I hadn’t heard of them before. However, from the first set I picked up, I knew I was hooked! The minifigs just ROCKED! The price was very affordable and the sets looked like versions from the game but with those building “studs” on them.
>
> Also, if you haven’t noticed, Mega Bloks takes care to make very unique pieces for certain sets. The Covenant Anti Aircraft Turret Vs Rockethog set comes to mind. The three “legs” of the AA are big pieces. Ones you won’t be able to find in any other set and likely won’t be included in any future sets. So Mega Bloks takes a chance on those pieces, knowing that they add a bit more realism to the set. LEGO uses mostly “stock” pieces when designing a set and seldom strays from that formula to produce new pieces. That is unless those new pieces can be used in other sets as well.
>
> As far as LEGO not wanting to be associated with a game like Halo, they have a failed policy. They’ve previously stated that they didn’t want to make war type sets with guns, yet Star Wars is all about that. And there are other examples. If anything, LEGO was shortsighted about the popularity of Halo. Video games converted to building block toys is rare. Star Wars doesn’t count as they were made from the movies first.
>
> Anyway, if you haven’t bought a set of Halo Mega Bloks, I HIGHLY recommend them. If you have, then hopefully you agree with me on the quality of the sets as well as the minifigs.
>
> -Sal (HFFL)

you make fare good points. I’ll try a newer set and see if it’s better from the last set i got

Lego’s molding capabilities are impressive. It’s quite an engineering feat to ensure any molded piece will fit into any other piece they’ve ever molded. Injection molded plastic has come a long way, and Lego has a proprietary method that hold the molds to with in 0.002mm. From and engineering standpoint, it’s amazing.

So, what has does this have to do with the OP? Well, some one mentioned quality of the megablocks sets. Lego has been doing this since about 1949. Mega Bloks (formally known as Ritvik) is still relative new compared to Lego. Lego has has over 60 years to refine their product. Ritvik came on the scene in 1967, and was later rebranded as Mega Blocks in 2002.

I got my first Lego set in the 70’s, and was immediately hooked on them. I always hoped that Lego would pick up Halo, but it never happened. I’m not sure why, and it’s a little difficult to say. They make Stars Wars Lego set, and the movies do have some violence to them, but I think that is a moot point. I think it has more to do with having two franchises that deal with space, aliens, and all the associated themes contained therein. Lucas is pretty good at protecting his IP as well as the merchandising, and I’m sure Lego has to pay some royalties for the licensing of such. So, if I had to guess, Lego probably passed because they didn’t want to make a product that would compete with itself, i.e. Halo Lego sales vs. Star Wars Lego sales.

Anyway, just my two cents. :slight_smile:

so my son got the Halo warthog megablok set for Christmas, and I have to say the quality is just not there. within hours of completing the build it has already started falling apart. He is only 7 but has completed numerous lego sets ranging from star wars Jaba’s palace, Pirates of the Caribbean black pearl and Mermaids light house to Lego creator sets… the list goes on (yes he is spoiled, not my fault, first great grand child, grand child, etc, etc. I am personally rebuilding the Warthog myself to ensure he didn’t get lazy on the assembly, but I am already running into many warped parts. I push on one side the other side comes loose, never had that happen on a Lego set, ever! If I can’t get it together so its solid he says he wants to return it. Just my 2 cents… my son just can’t wait to play Halo, but 7 years old is a little young for a M rated game.