Halo is hard.

With all of the hype of Halo MCC, I decided to break out the dusty Xbox 360, and play some halo 3. I expected to stomp, especially in social slayer, I was a major “tryhard” back in the day and would never be seen in a social playlist. Anyway, I quickly realized jumping back into the games on the Halo MCC is going to be a lot harder than I expected and I am looking forward to the challenge of climbing back up in the ranks. I just wanted to share my recent experience and maybe motivate some of you guys to play a little bit of halo 1,2,or 3 if you expect to be a decent contender here in a couple months. I might shed a tear when I get demolished by one of the few people who have still been playing halo 2 on xbc this whole time. Has anyone else decided to jump back into any of the older halo games after a long break?

I just went back into Halo 3 after a 2 year forced hiatus. Dear lord I am awful. It took me about 3 minutes to kill 1 person originally. This was in Social and Team slayer. Slowly I am getting better. I knew I would be bad, just not THAT bad.

I went back to Halo 3 knowing I’d stick the original games on MCC as I never got to play Halo CE or Halo 2 online, and Halo 3 is the closest in gameplay to them.
Getting back into it really is difficult, Halo 3 is a hard game.

As I’ve started playing the game again, I’ve actually began to dislike the multiplayer, not only because I’m bad but because people don’t use variety, out of all the weapons it’s just BR, like Gears of War with the gnasher shotgun. I just can’t master the BR as all these good players can.

I never quit.

For 7 years straight I’ve been playing Halo 3. Even in social slayer you will meet formidable opponents. I come across a lot of fellow 50’s that are in full parties which is very interesting.

It is much harder to rack up the exp nowadays even in social unlike the past where on b.net I had page upon page of 1st’s. Even so I still do really well on a consistent basis even against good players. I’ve found it depends mostly if my team is good or not. I may go 20-5 but my teammates die to much for me to win.

Halo 3 is my bread and butter. I’m pretty sure I’m quite conditioned and prepared for when MCC comes out. Halo 3 is the game I plan to focus on and do the best in. The others I’m just gunna try but not worry if I hit a certain level and can’t go up anymore.

I had left for the simple fact that I moved onto Halo: Reach, and eventually stuff happened and I without XBL for a year or so, and went back on Reach again after.

It’s only really the past 4 or 5 months since I got back on and compared to my 2008-2010 AR fest antics, I’d say I’ve improved a lot. Mainly thanks to people I found playing Social for a bit (the rare times I went on my own, pot luck really).

I was awful for a bit before I got used to stuff obviously but I love the game now. Still need to get to 1000 exp in Social Slayer, my main issue is I’m still on my 2007 Xbox so it’s kinda flakey with the connection. I lag out or lag in general sometimes, it’s a real bummer to lose exp when you lag out of a 30 point led match.

That and bloodshots are my worst enemy, I could make an hour long bloodshot montage out of a single Slayer match. No joke.

This game is really -Yoink!- me off. I haven’t really played Halo 3 for years, and with the MCC coming out, I really wanted to warm up and finally get my 50, but with all these beasts, it’s just not going to happen. I can’t even shoot a BR anymore, and I’ve already lost more than ten matches of Team SWAT, going negative every time.

Even Social Slayer is pretty hard. I can’t play competitively like I did back in 04-09, so maybe ordering MCC was a big mistake.

> This game is really -Yoink!- me off. I haven’t really played Halo 3 for years, and with the MCC coming out, I really wanted to warm up and finally get my 50, but with all these beasts, it’s just not going to happen. I can’t even shoot a BR anymore, and I’ve already lost more than ten matches of Team SWAT, going negative every time.
>
> Even Social Slayer is pretty hard. I can’t play competitively like I did back in 04-09, so maybe ordering MCC was a big mistake.

You’ve got to remember that quitting a skill based game (like the early Halos) for a large chunk of time, it’s going to take a little bit to get back into it. Also, a second thing to remember, you don’t have the random people that just picked the game up, playing anymore. You’re playing against Halo players, not COD players playing Halo. I recently went back to Halo 3 in prep for MCC, and also switched my controller scheme to bumper jumper to try and give myself a boost, and I tell ya what, it’s been “trying”.

I have started playing again after a long absence to try and shake off the rust. I’ve been doing alright I made a new account and got a 50 in TS. But MLG has been a strugglefest for me. Unfortunately I have a very horrible connection and Halo 3 + Bad Connection = FRUSTRATION!!!

That’s pretty much my only issue, Team Snipers is so annoying nowadays since I’m never able to get a game without being yellow bar.

MLG and everything else is fine, though I typically avoid MLG unless I’m going in as a 2 since I usually get bad teammates. Social Slayer is usually an easy win, so long as the game isn’t in bed with the other team, I nearly always quit those games.

Honestly, the hardest thing with Halo 3 is to not rage at the hit reg. Halo 3’-Yoink!- registration is terrible and that’s not an exaggeration. There is hardly any consistency.

I’m playing Halo 3 to brush up on skills and familiarity with the game before the Master Chief Collection. Hopefully the dedicated servers will resolve much of the connectivity issues.

Ehh Halo 3 is easier now than it used to be besides the modders. TS is an easy playlist, MLG isn’t near what it used to be. I’d say the hardest playlist now is doubles or LW(Which has always been difficult).

Honestly Halo 3 is the easiest if the first 3 Halo games. CE is where most players will struggle because it has such a huge skill gap.

Halo is hard. But that’s what makes it so rewarding.

Back in the day I was absolute trash at Halo 2. I’ve never truly put my new skills to the test because schooling gets in the way, but maybe I hope I have the chance to break into the tourney scene.

Until then I’ll be practicing trilogy gameplay in MCC.

Yea, and it depends on the playlist too. Some people in social aren’t so bad to play against, but those ranked games are insane most of the time.