Halo is dead, cut the life support.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not call out individuals. This includes forum members, moderators, administrators, and non-forum members.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

A few years back, upon hearing that Bungie was stepping away from Halo with out even a look back on Reach, I was disgusted. I was mad at how Bungie had treated the longtime fans of their series and for moving away so quickly. I said to my friends the day I learned they were shutting down Bungie Pro and Bungie File Sharing support, and I quote:

“Bungie should realize that the fans like Halo, not them. They can’t assume people will love them because they are Bungie, they need to make good games as well.”

Two years later I am eating my words as the worst has happened. Bungie’s Destiny is looking to revolutionize competetive play, and Halo 4 struggles by with less than 40,000 players less than six months after launch.

And now, This.

A complete admission by 343i that they want to cater to the casual crowd and remove what made Halo HALO in the first place. Regardless of whether the changed elements were successful or not? 343 has systematically changed everything about the “rich and wonderful” universe they have created. Think about it.

Master Chief: No longer the silent protagonist, he is a sad sack after Cortana’s death.

Cortana: Killed, straight up in a way more contrived than Johnson’s death in Halo 3. Why there was no community outcry by this I have no idea.

Dr. Halsey: Now compared to -Yoink!- scientists and a war criminal, and hunted by the UNSC despite 3 books and Halo Reach telling us the opposite. One of the most beloved characters is despised now for no real reason.

The Forerunners: No longer considered kind, yet somewhat overbearing demi-gods, Greg Bear made sure over 3 books that we would hate every single one of them.

Ancient Humans: Ugh

The Flood: Are now…Precursors. And I’m not sure if we are gonna be fighting them or hating them, or what.

ONI: Are now corrupt people, yet are good because they want to kill Doctor Halsey. Apparently we are supposed to just ignore the Mona Lisa incident and believe Admiral P and Osman are lovable teddy bears.

Everything has been changed for no real reason. But I have digressed.

What 343i has completely forgotten is that yes, kiddy-proofing the game brought on some very short term population increases. On day one there were almost a million people playing on American servers, but look at the game now. Less than 2k people on average per play list. There never was any sort of explosion of new Custom Games or Forge types–due to the severely shrunk sandbox. And now, they are preparing to release the third map pack in three months.

When will you stop kidding yourselves 343i?

When have you ever canvased the community to get an overall opinion?

When have you ever asked us about serious game changers like Instant Respawn, weapon drops, and ordinance?

And to the defenders of the piss-poor community directors at 343, when have they ever come close to delivering an apology, or an admission that they screwed up in any way when developing Call of Halo 4? None! It has always been the community’s fault for not accepting the change, or for not giving them enough time and making a game is so gosh darn hard as Frankie complained in a recent update. Come Christmas they were still posting bragging blogs on the News Feed about how happy they are about good their game is and how if they have that many awards the game must be perfect and the community just isn’t patient enough.

That is if they talk about the game at all, now all the News is about fundraising events, faux pro gaming tournys, pictures from some sort of event that one poor programmer has to attend, or cute lil pictures of an awesome Halo tattoo that a community guy got! Or a sign that says Halsey Street! Wow! Thats neat, now how about news or conversation about a Trueskill rank being visible in game or news about a change to Custom settings, oh, okay then. I guess that’s why she is called [CLASSIFIED].

The mindset 343i has isn’t even top down or overbearing, they just ignore us. Even now I imagine this thread will get locked by a mod because for once someone is asking a hard question. How all I can do is tell the community what we have to do, because with this latest comment from them about how the game should be “accessible” they have killed Halo.

Halo 5 will be the same as Halo 4. They have shown as long as a 14 year old Call of Duty fan buys the game, he can never touch it again and they will be pleased. All they have to do to keep us, the real Halo fans around, is to occasionally add some fan service in the form of a useless Battle Rifle, or a map remake, or a special armor set.

Well I say enough is enough. I propose a complete boycott of all 343i products.

Do NOT buy the Castle Map Pack.

Do not buy ANYTHING relating to Halo on the XBL Marketplace.

Do NOT buy Halo 4, any new books, posters, memorabilia, ANYTHING that will bring a profit to 343i, or Microsoft with the Halo name on it.

That means yes, not buying Halo 5 when they inevitably announce it. I for one will be renting it for the campaign, and returning it the next day, or even just watching the playthroughs that will be on youtube.

Show them that the largest and most vocal part of their community that is left is not to be messed with. Show them we want a REAL Halo, with REAL community/developer interaction. Show them that we like HALO games, not crap developed to appeal to the masses.

Halo is dead. The time has come to pull the life support.

A fitting metaphor, considering they feel “casual” players are handicapped anyway.

I think they’re just cutting out the cancer.

People really like the word “casual” despite constantly misusing it.

Nah. Your opinion won’t make me stop playing Halo.

Their panel was about the mindset they had when they developed Halo 4. It’s not what everyone wants to hear but it doesn’t mean this is how they will make their future Halo titles as well.

Yes it does…they are catering to the Little Timmy’s of the world who can’t bear to lose a MP game without rail guns or rocket launchers…they haven’t said anything to show that isn’t their current mindset.

Your pop point is invalid

Edited by Moderator - Please do not flame/attack others.

*Original post, click at your own discretion.

> Their panel was about the mindset they had when they developed Halo 4. It’s not what everyone wants to hear but it doesn’t mean this is how they will make their future Halo titles as well.

…That mindset is what made them money in the first place. If it angers a few veterans of the series what do they care? As long as they make money they are happy. You misunderstand my post.

They are going to keep making dumbbed down games and alienating the people who were drawn to the game because of its purity, and that is what they want, because the market is bigger.

They are selling the soul of what makes Halo what it is, in order to rebrand the game so they think more people will buy it.

To everyone else commenting above. Fine, keep playing this watered-down slop, but know that you are the cancer that infected Halo in the first place, and are the reason why the game is dying because of what 343 is doing to change things in the wrong direction.

Your not the largest. By that logic more people hated halo 2 than not because the bungie forums were bad if not worse.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

> > Their panel was about the mindset they had when they developed Halo 4. It’s not what everyone wants to hear but it doesn’t mean this is how they will make their future Halo titles as well.
>
> …That mindset is what made them money in the first place. If it angers a few veterans of the series what do they care? As long as they make money they are happy. You misunderstand my post.
>
> They are going to keep making dumbbed down games and alienating the people who were drawn to the game because of its purity, and that is what they want, because the market is bigger.
>
> They are selling the soul of what makes Halo what it is, in order to rebrand the game so they think more people will buy it.
>
>
> To everyone else commenting above. Fine, keep playing this watered-down slop, but know that you are the cancer that infected Halo in the first place, and are the reason why the game is dying because of what 343 is doing to change things in the wrong direction.

People like a game so we are wrong? Your a loser and an idiot.