Halo Infinite Sound Design

Thank you very much 343 i. for doing away with those squeaky hit marker and shield regeneration sound effects from Halo 5. The sound and score in the Halo: Infinite Demo seem excellent and very based. Halo 4 and 5 were aesthetically very video gamey which at the time felt fresh in certain ways yet it’s comforting hearing Halo: Infinite return to its sound roots (punn intended).

I appreciate how much time & energy you put into Halo: Infinite Field Recordings.

I love the sound design too!

I wasn’t a fan. The guns all sounded quiet and weak like they did in Halo 3.

I prefer the Halo 5 shield sounds. The old sounds are a little too retro. Pretty cliche.

I think the warthog could sound meatier and the bulldog/shotgun could sound heavier, but other than that, I mean… with the ambient sounds and the grunts talking and the explosions, it really was amazing. Maybe I should rewatch the gameplay with headphones this time.

Halo Infinite’s sound design overall is phenomenal. And the music is french kiss It’s absolutely amazing and I think that’s something a lot of people seem to be agreeing on.

> 2535457065380574;4:
> I think the warthog could sound meatier and the bulldog/shotgun could sound heavier, but other than that, I mean… with the ambient sounds and the grunts talking and the explosions, it really was amazing. Maybe I should rewatch the gameplay with headphones this time.

Agree, I would especially like a beefier sounding warthog and a little more akin to the classic sound

On the Series X they said that Halo Infinite will take advantage of the dedicated audio chip, taking its sound to the next level! So that’s gonna be sweet. Let’s not forget y’all the official sound design promotion videos 343 i. put out half a year ago.

I have the opposite opinion tbh, the guns sounded almost identical to Halo 5 and seem quite generic, lacks that iconic Halo sound. The shield recharge and music is dope though

it has everything infinite halo

I gotta be honest I think quality wise Halo 5 has the best sound design of the series by a long shot. If they keep the quality of the sounds with the nuances of Halo 5 and adapt it to new ones I’m totally aboard.

[deleted]

> 2535419739414165;11:
> The Warthog sounded so gnarly!

I feel the same way. Is that a turbo I hear?

> 2535457065380574;4:
> I think the warthog could sound meatier and the bulldog/shotgun could sound heavier, but other than that, I mean… with the ambient sounds and the grunts talking and the explosions, it really was amazing. Maybe I should rewatch the gameplay with headphones this time.

The Warthog in past games sounds like an air conditioning unit without bass. The shotgun in Halo 5 sounds like somebody biting a potato chip next to a microphone. Headphones will probably transmit the lower frequencies better.

We all can have our opinions…I think the sound design was one of the most impressive things about the demo.

As far as sound design goes, I also enjoyed those moments where you could hear the natural landscape of it all. The music was beautiful for sure, I just think it was accentuated by how it evolved as the player was moving to though the world (coming in during the action, spanning the area, cutscenes, that kinda stuff). Can’t wait to explore this ring.

> 2533274925306006;8:
> I have the opposite opinion tbh, the guns sounded almost identical to Halo 5 and seem quite generic, lacks that iconic Halo sound. The shield recharge and music is dope though

I agree the guns sound like halo 5, but halo 5 added some needed punch to the guns, so I dont mind. Halo 2 I feel like had the best gun sounds before that, halo 3 sounded weak.

> 2533274848663644;15:
> > 2533274925306006;8:
> > I have the opposite opinion tbh, the guns sounded almost identical to Halo 5 and seem quite generic, lacks that iconic Halo sound. The shield recharge and music is dope though
>
> I agree the guns sound like halo 5, but halo 5 added some needed punch to the guns, so I dont mind. Halo 2 I feel like had the best gun sounds before that, halo 3 sounded weak.

Yeah I get you, the UNSC gun sounds in Halo 2A are amazing. For me it’s mainly the covenant weapons that are the most iconic and is noticeably absent.

From a technology standpoint, Halo Infinite sounds very good. But from an artistic standpoint, 343 still has a -Yoink!- for slightly emphasizing midrange and upper midrange weapon sounds that can be grating to the ears. I’m hoping 343 gives us a lot of highly detailed audio options/settings in Infinite, including an option for extended bass frequencies for those of us who have subwoofers that can go below 30 Hz.

> 2533274822068856;17:
> From a technology standpoint, Halo Infinite sounds very good. But from an artistic standpoint, 343 still has a -Yoink!- for slightly emphasizing midrange and upper midrange weapon sounds that can be grating to the ears. I’m hoping 343 gives us a lot of highly detailed audio options/settings in Infinite, including an option for extended bass frequencies for those of us who have subwoofers that can go below 30 Hz.

Did you hear the sidekick pistol squeak during the reload animation? I think I did.