Halo Infinite should be a next gen exclusive

Before my PC brethren act out, when I say next gen I also mean PC. With that out of the way, let’s get to the point, which is pretty simple; Halo Infinite should only be playable on next gen (and PC). Why? For so many reasons but the main one is that even with the delay, Infinite is Xbox’s flagship title. So when a supposedly next gen game is playable on hardware made in 2013, I struggle calling it a next gen game. To add to that, the fact that they have to make the base game playable on the OG Xbox One, must mean the game has limitations because they still need it to run on current gen. If Infinite was a next gen exclusive, we’d see better graphics and optimization for the entire game (that is supposed to last us 10 YEARS). 343 probably can’t do much to change that now but oh well.

Despite what MS wants to say, I thoroughly believe that the base Xbox One is holding back the possibilities with infinite. Things like AI and physics simulation is dependent on CPU, and the Xbone doesn’t bring much to the table on that front.

I’m fine with it to be honest, that way i can still play Halo without having to buy a series X and i can buy a PS5, it’s a win - win for me.

With the delay I think it is even more pointless to try and release this on xbox one. All of the improvements that are going to be made are graphical and performance based in nature. I think 343 should go all out, dump the xbox one and make one version of the game look and run the best that it can.

> 2533274890380727;1:
> Before my PC brethren act out, when I say next gen I also mean PC. With that out of the way, let’s get to the point, which is pretty simple; Halo Infinite should only be playable on next gen (and PC). Why? For so many reasons but the main one is that even with the delay, Infinite is Xbox’s flagship title. So when a supposedly next gen game is playable on hardware made in 2013, I struggle calling it a next gen game. To add to that, the fact that they have to make the base game playable on the OG Xbox One, must mean the game has limitations because they still need it to run on current gen. If Infinite was a next gen exclusive, we’d see better graphics and optimization for the entire game (that is supposed to last us 10 YEARS). 343 probably can’t do much to change that now but oh well.

Boy, you’re gonna wanna sit down… You had my support all the way up til the very end. Idk how many times I have to say it. Graphics. Scale. GRAPHICS. SCALE. The 2013 Xbox One is not going to hold back graphic fidelity on the Series X. Gameplay features and such will be held back by the Xbox One. They aren’t going to revamp their whole game in a year.

Guys who of you does know how the engine works, how the Code looks, how the Xbox works, what they use to build the game,…?

Could you please explain why cross gen should make the game worse? Pc Games are technically cross gen as well… Yeah right they look awful because they can run on different Hardware build.

Absolutely not. I’m not wasting my money on a new console for one game. Plus it’s crossplay so why bother?

> 2533274890380727;1:
> Before my PC brethren act out, when I say next gen I also mean PC. With that out of the way, let’s get to the point, which is pretty simple; Halo Infinite should only be playable on next gen (and PC). Why? For so many reasons but the main one is that even with the delay, Infinite is Xbox’s flagship title. So when a supposedly next gen game is playable on hardware made in 2013, I struggle calling it a next gen game. To add to that, the fact that they have to make the base game playable on the OG Xbox One, must mean the game has limitations because they still need it to run on current gen. If Infinite was a next gen exclusive, we’d see better graphics and optimization for the entire game (that is supposed to last us 10 YEARS). 343 probably can’t do much to change that now but oh well.

It depends if 343 can make it work well across all of the platforms with XSX, PC, and XBO.

I have to disagree. Halo is in a bad state. Its make your break time for it. Being “next gen” isn’t going to get it far if the game is still crap. Great game play is what will make or break the game in the long run and with current gen tech you can make a great game with great game play. Graphics and all the little details than a minority care about in the end won’t keep it alive. Does it still need to look great? Yes it does but in the end if we don’t have something that is almost flawless game play wise, it won’t matter how pretty the raytracing makes the game looks.

It wouldn’t surprise me if they dumped the Xbox One port. When Halo 3 came out, Bungie didn’t make a downscaled version of the game for og Xbox (probably because the project was too big for the first system and Halo was popular enough back then to undoubtedly sell consoles) and when Halo 5 came out 343 didn’t release it on 360, and that system still had games coming out up to 2017-18, many of which required installation before playing.

> 2533274966926413;10:
> It wouldn’t surprise me if they dumped the Xbox One port. When Halo 3 came out, Bungie didn’t make a downscaled version of the game for og Xbox (probably because the project was too big for the first system and Halo was popular enough back then to undoubtedly sell consoles) and when Halo 5 came out 343 didn’t release it on 360, and that system still had games coming out up to 2017-18, many of which required installation before playing.

The original xbox’s archetexture was also really weird. Its why it was so difficult for cross compatibility and why old games needed updates for the 360 to properly run them (if they got patches at all). Its why 343 keeps using the PC port for their re-releases of CE (pretty sure H2A is using Halo 2 vista as a base too), because they dont want to have to deal with that mess again.

Most consoles now are effectively PC’s so this isnt really a problem.

The thing is, with a PC port, there’s gonna be options for those with potato-pc’s to run it. Said potato pc settings are probably going to end up well within the Xbox One’s capabilities.

It should be an Xbox Series X game and downgraded to Xbox One.

The current state of it being an Xbox One game and ported to Xbox Series X at 4k60fps is a very very bad decision. (Halo Infinite's Xbox One Version Won't Be 'Second-Class' Says Halo Boss - IGN)

> 2533274966926413;10:
> It wouldn’t surprise me if they dumped the Xbox One port. When Halo 3 came out, Bungie didn’t make a downscaled version of the game for og Xbox (probably because the project was too big for the first system and Halo was popular enough back then to undoubtedly sell consoles) and when Halo 5 came out 343 didn’t release it on 360, and that system still had games coming out up to 2017-18, many of which required installation before playing.

Because Halo 3 came out 2 years after the xbox 360 launch, same with Halo 5, that game came out 2 years after the xbox one launch.

Infinite was supposed to come out at the same time as the Series X, and many people are just not going to buy a $500 console (or however much it costs) for one game, specially given the current situation of the world, so having it for the xbox one too is a good call, it’s on gamepass after all.

You know, prior to the announcement that Infinite is going to be an evolving 10 year project, I wouldn’t have minded having a Xbox One version to go along with the fancypants Series X version. Now, I think that dropping the X1 version is the best possible thing that 343 could do. Imagine the headache of trying to develop new content for Infinite 5 years down the line and still having to accommodate the archaic X1 architecture. It would be the best thing for Microsoft/343 to just drop the current gen version now and announce that Infinite is going full next gen. It will annoy a lot of people, but will save everyone from a lot of future pain.

Graphics can be scaled down for older consoles, this is common practice for even the best looking PC games; they’re scaled down for low-end GPUs. Don’t worry about graphics.

Some games can be CPU-heavy due to complex mechanics and/or many objects (including players). The arena shooter aspects of Halo Infinite will probably not be held back by last-gen consoles in this regard. However, some big new gamemode or feature ideas may have been nixed to accommodate lower-end CPUs (on console and PC). Battlefield, for example, tends to be heavy on CPU usage in multiplayer, due to the high player count and everything going on in the environment. Halo Infinite should be able to match the Battlefield franchise in complexity, since they have titles on last-gen hardware, though they’ll probably hold off on destructible buildings (and spend the CPU calculations on something else).

The faster SSD on the XSX will still help Halo Infinite with load times in campaign mode, and there will probably just be a loading popup that kicks in when the game needs to catch up (on slower hardware). This probably won’t affect multiplayer, aside from load time into the match.

Note that GTA5 and BF4 launched on the X360, so Halo Infinite should be able to run “well enough” to be a cross-gen game while still being obviously better on the XSX. If they really need to, they can make some gamemodes (or future DLC) be next-gen exclusives (with higher minimum specs for PC).

I think they should dump Xbox One, maybe keep Xbox One X.

Graphics can scale that’s for sure. What cannot scale is CPU. CPU is an important part of AI, of networking and physics. If you want a game with realistic physics simulations you can’t just turn them down for people on Xbox One. Moreover, I don’t need the 4k 60fps. I would rather have 1440p 60fps with a more intractable and granular sandbox.
You can see the limitations of the physics in Halo Infinite in the gameplay demo. If you look after the brutes drop in, but before Master Chief gets on the lift, you will notice pieces of debris floating on the ground. You’ll also notice dead enemies disappearing and blood splatters that don’t actually affect the environment.

Like what is the point in buying an Xbox Series X if Halo Infinite will run (let’s say) 1080p 60fps on the Xbox One X. Is $500 dollars worth it just for an upgrade to 4k? I don’t think so. I’d rather see Halo Infinite 60fps 1440p on Xbox Series X and then take full advantage of the CPU to deliver awesome physics, AI, and networking. That will then set the min spec for PC.

I want this to be a game that makes people want to buy the new Xbox Series X to play it as it is meant to be played. I don’t want to have to wait 10 years for a Halo Game that is not held back at all by the Xbox One.

> 2533274843875149;13:
> > 2533274966926413;10:
> > It wouldn’t surprise me if they dumped the Xbox One port. When Halo 3 came out, Bungie didn’t make a downscaled version of the game for og Xbox (probably because the project was too big for the first system and Halo was popular enough back then to undoubtedly sell consoles) and when Halo 5 came out 343 didn’t release it on 360, and that system still had games coming out up to 2017-18, many of which required installation before playing.
>
> Because Halo 3 came out 2 years after the xbox 360 launch, same with Halo 5, that game came out 2 years after the xbox one launch.
>
> Infinite was supposed to come out at the same time as the Series X, and many people are just not going to buy a $500 console (or however much it costs) for one game, specially given the current situation of the world, so having it for the xbox one too is a good call, it’s on gamepass after all.

boy, i bought a ps4 just for spider-man.

> 2533274966926413;17:
> > 2533274843875149;13:
> > > 2533274966926413;10:
> > > It wouldn’t surprise me if they dumped the Xbox One port. When Halo 3 came out, Bungie didn’t make a downscaled version of the game for og Xbox (probably because the project was too big for the first system and Halo was popular enough back then to undoubtedly sell consoles) and when Halo 5 came out 343 didn’t release it on 360, and that system still had games coming out up to 2017-18, many of which required installation before playing.
> >
> > Because Halo 3 came out 2 years after the xbox 360 launch, same with Halo 5, that game came out 2 years after the xbox one launch.
> >
> > Infinite was supposed to come out at the same time as the Series X, and many people are just not going to buy a $500 console (or however much it costs) for one game, specially given the current situation of the world, so having it for the xbox one too is a good call, it’s on gamepass after all.
>
> boy, i bought a ps4 just for spider-man.

You missed the “many people” part

> 2533274836669416;5:
> > 2533274890380727;1:
> > Before my PC brethren act out, when I say next gen I also mean PC. With that out of the way, let’s get to the point, which is pretty simple; Halo Infinite should only be playable on next gen (and PC). Why? For so many reasons but the main one is that even with the delay, Infinite is Xbox’s flagship title. So when a supposedly next gen game is playable on hardware made in 2013, I struggle calling it a next gen game. To add to that, the fact that they have to make the base game playable on the OG Xbox One, must mean the game has limitations because they still need it to run on current gen. If Infinite was a next gen exclusive, we’d see better graphics and optimization for the entire game (that is supposed to last us 10 YEARS). 343 probably can’t do much to change that now but oh well.
>
> Boy, you’re gonna wanna sit down… You had my support all the way up til the very end. Idk how many times I have to say it. Graphics. Scale. GRAPHICS. SCALE. The 2013 Xbox One is not going to hold back graphic fidelity on the Series X. Gameplay features and such will be held back by the Xbox One. They aren’t going to revamp their whole game in a year.

I got no clue on specifics bud, but I was just using graphics as an initial thought while typing. Regardless, my initial statement stands.

Absolutely; the Xbox One’s hardware is mid-range by 2013 standards, and it will be seven or eight years old by the time Infinite comes out. If Halo Infinite is going to be a 10 year experience then they are probably going to drop support for the Xbox One version anyway at some point, so there is no point holding the game back.

Someone in another thread suggested that if Microsoft stills wants to offer the game to Xbox One owners, they can stream it over xCloud. I think this is a fantastic idea, as it gives Xbox One players the option to enjoy the game without holding it back for Series X and PC owners.