Halo Infinite Progression and Unlocks

I think most of us can agree that the Halo 5 style of unlocking customizations was awful. The Halo Reach progression in MCC wasn’t super bad, but to me it doesn’t feel as rewarding as unlocking armor for an achievement. You unlock nameplates for certain actions, but still, I want to be able to unlock assassinations, armor, and weapon skins through ACHIEVEMENTS. And please give us something special or completing the campaign on different difficulty so we can show off that we bought the game and beat it
(i.e. confetti death for easy completion, Haunted helmet for normal, lighting armor effect for heroic, and flaming helmet effect for legendary)

If Infinite has MTs, it should only be for cosmetics. Some people think that multiplayer will be f2p, so here’s how I think it should be:
-Full game buyers/gamepass subscribers should have complete access to unlocking customizations through achievements, but can still buy cosmetics
-F2P players should be required to buy the cosmetics until the buy the full game
-F2P players should have access to fewer modes, like no forge, no theater, and maybe fewer MP gamemodes? I don’t think the fewer gamemodes would work too well because it would break some of the player base of the full game modes, forcing others to play the certain modes accessible by F2P

What do you think?

Honestly I wish that Halo Infinite would have Reach’s customization with Halo 5’s vastness of armors. That would be the ultimate customization.

Honestly I can’t say I’ve really enjoyed any Halo games armor progression. Halo 3’s achievement based system for unlocks was awful if you happen to like certain armor pieces like Elite Commando or Security. Reach, Halo 5 and MCC were a long tedious grind in their own ways. By default I guess I enjoyed Halo 4’s progression just because it was mercifully short.

Personally I think getting the armor you want should be relatively trivial, and you should only need to “grind” if you want to collect all the armor sets. No one should have to grind for hours and/or do dreary “challenges” just because someone arbitrarily decided that the one armor they like is the high rank E-status armor rather than another.

If you want to grind for status than leave that for nameplates or maybe armor effects.

If it were up to me the armor system and progression would superficially resemble Reach, only there are no limits on what you can buy and all items of a similar type cost the same number of credits. So a MK VI helmet costs the same as ODST helmet which cost the same as the Scout helmet, etc.

As far as MTX goes, we shouldn’t have any, but if we do it should all be post game. MTX’s should only be introduced with post launch brand new cosmetics(no recycled old armor or content held back from launch) that are independent from the vanilla options. You wouldn’t be able to earn it in game, it would just be a simple, straightforward business transaction without the manipulative game design.

I think a mix of halo 3 and reach would be nice, with the amount of variety that halo 5 had.

> 2535425366565481;2:
> Honestly I wish that Halo Infinite would have Reach’s customization with Halo 5’s vastness of armors. That would be the ultimate customization.

I agree, however, I would still like to see some customization available from achievements.

As a reply to all so far, a mix of Reach and 3 would be better. Having most armor unlockable by ingame currency that CANT be bought, and then some armor unlocked by an achievement I think is best. Halo 5 did have a lot of cool armor, but there is also a limit as to how much is too much. Halo 5 had too much. We don’t need so many helmets and armor that we can sit there for 15 minutes or more looking at each piece… some were even just an altered paint job which was annoying imo

I’d love something similar to Halo Reach but also mix it in with Halo 3’s System too.
Credits to buy what you want and have plenty of choice and variants of each piece but also have certain stuff locked behind achievements or challenges too.

I think Halo Infinite’s should go the way Halo Reach had it with unlocking customizations with credits and some stuff only unlockable via achievements in the game and across past titles (like back in Reach also). Maybe they could have the different dlc exclusive to the retail store you got it from like what they tried doing with some armor skins in Halo 4.

I think certain unlocks should be tied to campaign-related tasks. None of these should require co-op (i.e., there can be something for beating the game on legendary, doesn’t matter if you do that solo or co-op). This would be consistent with past games and I think it makes sense players get rewarded for accomplishing particular things on the campaign side of the game. I loved rocking the Security armor in H3. I am actually using that helmet right now during my early days of playing H5!

On the multiplayer side, I just wish they found a way to make grind-able gear easier to obtain from nearly any game type. From my limited experience with H5 online so far, it seems like Warzone is the way to go if you’re looking to unlock armor, skins, etc.

> 2737009059272856;9:
> I think certain unlocks should be tied to campaign-related tasks. None of these should require co-op (i.e., there can be something for beating the game on legendary, doesn’t matter if you do that solo or co-op). This would be consistent with past games and I think it makes sense players get rewarded for accomplishing particular things on the campaign side of the game. I loved rocking the Security armor in H3. I am actually using that helmet right now during my early days of playing H5!
>
> On the multiplayer side, I just wish they found a way to make grind-able gear easier to obtain from nearly any game type. From my limited experience with H5 online so far, it seems like Warzone is the way to go if you’re looking to unlock armor, skins, etc.

Warzone I think is the best way because it awards REQ packs and points for matches. I think arena does too, but less of it. Even then, I’m not a fan of the REQ system at all, especially when I found out my favorite armor pieces could only be unlocked RANDOMLY… and there’s like 200 helmets to go through! Infinite needs to go back to a mix progression of credits and achievements. And yes something to show off what difficulty you beat the campaign on too would be awesome.

I want a hybrid of Reach and H4. The level of customization but also the method of unlock. Most behind play time and XP (Reach) while others are tied behind commendations (Halo 4). I also personally prefer it when the ranks are not numbers but have actual names

> 2535433024916972;1:
> I think most of us can agree that the Halo 5 style of unlocking customizations was awful. The Halo Reach progression in MCC wasn’t super bad, but to me it doesn’t feel as rewarding as unlocking armor for an achievement. You unlock nameplates for certain actions, but still, I want to be able to unlock assassinations, armor, and weapon skins through ACHIEVEMENTS. And please give us something special or completing the campaign on different difficulty so we can show off that we bought the game and beat it
> (i.e. confetti death for easy completion, Haunted helmet for normal, lighting armor effect for heroic, and flaming helmet effect for legendary)

what about the assassination where you stick them with a plasma grenade unlocks after 100 sticks

> 2535467938018614;12:
> > 2535433024916972;1:
> > I think most of us can agree that the Halo 5 style of unlocking customizations was awful. The Halo Reach progression in MCC wasn’t super bad, but to me it doesn’t feel as rewarding as unlocking armor for an achievement. You unlock nameplates for certain actions, but still, I want to be able to unlock assassinations, armor, and weapon skins through ACHIEVEMENTS. And please give us something special or completing the campaign on different difficulty so we can show off that we bought the game and beat it
> > (i.e. confetti death for easy completion, Haunted helmet for normal, lighting armor effect for heroic, and flaming helmet effect for legendary)
>
> what about the assassination where you stick them with a plasma grenade unlocks after 100 sticks

Yeah that would fall under unlocking something for an achievement. If you go look at Titanfall 2, all their executions except for 4 of them are unlocked by doing certain actions (Executing pilots while cloaked, getting 75 pilot executions). The other 4 executions they have are unlocked by in game credits, which is the way Halo Reach made the cosmetics. It keeps players playing to unlock things when they can see how to unlock and actually try to get it on the basis that you can get it if you do this. Halo 5 was only a sliver of hope to unlock something.

> 2535433024916972;1:
> If Infinite has MTs, it should only be for cosmetics. Some people think that multiplayer will be f2p, so here’s how I think it should be:
> -Full game buyers/gamepass subscribers should have complete access to unlocking customizations through achievements, but can still buy cosmetics
> -F2P players should be required to buy the cosmetics until the buy the full game
> -F2P players should have access to fewer modes, like no forge, no theater, and maybe fewer MP gamemodes? I don’t think the fewer gamemodes would work too well because it would break some of the player base of the full game modes, forcing others to play the certain modes accessible by F2P

Given that Infinite is a first party title I really doubt that it will be F2P. Microsoft is really trying to push Xbox game pass and making their biggest game F2P would undermine game pass. We will probably see the return of the esports cosmetics and other MTs but I think Infinite will focus on game pass revenue instead of an elaborate micro transaction system like the F2P battle royales.

> 2737009059272856;9:
> I think certain unlocks should be tied to campaign-related tasks. None of these should require co-op (i.e., there can be something for beating the game on legendary, doesn’t matter if you do that solo or co-op). This would be consistent with past games and I think it makes sense players get rewarded for accomplishing particular things on the campaign side of the game. I loved rocking the Security armor in H3. I am actually using that helmet right now during my early days of playing H5!
>
> On the multiplayer side, I just wish they found a way to make grind-able gear easier to obtain from nearly any game type. From my limited experience with H5 online so far, it seems like Warzone is the way to go if you’re looking to unlock armor, skins, etc.

I really liked the unlocks from challenges in Campaign. Especially the “extra” stuff like skulls and terminals that required some exploration/tricky movement puzzles. Honestly I don’t really know what is going on with the story/lore but the little easter eggs encourage someone like me to boot up the campaign and get immersed in the world.

> 2535431933064458;15:
> > 2737009059272856;9:
> > I think certain unlocks should be tied to campaign-related tasks. None of these should require co-op (i.e., there can be something for beating the game on legendary, doesn’t matter if you do that solo or co-op). This would be consistent with past games and I think it makes sense players get rewarded for accomplishing particular things on the campaign side of the game. I loved rocking the Security armor in H3. I am actually using that helmet right now during my early days of playing H5!
> >
> > On the multiplayer side, I just wish they found a way to make grind-able gear easier to obtain from nearly any game type. From my limited experience with H5 online so far, it seems like Warzone is the way to go if you’re looking to unlock armor, skins, etc.
>
> I really liked the unlocks from challenges in Campaign. Especially the “extra” stuff like skulls and terminals that required some exploration/tricky movement puzzles. Honestly I don’t really know what is going on with the story/lore but the little easter eggs encourage someone like me to boot up the campaign and get immersed in the world.

Agreed. Music to my ears on that front. When I was playing H2/H3 a lot I was actively involved in the glitching community (use to be a mod over on HIH if that wonderful community sounds familiar). I remember the “HI BEN” hunt craze like it was yesterday. It was insane how much those little hints Bungie gave us took the H2 community by storm.

IMO the best system would be to have everything required to be unlocked (credits or achievements, not paid for whatsoever). Then, you can buy armor skins that are only able to be equipped when you have that base armor set unlocked.

> 2535453407941985;14:
> > 2535433024916972;1:
> > If Infinite has MTs, it should only be for cosmetics. Some people think that multiplayer will be f2p, so here’s how I think it should be:
> > -Full game buyers/gamepass subscribers should have complete access to unlocking customizations through achievements, but can still buy cosmetics
> > -F2P players should be required to buy the cosmetics until the buy the full game
> > -F2P players should have access to fewer modes, like no forge, no theater, and maybe fewer MP gamemodes? I don’t think the fewer gamemodes would work too well because it would break some of the player base of the full game modes, forcing others to play the certain modes accessible by F2P
>
> Given that Infinite is a first party title I really doubt that it will be F2P. Microsoft is really trying to push Xbox game pass and making their biggest game F2P would undermine game pass. We will probably see the return of the esports cosmetics and other MTs but I think Infinite will focus on game pass revenue instead of an elaborate micro transaction system like the F2P battle royales.

Probably true. If not MP F2P, theyd probably give like a campaign mission trial or a timed one. As far as cosmetics and MTs go, I really hope that they go back to credits and achievements for most of it. A few non intrusive MTs is fine.

> 2533274866153233;17:
> IMO the best system would be to have everything required to be unlocked (credits or achievements, not paid for whatsoever). Then, you can buy armor skins that are only able to be equipped when you have that base armor set unlocked.

If Microsoft is going to have some things locked in MTs, then I’d be ok if some weapon or armor skins are in there, as long as the majority can be unlocked by playing the game.

Gain XP from playing, then spend XP to unlock whichever customisation you want.

Fair, fun, and simple.