Halo Infinite Needs 1-50 Matchmaking NOT SPRINT

I start this off by saying that classic gameplay isn’t slow*

I said that with an asterisk because EVERY halo game CAN be slow. Even halo 5, because the speed is truly determined by the people playing. The reason is not due to gameplay mechanics, but instead due to matchmaking. Regardless of what halo you are playing, halo feels fast when teams are both skilled and evenly matched. Halo feels slow when players are unskilled. Inexperienced players are unable to create fast paced gameplay in any halo games because they don’t know how to play.

Think of it this way. Place an unskilled team against a team of experienced players. The unskilled players will either get steamrolled running to their deaths at the better players (Pace broken) ,Or, they will be so hard to find due to their poor map traversal that the game drags on (Pace Broken). In either instance the skilled players are bored and the unskilled annoyed.

The only reason classic halo ever feels slow is due to the players in the game. Halo 3 for instance is only slow when inexperienced players are playing. That’s why it confuses me when i see posts on here where people have gone back to halo 3 and said it felt slow. It might have felt slow because of who you were playing or how you were playing… :wink:

This shows the need for a focus more on proper matching and true skill ranking players based on their skill versus a focus on [Sprint button go FAST!!] Again Halo 5 isn’t fast when the team you are playing against is slow.

Have to disagree. Movement speed is going to be consistent no matter what skill level you are. Map traversal, on the other hand, will be more dependent on skill, especially with advanced movement. But nobody thought Halo 3 was slow because they were fighting inexperienced players.

Halo 3 being slow criticism isn’t that they’re playing inexperienced players, it’s the field of view. Increase it and it feels a lot faster.

EDIT: Anyhow, in Infinite, based off the demo, it appears that the speed increase when sprinting is little to none. So complaining about an animation makes anti sprinters look dumb, especially when their argument was built on sprint breaking gameplay when this time that won’t be the case.

It sounds like you wanna play Halo 3.

> 2535418979567138;2:
> Have to disagree. Movement speed is going to be consistent no matter what skill level you are. Map traversal, on the other hand, will be more dependent on skill, especially with advanced movement. But nobody thought Halo 3 was slow because they were fighting inexperienced players.
>
> Halo 3 being slow criticism isn’t that they’re playing inexperienced players, it’s the field of view. Increase it and it feels a lot faster.

Speed doesn’t matter when you don’t know where to go

> 2533274887613159;4:
> > 2535418979567138;2:
> > Have to disagree. Movement speed is going to be consistent no matter what skill level you are. Map traversal, on the other hand, will be more dependent on skill, especially with advanced movement. But nobody thought Halo 3 was slow because they were fighting inexperienced players.
> >
> > Halo 3 being slow criticism isn’t that they’re playing inexperienced players, it’s the field of view. Increase it and it feels a lot faster.
>
> Speed doesn’t matter when you don’t know where to go

Which is what map traversal is, as I stated.

I don’t know what your point is anyways because Halo 5 also has a ranking system AND sprint and you can fight against equal players who can traverse the map just as well as you. It’s not sprint or an effective ranking system, because it’s already been both.

> 2533274964025169;3:
> It sounds like you wanna play Halo 3.

> 2535418979567138;2:
> Have to disagree. Movement speed is going to be consistent no matter what skill level you are. Map traversal, on the other hand, will be more dependent on skill, especially with advanced movement. But nobody thought Halo 3 was slow because they were fighting inexperienced players.
>
> Halo 3 being slow criticism isn’t that they’re playing inexperienced players, it’s the field of view. Increase it and it feels a lot faster.
>
> Anyhow, in Infinite, based off the demo, it appears that the speed increase when sprinting is little to none. So complaining about an animation makes anti sprinters look dumb, especially when their argument was built on sprint breaking gameplay when this time that won’t be the case.

Somebody calculated the speed to be 22% faster in the demo. some say its 0% The fact that sprint is there most likely leans towards it making you faster. Not dumb just one of us has common sense.

> 2535418979567138;5:
> > 2533274887613159;4:
> > > 2535418979567138;2:
> > > Have to disagree. Movement speed is going to be consistent no matter what skill level you are. Map traversal, on the other hand, will be more dependent on skill, especially with advanced movement. But nobody thought Halo 3 was slow because they were fighting inexperienced players.
> > >
> > > Halo 3 being slow criticism isn’t that they’re playing inexperienced players, it’s the field of view. Increase it and it feels a lot faster.
> >
> > Speed doesn’t matter when you don’t know where to go
>
> Which is what map traversal is, as I stated.
>
> I don’t know what your point is anyways because Halo 5 also has a ranking system AND sprint and you can fight against equal players who can traverse the map just as well as you. It’s not sprint or an effective ranking system, because it’s already been both.

Nope its just rank. Sprint does nothing to speed up halo’s gameplay. Matches still last the same amount of time

> 2535418979567138;2:
> Have to disagree. Movement speed is going to be consistent no matter what skill level you are. Map traversal, on the other hand, will be more dependent on skill, especially with advanced movement. But nobody thought Halo 3 was slow because they were fighting inexperienced players.
>
> Halo 3 being slow criticism isn’t that they’re playing inexperienced players, it’s the field of view. Increase it and it feels a lot faster.
>
> EDIT: Anyhow, in Infinite, based off the demo, it appears that the speed increase when sprinting is little to none. So complaining about an animation makes anti sprinters look dumb, especially when their argument was built on sprint breaking gameplay when this time that won’t be the case.

They need to allow console players to change their FOV then. Unless I’ve just missed it.

> 2533274887613159;6:
> > 2533274964025169;3:
> > It sounds like you wanna play Halo 3.
>
>
>
> > 2535418979567138;2:
> > Have to disagree. Movement speed is going to be consistent no matter what skill level you are. Map traversal, on the other hand, will be more dependent on skill, especially with advanced movement. But nobody thought Halo 3 was slow because they were fighting inexperienced players.
> >
> > Halo 3 being slow criticism isn’t that they’re playing inexperienced players, it’s the field of view. Increase it and it feels a lot faster.
> >
> > Anyhow, in Infinite, based off the demo, it appears that the speed increase when sprinting is little to none. So complaining about an animation makes anti sprinters look dumb, especially when their argument was built on sprint breaking gameplay when this time that won’t be the case.
>
> Somebody calculated the speed to be 22% faster in the demo. some say its 0% The fact that sprint is there most likely leans towards it making you faster. Not dumb just one of us has common sense.

Then link your claim. Sprint being an animation or far more tuned actually does make a lot of sense as it’s a middle ground. Show me what common sense you have exactly and back your argument.

There is no ultimatum where you must choose between a ranking system or sprint and they in no way replace each other, so you’re already wrong on that front.

Halo 3 feels slow because halo 3s base movement speed in the default playlist settings is slower than that of the MLG settings. So it actually IS slower. That’s not the only thing they changed in halo 3s settings either. Damage went up as well because of the random bullet spread and how fights could drag on because of it. You can actually look it up.

So when people say halo 3 feels slow, I assume that’s the actual reason. It’s not only sped up for map traversal…but also for strafe speed. If it was sped up…all factors point to it being too slow, and it’s effects on gameplay.

Your points are still valid, but you do have to acknowledge the actual playlist settings themselves and factor that in when someone says it feels slower…at face value…it is slower.

> 2533274842046585;10:
> Halo 3 feels slow because halo 3s base movement speed in the default playlist settings is slower than that of the MLG settings. So it actually IS slower. That’s not the only thing they changed in halo 3s settings either. Damage went up as well because of the random bullet spread and how fights could drag on because of it. You can actually look it up.
>
> So when people say halo 3 feels slow, I assume that’s the actual reason. It’s not only sped up for map traversal…but also for strafe speed. If it was sped up…all factors point to it being too slow, and it’s effects on gameplay.
>
> Your points are still valid, but you do have to acknowledge the actual playlist settings themselves and factor that in when someone says it feels slower…at face value…it is slower.

True,

but i’m basing my argument off of default. Not MLG. The biggest factor for time of game is skill. Halo 5 matches are just as long as halo 3 matches. I understand the argument for “perceived slowness” But in a literal sense you can get across midship on halo 2 & 3 faster than you can on halo 5.

> 2533274887613159;11:
> > 2533274842046585;10:
> > Halo 3 feels slow because halo 3s base movement speed in the default playlist settings is slower than that of the MLG settings. So it actually IS slower. That’s not the only thing they changed in halo 3s settings either. Damage went up as well because of the random bullet spread and how fights could drag on because of it. You can actually look it up.
> >
> > So when people say halo 3 feels slow, I assume that’s the actual reason. It’s not only sped up for map traversal…but also for strafe speed. If it was sped up…all factors point to it being too slow, and it’s effects on gameplay.
> >
> > Your points are still valid, but you do have to acknowledge the actual playlist settings themselves and factor that in when someone says it feels slower…at face value…it is slower.
>
> True,
>
> but i’m basing my argument off of default. Not MLG. The biggest factor for time of game is skill. Halo 5 matches are just as long as halo 3 matches. I understand the argument for “perceived slowness” But in a literal sense you can get across midship on halo 2 & 3 faster than you can on halo 5.
> EDIT. lol and in a video where halo 5 makes it across faster they use a forge map…

> 2533274887613159;11:
> > 2533274842046585;10:
> > Halo 3 feels slow because halo 3s base movement speed in the default playlist settings is slower than that of the MLG settings. So it actually IS slower. That’s not the only thing they changed in halo 3s settings either. Damage went up as well because of the random bullet spread and how fights could drag on because of it. You can actually look it up.
> >
> > So when people say halo 3 feels slow, I assume that’s the actual reason. It’s not only sped up for map traversal…but also for strafe speed. If it was sped up…all factors point to it being too slow, and it’s effects on gameplay.
> >
> > Your points are still valid, but you do have to acknowledge the actual playlist settings themselves and factor that in when someone says it feels slower…at face value…it is slower.
>
> True,
>
> but i’m basing my argument off of default. Not MLG. The biggest factor for time of game is skill. Halo 5 matches are just as long as halo 3 matches. I understand the argument for “perceived slowness” But in a literal sense you can get across midship on halo 2 & 3 faster than you can on halo 5.

Halo 5 has an incredible amount of fun to pull off skill jumps and advanced movement tricks. I get your point, but part of the fun in halo 5 is actually moving around with the abilities and button combinations. When it comes to combat itself…the addition of a thruster pack to use during your strafe and to strategically use in your 1v1s and get the drop on the opponent…it’s significantly faster. That’s why people that prefer classic gameplay are glad thrust will be gone in some cases. It’s objectively harder to get the kill in many scenarios…and it’s not because it’s a “get out of jail free card”…although sometimes yes. You are able to save your butt when you’d usually be dead…but at the higher levels of competition it becomes less and less likely to escape when you’re absolute. The other teams got your number.

“I don’t want to deal with people flying all over the place.” (Read and heard this comment many times before)
I mean…that’s a very true statement. you can out strafe people in every halo game of course…but just looking at h5 gameplay at high skill tiers…the game speaks for itself man. It’s pretty dang fast. It has much more factors than just getting to point A to B at X amount if seconds though man.

I’ve had discussions like this about the old halos with people who said it felt slow too though. I told them to play a few matches with me. They died left and right. Complaining about how FAST they were dying while I smiled and said…I thought it was slow though?

That’s why I said that I get your points, but when it comes down to the actual speed of the game…theres just so much more to factor in than just traversal speed.

As far as match time…the question still comes down to how does it feel. Without what we the players have found out to do in h5 (all the trick jumps, knee cap jumps, slide boosts etc) then h5 would feel like a much slower game. I’d probably then feel much more the way you do. However…it’s not that way though. H5 feels awesome to move around in. Perhaps that’s very not like halo to some, but those who liked it will sure as heck miss it. I’m sure it was never deliberately designed to be played that way but I’m glad it is lol.

You really do have to understand though…that the percieved speed…let’s for the sake of argument just say you’re 100% correct. The speed is just percieved speed and actually really isn’t there…if it feels like it’s there though…and it feels fun to the player…wouldn’t you say that’s exactly the desired result? Gameplay is all about how it feels to the player. So if it feels slow and they dont like slow…they’ll always favor what felt faster to them. You can outline stuff to the best of your ability…be right on all points…and they still won’t budge. It will always just feel slow to them.

To me, gameplay speed is all about how fast I can move in and out of combat. I hate games where you have all this movement speed but the moment you enter a fight bam…slow as all hell. Snail trigger mode activated. This is why I love halo. That doesn’t exist, and no stupid bloom during just walking or jumping. So I’ve enjoyed every halo. Hopefully I enjoy this next one.

Sorry if this is long or I jumped around in the discussion. It’s late and I should probably be asleep lol.

Halo 5 has an incredible amount of fun to pull off skill jumps and advanced movement tricks. I get your point, but part of the fun in halo 5 is actually moving around with the abilities and button combinations. When it comes to combat itself…the addition of a thruster pack to use during your strafe and to strategically use in your 1v1s and get the drop on the opponent…it’s significantly faster. That’s why people that prefer classic gameplay are glad thrust will be gone in some cases. It’s objectively harder to get the kill in many scenarios…and it’s not because it’s a “get out of jail free card”…although sometimes yes. You are able to save your butt when you’d usually be dead…but at the higher levels of competition it becomes less and less likely to escape when you’re absolute. The other teams got your number.

“I don’t want to deal with people flying all over the place.” (Read and heard this comment many times before)
I mean…that’s a very true statement. you can out strafe people in every halo game of course…but just looking at h5 gameplay at high skill tiers…the game speaks for itself man. It’s pretty dang fast. It has much more factors than just getting to point A to B at X amount if seconds though man.

I’ve had discussions like this about the old halos with people who said it felt slow too though. I told them to play a few matches with me. They died left and right. Complaining about how FAST they were dying while I smiled and said…I thought it was slow though?

That’s why I said that I get your points, but when it comes down to the actual speed of the game…theres just so much more to factor in than just traversal speed.

As far as match time…the question still comes down to how does it feel. Without what we the players have found out to do in h5 (all the trick jumps, knee cap jumps, slide boosts etc) then h5 would feel like a much slower game. I’d probably then feel much more the way you do. However…it’s not that way though. H5 feels awesome to move around in. Perhaps that’s very not like halo to some, but those who liked it will sure as heck miss it. I’m sure it was never deliberately designed to be played that way but I’m glad it is lol.

You really do have to understand though…that the percieved speed…let’s for the sake of argument just say you’re 100% correct. The speed is just percieved speed and actually really isn’t there…if it feels like it’s there though…and it feels fun to the player…wouldn’t you say that’s exactly the desired result? Gameplay is all about how it feels to the player. So if it feels slow and they dont like slow…they’ll always favor what felt faster to them. You can outline stuff to the best of your ability…be right on all points…and they still won’t budge. It will always just feel slow to them.

To me, gameplay speed is all about how fast I can move in and out of combat. I hate games where you have all this movement speed but the moment you enter a fight bam…slow as all hell. Snail trigger mode activated. This is why I love halo. That doesn’t exist, and no stupid bloom during just walking or jumping. So I’ve enjoyed every halo. Hopefully I enjoy this next one.

Sorry if this is long or I jumped around in the discussion. It’s late and I should probably be asleep lol.


You’re missing the point if a player thinks halo 3 is slow, they more than likely are unskilled and play against other unskilled players.

The pacing of properly skilled matches in default halo 3 are just as fast as halo 5.

And just because a part of the community likes sprint doesnt mean every halo game should have it. 3 games in a row have had this advanced mobility craze. Its about due time that one classic halo game be made. Lets just see how that game does.

Feel free to use the existing thread here
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/29568daf8cd14083bd1b70a810bf3581/topics/the-return-of-classic-movement-mechanics/dbb9e311-d2f8-48b5-9826-259bffe75cac/posts