Halo infinite looks FINE

I mean the only thing they need to fix is nothing really, they just need to have better lighting, update a few of the textures and make them more scuffed up and grimy which in the newest minute long trailer the weapons actually have a more scratched look meaning it was played in a later build and they improved on the textures, then just maybe make the gun sounds more meaty like reaches sounds but thats mainly a nit pick, other than that the game looks fine to me and besides its a demo version probably recorded months ago so the final game will obviously have improvements made to it. remember how rubbery and pale the spartans looked in the halo 5 beta? they fixed it in the final version so obviously if theres large amounts of backlash towards the graphics there most likely going to fix i think 343 has learned their mistakes from the past halo games.

Really? Really?..THE GAME COMES OUT IN 4 MONTHS!

Check out this comparison image. Reach vs Infinite

The gameplay trailer on YouTube looks leagues better than the demo from the stream. There’s a very, very high possibility that the gameplay trailer they used is from a much more recent build than the one on the stream, because the one on the stream was already mentioned as being the same one they made in preparation for E3.

I said it elsewhere, but I’m thinking they didn’t just dump the E3 footage and record new stuff, because they didn’t want to pull away production from the game to push out a new build on the fly. Might as well use the material they already had set up, even if it’s already months out of date, and just keep focusing on production behind the scenes.

I’d say the gameplay and graphics shown on the trailer look perfectly fine. Tweak some of the textures, like OP said, and it’d be great.

> 2533274807275391;3:
> The gameplay trailer on YouTube looks leagues better than the demo from the stream. There’s a very, very high possibility that the gameplay trailer they used is from a much more recent build than the one on the stream, because the one on the stream was already mentioned as being the same one they made in preparation for E3.
>
> I said it elsewhere, but I’m thinking they didn’t just dump the E3 footage and record new stuff, because they didn’t want to pull away production from the game to push out a new build on the fly. Might as well use the material they already had set up, even if it’s already months out of date, and just keep focusing on production behind the scenes.
>
> I’d say the gameplay and graphics shown on the trailer look perfectly fine. Tweak some of the textures, like OP said, and it’d be great.

Dude exactly! all everyones going off of is a -Yoink- low quality demo of the game that was streamed on youtube and think thats what the entire game is going to look like.

I agree, the game looks fine. If they’re done with the bulk of the work, like bug fixing and so on; the last few months are usually for polishing things like textures and such. And, again, the game still looks fine.

Go to the post called “HALO INFINITE XGS PRESS KIT 2020” and click on the "battle" image, then tell me how that can look good. It looks like an xbox 360 game, it’s really … pathetic. In what they showed there are no shadows, there is no blood, the textures suck (just look at the rocks or the trees), no, it does not look good at all.

> 2533274822200673;2:
> Really? Really?..THE GAME COMES OUT IN 4 MONTHS!
>
> Check out this comparison image. Reach vs Infinite

Yes i totally understand that the halo infinite graphics are nowhere near next gen but we just saw a demo build of the game that could’ve been recorded a long time ago and i honestly don’t think 343 would release the game looking like how it was revealed, just watch the new 1 minute trailer they released and the textures on the guns have improved meaning they’re clearly working on it, they just need to fix how clean and almost pastel everything looks along with a small lighting overhaul which i’m going to bet they’ve been working on.

> 2533274976144787;7:
> > 2533274822200673;2:
> > Really? Really?..THE GAME COMES OUT IN 4 MONTHS!
> >
> > Check out this comparison image. Reach vs Infinite
>
> Yes i totally understand that the halo infinite graphics are nowhere near next gen but we just saw a demo build of the game that could’ve been recorded a long time ago and i honestly don’t think 343 would release the game looking like how it was revealed, just watch the new 1 minute trailer they released and the textures on the guns have improved meaning they’re clearly working on it, they just need to fix how clean and almost pastel everything looks along with a small lighting overhaul which i’m going to bet they’ve been working on.

Fair points. BUT why would they even show the game in this state. It releases in 4 months. I’m not sure you’re actually taking that in objectively. This was their moment. This was their virtual slice. This was suppose to be the most polished look at the game. This is pretty basic stuff man.

> 2535411013306151;6:
> Go to the post called “HALO INFINITE XGS PRESS KIT 2020” and click on the "battle" image, then tell me how that can look good. It looks like an xbox 360 game, it’s really … pathetic. In what they showed there are no shadows, there is no blood, the textures suck (just look at the rocks or the trees), no, it does not look good at all.

And yet the gameplay trailer showed exactly all of that, including stuff like updated textures and raytracing. People are getting all up in arms about the E3 demo, despite the fact that the demo was likely created somewhere around early February or so, over 5 months ago. Again, there are already comparisons going around showing a large difference between the demo and the gameplay trailer in graphics.

Personally, the graphics look fine. I’m more interested in hearing more about the gameplay and mechanics, since those are what make a game worthwhile and memorable in the long run.

Also, keep in mind: We’ve not seen anything on the Series X. H4 looked like a steaming pile on the 360, because they had to dial visuals back for the weaker hardware, yet it looked amazing on the Xbox One. Just some perspective for the folks complaining.

> 2533274822200673;8:
> Fair points. BUT why would they even show the game in this state. It releases in 4 months. I’m not sure you’re actually taking that in objectively. This was their moment. This was their virtual slice. This was suppose to be the most polished look at the game. This is pretty basic stuff man.

This was also the thing created for E3, before coronavirus brought things to a grinding halt, and everyone had to start working from home. What would you have done with limited production time? Force the team to pull time away from actually working on the game just to put out a new, redone build for a presentation of something they’ve already recorded previously, or let them use the previous footage so they can keep working on the project unimpeded?

Some pretty basic logistics stuff, my dude.

> 2533274807275391;9:
> > 2535411013306151;6:
> > Go to the post called “HALO INFINITE XGS PRESS KIT 2020” and click on the "battle" image, then tell me how that can look good. It looks like an xbox 360 game, it’s really … pathetic. In what they showed there are no shadows, there is no blood, the textures suck (just look at the rocks or the trees), no, it does not look good at all.
>
> And yet the gameplay trailer showed exactly all of that, including stuff like updated textures and raytracing. People are getting all up in arms about the E3 demo, despite the fact that the demo was likely created somewhere around early February or so, over 5 months ago. Again, there are already comparisons going around showing a large difference between the demo and the gameplay trailer in graphics.
>
> Personally, the graphics look fine. I’m more interested in hearing more about the gameplay and mechanics, since those are what make a game worthwhile and memorable in the long run.
>
> Also, keep in mind: We’ve not seen anything on the Series X. H4 looked like a steaming pile on the 360, because they had to dial visuals back for the weaker hardware, yet it looked amazing on the Xbox One. Just some perspective for the folks complaining.
>
>
>
>
> > 2533274822200673;8:
> > Fair points. BUT why would they even show the game in this state. It releases in 4 months. I’m not sure you’re actually taking that in objectively. This was their moment. This was their virtual slice. This was suppose to be the most polished look at the game. This is pretty basic stuff man.
>
> This was also the thing created for E3, before coronavirus brought things to a grinding halt, and everyone had to start working from home. What would you have done with limited production time? Force the team to pull time away from actually working on the game just to put out a new, redone build for a presentation of something they’ve already recorded previously, or let them use the previous footage so they can keep working on the project unimpeded?
>
> Some pretty basic logistics stuff, my dude.

So you are telling me that from the time Covid 19 hit…this was fully developed & 343 never thought to polish it up for the WORLD PREMIERE of Halo Infinite gameplay? The game has been confirmed by 343 to have been in development for 5 years…the Covid 19 cannot be a viable excuse.

> 2533274822200673;10:
> So you are telling me that from the time Covid 19 hit…this was fully developed & 343 never thought to polish it up for the WORLD PREMIERE of Halo Infinite gameplay? The game has been confirmed by 343 to have been in development for 5 years…the Covid 19 cannot be a viable excuse.

No, I’m telling you that they kept the footage because it’d be more feasible from a development standpoint to do so than to scrap it and start over just to satisfy a single event. I’m not sure what you’re thinking, but game dev, especially coming up with an entire new engine, is not something you can just snap your fingers and have land in your lap, polished and complete.

> 2533274807275391;11:
> > 2533274822200673;10:
> > So you are telling me that from the time Covid 19 hit…this was fully developed & 343 never thought to polish it up for the WORLD PREMIERE of Halo Infinite gameplay? The game has been confirmed by 343 to have been in development for 5 years…the Covid 19 cannot be a viable excuse.
>
> No, I’m telling you that they kept the footage because it’d be more feasible from a development standpoint to do so than to scrap it and start over just to satisfy a single event. I’m not sure what you’re thinking, but game dev, especially coming up with an entire new engine, is not something you can just snap your fingers and have land in your lap, polished and complete.

Ray tracing is confirmed to be a post launch update. How do you explain that? The game simply isn’t ready. You can believe what you want. & I refuse to give 343 the grace for this mess because of the pandemic. They had 5 years.

> 2533274822200673;12:
> > 2533274807275391;11:
> > > 2533274822200673;10:
> > > So you are telling me that from the time Covid 19 hit…this was fully developed & 343 never thought to polish it up for the WORLD PREMIERE of Halo Infinite gameplay? The game has been confirmed by 343 to have been in development for 5 years…the Covid 19 cannot be a viable excuse.
> >
> > No, I’m telling you that they kept the footage because it’d be more feasible from a development standpoint to do so than to scrap it and start over just to satisfy a single event. I’m not sure what you’re thinking, but game dev, especially coming up with an entire new engine, is not something you can just snap your fingers and have land in your lap, polished and complete.
>
> Ray tracing is confirmed to be a post launch update. How do you explain that? The game simply isn’t ready. You can believe what you want. & I refuse to give 343 the grace for this mess because of the pandemic. They had 5 years.

Probably because Ray tracing is guess what? An entirely new technology that the vast majority of games aren’t even using?

> 2533274822200673;12:
> Ray tracing is confirmed to be a post launch update. How do you explain that? The game simply isn’t ready. You can believe what you want. & I refuse to give 343 the grace for this mess because of the pandemic. They had 5 years.

What’s there to explain? Ray tracing for games is still somewhere in the ballpark of experimental tech (as in first started somewhere around 2018, less than two years ago) that takes a lot of work to get absolutely right.

You’re welcome to believe what you want as well, and after denying 343 my money for both H4 and H5, Infinite makes me feel quite ready to give them something again.

As for the topic, and general discussion:
On the topic of graphics in general, Halo 3’s graphics are starting to show their age, since I see those as a point of comparison. I’ve worked with the Flood models for some projects, and their texturing is abysmal by current standards. Drawing comparisons between Infinite and H3 is silly, since diving deeper shows a lot of issues in the older games. Infinite looks perfectly fine, and will likely get better as they continue with the polish.