Halo: Infinite has an aiming problem

The aiming system/mechanics in Infinite are a major problem. And there needs to be a change to up the base aim assist significantly before launch.

I want to preface my comments on this by saying that I’ve played Halo since the launch of CE, and played competitively through CE, 2, and 3. Played mostly casual after that, but have logged thousands of hours into each Halo game (except for Halo 5 - more on that later). And I’m an above average player (you can go check the stats if you’d like). I’m certainly not a new player, and I’ve played Halo at every level of skill. And I’ve kept a general awareness of what’s happening in competitive Halo throughout the franchises history. With that being said…

From my understanding, Halo: Infinite is meant to be a throwback to the classic era Halo’s AND a game that’s approachable and fun for new players, while also allowing for (and growing) a strong competitive/pro scene. And in most areas of the game, I think Infinite accomplishes this. And does so exceptionally well…

…except for the aiming system/mechanics.

It’s clear to me that Infinite’s aiming system/mechanics are a continuation of Halo 5’s system/mechanics. And it’s clear that Halo 5’s were built to favor pro-style play rather than casual play. Aim assist was tuned down significantly. As such, the average player, and even long time players, had a very hard time adjusting. And new players had an especially hard time adjusting. Players found themselves missing shots they could always land in previous games, and were left wondering why (being totally ignorant to the behind the scenes changes).

But the pros loved it.

HCS and competitive players thrived. The skill-gaps across the board increased exponentially. But for the rest of us? We all went back to MCC. The much more approachable and forgiving, and frankly… just more fun game to play. Because in MCC, we could actually aim and hit our targets. And we didn’t need to read a book about advanced controller settings to try and do it. After all, what makes a shooter fun? Aiming at things and shooting them. That felt WAY better in MCC than Halo 5. So the general player base moved back to MCC.

And despite the skill-level in HCS being the highest it’s ever been in the history of Halo… the passion for the HCS league died out quickly amongst the rest of us. At least, it died in volume. And the ole’ “Halo is dead” adage was proving to be right yet again as HCS events struggled to pull the viewership numbers they needed.

And why was that? Because casual play fuels interest in pro play. And the casual player base all went back to the more casual player friendly MCC rather than sticking around in the hard to aim/play Halo 5.

And I fear that Infinite’s commitment to the Halo 5/pro-style aiming system is going to cut the legs out of the casual player base, again. Just like it did with Halo 5.

We can have all the arguments we want about MKB vs. controllers and how aim assist, etc. plays into things there. We can also talk about how other components of the game (like movement, weapon balance, etc.) contribute to things too.

But the fact is that new and returning players are currently getting crushed in the Infinite tech test because they simply can’t play the game like they should be able to at a fundamental level… they can’t aim at their target and shoot it consistently. They’re running into the exact same problems they faced in Halo 5, despite all the other changes to the game. Even myself, a very seasoned player, struggles to land shots consistently in Infinite. I usually place top of my team in games, and my accuracy in the tech test is probably only 43-47% with peaks of ~50% (usually dependent on if there’s a BR on the map that I can get my hands on or not). In a first person shooter game that’s built around THE core component of aiming and shooting things… I can’t even land the majority of my shots. How can we expect new, returning, and casual players to fare any better???

It’s frustrating. And it’s takes a lot of the fun out of playing Infinite. And I really think it’s going to alienate and force a lot of new and returning players away from the game. Just like Halo 5 did to thousands and thousands of Halo fans. Me included. It just wasn’t fun anymore… it was like going from my casual youth soccer team where everyone got to play and have fun, to the state competitive soccer team all over again. All the fun was gone. Only the best of the best skill players could play and succeed.

I strongly feel like we need to stop building Halo to try and appease the pro players, and get back to the roots of Halo. Which has ALWAYS been fun casual play. Why is big team battle so insanely popular amongst Halo players? It’s because it’s a casual mode that’s tons of FUN! No one comes to play Halo for it’s world class pro-style gameplay. That’s what they get later on once they stay. They come to play Halo to have fun, and create memorable experiences as they shoot and blow stuff up with friends (of all skill levels). Halo has always been a great game to bring new players into, especially new players to the FPS genre. It has always a game you wanted to play with your friends to have some fun on during the weekends after a long week. But it’s feeling less and less that way as they continue to give more and more of it away to a very small % of the player base whose only concern is to drive as big of a skill-gap between them and everyone. They don’t care about approachability and fun. They care about staying the best of the best and winning. And the truth is that they’ll figure out how to make that happen at the HCS level regardless of what the aim system is. They’re just that good. But that isn’t true for casual/new players.

And the irony is that as Halo does this (goes towards a more pro-style system), it’ll cause them to continue to lose the foundational casual player base that they need and want so desperately for competitive/pro play to thrive. No pro sports franchise ever survived in a league with no or very few fans.

So after that wall of text, I say again: Infinite’s aiming is a problem, and needs to be changed to increase aim assist drastically before launch. Or else I fear we’ll have another Halo 5 on our hands. Which in many respects is a great game. But ultimately is unable to survive long-term because such a basic and fundamental component to it is missing: the ability to aim and shoot things easily.

I strongly disagree. Once the controller settings are tuned in settings, this is the best Halo experience I have had in a long time. Many other games suffer from way overzealous aim assist, with little or no skill required get kills. I like that Halo is different from other games, and I hope that it remains so. I know it is frustrating at times playing against someone using a mouse and keyboard, or just players with exceptional skill; however, Halo is meant to be a challenge and it’s what keeps me interested.

Keep Halo Halo!

I don’t have anything to add to this except to say well said. I agree wholeheartedly with everything you’ve written here and I hope 343 takes it into account.

> 2533274840103714;2:
> I strongly disagree. Once the controller settings are tuned in settings, this is the best Halo experience I have had in a long time. Many other games suffer from way overzealous aim assist, with little or no skill required get kills. I like that Halo is different from other games, and I hope that it remains so. I know it is frustrating at times playing against someone using a mouse and keyboard, or just players with exceptional skill; however, Halo is meant to be a challenge and it’s what keeps me interested.
>
> Keep Halo Halo!

Where I disagree with you most is where we attribute the “skill” part of Halo gameplay.

Halo has always emphasized movement, teamwork, sandbox management, tactics, etc. as the key differentiation skills between lower level players and upper level players: NOT aiming. It’s always been more classical chess than bullet chess. It’s more soccer or football than it is basketball (more team and tactic oriented than individual talent orientated).

And sure, aiming always has been, and will continue to impact the skill gaps to a fairly large extent. But the ability to aim and hit your target was never the primary skill gap creating component/modifier of the gameplay. At least, it wasn’t until Halo 5. Aiming was very approachable for all skill level players. It was more of a “given”. Or, maybe more accurately stated: it was a far smaller barrier to the basic gameplay, rather than something you had to completely master in order to play the game at a basic level.

In that sense, that’s why I (and many others) always felt like Halo 5 wasn’t very “Halo”. It was more Call of Duty than Halo. It become much more about twitching aiming, insane no scopes, etc. than it did about all the other gameplay components. You could have a single dominant player in a game dominant a match almost entirely because of their ability to aim better than everyone else in Halo 5. That was much less commonplace in previous Halo games. And again, highly skilled aimers could still make significant impacts in previous games, but not nearly as much as they could in Halo 5. Or now in Infinite.

And I think that’s a huge problem. And it’s very against your closing comment of “keep Halo Halo”. Which is what I discussed at some length in my original post.

I guess with a bit of fine tuning in with the options and some time on the weapon drill, everyone is able to aim shoot and hit in this game. Maybe there should be some different presets to choose from. Not for button mapping, for aiming.

They could strengthen aim assist tbh. Although to be honest, I haven’t struggled as much as many others are reporting, so I’d be interested to see if maybe the AA in MCC was too strong after all as many controller players without practiced muscle memory would use the AA as a crutch possibly. Time will tell I guess.

However, I am concerned how this will stack against MKB. AA was the equalizer here, so without something halfway decent to help steady controller aiming, good MKB players are going to dominate matches. And this is coming from someone who uses both inputs.

> 2535456748358064;5:
> I guess with a bit of fine tuning in with the options and some time on the weapon drill, everyone is able to aim shoot and hit in this game. Maybe there should be some different presets to choose from. Not for button mapping, for aiming.

I wish that were true.

I’ve probably spent ~1.5 hours just playing with the aim settings, and I still can’t find something that’s remotely close to what previous non-Halo 5 games offered in the aiming. And I’ve spoken to many other players (new, returning, competitive, casual, etc.) that feel the same way too.

Maybe there needs to be some serious work done on what the preset settings are. But I don’t think that’s the core issue.

As for this comment (see below):
I would agree with you other than I have my own experience that says otherwise. Sure, I play lots of MCC so maybe I’ve just gotten lazy on the sticks. But that doesn’t explain why I don’t have these issues in other non-MCC games (like CoD, etc.)

> They could strengthen aim assist tbh. Although to be honest, I haven’t struggled as much as many others are reporting, so I’d be interested to see if maybe the AA in MCC was too strong after all as many controller players without practiced muscle memory would use the AA as a crutch possibly. Time will tell I guess. However, I am concerned how this will stack against MKB. AA was the equalizer here, so without something halfway decent to help steady controller aiming, good MKB players are going to dominate matches. And this is coming from someone who uses both inputs.

> 2533274793988051;4:
> > 2533274840103714;2:
> > I strongly disagree. Once the controller settings are tuned in settings, this is the best Halo experience I have had in a long time. Many other games suffer from way overzealous aim assist, with little or no skill required get kills. I like that Halo is different from other games, and I hope that it remains so. I know it is frustrating at times playing against someone using a mouse and keyboard, or just players with exceptional skill; however, Halo is meant to be a challenge and it’s what keeps me interested.
> >
> > Keep Halo Halo!
>
> Where I disagree with you most is where we attribute the “skill” part of Halo gameplay.
>
> Halo has always emphasized movement, teamwork, sandbox management, tactics, etc. as the key differentiation skills between lower level players and upper level players: NOT aiming. It’s always been more classical chess than bullet chess. It’s more soccer or football than it is basketball (more team and tactic oriented than individual talent orientated).
>
> And sure, aiming always has been, and will continue to impact the skill gaps to a fairly large extent. But the ability to aim and hit your target was never the primary skill gap creating component/modifier of the gameplay. At least, it wasn’t until Halo 5. Aiming was very approachable for all skill level players. It was more of a “given”. Or, maybe more accurately stated: it was a far smaller barrier to the basic gameplay, rather than something you had to completely master in order to play the game at a basic level.
>
> In that sense, that’s why I (and many others) always felt like Halo 5 wasn’t very “Halo”. It was more Call of Duty than Halo. It become much more about twitching aiming, insane no scopes, etc. than it did about all the other gameplay components. You could have a single dominant player in a game dominant a match almost entirely because of their ability to aim better than everyone else in Halo 5. That was much less commonplace in previous Halo games. And again, highly skilled aimers could still make significant impacts in previous games, but not nearly as much as they could in Halo 5. Or now in Infinite.
>
> And I think that’s a huge problem. And it’s very against your closing comment of “keep Halo Halo”. Which is what I discussed at some length in my original post.

I agree with you that strategy should continue to play a larger roll than aiming. There is a reason that Slayer is my absolute least favorite game type in Halo. I used to love all of the Assault game types and big team capture the flag.

That being said, I do not prefer the controls of Halo 5, as I think we can all agree that it was made for those with a mouse and keyboard; however, I think it is too early to say that aiming needs a complete overhaul in Infinite. Default setting are not great, but once I edited my controls to be more responsive, I felt like the controls were closer to Halo of old where I could at least hold my own in Slayer and get a lot more perfect kills.

i trust in em (might be a fault) that they find a way to balance this stuff good

Following this post because I made a similar post.

To add my 2 cents to this I’m pretty decent I was always placing in Onyx and sometime elite in H5 and I despised H5 still do. I too am more fond of HCE-H3 style even H4 tbh wasn’t bad to me. But this tech preview is absolute a different world. Like no kidding I’m going like 3-15 in matches when it should be the other way around.

On another note I have played both on PC (my main) and Xbox and I’ll say the aiming feels way better on Xbox to the point it’s not even fair. And yes I’m using a controller in both instances. All this being said it’s still not even close to feeling like a Halo game at all. The group of friends I play with aren’t the best in halo 5 the best of them would get silver in most ranked and I could see them absolutely hating this game if at all even being able to play. There’s got to be something going on to because some people are saying the aiming is fine.

also side note for those that think all I do is play halo I do play CoD and CSGO and hands down this is worse than CSGO with a controller.

So after watching some YouTubers play it’s obvious something is going on. Because I’m watching these dudes spam the living hell out of the sidekick and get perfect kills from all the way across maps yet if I take my time between shots nothing hits.

im really hoping 343 sees what is going on but the more I think about it the more this disheartens me. I seriously think for us old school fans they are just going to toss us into the wind. Seriously go watch some of these streamers or YouTubers and tell me how this looks anything like a halo game? Other than the weapons if you just ignore the look and watch the game play it looks more like Apex than even halo 5 it’s just so much spam and running. Anyway stay strong fellas maybe we might get some classic mode down the road.

I’m playing on series X, so granted maybe controller aim for PC players or OG Xbox one players feels different. But I don’t agree with all these comments about how the aim is broken.

it’s not comparable to H5 at all, H5s aiming is dog -Yoink-. Heavy aim in H5 has been around since the beginning of time and honestly ruined the game for me, made me stop playing.

infinite just doesn’t have a lot of aim magnetism. Especially on the sidekick at anything farther than close range. Would like to see a slight buff for the side kicks auto aim. (AR starts also just have always sucked -Yoink- in Halo) BR feels great to use.

I’m glad auto aim is toned down, H4 and H2A auto aim is ridiculous, it’s so easy to shoot, fights come down to who sees the other first. In infinite there is a way higher skill gap for aim which I think is a good thing.

> 2533274840103714;2:
> I strongly disagree. Once the controller settings are tuned in settings, this is the best Halo experience I have had in a long time. Many other games suffer from way overzealous aim assist, with little or no skill required get kills. I like that Halo is different from other games, and I hope that it remains so. I know it is frustrating at times playing against someone using a mouse and keyboard, or just players with exceptional skill; however, Halo is meant to be a challenge and it’s what keeps me interested.
>
> Keep Halo Halo!

I couldn’t agree more with what you said.

Hi everyone! Part 1 of 2

I like most of your comments BA Vindicator, though you didn’t go into details that you needed to cover as someone who is a veteran player as to why Halo 5 is not Halo and why Halo Infinite fails in the same way.

Before I get into it, I do want to say that the menu music is awesome and feels like the mature, dark Halo it should, not that silly MCC nonsense I’ve been witnessing the sounds of the weapons is pretty awesome in Halo Infinite though the sound balance is bad because it is extremely hard to hear a heavy spartan moving about on the map when the audio must be turned down for the weapons noises. I use Astro A40’s with the TR40 mixamp pro.
Gear that I am using is an Xbox One X, currently playing in 1080p 120hz, with a Razer Wolverine Ultimate Controller.

I am a veteran Halo player who started out playing Halo CE, then Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo Reach, Halo MCC, and finally tried Halo 5. Halo 5 is absolute trash; this is not recognizable as Halo and is excommunicated from the series.

  • Of the Halo’s listed Halo 2 is the Gold Standard as the best Halo multiplayer gaming experience with the most skill-based gameplay based on the fact that the loadout set everyone within the same available movement abilities, the only thing that changed between loadouts was weapons. Halo 2 established dedicated playlists like snipers, shotty snipes, SWAT. Halo 2 had great multiplayer vehicle combat with vehicles that controlled well and even had the ability to hijack vehicles. Halo 2 had great map designs, cool weapon sounds, balanced weapons that worked and introduced dual wielding weapons**. The pistols in Halo 2 were awesome (though not as awesome as Halo 1) and useful, unlike Halo Infinite**. In order to dominate it required having 2 pistols in Halo 2, but you still had a chance with one pistol. Tracer rounds showed the trajectory of shots, and you knew when you were being at shot for real and not given nonsense hit markers with people aiming in a different direction than where you are located at. Halo 2 ranked matchmaking actually matched ranked players with others that were close their skill level. Even glitches like BXB, BXR and super bouncing were actually skill-based things that required proper timing / positioning to do.Halo 4 is the second-best campaign and multiplayer experience. It executed the modern ideas of armor abilities to speed up and change gameplay to compete against Call of Duty well while introducing cool new weapons and having classic weapons that performed good as well. Armor iterations were also cool. The issue was bullet tracing and player positioning vs where they were shooting. It made the game frustrating because you could not tell that the person was not actually aiming at you from their positioning or from the bullet traces, resulting in you getting lit up with hit markers that you otherwise shouldn’t. Map design was also good. Halo 4 was modernizing Halo and making it relevant towards the gameplay of today while still staying true to the feel of what makes Halo, Halo.

  • Halo Infinite needs to be a compilation of all the things that makes each Halo the best. Halo Infinite needs to control and play like Halo 4 to stay true to the lineage of Halo while introducing things like Firefight from Halo Reach and the AI as well as the weapons from firefight, mixed with the Brutes and weapons and vehicles of Halo 3, mixed with Vehicle combat should not be for solely big team battle maps but also for standard 4 vs 4 arena gameplay. Invisibility should be like Halo Reach invisibility in quality. Overshield should be like Halo 2 overshield, it should not mess with your field of view. Pertaining to weapons and how they should look and feel: When I mention it should be from a certain game, I am referring to the handling mechanics and how the weapon performs.

  • The Battle Rifle should be the Halo 2 Battle Rifle.

  • The assault rifle should look and feel like Halo Reach’s assault rifle but with more damage done to the target.

  • The DMR from Halo 4 is the DMR of choice.

  • The Covenant Carbine from Halo 4 is the look and feel of choice, while the zoom and sound from Halo 2 are preferred.

  • The covenant energy sword from Halo 2 is the sword of choice for lock on ability and clashing capability while the look and sound should be from Halo Reach.

  • I am liking this new Halo Infinite shotgun for its sound and feel but it should handle like the Halo Reach shotgun, including the speed of chambering another round.

  • The Halo Infinite rocket launcher is cool, the question is does it have vehicle lock? It needs to have vehicle lock like Halo 2. It is a lock that can be dodged or broken if a person swerves the vehicle correctly.

  • Where is my covenant fuel rod cannon from Halo Reach? Visuals from Halo 4 please!

  • I am liking the new look and feel of the sniper rifle in Halo Infinite. The sniper rifle though takes up too much space in the field of vision with all that stuff on top of it. Also, Halo 2 had a visual scope that you could see what was in the scope without zooming in. Please add that to this Halo Infinite sniper rifle.

  • The needler needs to be able to home like from Halo 2, and dual wielding needs to be back in order for it to be effective. The look and feel should be from Halo 4 with the visuals, sound, and rapidness of shots.

  • Pistols:

  • Halo 4 pistol needs to be in here as a single-handed pistol. Perfect as it is, just upgrade the visuals. - Halo 2 pistol needs to be in here and be able to dual wield. Perfect as they are, just upgrade the visuals.

  • Plasma Pistol handling and performance from Halo Reach with the look and feel from Halo 4.

  • Beam Rifle from Halo 4, with the Visual HUD upon zooming from Halo 3 please.

  • We need to have the SAW from Halo 4 please!

  • Incineration Cannon from Halo 4.

  • Lightrifle from Halo 4.

  • Scattershot from Halo 4.

  • Binary Rifle from Halo 4.

  • Mauler from Halo 3, with dual wield.

  • SMG’s and Plasma Rifle aren’t useful which is why I’m not mentioning them.

Hi everyone, Part 2 of 2.

Halo MCC was executed poorly. I haven’t played it for at least 2, if not 3 years. You can’t call MCC games as giving people the experience of playing the various Halo’s since they do not include the full experience of multiplayer let alone campaign. In multiplayer, maps were missing, armor customizations were missing, weapons and movement don’t handle the way they actually did in the full experience of the games. Also, the reimagining of maps for the MCC remastered was bad. Weapons were worse, everything was too dark, layouts were poor. Halo has always had an array of colors and is an inviting environment to want to go to, even though all this destruction is going on around. The only time this is not true is when you inside a spaceship or you’re in flood infested areas.
Now let’s get into AI. The best AI in the series is in Halo Reach. Halo Reach’s multiplayer was bad due to the maps and sizing of the players, and weapon handling and balances but it did perfect some amazing weapons such as the Fuel Rod Cannon. Where Halo Reach made up for its shortcomings was the ability to run challenges against the AI in the mode Firefight. The AI experienced in the firefight modes brought to life the terror that was in the Halo books. The elites hunted you viciously. If you hurt them, they would flee to regain their shielding and come back at you from a different angle. They would climb up over objects to attack and flank you. Even the grunts were scary in Halo Reach. Only the Halo 3 had better brutes. Halo 1 is the runner up, on legendary, for AI capability. The jackals in Halo 2 on legendary are just cheat.
Halo is a pickup and play game. The controls should immediately allow you to be able to move and aim and hit your target without customization. I should not need to go into my Razer Wolverine Ultimate settings in order to get the controls to be usable. A standard controller should be playable. This game feels like PUBG, it feels like a game that was built from the ground up with PC players in mind. Halo 2 once again is the gold standard to look at. As a person pushes the left joystick forward, they should be able to see and feel a noticeable difference in speed the further they move the joystick, allowing for precise movements and jumping. Because Halo 2 did not have running, it was essential that the movement speed be correct to make calculated jumps. Halo Infinite needs to have that level of control. If people are small dots on the screen, it makes it extremely hard to aim at them, especially when you add in sprinting, jumping, crouching and sliding. The aiming mechanism needs to be at least as good as Halo 4 to accommodate for this. Halo 5 introduced these small distant characters that you can’t actually see. Go back to proportions of Halo 4. Aim acceleration should allow you to jump and turn around and shoot the enemy 180 degrees behind you while in mid-air. Aim vertical and horizontal should allow you to fine tune movement back and forth and up and down to hit distant and near targets with calculated movements of the right thumbstick.

  • As a note, an error I came across while I was adjusting these settings and I would go back into the gameplay then return to adjust it again and the slider would still be where it was but then the number readout would say 0.0. Adjusting the slider did nothing.
    Other issues with Halo Infinite:

  • The menu system needs to be improved in Halo Infinite to actually show information of what the weapons/vehicles are capable of.

  • The 3D visual model of the weapon should be below the customizations, not above the customizations, making it viewable as you rotate the model around. In training, I should be able to see the weapon image to be able to pick weapons out, instead of just seeing the words.

  • There isn’t an ability to zoom in and out on weapons, vehicles, armor while inspecting them.

  • The tank side panel covering the tracks were moving way too much while the model was being rotated.

  • I was shooting the weapon dispenser in weapon training, and it got stuck in the open position until the training session ended.

  • The Screen was flashing in the options menu under training and under multiplayer.

  • During Multiplayer I couldn’t exit out of searching for a game, so I ended up having to just turn off my console.

  • Guns sound good but they are tool loud compared to the sound of footsteps.

  • How do you remove way marker after placing a marker in multiplayer?

  • The color scheme is way too Call of Duty black and grey and gold. It needs to be blue like Halo to feel like Halo. The color scheme also makes it hard to find things.

  • The AI systems that we have to choose from are annoying. Cortana is an interesting AI. Why are you giving us childish, idiotic AI’s? Halo has always been a mature game with a 17 rating from the start. With the introduction of Halo Reach it introduced a childish cartoony take on Halo, though it did introduce armor wear. Halo 4 went back to the Mature vibes. Let’s stay with the mature vibes please! That doesn’t mean they can’t make jokes and say silly things, its just these AI are completely annoying to listen to.

  • On that note, I need my announcer from Halo 2. Where is my announcer giving me the awesome vibes when I overkill, triple kill and killtacular!
    Thanks for the play test! To me Halo 2 was the best multiplayer gaming experience, then Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 came along, and I had another amazing multiplayer gaming experience to choose from for a different style of play. It was never necessary for one to be like the other to be successful. It was always that one genre had its style and the other had its style. For true competitive arena gameplay, I would turn to Halo. For spray and pray adrenaline rush spamming I would play Call of Duty. I wish that these issues never existed, and I could love the game, as it stands, there is no way I would spend any time playing the released game even though it would be free to play. I mean, to me, 343 did a great job with Halo 4, but since then I have seen a decline in the quality of the games offered starting with The MCC and going into Halo 5 which made me totally leave the series, now coming to Halo Infinite, where the trailer looked like it was a return to form and to greatness! Halo isn’t the only ones suffering from this, Call of Duty is as well because to me Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops 2 are still the best games in the series, though they are making waves towards making truly awesome experience with their latest iterations.

I 100% agree. I grew up playing the original Halo games with Halo 3 being my favourite. On MCC I can consistently get a KD above 2 if I get my sweat on. But I’m getting absolutely stomped in Infinite. I never played Halo 5 so ADS and enhanced mobility in Halo is completely new to me, so I chalk it up to that probably being the reason.

But for me right now, Halo Infinite multiplayer is absolutely not fun to play. I play it because I love Halo and I feel I have an obligation to as I got invited to the flight, yet it feels like a chore to jump in and just get steamrolled. The big Youtubers and Twitch streamers (who are usually competitive players and are very good) are saying they’re having an absolute blast. These are the loudest voices in your community, but are the ones who are in the minority when it comes to skill, and it doesn’t give me much hope that things will change.

> 2533274840103714;2:
> I know it is frustrating at times playing against someone using a mouse and keyboard

I’d just like to point out M&K feels like crap also. As per Op’s post, i also have put a lot of time into halo and consider myself to be above average in most FPS titles, but Infinite in its current state feels horrendous for M&K.

Even in MCC i could be scraping even on k/d but still enjoy myself while I feel nothing but utter frustration in Infinite. 20 hours into flights and I cannot pick out a single memorable moment i have had so far, everything blends together in a bland mush of disappointment.

This game is infuriating to play. I’m playing on Xbox Series X using the standard controller and oh my lord. In MCC, I consistently get 2.0+ K/D (more like 3.0 in CE) and I can’t get more than a few kills per game in this. It’s fun, don’t get me wrong, but there’s NO reason why I should be doing this bad in a game that is a “spiritual reboot.” Is it the controls or the gameplay? I’m not sure. But a few things I have to add is:

  • The Sidekick should NOT be lethal from halfway across Recharge. It’s infuriating and makes strongholds absolutely abysmal to play PVP in. (I know this comment is ironic coming from somebody who adores CE, but I never defended that pistol’s range as I think it waters down combat.)
  • The Sidekick should also NEVER outperform weapons like the Ravager or Heatwave EVER. There’s no incentive for me to hunt for power weapons currently because the spawn-loadout is good at close, medium, and long range, AND outperforms weapons like the Ravager or Heatwave even when I land EVERY shot of said weapons.
  • The Assault Rifle feels really good, almost perfect, even. But the range NEEDS to be nerfed. I shouldn’t be able to be suppressed from across the map by a CQC weapon. It makes the function of equipment like the Repulsor more niche. I can’t tell you how many times I used the Repulsor on an enemy that was feet away from me shooting me with an AR just to still get killed because the range on the AR is so good that he could STILL kill me consistently while flying hundreds of feet away. Makes its uses narrower and more stale.
  • If you insist on keeping the Sidekick and AR just as powerful, you NEED to buff the Ravager and Heatwave, along with any other weapons that are unrevealed that are going to be put to shame by the Sidekick and AR. Make the heatwave kill in two shots if you land every vertically-spread shot. Make the Ravager kill in one burst IF you land both shots in a single burst, but make the ammo run out at a frequency of 20% per shot or something.

I really enjoy playing Halo Infinite… against bots. PVP feels like I just joined an old Halo 3 MLG Gamebattle with how sweaty and useless any weapons are other than the “keystones.” I feel as though a buff to aim assist would help controller players a ton. Right now, KB&M has a ridiculous advantage. KB&M has an inherent advantage in every game, but the lack of aim assist for controller is widening that gap. I will be writing a report at the end of the flight directly to 343i so they can get direct feedback, as all of you should, just wanted to share my two cents.

After playing today I am perplexed as to what is going on. I’m fairly certain there is some sort of bug they need to work on. I only say this because I tested out playing on PC Xbox one x and Xbox one. My results are follows

PC I played six matches; three with my elite series 2 controller and three with M&KB. Using the controller I got an average accuracy of roughly 35%. When switched to M&KB my accuracy went up to nearly 80%. However, I played one more game with M&KB just to see and then i went back to around 20% accuracy and since then its been the same.

Xbox one X this got my best results I would say. After 6 games all with gamepad I was getting around 60% accuracy which is my normal in all other halos and usually other FPS’s.

Xbox one: This was about average with my PC accuracy around 20%-30% accuracy obviously using a gamepad.

I believe after watching streams and youtubers I think I know what is going on with PC. My two hypotheses are that 1. Different GPUs and possible CPUs are producing these effects not an software engineer just observing what could be a cause. 2. Framerate this is hard to track because I don’t have a data set outside my own PC but there have been instances in past games where higher frame rates affected game play. Interesting side note is that when I’m playing in matches its never close its always one team absolutely demolishes the other and everyone on the losing team is complaining about aim. Perhaps there is something in that as well but thats hard to say.

Xbox I think because of the cross generation game play we are seeing this issue. From just asking randoms in game play and in youtube comments I am seeing the overall majority of people not complaining are playing on the series S. With both the Series X and the OG xbox one getting the worse of it. My theory on framerates could be the same reason here but again hard to tell.

For all the “Git Gud” crowd I invite you to view my profile for MCC Halo 5 and for M&KB results my CSGO steam its all GTRBlackhawk. I am pretty decent when it comes to FPS’s in general. My concern isn’t necessarily myself its for the Halo community in general because I know many including my group of friends that have all tried this preview and have said if it doesn’t change then they have no interest in playing Infinite. 343 said they learned their lesson from H5 and I believe this is just because this is a tech preview but I am very worried for the sake of a game I care deeply about.

> 2533274819195715;19:
> After playing today I am perplexed as to what is going on. I’m fairly certain there is some sort of bug they need to work on. I only say this because I tested out playing on PC Xbox one x and Xbox one. My results are follows
>
> PC I played six matches; three with my elite series 2 controller and three with M&KB. Using the controller I got an average accuracy of roughly 35%. When switched to M&KB my accuracy went up to nearly 80%. However, I played one more game with M&KB just to see and then i went back to around 20% accuracy and since then its been the same.
>
> Xbox one X this got my best results I would say. After 6 games all with gamepad I was getting around 60% accuracy which is my normal in all other halos and usually other FPS’s.
>
> Xbox one: This was about average with my PC accuracy around 20%-30% accuracy obviously using a gamepad.
>
> I believe after watching streams and youtubers I think I know what is going on with PC. My two hypotheses are that 1. Different GPUs and possible CPUs are producing these effects not an software engineer just observing what could be a cause. 2. Framerate this is hard to track because I don’t have a data set outside my own PC but there have been instances in past games where higher frame rates affected game play. Interesting side note is that when I’m playing in matches its never close its always one team absolutely demolishes the other and everyone on the losing team is complaining about aim. Perhaps there is something in that as well but thats hard to say.
>
> Xbox I think because of the cross generation game play we are seeing this issue. From just asking randoms in game play and in youtube comments I am seeing the overall majority of people not complaining are playing on the series S. With both the Series X and the OG xbox one getting the worse of it. My theory on framerates could be the same reason here but again hard to tell.
>
> For all the “Git Gud” crowd I invite you to view my profile for MCC Halo 5 and for M&KB results my CSGO steam its all GTRBlackhawk. I am pretty decent when it comes to FPS’s in general. My concern isn’t necessarily myself its for the Halo community in general because I know many including my group of friends that have all tried this preview and have said if it doesn’t change then they have no interest in playing Infinite. 343 said they learned their lesson from H5 and I believe this is just because this is a tech preview but I am very worried for the sake of a game I care deeply about.

I tried playing today on my Series X, with my dead zones turned down to 2, my acceleration down to 1, and upping my vertical sensitivity to +1 my horizontal sensitivity (as per the suggestion of a community member) and I was able to get better (but not good) results.

There’s definitely something wrong with controller aim on PC. The series X controller aim was noticeably better. And while I’d still say it was still below average, it at least wasn’t horrible.