Halo infinite e3 2019 trailer was the opening

Chris Lee was on xbox daily to talk about infinite and revealed that the trailer was the opening sequence to the campaign if that’s anything to go by I’m in I really liked what I saw

https://youtu.be/z5dzmAnmVFM

That makes sense. Seeing Master Chief’s load up looks like the intro for Halo: Combat Evolved and/or Halo 2. “Look up. Look down. Look Left. Look Right. Let me calibrate the controls a little bit. (changes controls to inverted). Look up again then look down. Would you like to keep these controls or revert to the original?”

> 2546678360738636;2:
> That makes sense. Seeing Master Chief’s load up looks like the intro for Halo: Combat Evolved and/or Halo 2. “Look up. Look down. Look Left. Look Right. Let me calibrate the controls a little bit. (changes controls to inverted). Look up again then look down. Would you like to keep these controls or revert to the original?”

yep and introduce us to another character as well

If this is the opening cinematic, then dang 343 really went for the whole mystery angle hard and I LOVE it. If this is the beginning of the game then we really have no idea what’s going on. For old fans, perhaps there will be some lore sprinkled in to reward us for being in the know, but for new fans it could feel a lot like how we felt when we first played CE. Well done 343. If you’re gonna make this a reboot of sorts then you seem to be going about it the right way imo. A downside to this though is that the first level won’t be on a big space ship fighting in corridors, which was really fun in CE (Pillar of Autumn), H2 (Cairo Station), and H4 (Forward Unto Dawn). But that is a small downside.

Sweet!

I don’t like that. For a trailer, I would understand why they would have that sudden jump to action, but as an opening sequence for a game it ramps up way too fast.

> 2535435902217648;4:
> If this is the opening cinematic, then dang 343 really went for the whole mystery angle hard and I LOVE it. If this is the beginning of the game then we really have no idea what’s going on. For old fans, perhaps there will be some lore sprinkled in to reward us for being in the know, but for new fans it could feel a lot like how we felt when we first played CE. Well done 343. If you’re gonna make this a reboot of sorts then you seem to be going about it the right way imo. A downside to this though is that the first level won’t be on a big space ship fighting in corridors, which was really fun in CE (Pillar of Autumn), H2 (Cairo Station), and H4 (Forward Unto Dawn). But that is a small downside.

yea he called it opening sequence

> 2533274825830455;6:
> I don’t like that. For a trailer, I would understand why they would have that sudden jump to action, but as an opening sequence for a game it ramps up way too fast.

I guess but he clearly said it was the opening sequence cinematic

> 2533274825830455;6:
> I don’t like that. For a trailer, I would understand why they would have that sudden jump to action, but as an opening sequence for a game it ramps up way too fast.

Halo CE was very similar to this. One minute the Pillar of Autumn is just cruising to Alpha Halo then bang Keyes brings the ship back into combat alert and the Chief is reawakened to start fighting. It gives me that OG CE vibe so I’m pretty happy.

> 2533274872000737;9:
> > 2533274825830455;6:
> > I don’t like that. For a trailer, I would understand why they would have that sudden jump to action, but as an opening sequence for a game it ramps up way too fast.
>
> Halo CE was very similar to this. One minute the Pillar of Autumn is just cruising to Alpha Halo then bang Keyes brings the ship back into combat alert and the Chief is reawakened to start fighting. It gives me that OG CE vibe so I’m pretty happy.

I disagree. The opening of CE is fundamentally different. The first piece of dialogue between Keyes and Cortana immediately establishes that the Covenant is following them, and that they are about to be attacked. Then the cutscene shows the crew preparing to be boarded. So, by the time the Elites burst into the control room of the cryo chamber, you’re already aware of what’s happening. The last four minutes has slowly been preparing you for this moment, you’ve seen the crew getting prepared, there’s been a bunch of expository dialogue. It’s a very gradual ramp up.

In contrast, the Halo Infinite trailer takes you from silently floating alone in space to being attacked by something (you don’t even know what) in a couple of frames. In CE you don’t even get a weapon until you’ve made it to the bridge and had a lengthy discussion with Keyes and Cortana. In Halo Infinite, you’re already running to war a minute after waking up.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t like it. If you like it, then good for you. However, I think comparing it to CE is a disservice to the gentle pacing and exposition of the PoA opening sequence. Personally, it reminds me more of Halo 5 than CE (not that it’s as dreadful as the Halo 5 opening).

> 2533274825830455;10:
> > 2533274872000737;9:
> > > 2533274825830455;6:
> > > I don’t like that. For a trailer, I would understand why they would have that sudden jump to action, but as an opening sequence for a game it ramps up way too fast.
> >
> > Halo CE was very similar to this. One minute the Pillar of Autumn is just cruising to Alpha Halo then bang Keyes brings the ship back into combat alert and the Chief is reawakened to start fighting. It gives me that OG CE vibe so I’m pretty happy.
>
> I disagree. The opening of CE is fundamentally different. The first piece of dialogue between Keyes and Cortana immediately establishes that the Covenant is following them, and that they are about to be attacked. Then the cutscene shows the crew preparing to be boarded. So, by the time the Elites burst into the control room of the cryo chamber, you’re already aware of what’s happening. The last four minutes has slowly been preparing you for this moment, you’ve seen the crew getting prepared, there’s been a bunch of expository dialogue. It’s a very gradual ramp up.
>
> In contrast, the Halo Infinite trailer takes you from silently floating alone in space to being attacked by something (you don’t even know what) in a couple of frames. In CE you don’t even get a weapon until you’ve made it to the bridge and had a lengthy discussion with Keyes and Cortana. In Halo Infinite, you’re already running to war a minute after waking up.
>
> I’m not saying you shouldn’t like it. If you like it, then good for you. However, I think comparing it to CE is a disservice to the gentle pacing and exposition of the PoA opening sequence. Personally, it reminds me more of Halo 5 than CE (not that it’s as dreadful as the Halo 5 opening).

story wise halo ce even had a larger back story told in the booklet that came with the game. it wasn’t that long to read, but it set up the world and situation we were in.

regarding infinite: i don’t think thats the opening cut scene… maybe it gives an idea how the opening will play out. (then again i thought the same with the h5 opening cut scene and in the end it was really that bad)

i’m also now wondering if they bother to explain what happened inbetween the games and to the other charackters. i hope i don’t need to read extended universe stuff to know or at least have an idea, even though i don’t really care about them much, but i just want to know.

Did anyone else completely lose their minds when they heard the shield regeneration sound, despite hearing it numerous times in previous games?

> 2533274867591496;3:
> > 2546678360738636;2:
> > That makes sense. Seeing Master Chief’s load up looks like the intro for Halo: Combat Evolved and/or Halo 2. “Look up. Look down. Look Left. Look Right. Let me calibrate the controls a little bit. (changes controls to inverted). Look up again then look down. Would you like to keep these controls or revert to the original?”
>
> yep and introduce us to another character as well

Exactly! It feels appropriate to do a quick introduction like that then jump straight into the action.

> 2533274793122050;11:
> > 2533274825830455;10:
> > > 2533274872000737;9:
> > > > 2533274825830455;6:
> > > > I don’t like that. For a trailer, I would understand why they would have that sudden jump to action, but as an opening sequence for a game it ramps up way too fast.
> > >
> > > Halo CE was very similar to this. One minute the Pillar of Autumn is just cruising to Alpha Halo then bang Keyes brings the ship back into combat alert and the Chief is reawakened to start fighting. It gives me that OG CE vibe so I’m pretty happy.
> >
> > I disagree. The opening of CE is fundamentally different. The first piece of dialogue between Keyes and Cortana immediately establishes that the Covenant is following them, and that they are about to be attacked. Then the cutscene shows the crew preparing to be boarded. So, by the time the Elites burst into the control room of the cryo chamber, you’re already aware of what’s happening. The last four minutes has slowly been preparing you for this moment, you’ve seen the crew getting prepared, there’s been a bunch of expository dialogue. It’s a very gradual ramp up.
> >
> > In contrast, the Halo Infinite trailer takes you from silently floating alone in space to being attacked by something (you don’t even know what) in a couple of frames. In CE you don’t even get a weapon until you’ve made it to the bridge and had a lengthy discussion with Keyes and Cortana. In Halo Infinite, you’re already running to war a minute after waking up.
> >
> > I’m not saying you shouldn’t like it. If you like it, then good for you. However, I think comparing it to CE is a disservice to the gentle pacing and exposition of the PoA opening sequence. Personally, it reminds me more of Halo 5 than CE (not that it’s as dreadful as the Halo 5 opening).
>
> story wise halo ce even had a larger back story told in the booklet that came with the game. it wasn’t that long to read, but it set up the world and situation we were in.
>
> regarding infinite: i don’t think thats the opening cut scene… maybe it gives an idea how the opening will play out. (then again i thought the same with the h5 opening cut scene and in the end it was really that bad)
>
> i’m also now wondering if they bother to explain what happened inbetween the games and to the other charackters. i hope i don’t need to read extended universe stuff to know or at least have an idea, even though i don’t really care about them much, but i just want to know.

chris lee specifically said it was the opening sequence to the campaign so that’s basically is the opening which is insane that we have seen that so early on

> 2533274856626311;12:
> Did anyone else completely lose their minds when they heard the shield regeneration sound, despite hearing it numerous times in previous games?

yep since it was the one from CE!

> 2533274825830455;6:

Nothing is set in stone yet, we still have 1 1/2 years until release. Any thing can change with that sequence and it more than likely will.

> 2533274825830455;10:
> > 2533274872000737;9:
> > > 2533274825830455;6:
> > > I don’t like that. For a trailer, I would understand why they would have that sudden jump to action, but as an opening sequence for a game it ramps up way too fast.
> >
> > Halo CE was very similar to this. One minute the Pillar of Autumn is just cruising to Alpha Halo then bang Keyes brings the ship back into combat alert and the Chief is reawakened to start fighting. It gives me that OG CE vibe so I’m pretty happy.
>
> I disagree. The opening of CE is fundamentally different. The first piece of dialogue between Keyes and Cortana immediately establishes that the Covenant is following them, and that they are about to be attacked. Then the cutscene shows the crew preparing to be boarded. So, by the time the Elites burst into the control room of the cryo chamber, you’re already aware of what’s happening. The last four minutes has slowly been preparing you for this moment, you’ve seen the crew getting prepared, there’s been a bunch of expository dialogue. It’s a very gradual ramp up.
>
> In contrast, the Halo Infinite trailer takes you from silently floating alone in space to being attacked by something (you don’t even know what) in a couple of frames. In CE you don’t even get a weapon until you’ve made it to the bridge and had a lengthy discussion with Keyes and Cortana. In Halo Infinite, you’re already running to war a minute after waking up.
>
> I’m not saying you shouldn’t like it. If you like it, then good for you. However, I think comparing it to CE is a disservice to the gentle pacing and exposition of the PoA opening sequence. Personally, it reminds me more of Halo 5 than CE (not that it’s as dreadful as the Halo 5 opening).

You really don’t know what’s going on in the grand scheme of things. I mean we hear about Reach, Cole protocol, and the fact that they made a blind jump. Plus 343 said they wanted Infinite to feel like CE and that they would be using a lot of elements from all the games in this new one. So I do for a fact believe that this opening was way more similar to that of Halo CE. Frank O’Connor even hinted at that the pilot may do the look control test on the Chief like Bungie did at the beginning of all 3 Halo’s. So I still stand by my point of this scene relating to CE.

> 2533274825830455;6:

I’d hazard a guess in saying that it’s just a mere snippet out of a longer cut scene and cinematic. Perhaps the player interaction kicks in when the suit boots up and then we go back to the cinematic when the pelican is zapped.
I’m pretty excited. Looks good, sounds great.

But each to their own I guess shrug

If this is the opening cinematic , what the hell happened? Did Halo 5 end on a Halo? I thought it was shield world? How did we lose? How did The Halo get damaged? Why are we completely devoid of power and floating in space? Where is the rest of the U.N.S.C.? They study Halos when they find them , but left this one here for at least a month (judging by the time jump in the trailer) after fighting ended , with no survey team to investigate?
I mean I am down with the mysterious side of things , but if there is a significant difference in where 5 ended and Infinite begins , there had better be one hell of a long intro cinematic to explain all of this stuff.
I know at the end of legendary we see a Halo and hear Cortana humming? I think. But that only sets up what we are skipping over in this intro? Some one help me out please.

> 2533274872000737;17:
> You really don’t know what’s going on in the grand scheme of things. I mean we hear about Reach, Cole protocol, and the fact that they made a blind jump. Plus 343 said they wanted Infinite to feel like CE and that they would be using a lot of elements from all the games in this new one. So I do for a fact believe that this opening was way more similar to that of Halo CE. Frank O’Connor even hinted at that the pilot may do the look control test on the Chief like Bungie did at the beginning of all 3 Halo’s. So I still stand by my point of this scene relating to CE.

Of course the game doesn’t give us perfect knowledge on the events leading up to this situation, but that’s not really my point. The point is that the tension in the cutscene slowly rises from the first scene with PoA peacefully floating in space to the moment when the Elites pop into the cryo chamber control room. Nothing truly unexpected happens in the cutscene, because you already know the ship is getting attacked before you actually see it.

Trust me, the Halo CE references are not lost on me. But the Halo Infinite trailer—the pacing, the audiovisual choices—is executed very differently from the Halo CE opening in practice.