Halo infinite being infinite

Random idea I had, 343 could make halo 7, 8, and so on more like a DLC. Buy halo infinite and every few years we pay whatever the standard price is for games and download the game. Upon loading halo infinite we can then play the halo 7 campaign and any new weapons/armor/maps are added to multiplayer. Kinda like how they add new operators and maps in Rainbow 6 Seige every new season.

While a novel idea, I believe this would end up holding Halo back in the future because of Xbox One compatibly. I highly doubt that Halo 7 will be playable on current gen consoles, and forcing that compatibility would severely limit what 343 could do.

Imagine how Halo 5 would have turned out if it was forced to be playable on the 360.

> 2535440120215345;2:
> I highly doubt that Halo 7 will be playable on current gen consoles, and forcing that compatibility would severely limit what 343 could do.

I think this is the kicker here. While I don’t inherently dislike the idea, I’d like for Halo games after Infinite to be tailored for higher end consoles that naturally progress with them, rather than throttling because of older hardware.

I was thinking after every new release, the previous entry could be added to MCC at a lower cost. Then you could use MCC as a hub for all the Halo games besides the newest game. So for example after Infinite launches, they would go back and add H5 to MCC. Once Halo 7 launches, Infinite would be added to MCC, and so on.

> 2533274927740213;3:
> > 2535440120215345;2:
> > I highly doubt that Halo 7 will be playable on current gen consoles, and forcing that compatibility would severely limit what 343 could do.
>
> I think this is the kicker here. While I don’t inherently dislike the idea, I’d like for Halo games after Infinite to be tailored for higher end consoles that naturally progress with them, rather than throttling because of older hardware.

I agree. I also think it’s weird to think about what comes after Halo Infinite. I wonder what the future has in store for the Halo franchise into the 2020’s?

The issues other responses have pointed out are very valid. I’m not opposed to Infinite recieving substantial story DLC perhaps on the order of what ODST was meant to be for Halo 3; in fact, it would be super cool to receive a “second campaign” a year or two out from release as a holdover to Halo 7. But the idea of 343i and MS turning Infinite into their Halo take on the Windows 10 model or “The last one ever (just update it every year”) creates a massive change in what Halo is.

I know the Games as a Service model is increasingly huge, and Bungie of all developers are making their Destiny games into huge platforms for expansion and continuous use in a way that isn’t dissimilar to what I hear you proposing. I just don’t think the market expects (or wants, frankly) that from a Halo game. Traditionally, Halo has represented a “What you see is what you get,” value proposition to the consumer. Halo 5 shook this up a fair amount, but I think it’s still what people want from this series.

I could, of course, be wrong. I personally would prefer for the hypothetical future Halo games to enjoy distinctive identities in keeping with the history of the series, though.

I hope the series keeps going the Halo series is so incredible

> 2535456994498405;1:
> Random idea I had, 343 could make halo 7, 8, and so on more like a DLC. Buy halo infinite and every few years we pay whatever the standard price is for games and download the game. Upon loading halo infinite we can then play the halo 7 campaign and any new weapons/armor/maps are added to multiplayer. Kinda like how they add new operators and maps in Rainbow 6 Seige every new season.

That’s one possible meaning of “Halo Infinite”, OP. But what if it’s a story hint (too)?

Maybe like another “Infinite” titled game, Chief is caught in the tussle between the Didact (Comstock here), and ONI who want their AI back after he stole her in Halo 4 - so “What price will Chief pay - to set Cortana free?”:

https://youtu.be/b4biA1HsrmU?t=34 .

:smiley:

> 2533274927740213;3:
> > 2535440120215345;2:
> > I highly doubt that Halo 7 will be playable on current gen consoles, and forcing that compatibility would severely limit what 343 could do.
>
> I think this is the kicker here. While I don’t inherently dislike the idea, I’d like for Halo games after Infinite to be tailored for higher end consoles that naturally progress with them, rather than throttling because of older hardware.

Don’t forget the XCloud App which could yet stream new XBox Scarlett-only games that can’t be played natively on older hardware, so new games could be streamed to the XBox One/S/X just like they can to Laptops, Tablets or Phones… :slight_smile:

Absolutely not. We have enough problems with shady DRM practices as is, so we don’t need all future sequels as digital additions to another game.

While it’s a cool and interesting idea, I doubt it’s gonna happen. Infinite is releasing on Xbox One, however it’s also releasing on Scarlett, the next gen Xbox console. With future games in the years to come, they’re gonna most likely abandon the Xbox One, only focused on Scarlett, not wanting to have any restrictions. So no, 7 and other upcoming titles more than likely all won’t be uploaded or added to Infinite as a sort of hub.

This idea is interesting but I don’t think it would work. Players would get bored of the same thing and the console would be updated and this game would still be a Xbox one game.