Halo Has No "Spartan" Feel

Aesthetically, Halo has no super-soldier feel. We’re Spartans – walking tanks. Why doesn’t it feel like it?

• When you fall a great distance, there’s no thud on the ground, even though you’re wearing 2-ton armor. I should shake the freakin ground when I land. I’d even like to see a mini crater.

• When you melee, all you hear is a little “pch.” And why isn’t there a controller vibration at least? I’m punching them with the force of a freight train, yet it feels like I’m just b-slapping them. Make it feel more intense.

• The guns feel wimpy. The AR feels like it sputters out fairy dust. The rocket launcher has no kick at all and makes a quiet explosion. That’s doesn’t feel like a world-saving arsenal.

• When you sprint, you run only about 25% faster and you pant the whole time. A spartan can run up to around 50 mph. There should be some motion blur to show that I’m blazing fast. I feel like I’m speed-walking through the grocery store as it is.

• Let’s see some momentum when we sprint-jump. Two-ton armor flying through the air at a 20 mph doesn’t stop in right place when it lands.

• Why do I feel like I’m floating when I jump? Seriously, it’s too seemless. We need some type of reminder that we weigh as much as a truck, but we’re beastly enough to still jump 8 feet in the air. Right now it feels like I have tooth fairy wings that land me softly on the ground without even crushing a blade of grass.

Really, I don’t feel like a Spartan at all when I play Halo. You’ve got the gameplay right, but the aesthetics are all wrong. Spice it up in Halo 4 so we feel like we could single-handedly destroy the whole Covenant armada.

so true

agree, everything should be exaggerated to create a sense of immersion. Except when you crouch it should not make any sound

Mmm, quite.

> agree, everything should be exaggerated to create a sense of immersion. Except when you crouch it should not make any sound

Exactly. How it is now was perfect for CE because it was new back then. We had never jumped 10ft high or been able to punch an alien in the face and kill it. But Halo has been relying on those same experiences to deliver the immersion for 10 years. It’s worn out now, and we don’t feel as powerful anymore.

Crysis 2 probably has more of the Spartan feel than Halo right now: Breaking pavement from high falls, jumping high, and sprint faster at longer distances than in Halo.

I would think even if these little things were added that it would help immerse the player into the game more.

It would actually be cool to see this added if it isn’t too late.

Agreed. As you said, we’re 2-ton walking tanks. It should feel like we are.

Only thing is rocket launchers in real life don’t have recoil. Heck, the current Halo one has more than it should.

> Agreed. As you said, we’re 2-ton walking tanks.

Not quite. Around 500 kg for the armor, and around 180 kg for the Spartan himself. That’s not even three quarters of a ton.

But I agree that Spartans feel “too light”. I mean, you ought to be able to kill Grunts by jumping on them. XD

> Why do I feel like I’m floating when I jump? Seriously, it’s too seemless. We need some type of reminder that we weigh as much as a truck, but we’re beastly enough to still jump 8 feet in the air. Right now it feels like I have tooth fairy wings that land me softly on the ground without even crushing a blade of grass.
>
> Really, I don’t feel like a Spartan at all when I play Halo. You’ve got the gameplay right, but the aesthetics are all wrong. Spice it up in Halo 4 so we feel like we could single-handedly destroy the whole Covenant armada.

However canonically it fits: “Although the armor’s components were bulkier and heavier than his old suit, once assembled and activated, they felt light as air.” Fall of Reach by Eric Nylund Chapter 27, page 249, 3rd paragraph. This is from the original publishing, not the redone version.

There has been a comparison to another game, and I cannot comment on that since I have not played said game. However, for me, there is some level of imagination involved here. I do not expect for the video games to play exactly how it reads in the books. In Reach we are playing as a Spartan III, the mass produced, not as superior in technology as the Spartan II’s.

<4

> > Agreed. As you said, we’re 2-ton walking tanks.
>
> Not quite. Around 500 kg for the armor, and around 180 kg for the Spartan himself. That’s not even three quarters of a ton.
>
> But I agree that Spartans feel “too light”. I mean, you ought to be able to kill Grunts by jumping on them. XD

Details, details.

Most of it is gameplay stuff, also we can take out entire armies with ease, that seems pretty super soildery to me.

> Most of it is gameplay stuff, also we can take out entire armies with ease, that seems pretty super soildery to me.

It seems almost every video-game hero can do that nowadays.

> > Most of it is gameplay stuff, also we can take out entire armies with ease, that seems pretty super soildery to me.
>
> It seems almost every video-game hero can do that nowadays.

Which if they are supposed to be a regular guy they shouldn’t be able to.

> > > Most of it is gameplay stuff, also we can take out entire armies with ease, that seems pretty super soildery to me.
> >
> > It seems almost every video-game hero can do that nowadays.
>
> Which if they are supposed to be a regular guy they shouldn’t be able to.

Yes, but I’m just saying that being able to do that in a video-game doesn’t really separate Spartans as super soldiers by itself.

> > > Most of it is gameplay stuff, also we can take out entire armies with ease, that seems pretty super soildery to me.
> >
> > It seems almost every video-game hero can do that nowadays.
>
> Which if they are supposed to be a regular guy they shouldn’t be able to.

In my opinion the only “regular guy” that is an exception of that would be Commander Shepard.

> > Why do I feel like I’m floating when I jump? Seriously, it’s too seemless. We need some type of reminder that we weigh as much as a truck, but we’re beastly enough to still jump 8 feet in the air. Right now it feels like I have tooth fairy wings that land me softly on the ground without even crushing a blade of grass.
> >
> > Really, I don’t feel like a Spartan at all when I play Halo. You’ve got the gameplay right, but the aesthetics are all wrong. Spice it up in Halo 4 so we feel like we could single-handedly destroy the whole Covenant armada.
>
> However canonically it fits: “Although the armor’s components were bulkier and heavier than his old suit, once assembled and activated, they felt light as air.” Fall of Reach by Eric Nylund Chapter 27, page 249, 3rd paragraph. This is from the original publishing, not the redone version.
>
> There has been a comparison to another game, and I cannot comment on that since I have not played said game. However, for me, there is some level of imagination involved here. I do not expect for the video games to play exactly how it reads in the books. In Reach we are playing as a Spartan III, the mass produced, not as superior in technology as the Spartan II’s.
>
> <4

Yes, it felt “light as air” to the Spartan inside. That doesn’t mean it is physically light as air. Gravity still applies.

But beign overpowered like that would be unbalanced.

> But beign overpowered like that would be unbalanced.

Halo CE everything was overpowered in their ideal combat situation and it was the most balenced Halo game ever.

In Halo CE the guns just felt more powerful. The AR didnt sound like a popcorn maker, it had a deep pac a punch sound to it. Also Meleeing Elites made huge splashes of blood everywere that would lagg the game. Halo CE felt the most badass out of all the Halo games.

> > But beign overpowered like that would be unbalanced.
>
> Halo CE everything was overpowered in their ideal combat situation and it was the most balenced Halo game ever.
>
>
>
>
> In Halo CE the guns just felt more powerful. The AR didnt sound like a popcorn maker, it had a deep pac a punch sound to it. Also Meleeing Elites made huge splashes of blood everywere that would lagg the game. Halo CE felt the most Yoink! out of all the Halo games.

That’s not what i tried to say,anyways,i don’t want to be really overpowered.