Halo Game Engine

I could not find the specifications of the Halo: Reach engine, which will be modified for Halo 4. So I’ve decided to create a thread regarding the Halo 4 engine.

The standard I’d like to reference is the Unreal Engine 3/4.

http://udk.com/features

Take note of it’s features, as I will quote below.

> Pure Rendering Power
>
> UDK’s multi-threaded rendering system, Gemini, gives you a 64-bit HDR rendering pipeline. The raw power behind UDK’s rendering system will push your creations to new levels. Your work has never seemed as alive as it is with UDK.

> Real World Physics
>
> UDK’s physics engine is powered by NVIDIA’s PhysX, giving you unparalleled control over character movement, dynamic fluid simulation and even soft body physics. Tweak and modify your physics using the Unreal PhAT visual modeling tool. Impose your will on your world via detailed physics modeling.

> Eye-popping Lighting and Shadows
>
> Illuminate your world with UDK’s advanced lighting and shadowing system, screen space ambient occlusion and Unreal Lightmass, the global illumination solver yielding high-quality static lighting and effects. UDK supports all modern per-pixel lighting and rendering techniques as well as custom, artist-controlled per-material lighting models.

> Artificial Intelligence
>
> Give AI-controlled characters increased spatial awareness of the world around them and enable them to make smarter movements with UDK’s gameplay framework and artificial intelligence system. Add life to your game world by using UDK’s crowd system with flocking technology, which can simulate hundreds of characters within a scene in real time.

> Distributed Computing
>
> Take advantage of UDK’s multi-core support with Unreal Swarm, a distributed computing system that harnesses computational power and automatically allocates tasks on the fly for dramatically increased performance. Unreal Swarm works in tandem with Unreal Lightmass, the global illumination solver.

> Destructible Environments
>
> Build a gorgeous world and then let your players crush it to pieces. UDK’s fracturing tool and runtime enable you to take virtually any existing mesh, slice it up into as many fragments as desired, and destroy structures. UDK supports the destruction of everything from metal to cloth, bringing more realism and interaction to your environment.

-UDK Features

These quotes are from the features page of www.udk.com. I’d like to especially call for attention for Nvidia’s PhysX.

Now 343, what can you do to make your Halo 4 Engine rise to this standard, and even higher?

Get a new console obviously.

The Havok engine IMO seems to be just as good. Plus its’ physics makes me lol

> The Havok engine IMO seems to be just as good. Plus its’ physics makes me lol

Unless I’m mistaken Havok is just middleway to be used with other engines.

It is not an engine itself except for physics and other gameplay applications.

You can’t just Build a game on a the havok engine. You use the havok tools with an existing engine.

> > The Havok engine IMO seems to be just as good. Plus its’ physics makes me lol
>
> Unless I’m mistaken Havok is just middleway to be used with other engines.
>
> It is not an engine itself except for physics and other gameplay applications.
>
> You can’t just Build a game on a the havok engine. You use the havok tools with an existing engine.

I see what you are trying to say but all I see on the box is Havok

lol what? all of those feature are standard in 90% of game engines today. even free engines such as unity. the halo engine does all of that and then some.

I’m confused, why did you list Unreal Engine info?

But you can find some stuff on the Halo Reach Engine (amongst other engines here

really all of the halo engines have been the same but all were modified like halo 3s was built from halo 2s and halo 2s to halo and basically bungie built a new engine for reach and that engine will probably be used for the rest of the series