Halo Fractures- !!FORERUNNER SPOILER!!!

So I got the new Halo Fractures book on Tuesday. It’s a pretty good read so far. Bunch of different stories throughout the Halo universe as we know it. The topic I wish to talk or rather write about today is Forerunners and living outside the Galaxy.
!!SPOILER!!
In the mini story inside Halo Fractures, we learn about what happened to the Iso-Didact after the firing of the rings. apparently the rings do have shielding that species can survive. Him and 20 other forerunners did. The story itself is rather interesting and i’d recommend you reading it. To cut to the chase so to speak, at the end of the story ISO-Didact aka Bornstelllar and several other Forerunners get into ships and head for a destination outside the known galaxy. Galaxy not universe. There they plan to repopulate the forerunner race. With that being said in the book, that means that there is a great possibility or at least in my opinion that we could actually see breathing living forerunners in future Halo titles. It gets better. These forerunners that went with ISO-Didact also sympathize for humanity. That means that their descendants or even themselves might be in future Halo lore and might even help us out. That would be awesome, don’t you think. What’s your take on this? Could actuall Forerunners in be in Future Halo Games. Yes I know the Didact was an actual forerunner as well but others were constructs.

My copy arrives today, but I’ve always felt that assuming the surviving Forerunners on the Ark were alive (hiding or traveled far outside our galaxy) was a safe assumption without any concrete evidence to the contrary. It’s too big of a question to just leave it open ended, and in time, come back and say they are just dead. I’m glad this story has been included, and it seems it gives a lot of information we have been asking for since the Forerunner trilogy… I can’t wait to read it.

Otherwise, in regards to your question above, I definitely believe it’s a possibility that we could make contact with them. Personally, I hope we do as I see it as the logically way the Halo narrative will take with the impending return of the Flood/Precursors, and the timing of release for this story suggests that it could be soon. However, take it with a grain of salt, 343i has set up some interesting plot points, but we have to hope they will deliver on them… that’s not a guarantee even though I’m a fan of the story they are trying to tell.

Wait a minute the Forerunners are still alive? I haven’t gotten my copy yet but really they are still out there doesn’t that go against everything from the original Halo story?

At least it gives an explanation for what happened after “Silentium”. But I still can’t get over the fact that, after all this moral and ethical debate the Forerunners had about firing the Halo rings to kill the Flood, they get “get-out-of-jail-free” cards in the form of the Halos, Ark, and Shield Worlds. Seriously, it undoes all of the doom and gloom associated with the Halos, and makes the mystery of what they left behind not so mysterious. I wish all the Forerunners had died like originally thought, so that Humanity and everyone else would look at history and realize just how dangerous the Halos are. But, no…they can cheat death whenever they want, and it really kills many great aspects of the story of HCE-H3 for me…

> 2533274978383425;3:
> Wait a minute the Forerunners are still alive? I haven’t gotten my copy yet but really they are still out there doesn’t that go against everything from the original Halo story?

Exactly my feelings on it (though I knew about them still being alive when I played Halo 4 and read the novels by Greg Bear). See my own post directly below yours!

> 2533274887950450;4:
> At least it gives an explanation for what happened after “Silentium”. But I still can’t get over the fact that, after all this moral and ethical debate the Forerunners had about firing the Halo rings to kill the Flood, they get “get-out-of-jail-free” cards in the form of the Halos, Ark, and Shield Worlds. Seriously, it undoes all of the doom and gloom associated with the Halos, and makes the mystery of what they left behind not so mysterious. I wish all the Forerunners had died like originally thought, so that Humanity and everyone else would look at history and realize just how dangerous the Halos are. But, no…they can cheat death whenever they want, and it really kills many great aspects of the story of HCE-H3 for me…

I mean, what, 20 Forerunners are possibly still alive. I’d say that’s a significant and tragic fall from the trillions that are described at the height of their empire. This doesn’t include those in Path Kethona, either, as they would still be alive either way regardless of the Halo’s firing. I just don’t think 99.9999999% extinction is a “get out of jail free” card, especially when the Shield Worlds and other Forerunner constructs could have been found and destroyed by the Flood if they didn’t fire the Halos. Also, we learn so little about the Forerunners in Halo CE-Halo 3 to be honest, that the story isn’t overly different if 20 Forerunners survived and left for eternity (to me, at least).

> 2533274796523661;6:
> > 2533274887950450;4:
> > At least it gives an explanation for what happened after “Silentium”. But I still can’t get over the fact that, after all this moral and ethical debate the Forerunners had about firing the Halo rings to kill the Flood, they get “get-out-of-jail-free” cards in the form of the Halos, Ark, and Shield Worlds. Seriously, it undoes all of the doom and gloom associated with the Halos, and makes the mystery of what they left behind not so mysterious. I wish all the Forerunners had died like originally thought, so that Humanity and everyone else would look at history and realize just how dangerous the Halos are. But, no…they can cheat death whenever they want, and it really kills many great aspects of the story of HCE-H3 for me…
>
>
> I mean, what, 20 Forerunners are possibly still alive. I’d say that’s a significant and tragic fall from the trillions that are described at the height of their empire. This doesn’t include those in Path Kethona, either, as they would still be alive either way regardless of the Halo’s firing. I just don’t think 99.9999999% extinction is a “get out of jail free” card, especially when the Shield Worlds and other Forerunner constructs could have been found and destroyed by the Flood if they didn’t fire the Halos. Also, we learn so little about the Forerunners in Halo CE-Halo 3 to be honest, that the story isn’t overly different if 20 Forerunners survived and left for eternity (to me, at least).

Of course, it’s been millennia since then, so any compatible survivors would have procreated in that time, and so on and so forth. And even if they did leave “for eternity”, as you state, I fear that 343i is wanting to bring them back. Despite Halo 4’s amazing sub-plots, I really was thrown off by the Didact, a Forerunner, being alive in the game - and it didn’t help that he was portrayed as a cliche monologuing villain with no redeeming qualities (completely different from how he was portrayed in the Greg Bear novels). I feel that if the main Halo story/games become oversaturated with living Forerunners, it’s going to ruin a lot of the mystery that I enjoyed having in the original trilogy. Some things should be left unexplained, as that, to me, is what makes them interesting…

> 2533274978383425;3:
> Wait a minute the Forerunners are still alive? I haven’t gotten my copy yet but really they are still out there doesn’t that go against everything from the original Halo story?

No, we’ve known that the Forerunners are alive and went elsewhere since IRIS - before Halo 3 came out…

> 2533274887950450;7:
> > 2533274796523661;6:
> > > 2533274887950450;4:
> > > At least it gives an explanation for what happened after “Silentium”. But I still can’t get over the fact that, after all this moral and ethical debate the Forerunners had about firing the Halo rings to kill the Flood, they get “get-out-of-jail-free” cards in the form of the Halos, Ark, and Shield Worlds. Seriously, it undoes all of the doom and gloom associated with the Halos, and makes the mystery of what they left behind not so mysterious. I wish all the Forerunners had died like originally thought, so that Humanity and everyone else would look at history and realize just how dangerous the Halos are. But, no…they can cheat death whenever they want, and it really kills many great aspects of the story of HCE-H3 for me…
> >
> >
> > I mean, what, 20 Forerunners are possibly still alive. I’d say that’s a significant and tragic fall from the trillions that are described at the height of their empire. This doesn’t include those in Path Kethona, either, as they would still be alive either way regardless of the Halo’s firing. I just don’t think 99.9999999% extinction is a “get out of jail free” card, especially when the Shield Worlds and other Forerunner constructs could have been found and destroyed by the Flood if they didn’t fire the Halos. Also, we learn so little about the Forerunners in Halo CE-Halo 3 to be honest, that the story isn’t overly different if 20 Forerunners survived and left for eternity (to me, at least).
>
>
> Of course, it’s been millennia since then, so any compatible survivors would have procreated in that time, and so on and so forth. And even if they did leave “for eternity”, as you state, I fear that 343i is wanting to bring them back. Despite Halo 4’s amazing sub-plots, I really was thrown off by the Didact, a Forerunner, being alive in the game - and it didn’t help that he was portrayed as a cliche monologuing villain with no redeeming qualities (completely different from how he was portrayed in the Greg Bear novels). I feel that if the main Halo story/games become oversaturated with living Forerunners, it’s going to ruin a lot of the mystery that I enjoyed having in the original trilogy. Some things should be left unexplained, as that, to me, is what makes them interesting…

It’s always preference on these sorts of things, so I understand where you are coming from. For me, it doesn’t do anything to diminish H1-H3’s story arc. If you play with what is known at that point in time by humanity, it’ll play exactly the same. While we can read the books, those pieces of knowledge don’t come in the Halo timeline until after H3 (i.e. - 343 hijacking the Rubicon).

So, I have no doubt we will see the Forerunners at some point in upcoming games (Halo 7, 8, or whatever number), so I’m kind of expecting it. How many, with regards to procreating, is up for debate I guess. I always thought it a bit low of a number for Forerunners to have trillions in population, yet it was over millions of worlds. Doing the math, 10 trillion divided by even just 1 millions worlds results in an average population 10 million per world (which could be far less with more worlds and isn’t close to the size of some of the current cities on Earth). So, perhaps they procreate very different with regards to population growth, or those Forerunners, if still alive, had decided long ago to be the last as a self-inflicted punishment for their sins against the Mantle. It’s all speculation, I know… but they could be possibilities, we just don’t have the info.

As for the Didact, he was definitely not as nuanced a character in Halo 4 as he was in the novels… there’s no doubt about it. But, I think that was a decision to allow players (especially those who didn’t read the novels) to see him as the true enemy, and perhaps the original idea was to expand on him in Halo 5 (we know how that went). Otherwise, his portrayal in game for those that did read the book, while it could have been better, wasn’t necessarily out of character for him. He didn’t recover from the logic plague since he had no access to the Domain to “heal his mind,” so he would still carry the extreme hate and desire for eradication of humanity that the Gravemind instilled in him. So, his one track mind and character, in a way, are exactly who he is.

Hopefully, it’s not ‘over saturated’ as you say with Forerunners in Halo’s future. I think bringing them back can open so many amazing doors for the story and answer so many questions, but that’s if (and a big if) it’s handled properly by 343… so to that end, I agree with you.

It makes sense to me that, with the existence of Shield Worlds, all Forerunners would not die after activating the Halo array. The existence of Forerunners who survived the Halo array shifts the tragedy from being the absolute end of Forerunner existence to being the fall of the glorious Forerunner civilization because it could not defeat The Flood. So there’s a redemption possibility for Forerunners to stop being so authoritative and arrogant and change to defeat The Flood this time.

Although Halo 5’s story left a lot to be desired, it set up the universe in a very interesting way. I’m very interested to see how Halo Wars 2 and Halo 6 tie into the existence of these Forerunners and the new threat of Cortana and the Created.

> 2533274967145711;10:
> Although Halo 5’s story left a lot to be desired, it set up the universe in a very interesting way. I’m very interested to see how Halo Wars 2 and Halo 6 tie into the existence of these Forerunners and the new threat of Cortana and the Created.

This. I agree with all this… a lot to be desired, for sure. Nonetheless, paying attention to the story and accepting it happened (hard for some people on here, including a lot of my friends) does allow for an interesting direction with the story. I’m also very intrigued to see where they take the story… the Created came, seemingly, out of nowhere, but I hope they can tie it into the larger Halo narrative with the Forerunners (possibly returning for redemption as you say), the Flood (is it truly a test for the Mantle?), or the Precursors (will they ever show up, or will they be the race that always remains a mystery). I don’t think the Precursors will show up or true clarity on them will happen anytime soon, so I think they should take the place of the ‘mysteriousness’ the Forerunners held for so many people. There’s still an entire race of god-like being that we know only a tiny bit about… let that be the mystery.

> 2533274811368357;8:
> > 2533274978383425;3:
> > Wait a minute the Forerunners are still alive? I haven’t gotten my copy yet but really they are still out there doesn’t that go against everything from the original Halo story?
>
>
> No, we’ve known that the Forerunners are alive and went elsewhere since IRIS - before Halo 3 came out…

Well the next thing we will see is the Precursors will be coming back wanting revenge on the Forerunners.

> 2533274978383425;12:
> > 2533274811368357;8:
> > > 2533274978383425;3:
> > > Wait a minute the Forerunners are still alive? I haven’t gotten my copy yet but really they are still out there doesn’t that go against everything from the original Halo story?
> >
> >
> > No, we’ve known that the Forerunners are alive and went elsewhere since IRIS - before Halo 3 came out…
>
>
> Well the next thing we will see is the Precursors will be coming back wanting revenge on the Forerunners.

That’s a pretty large assumptions though. What you are responding to is a fact, this was brought up in IRIS and now, again, in the Forerunner trilogy/Halo Fractures. Also, technically, the Precursors have been present since midway through Halo CE since the Flood is basically Precursors that turned to dust and evolved into the Flood (the short version of the story).

> 2533274887950450;7:
> > 2533274796523661;6:
> > > 2533274887950450;4:
> > > At least it gives an explanation for what happened after “Silentium”. But I still can’t get over the fact that, after all this moral and ethical debate the Forerunners had about firing the Halo rings to kill the Flood, they get “get-out-of-jail-free” cards in the form of the Halos, Ark, and Shield Worlds. Seriously, it undoes all of the doom and gloom associated with the Halos, and makes the mystery of what they left behind not so mysterious. I wish all the Forerunners had died like originally thought, so that Humanity and everyone else would look at history and realize just how dangerous the Halos are. But, no…they can cheat death whenever they want, and it really kills many great aspects of the story of HCE-H3 for me…
> >
> >
> > I mean, what, 20 Forerunners are possibly still alive. I’d say that’s a significant and tragic fall from the trillions that are described at the height of their empire. This doesn’t include those in Path Kethona, either, as they would still be alive either way regardless of the Halo’s firing. I just don’t think 99.9999999% extinction is a “get out of jail free” card, especially when the Shield Worlds and other Forerunner constructs could have been found and destroyed by the Flood if they didn’t fire the Halos. Also, we learn so little about the Forerunners in Halo CE-Halo 3 to be honest, that the story isn’t overly different if 20 Forerunners survived and left for eternity (to me, at least).
>
>
> Of course, it’s been millennia since then, so any compatible survivors would have procreated in that time, and so on and so forth. And even if they did leave “for eternity”, as you state, I fear that 343i is wanting to bring them back. Despite Halo 4’s amazing sub-plots, I really was thrown off by the Didact, a Forerunner, being alive in the game - and it didn’t help that he was portrayed as a cliche monologuing villain with no redeeming qualities (completely different from how he was portrayed in the Greg Bear novels). I feel that if the main Halo story/games become oversaturated with living Forerunners, it’s going to ruin a lot of the mystery that I enjoyed having in the original trilogy. Some things should be left unexplained, as that, to me, is what makes them interesting…

The Forerunners will not be coming back. Bornstellar explains in the epilogue story of Fractures that the Forerunners fled, to a new galaxy presumably, and planned to let themselves die out in peace. They eschewed any and all technology in favor of a primitive and happy life, at one with the world at last, so their immortality is gone, and 20 Forerunners isn’t enough to maintain a viable population anyway. Bornstellar, iirc, also says that the Forerunners all settled on different planets, so long-term procreation isn’t a thing. He wanted to reclaim the soul of the Forerunners, and did so in this final act. His and Chant’s son is the first, and last, Forerunner to be born free of their sins. After that, they’ll be gone forever.

> 2533274798011936;14:
> > 2533274887950450;7:
> > > 2533274796523661;6:
> > > > 2533274887950450;4:
> > > > At least it gives an explanation for what happened after “Silentium”. But I still can’t get over the fact that, after all this moral and ethical debate the Forerunners had about firing the Halo rings to kill the Flood, they get “get-out-of-jail-free” cards in the form of the Halos, Ark, and Shield Worlds. Seriously, it undoes all of the doom and gloom associated with the Halos, and makes the mystery of what they left behind not so mysterious. I wish all the Forerunners had died like originally thought, so that Humanity and everyone else would look at history and realize just how dangerous the Halos are. But, no…they can cheat death whenever they want, and it really kills many great aspects of the story of HCE-H3 for me…
> > >
> > >
> > > I mean, what, 20 Forerunners are possibly still alive. I’d say that’s a significant and tragic fall from the trillions that are described at the height of their empire. This doesn’t include those in Path Kethona, either, as they would still be alive either way regardless of the Halo’s firing. I just don’t think 99.9999999% extinction is a “get out of jail free” card, especially when the Shield Worlds and other Forerunner constructs could have been found and destroyed by the Flood if they didn’t fire the Halos. Also, we learn so little about the Forerunners in Halo CE-Halo 3 to be honest, that the story isn’t overly different if 20 Forerunners survived and left for eternity (to me, at least).
> >
> >
> > Of course, it’s been millennia since then, so any compatible survivors would have procreated in that time, and so on and so forth. And even if they did leave “for eternity”, as you state, I fear that 343i is wanting to bring them back. Despite Halo 4’s amazing sub-plots, I really was thrown off by the Didact, a Forerunner, being alive in the game - and it didn’t help that he was portrayed as a cliche monologuing villain with no redeeming qualities (completely different from how he was portrayed in the Greg Bear novels). I feel that if the main Halo story/games become oversaturated with living Forerunners, it’s going to ruin a lot of the mystery that I enjoyed having in the original trilogy. Some things should be left unexplained, as that, to me, is what makes them interesting…
>
>
> The Forerunners will not be coming back. Bornstellar explains in the epilogue story of Fractures that the Forerunners fled, to a new galaxy presumably, and planned to let themselves die out in peace. They eschewed any and all technology in favor of a primitive and happy life, at one with the world at last, so their immortality is gone, and 20 Forerunners isn’t enough to maintain a viable population anyway. Bornstellar, iirc, also says that the Forerunners all settled on different planets, so long-term procreation isn’t a thing. He wanted to reclaim the soul of the Forerunners, and did so in this final act. His and Chant’s son is the first, and last, Forerunner to be born free of their sins. After that, they’ll be gone forever.

As I do not own the book, thank-you for giving me more information regarding the story in question. If anything, this makes way more sense to me from a lore POV. The Forerunners shed much blood during their reign and became very warlike and power-hungry, so it’s fitting for the survivors (bar the Ur-Didact, of course) to wish to live out their lives in peace. They’ve paid a high price already, and to return to the galaxy and make the same mistakes all over again would be counter-productive. So far, it’s the Ur-Didact, Mendicant Bias, and now Cortana who have screwed things up royally with Forerunner weapons.

Well, we’re going to need a deus ex of some kind to have any shot of defeating the Created… If not the return of the Flood, then maybe the return of these Forerunners. I do realize in saying that of course that they did not plan to ever return, but… Not like 343 never overturns stuff. :wink:

> 2533274887950450;15:
> > 2533274798011936;14:
> > > 2533274887950450;7:
> > > > 2533274796523661;6:
> > > > > 2533274887950450;4:
> > > > > At least it gives an explanation for what happened after “Silentium”. But I still can’t get over the fact that, after all this moral and ethical debate the Forerunners had about firing the Halo rings to kill the Flood, they get “get-out-of-jail-free” cards in the form of the Halos, Ark, and Shield Worlds. Seriously, it undoes all of the doom and gloom associated with the Halos, and makes the mystery of what they left behind not so mysterious. I wish all the Forerunners had died like originally thought, so that Humanity and everyone else would look at history and realize just how dangerous the Halos are. But, no…they can cheat death whenever they want, and it really kills many great aspects of the story of HCE-H3 for me…
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > I mean, what, 20 Forerunners are possibly still alive. I’d say that’s a significant and tragic fall from the trillions that are described at the height of their empire. This doesn’t include those in Path Kethona, either, as they would still be alive either way regardless of the Halo’s firing. I just don’t think 99.9999999% extinction is a “get out of jail free” card, especially when the Shield Worlds and other Forerunner constructs could have been found and destroyed by the Flood if they didn’t fire the Halos. Also, we learn so little about the Forerunners in Halo CE-Halo 3 to be honest, that the story isn’t overly different if 20 Forerunners survived and left for eternity (to me, at least).
> > >
> > >
> > > Of course, it’s been millennia since then, so any compatible survivors would have procreated in that time, and so on and so forth. And even if they did leave “for eternity”, as you state, I fear that 343i is wanting to bring them back. Despite Halo 4’s amazing sub-plots, I really was thrown off by the Didact, a Forerunner, being alive in the game - and it didn’t help that he was portrayed as a cliche monologuing villain with no redeeming qualities (completely different from how he was portrayed in the Greg Bear novels). I feel that if the main Halo story/games become oversaturated with living Forerunners, it’s going to ruin a lot of the mystery that I enjoyed having in the original trilogy. Some things should be left unexplained, as that, to me, is what makes them interesting…
> >
> >
> > The Forerunners will not be coming back. Bornstellar explains in the epilogue story of Fractures that the Forerunners fled, to a new galaxy presumably, and planned to let themselves die out in peace. They eschewed any and all technology in favor of a primitive and happy life, at one with the world at last, so their immortality is gone, and 20 Forerunners isn’t enough to maintain a viable population anyway. Bornstellar, iirc, also says that the Forerunners all settled on different planets, so long-term procreation isn’t a thing. He wanted to reclaim the soul of the Forerunners, and did so in this final act. His and Chant’s son is the first, and last, Forerunner to be born free of their sins. After that, they’ll be gone forever.
>
>
> As I do not own the book, thank-you for giving me more information regarding the story in question. If anything, this makes way more sense to me from a lore POV. The Forerunners shed much blood during their reign and became very warlike and power-hungry, so it’s fitting for the survivors (bar the Ur-Didact, of course) to wish to live out their lives in peace. They’ve paid a high price already, and to return to the galaxy and make the same mistakes all over again would be counter-productive. So far, it’s the Ur-Didact, Mendicant Bias, and now Cortana who have screwed things up royally with Forerunner weapons.

That’s the idea. I always sort of saw a parallel between Ur-Didact and Lucifer, the fallen angel–literally in the sense that he is entombed in the very center of a world with multiple layers, surrounded by the mindless dead (Knights), and thematically, in that he had become corrupted and hateful. He will find no peace because of his sins, whereas Bornstellar and his allies do find their peace after facing judgement for their crimes by Abaddon, a Precursor intelligence. They can move on and end their “Great Journey”, as Bornstellar calls it, in a kind of heavenly place, whereas Didact is trapped in our galaxy with only his own madness to keep him company. Much like Hell.

Didact being an avatar of the Forerunners’ sins, and the sole representative of their race, makes sense, especially in light of the Fractures stories. It got pretty biblical, actually. And what is most interesting about this is that it is all being orchestrated by the Precursors–even the Didact’s madness is Precursor intent. They really have cemented themselves as the “god(s)” of this story.

> 2533274798011936;17:
> > 2533274887950450;15:
> > > 2533274798011936;14:
> > > > 2533274887950450;7:
> > > > > 2533274796523661;6:
> > > > > > 2533274887950450;4:
> > > > > > At least it gives an explanation for what happened after “Silentium”. But I still can’t get over the fact that, after all this moral and ethical debate the Forerunners had about firing the Halo rings to kill the Flood, they get “get-out-of-jail-free” cards in the form of the Halos, Ark, and Shield Worlds. Seriously, it undoes all of the doom and gloom associated with the Halos, and makes the mystery of what they left behind not so mysterious. I wish all the Forerunners had died like originally thought, so that Humanity and everyone else would look at history and realize just how dangerous the Halos are. But, no…they can cheat death whenever they want, and it really kills many great aspects of the story of HCE-H3 for me…
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > I mean, what, 20 Forerunners are possibly still alive. I’d say that’s a significant and tragic fall from the trillions that are described at the height of their empire. This doesn’t include those in Path Kethona, either, as they would still be alive either way regardless of the Halo’s firing. I just don’t think 99.9999999% extinction is a “get out of jail free” card, especially when the Shield Worlds and other Forerunner constructs could have been found and destroyed by the Flood if they didn’t fire the Halos. Also, we learn so little about the Forerunners in Halo CE-Halo 3 to be honest, that the story isn’t overly different if 20 Forerunners survived and left for eternity (to me, at least).
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Of course, it’s been millennia since then, so any compatible survivors would have procreated in that time, and so on and so forth. And even if they did leave “for eternity”, as you state, I fear that 343i is wanting to bring them back. Despite Halo 4’s amazing sub-plots, I really was thrown off by the Didact, a Forerunner, being alive in the game - and it didn’t help that he was portrayed as a cliche monologuing villain with no redeeming qualities (completely different from how he was portrayed in the Greg Bear novels). I feel that if the main Halo story/games become oversaturated with living Forerunners, it’s going to ruin a lot of the mystery that I enjoyed having in the original trilogy. Some things should be left unexplained, as that, to me, is what makes them interesting…
> > >
> > >
> > > The Forerunners will not be coming back. Bornstellar explains in the epilogue story of Fractures that the Forerunners fled, to a new galaxy presumably, and planned to let themselves die out in peace. They eschewed any and all technology in favor of a primitive and happy life, at one with the world at last, so their immortality is gone, and 20 Forerunners isn’t enough to maintain a viable population anyway. Bornstellar, iirc, also says that the Forerunners all settled on different planets, so long-term procreation isn’t a thing. He wanted to reclaim the soul of the Forerunners, and did so in this final act. His and Chant’s son is the first, and last, Forerunner to be born free of their sins. After that, they’ll be gone forever.
> >
> >
> > As I do not own the book, thank-you for giving me more information regarding the story in question. If anything, this makes way more sense to me from a lore POV. The Forerunners shed much blood during their reign and became very warlike and power-hungry, so it’s fitting for the survivors (bar the Ur-Didact, of course) to wish to live out their lives in peace. They’ve paid a high price already, and to return to the galaxy and make the same mistakes all over again would be counter-productive. So far, it’s the Ur-Didact, Mendicant Bias, and now Cortana who have screwed things up royally with Forerunner weapons.
>
>
> That’s the idea. I always sort of saw a parallel between Ur-Didact and Lucifer, the fallen angel–literally in the sense that he is entombed in the very center of a world with multiple layers, surrounded by the mindless dead (Knights), and thematically, in that he had become corrupted and hateful. He will find no peace because of his sins, whereas Bornstellar and his allies do find their peace after facing judgement for their crimes by Abaddon, a Precursor intelligence. They can move on and end their “Great Journey”, as Bornstellar calls it, in a kind of heavenly place, whereas Didact is trapped in our galaxy with only his own madness to keep him company. Much like Hell.
>
> Didact being an avatar of the Forerunners’ sins, and the sole representative of their race, makes sense, especially in light of the Fractures stories. It got pretty biblical, actually. And what is most interesting about this is that it is all being orchestrated by the Precursors–even the Didact’s madness is Precursor intent. They really have cemented themselves as the “god(s)” of this story.

Halo from the beginning has always had religious/mythological overtones, for sure, so this doesn’t surprise me (though it’s ironic because you can see the strife going on within the Covenant as almost being an anti-religion statement, though of course we are not allowed to get into any real-world/political discussions here). I find it interesting that the Ur-Didact becomes misguided and corrupted while his counterpart, the Iso-Didact, goes in the opposite direction that the original Didact ended up.

I’ve not read the book and likely wont.
So what happens to the IsoDidact and Chant to Green when they leave the galaxy to re-populate? Have they passed on and left children behind, do we expect to see the grandchildren of them?
What’s the chance that we get to see Foreunners actually return?

> 2533274796523661;6:
> > 2533274887950450;4:
> > At least it gives an explanation for what happened after “Silentium”. But I still can’t get over the fact that, after all this moral and ethical debate the Forerunners had about firing the Halo rings to kill the Flood, they get “get-out-of-jail-free” cards in the form of the Halos, Ark, and Shield Worlds. Seriously, it undoes all of the doom and gloom associated with the Halos, and makes the mystery of what they left behind not so mysterious. I wish all the Forerunners had died like originally thought, so that Humanity and everyone else would look at history and realize just how dangerous the Halos are. But, no…they can cheat death whenever they want, and it really kills many great aspects of the story of HCE-H3 for me…
>
>
> I mean, what, 20 Forerunners are possibly still alive. I’d say that’s a significant and tragic fall from the trillions that are described at the height of their empire. This doesn’t include those in Path Kethona, either, as they would still be alive either way regardless of the Halo’s firing. I just don’t think 99.9999999% extinction is a “get out of jail free” card, especially when the Shield Worlds and other Forerunner constructs could have been found and destroyed by the Flood if they didn’t fire the Halos. Also, we learn so little about the Forerunners in Halo CE-Halo 3 to be honest, that the story isn’t overly different if 20 Forerunners survived and left for eternity (to me, at least).

The Forerunners in Path Kethona are long dead. When the Flood attacked the Greater Ark in Silentium, they aimed the Omega Halo at Path Kethona & wiped out all life there…