Halo - Four Horsemen

So, the theory has been going around the community which notes the similarities between the Halo games, and the Four Horsemen of the apocalypse bible story.

Halo CE = Conquest (to own the Halo ring)
Halo 2 = War (Battle of Earth begins)
Halo 3 = Famine (The flood comes to Earth. Flood causes famine)
Halo 4 = Death (of Cortana)

But after thinking things over in my head, I have a bit more to add to the theory so I figured I’d post it here.

We all know that Bungie loved the number 7 - but was there more to it than that? In the bible story, there are seven seals scattered across the world, and it is said that if all seven seals are to be broken, then the walls between Heaven and Hell shall be opened and a fight shall break out between three kingdoms, leading to the ultimate destruction of the world. The three kingdoms can, in my opinion, be translated into the Halo story as this:

The first kingdom is the kingdom of Man which, obviously, is represented by mankind. They have no reason to fight beside the fact that the war is being fought in their own kingdom - they fight for survival

The kingdom of Heaven (or Angels) is represented by the Covenant. They are a heavily religious group and their reason for fighting is that they believe it is the will of the gods.

The kingdom of Hell (or Demons) is represented by the Flood. Their ultimate goal is to destroy everything that is not their own. They fight for dominance.

For this reason, I feel it to be far more than just a coincidence that there are Seven Halo rings. The rings are representative of the seven seals, and once broken (or in this case, activated) they bring forth the destruction of everything.

If Halo 5 really is going to be representative of the apocalypse, then I feel like we might just see the Halo array fire.

So then Halo 6 would just be an empty screen for 12 hours?

OR…and this is a big freakin “or”. People are just looking into it too much.
Edit: Auto Correct sucks.

“Apocalypse”; here is the Etymology of the word:

apo: “off”, “away”, “from”

calypse: “cover”

It literally means to uncover, unveil, reveal, etc. Not necessarily the end of the world. So, at E3 2014, there was a great apocalypse by 343i in the form of “The Master Chief Collection”. Sounds weird right?

It was originally an Ancient Greek word meaning just that, but was later adopted by early Christians to mean “the complete and final destruction of the world”.

The change in meaning is similar to the word “decimate”, only far more drastic. It comes from the Latin “decimat”: or “taken as a tenth” (get it, “dec”?) and used by the Roman Empire when referring to the practice of killing one out of every ten members of a mutinous legion. So if you hear someone say that something has been completely decimated, the literal meaning is that 90% of it remains unscathed. But today, it pretty much means the opposite; we would consider “decimate” to mean something like “only 10% survived”.

So, instead having Halo 5 end in an apocalypse as most people understand it (Halo rings firing) then we stare at a blank screen for 12 hours in Halo 6, how about the “unveiling” is Chief’s face, and we get to stare at it for 12 hours in Halo 6?

Or maybe we’re putting too much thought into it.

> Halo 3 = Famine (The flood comes to Earth. Flood causes famine)

This seems like such a massive stretch. The Flood don’t cause famine.

Perhaps thats just an over looking but it’s sounds good even an awesome idea. But whats up with the Forerunners? They could be the Kingdom of Haven/Angels, isn’t it?

> Perhaps thats just an over looking but it’s sounds good even an awesome idea. But whats up with the Forerunners? They could be the Kingdom of Haven/Angels, isn’t it?

I think that’s how the Covenant saw them (and how the Remnant sees them currently). But I think the reality is that they’re a bunch of fancy super advanced ancient aliens that were tasked with saving the Universe from the Flood, but had some disagreements about how.

The council wanted to wipe out the galaxy and start fresh (your Biblical Flood story) using the rings. And the Didact wanted to create an army of digital beings to battle the flood (don’t recall that from Sunday School, maybe that’s a Scientology thing. lol.)

Some have speculated that entire story is a metaphor for why Religion is wrong and dangerous and that Master Chief represents logic, science, and Atheism and is here to rid the Universe of supernatural ignorance, but that is incorrect.

What’s really going on is that the writers have borrowed heavily from the classic “Hero’s Journey” stories of yore. The kind that stem from Ancient Greece and feature such heroes as Hercules, Odysseus, Achilles, Dante, Luke Skywalker, etc. (last one is not a joke, George Lucas did the same). Master Chief, from his Mjolnir armor to his name “117” to his famous “luck” is a demigod of sorts that borrows references and traits of mythologies and theologies from various cultures and times, namely Greek & Norse, and is coated heavily is Biblical references.

There was a brilliant writer and lecturer by the name of Joseph Campbell who taught about mythology, religion, psychology, etc., and you can get an idea of what he was all about HERE. It’s worth checking out. I saw a lecture he gave on Star Wars (not in person, he died when I was 2 yrs old in 1987, but a professor of mine who was there had filmed the lecture and showed it to his students) and the parallels Star Wars shares with the classic Hero’s Journey stories and it’s mythology and why that story structure is still so strong today.

I’m still sticking with my theory that Chief, Locke, the Didact and the flood are the horsemen.

> “Apocalypse”; here is the Etymology of the word:
>
> apo: “off”, “away”, “from”
>
> calypse: “cover”
>
>
> It literally means to uncover, unveil, reveal, etc. Not necessarily the end of the world. So, at E3 2014, there was a great apocalypse by 343i in the form of “The Master Chief Collection”. Sounds weird right?
>
> It was originally an Ancient Greek word meaning just that, but was later adopted by early Christians to mean “the complete and final destruction of the world”.
>
> The change in meaning is similar to the word “decimate”, only far more drastic. It comes from the Latin “decimat”: or “taken as a tenth” (get it, “dec”?) and used by the Roman Empire when referring to the practice of killing one out of every ten members of a mutinous legion. So if you hear someone say that something has been completely decimated, the literal meaning is that 90% of it remains unscathed. But today, it pretty much means the opposite; we would consider “decimate” to mean something like “only 10% survived”.
>
> So, instead having Halo 5 end in an apocalypse as most people understand it (Halo rings firing) then we stare at a blank screen for 12 hours in Halo 6, how about the “unveiling” is Chief’s face, and we get to stare at it for 12 hours in Halo 6?
>
> Or maybe we’re putting too much thought into it.

The word apocalypse is not similar to the word sinister as well

The modern use basically has it meaning evil while the original latin version means left-handed XD

> > “Apocalypse”; here is the Etymology of the word:
> >
> > apo: “off”, “away”, “from”
> >
> > calypse: “cover”
> >
> >
> > It literally means to uncover, unveil, reveal, etc. Not necessarily the end of the world. So, at E3 2014, there was a great apocalypse by 343i in the form of “The Master Chief Collection”. Sounds weird right?
> >
> > It was originally an Ancient Greek word meaning just that, but was later adopted by early Christians to mean “the complete and final destruction of the world”.
> >
> > The change in meaning is similar to the word “decimate”, only far more drastic. It comes from the Latin “decimat”: or “taken as a tenth” (get it, “dec”?) and used by the Roman Empire when referring to the practice of killing one out of every ten members of a mutinous legion. So if you hear someone say that something has been completely decimated, the literal meaning is that 90% of it remains unscathed. But today, it pretty much means the opposite; we would consider “decimate” to mean something like “only 10% survived”.
> >
> > So, instead having Halo 5 end in an apocalypse as most people understand it (Halo rings firing) then we stare at a blank screen for 12 hours in Halo 6, how about the “unveiling” is Chief’s face, and we get to stare at it for 12 hours in Halo 6?
> >
> > Or maybe we’re putting too much thought into it.
>
> The word apocalypse is not similar to the word sinister as well
>
> The modern use basically has it meaning evil while the original latin version means left-handed XD

How did you know I’m left-handed!?!? Dark magic indeed! I play guitar right-handed though, so I’m not all that bad.

The Romans were weird about all that. Getting up on the right side of the bed didn’t mean the correct side (as the saying “she got up on the wrong side of the bed” implies), it meant getting up on the side your right arm faced while laying on your back. The wrong side is the left side. And wealthy Romans used to hire people to watch guest come into the house and make sure no one crossed the threshold using their left foot.

For those wondering how the Forerunner come into it:

The Forerunner would be representative of the ‘council’ - a group of higher beings oversee the happenings in the three kingdoms, and ensure that the seven seals are broken only when the time is right (makes sense as they built the Halo rings and are, technically, the ones who control them). The council is also responsible for controlling the four horsemen, which would make sense if Chief is, as some believe, representative of Death. The Librarian said herself that she has guided Chief’s journey.