Halo for Mac

Can anyone give me information about the status of Halo: Combat Evolved for Mac, or is this forum only for discussing versions of Halo which run on Microsoft hardware and software?

There is a mac version of Halo, and if I remember right, it’s the same disc as the Halo PC version, but that is only Halo CE, Halo 2 only runs on PCs with Windows Vista or higher.

There is a Mac version, however if you’re talking about Halo Anniversary there isn’t a Mac version and the chances of there being one at this point are pretty slim to none.

Sorry D:

Halo CE for Mac is available on Amazon if your’e interested. Hope it helps. :slight_smile:

As noted above, you can pick up Halo CE for Mac off Amazon. However, if you’re running Mac OS X, you could install and run Windows through either bootcamp, VMWare Fusion, or Parallels and run any sort of Windows games and programs through that, meaning you could play Halo 2 Vista as well.

I think it’s great that you folks are willing to talk about Halo for Mac.

It seems like conversations about modding the game are not allowed on this forum, though, is that right? I’m just trying to get my bearings about what kinds of things I can talk about on this forum without having my posts deleted or neutered by a moderator.

I’m the owner of a web site you will find if you google the search term “Halo Demo Mods”. I go by Sparky in the Mac Gaming Mods community and by United Nations Space Command on HDM. I’ve become somewhat renowned in the Halo for Mac modding communities, specifically for modding the demo version for Mac.

I visited here because I spoke with a representative at MacSoft about the status of Halo for Mac. It seems that they are having issues getting in touch with Microsoft (343 Industries) about the renewal of their license for Halo for Mac. You see, the last time anything was officially done with Halo for Mac was back in 2007. It’s now 2012. That’s 5 years of “radio silence” about this game. And with Mac OS 10.7 dropping support for PowerPC applications which were previously supported through Rosetta, the Universal Binary for Halo Full (the commercial version) which was developed and published by MacSoft in 2007 is the only application that will run on an up-to-date Mac anymore. This Universal Binary version needs additional testing and development, but the game can no longer even be purchased from MacSoft, because Microsoft will not renew MacSoft’s license for the game. So I came here hoping to get in touch with Microsoft about the renewal of the Halo license for MacSoft and provide some insight into the very dedicated supporters of this game and its survival. Every time I load up the Halo Demo version, I meet new players online, despite the dwindling numbers of players due to the problem I mentioned. I want 343 Industries and Microsoft to understand that all these new players are potential $$$ for the Halo franchise. I believe it is complete ignorance my gaming friends are facing, and I want to encourage 343 Industries to continue to work with MacSoft – who is best contacted by phone, by the way – so that all our brilliant concepts for this game will come to market. We at MGM and HDM really believe this Halo: Combat Evolved game engine is a work of art. That is why we have enjoyed working with it through modifications, even more than Halo Custom Edition players enjoy creating content for their port of the game.

To whom it may concern, please renew MacSoft’s license of Halo: Combat Evolved!

> It seems like conversations about modding the game are not allowed on this forum, though, is that right? I’m just trying to get my bearings about what kinds of things I can talk about on this forum without having my posts deleted or neutered by a moderator.

Content modification of Halo CE is permitted in the Halo CE forum only.

There is a Mac version

The only place you can get the Mac version legitly is Amazon or eBay.

> > It seems like conversations about modding the game are not allowed on this forum, though, is that right? I’m just trying to get my bearings about what kinds of things I can talk about on this forum without having my posts deleted or neutered by a moderator.
>
> Content modification of Halo CE is permitted in the Halo CE forum only.

Among the Halo communities in which I participate:

“Halo” = the Halo games in general
“Halo Demo” = the Halo 1 Combat Evolved version’s demo for Mac
“Halo Trial” = the Halo 1 Combat Evolved version’s demo for PC
“Halo Full” = the Halo 1 Combat Evolved version for Mac
“Halo PC” = the Halo 1 Combat Evolved version for PC
“Halo CE” = the Halo 1 Custom Edition version for PC
“Halo 2 Vista” = the Halo 2 version for PC

In those communities, several of us modify content for any version of Halo that we can, often using a variety of different tools made by a variety of different people who participate in a variety of different Halo communities. So we tend to shorten “Halo: Combat Evolved” to simply “Halo”, and to reserve “Halo CE” for “Halo Custom Edition” for PC. That’s how we avoid confusion between all the different versions of the game.

There is still an emphasis in these communities on Mac versions and also on Demo versions. That’s because the communities are named MacGamingMods and HaloDemoMods, whereas other popular communities are only named HaloMods or HaloMaps and are as such not specific to any particular platform or version of the game. But like I said, several of us at MGM and HDM are interested in modifying every version of the game, and it is from this where my concepts of unification of our Halo gaming and modding communities derive.