Halo: First Person Details

Ok, you know how in Halo, you can see your legs and all. Well, a while ago, I found out that everything you see in first person, well, isn’t really there. What you see in first person is different than how you actually appear.

Details and Proof

1. The Body

Ok, first, we’ll start with the actual body.

a. If you crouch and aim down and then keep on holding to aim left, you’ll notice that you cannot see your utility if you have any.
b. If you melee with a weapon that makes you stretch out your arm, you’ll notice that you cannot see your shoulders, instead, you’ll just see the default.
c.If you aren’t holding any weapon, you can’t see your hands.
d. If you do Armor Lock Glitch in forge, you’ll also notice that you won’t see the AL shield around you in first person.

2. Viewpoint

Your viewpoint is actually above your spartan, not from his helmet.

Proof:

a. If you spawn and not aim up or down and you use a hologram and go next to it, you’ll notice that even though both of you are looking horizontally, your gun in first person will be above his gun. You’ll also notice that his helmet will be near the bottom of your screen, not in the middle.

b. If you ever paid any attention to anyone using a weapon (easiest to tell at side view) such as the Assault Rifle, Needle Rifle, or Sniper, you’ll notice that the shots do not come out from the barrel of the gun. In fact, they come out from above the gun.

3. The Gun

Now, I’ll talk about the actual gun that you see in first person.

a. Reload:

First, in first person, you’ll see yourself actually putting in ammo. In third person, the Spartan is actually just making hand movements, but there’s no actual mag.

Second, in first person, your reload differs on whether you have a partially empty clip, or a completely empty clip. In third person, the reload is always the same whether your clip is partially or completely empty.

Third, for some weapons, the first person reload is completely different than the third person reload. Let’s take the Grenade Launcher: In first person, you’d see yourself flip open the grenade launcher and putting in another. In third person, the grenade launcher doesn’t flip open and your Spartan just makes hand movements with no actual grenade.

b. Holding a Weapon: Some weapons are held differently in First Person than in Third person.

Ex: The most obvious one is the bomb, in First Person, you hold it with both hands. In Third Person you only hold it with one.

Ex: The sword is also another example. In First Person, you hold the sword almost completely vertically. In third person, you hold the sword horizontally.

Ex: RocketLauncher: When you shoot with the RL in first person, you see the barrel rotate. In third person, the barrel does not rotate.

4. Melee

a. There is infact a little lag when it comes to melee. After you see yourself melee in First Person, your actual Spartan in third person will melee a second after. This is why people sometime’s melee you when they aren’t completely facing you.

This is all I remember for now, if you have anything else, post it.

I would like it if they actually added all the good details into Halo 4.

Oh and…

Inb4chinacalledtheywanttheirwallback

Inb4OPpaystoomuchattentiontogame

Inb4OPneedstogooutside

Inb4tldr

Inb4OPcantinb4

Discuss

P.S. I didn’t actually look for these details. I found most of these out when I was messing around in theater and I also found them from just playing normally.

I like Halo for it being a one of a kind. If what we see is actually our Spartan then this will give the game a more realistic feeling in first person perspective. This will advance it even more away from other games. I’m glad I can see my legs (unlike some games…), but I want to see what’s actually there.

Thats some Intresting Stuff Dude!

343 might note this :slight_smile:

I’ve noticed this since player awareness was introduced in Halo 2. While it would be awesome to have 1st and 3rd person animations and models match up, I’d prefer the current awareness over nothing (Call of Duty doesn’t even have player awareness, which I see as really bad in this gen of games).

And speaking of the sword and bomb animations, they looked cooler in Halo 3 where they actually matched the 1st person more closely. Now they just run like a football player.

EDIT: I would also like to see the larger scaled battles a la Battlefield, but keep it at that, and restrict it to a new playlist for those who want this. I could picture moving across massive landscapes in Warthogs with Longswords soaring overhead. But keep Halo what it is.

> I’ve noticed this since player awareness was introduced in Halo 2. While it would be awesome to have 1st and 3rd person animations and models match up, I’d prefer the current awareness over nothing (Call of Duty doesn’t even have player awareness, which I see as really bad in this gen of games).
>
> And speaking of the sword and bomb animations, they looked cooler in Halo 3 where they actually matched the 1st person more closely. Now they just run like a football player.
>
> EDIT: I would also like to see the larger scaled battles a la Battlefield, but keep it at that, and restrict it to a new playlist for those who want this. I could picture moving across massive landscapes in Warthogs with Longswords soaring overhead. But keep Halo what it is.

only prob with a map like that- halo 3s sandtrap or valhalla were annoying to walk across to find some action or some of the BC 2 maps even, there would have to be some serious spawn choices or a respawn option that counts as a death to get to the action or plenty of mongooses(mongeese? someone needs to make an official name for that) or hogs or even tanks? but it would be amazing!

I’ll tell you what’s annoyed me since Halo 2. When you drop an Energy Sword on the ground it is still activated, which is fine. But when you pick it up the Spartan/Elite activates it again as if you only picked up the handle. It makes sence when you have the energy sword on you as a secondary weapon and you activate it, but when you pick it up off of the floor you activate it for no reason.

That’s just basic game development. The model you see in 1st person is entirely different from 3rd. Camera height is something that is adjusted for balance. If you take the camera too low, doors look exponentially higher, and you feel like you are travelling much faster.

> That’s just basic game development. The model you see in 1st person is entirely different from 3rd. Camera height is something that is adjusted for balance. If you take the camera too low, doors look exponentially higher, and you feel like you are travelling much faster.

Thing is, I don’t feel like I’m in first person. I’d rather see myself rather than some fake model. A little height adjusment 2 inches won’t make me feel like I’m moving much faster. If I get stuck in the face, I wanna see that ball in my face, not just the energy comming from below. It’s a lot easier to tell where you got hit and where the shooter is if your camera was actually in the Spartans visor. I’d rather play and see the game from the eyes of my spartan. What’s the point of seeing your legs? It’s to make you feel like you’re actually in first person. But I lose that feeling whenever I don’t see the armor that I have on my arm or leg (utility). Plus, the heightened camera helps snipers get cheap kills. They can hide behind a hill in which their helmet and sniper cannot be shown’ but they can still see and shoot due to the fact that they have a heightened camera and that the shots come from above the sniper, not from the barrel. This is unfair for others. Plus, if the melee times were the same, you could actually tell if someone can melee you when facing you rather than have them melee when their gun is actually perpendicular to yours.

> > That’s just basic game development. The model you see in 1st person is entirely different from 3rd. Camera height is something that is adjusted for balance. If you take the camera too low, doors look exponentially higher, and you feel like you are travelling much faster.
>
> Thing is, I don’t feel like I’m in first person. I’d rather see myself rather than some fake model. A little height adjusment 2 inches won’t make me feel like I’m moving much faster. If I get stuck in the face, I wanna see that ball in my face, not just the energy comming from below. It’s a lot easier to tell where you got hit and where the shooter is if your camera was actually in the Spartans visor. I’d rather play and see the game from the eyes of my spartan. What’s the point of seeing your legs? It’s to make you feel like you’re actually in first person. But I lose that feeling whenever I don’t see the armor that I have on my arm or leg (utility). Plus, the heightened camera helps snipers get cheap kills. They can hide behind a hill in which their helmet and sniper cannot be shown’ but they can still see and shoot due to the fact that they have a heightened camera and that the shots come from above the sniper, not from the barrel. This is unfair for others. Plus, if the melee times were the same, you could actually tell if someone can melee you when facing you rather than have them melee when their gun is actually perpendicular to yours.

You’d be surprised how drastically moving the camera changes the game experience, probably for the worst.

All in all though, trust Sage, he’s beard holds all the intelligence in the world, doubled. He knows what he is doing =)