Halo fiction that hasn't been explored

Are there any parts of Halo fiction that haven’t been explored that can be in a short story?

Edit 1: Guys, I can’t thank you enough for these great ideas. Amongst all the threads normally seen on Waypoint day to day, like how Halo 5 needs this/doesnt need this/343i you’re doing it wrong…etc, I appreciate how you brought intelligent ideas and friendly conversation to my thread. Thanks! While I believe I have read most of your responses, I feel inclined to write something taking place in the UNSC-Insurrectionist civil war. If I really feel inspired, I’ll give it a ago while I work on my Lara Croft: Tomb Raider story that’s over 4,000 words in. While the topic of the Flood and its relationship to the Precursours is incredibly fascinating fiction, along with Cortana’s current state and what the surviving Forerunners (if there are) are up to, I feel I wouldn’t do those parts of the fiction justice with my current understanding of the lore, or even my writing style. The Innie-UNSC civil war seems easiest.

Edit 2: I believe I want to tackle the Innsurrectionist-UNSC Civil War period. When I come up with a plot/story idea, I might post it.

In my opinion there are plenty. So many planets that were glassed that haven’t been covered, how the UNSC came out with some of their warship designs, the Yonhet, other Sangheli colonies, how the Covenant Civil War effects the Hunter home world now, those are the few I can think of.

As far as short story goes idk. I’d like everything to be a novel honestly when it comes to unexplored areas. But, recently the most interesting unexplored concept in the Halo story is how Cortana specifically arrived at Genesis, met the Warden Eternal, found the Domain, etc. like, what was she doing in between July 2557 and October 2558? Other areas that are HUGELY unexplored are specific historical, technical, and scientific details that occurred in Human History during the 21st-25th centuries. Granted yes, we have important details during these times, but overall the centuries aren’t very elaborated upon. Like what technology did the UN and UNSC use during the wars of the 2080’s, 2090’s, and the 2160’s? Also, other areas would include Ancient Humanity’s culture and history, and one of the biggest mysteries of all is who in the world crash landed on Installation 04 in 40,000 BCE?

Sincerely,
p1ay4OURFUN

> 2533274812438213;2:
> In my opinion there are plenty. So many planets that were glassed that haven’t been covered, how the UNSC came out with some of their warship designs, the Yonhet, other Sangheli colonies, how the Covenant Civil War effects the Hunter home world now, those are the few I can think of.

Those are good ideas.

> 2533274919463107;3:
> As far as short story goes idk. I’d like everything to be a novel honestly when it comes to unexplored areas. But, recently the most interesting unexplored concept in the Halo story is how Cortana specifically arrived at Genesis, met the Warden Eternal, found the Domain, etc. like, what was she doing between July 2557 and October 2558? Other areas that are HUGELY unexplored are specific historical, technical, and scientific details that occurred in Human History during the 21st-25th centuries. Granted yes, we have important details during these times, but overall the centuries aren’t very elaborated upon. Like what technology did the UN and UNSC use during the wars of the 2080’s, 2090’s, and the 2160’s? Also, other areas would include Ancient Humanity’s culture and history, and one of the biggest mysteries of all is who in the world crash landed on Installation 04 in 40,000 BCE?
>
> Sincerely,
> p1ay4OURFUN

The Cortana idea is extremely interesting. As well as the mysterious ship on Installation 04. I feel like how Cortana did what she did in between Halo 4 & 5 is good for a novel when combined with other plot threads, but how she met the Warden, and an understanding of his purpose, would be a great short story.

There are several points full of mystery in the Halo Universe, but the biggest one is “Who is the Primordial? He is a Gravemind or a Precursor?”

> 2533274972631064;6:
> There are several points full of mystery in the Halo Universe, but the biggest one is “Who is the Primordial? He is a Gravemind or a Precursor?”

That’s talked about in the Forerunner Trilogy, isn’t it? If not, then thats a question good for a future game, not really a short story. If Cortana is being controlled by the Primordial in Halo 5, then revealing it with some narration in the next Halo would solve that.

This is a little bit of a far reaching idea but I’d like to see Halo do a political thriller type story. We don’t have to much information about the UEG and I think there is some definite potential there. Maybe something akin to House of Cards, were we follow the story of one specific politician and how they effect the government. Maybe even some type of power struggle between UEG proper and ONI.

The Cortana one would be good. Something about the Brutes after the Great Schism.

A perspective on the Great Schism from the Jiralhanae. So far we’ve had two novels on a San’Shyuum’s POV, and almost everything else on the Sangheili. Yet the only thing that even hints towards something on the Brute’s POV of the Great Schsim is a crappy comic series that didn’t lead to anywhere. Sure, we also had Castor, but that POV hadn’t mentioned anything on the Schism.

Another one would be a Covenant-POV in the post war period, as in, one POV from Jul’s Faction, showing us the moral ambuiguity of the Bloodying Years from the POV a that’s not SoS. This would show that the Bloodying Years wasn’t a fight between the good guys and religious nut jobs (like how the post-War Covenant has been mostly portrayed), but it was a morally complicated one. Show that no side was some fixed good/bad guy but each had its complications, it’s own motivations and goals, show us the reason why people joined Jul’s Covenant. Show us why people were willing to side with the SOS. This also applies to the above as well.

How the Gravemind was formed in Halo 2. And how he had been fighting the installation’s defenses for so long. What happened to all the installations monitors.

> 2533274805386380;7:
> > 2533274972631064;6:
> > There are several points full of mystery in the Halo Universe, but the biggest one is “Who is the Primordial? He is a Gravemind or a Precursor?”
>
>
> That’s talked about in the Forerunner Trilogy, isn’t it? If not, then thats a question good for a future game, not really a short story. If Cortana is being controlled by the Primordial in Halo 5, then revealing it with some narration in the next Halo would solve that…

The Primordial was the “Last Precursor.” And by that I mean it was the last tangible and living Precursor that remembers the Forerunner’s uprising and extermination of its kind. It also served as the personality blueprint for all Graveminds and presumably Keyminds, further more the entirety of the Flood during the Forerunner-Flood War. People get confused as to what exactly it is, whether it’s a Precursor or Gravemind, and it’s the former. However, due to its shape shifting properties, as Precursors were able to change form at will into anything they so desire, it took on the appearance and slight biology of the Flood, mainly a Gravemind esque appearance, however with original and imposing parts such as its unique head. And due to the Flood’s biological connections to the Precursor’s, the Primordial was able to connect to the Flood’s consciousness and lead it for a time, after its incident with Mendicant Bias. It was able to accomplish this feat through Neural physics and communicating with the Flood on Installation 07. When it died by the hands of the IsoDidact, the Flood took on its Personality, memories, and motives, thus the Primordial lives on in the Flood. Which is why each Gravemind acts like it and remembers everything it remembered. I hope this clarifies!

Sincerely,
p1ay4OURFUN

> 2533274919463107;12:
> > 2533274805386380;7:
> > > 2533274972631064;6:
> > > There are several points full of mystery in the Halo Universe, but the biggest one is “Who is the Primordial? He is a Gravemind or a Precursor?”
> >
> >
> > That’s talked about in the Forerunner Trilogy, isn’t it? If not, then thats a question good for a future game, not really a short story. If Cortana is being controlled by the Primordial in Halo 5, then revealing it with some narration in the next Halo would solve that…
>
>
> The Primordial was the “Last Precursor.” And by that I mean it was the last tangible and living Precursor that remembers the Forerunner’s uprising and extermination of its kind. It also served as the personality blueprint for all Graveminds and presumably Keyminds, further more the entirety of the Flood during the Forerunner-Flood War. People get confused as to what exactly it is, whether it’s a Precursor or Gravemind, and it’s the former. However, due to its shape shifting properties, as Precursors were able to change form at will into anything they so desire, it took on the appearance and slight biology of the Flood, mainly a Gravemind esque appearance, however with original and imposing parts such as its unique head. And due to the Flood’s biological connections to the Precursor’s, the Primordial was able to connect to the Flood’s consciousness and lead it for a time, after its incident with Mendicant Bias. It was able to accomplish this feat through Neural physics and communicating with the Flood on Installation 07. When it died by the hands of the IsoDidact, the Flood took on its Personality, memories, and motives, thus the Primordial lives on in the Flood. Which is why each Gravemind acts like it and remembers everything it remembered. I hope this clarifies!
>
> Sincerely,
> p1ay4OURFUN

That does. :slight_smile:

> 2533274830587831;11:
> How the Gravemind was formed in Halo 2. And how he had been fighting the installation’s defenses for so long. What happened to all the installations monitors.

The Gravemind was formed loooonngg before Halo 2.

> 2533274926227685;10:
> A perspective on the Great Schism from the Jiralhanae. So far we’ve had two novels on a San’Shyuum’s POV, and almost everything else on the Sangheili. Yet the only thing that even hints towards something on the Brute’s POV of the Great Schsim is a crappy comic series that didn’t lead to anywhere. Sure, we also had Castor, but that POV hadn’t mentioned anything on the Schism.
>
> Another one would be a Covenant-POV in the post war period, as in, one POV from Jul’s Faction, showing us the moral ambuiguity of the Bloodying Years from the POV a that’s not SoS. This would show that the Bloodying Years wasn’t a fight between the good guys and religious nut jobs (like how the post-War Covenant has been mostly portrayed), but it was a morally complicated one. Show that no side was some fixed good/bad guy but each had its complications, it’s own motivations and goals, show us the reason why people joined Jul’s Covenant. Show us why people were willing to side with the SOS. This also applies to the above as well.

That is a good idea, but I feel like I don’t understand much of the Jiralhanae’s culture to write a story about them.

> 2533274805386380;13:
> > 2533274919463107;12:
> > > 2533274805386380;7:
> > > > 2533274972631064;6:
> > > > There are several points full of mystery in the Halo Universe, but the biggest one is “Who is the Primordial? He is a Gravemind or a Precursor?”
> > >
> > >
> > > That’s talked about in the Forerunner Trilogy, isn’t it? If not, then thats a question good for a future game, not really a short story. If Cortana is being controlled by the Primordial in Halo 5, then revealing it with some narration in the next Halo would solve that…
> >
> >
> > The Primordial was the “Last Precursor.” And by that I mean it was the last tangible and living Precursor that remembers the Forerunner’s uprising and extermination of its kind. It also served as the personality blueprint for all Graveminds and presumably Keyminds, further more the entirety of the Flood during the Forerunner-Flood War. People get confused as to what exactly it is, whether it’s a Precursor or Gravemind, and it’s the former. However, due to its shape shifting properties, as Precursors were able to change form at will into anything they so desire, it took on the appearance and slight biology of the Flood, mainly a Gravemind esque appearance, however with original and imposing parts such as its unique head. And due to the Flood’s biological connections to the Precursor’s, the Primordial was able to connect to the Flood’s consciousness and lead it for a time, after its incident with Mendicant Bias. It was able to accomplish this feat through Neural physics and communicating with the Flood on Installation 07. When it died by the hands of the IsoDidact, the Flood took on its Personality, memories, and motives, thus the Primordial lives on in the Flood. Which is why each Gravemind acts like it and remembers everything it remembered. I hope this clarifies!
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > p1ay4OURFUN
>
>
> That does. :slight_smile:

Mmh ok, not sure about that. However, what about the Flood? Did it form from Precursors’ dust, and it was a failure of their coming back, or did Precursors create it as a test?

> 2533274972631064;16:
> > 2533274805386380;13:
> > > 2533274919463107;12:
> > > > 2533274805386380;7:
> > > > > 2533274972631064;6:
> > > > > There are several points full of mystery in the Halo Universe, but the biggest one is “Who is the Primordial? He is a Gravemind or a Precursor?”
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > That’s talked about in the Forerunner Trilogy, isn’t it? If not, then thats a question good for a future game, not really a short story. If Cortana is being controlled by the Primordial in Halo 5, then revealing it with some narration in the next Halo would solve that…
>
>
> Mmh ok, not sure about that. However, what about the Flood? Did it form from Precursors’ dust, and it was a failure of their coming back, or did Precursors create it as a test?

The former. When the Precursor’s exiled themselves from the galaxy at the end of the Forerunner-Precursor war, the remaining Precursors dismantled themselves into biological dust, and put themselves on a starship full of canisters of themselves (the dust). Their plan was that they’d reshape themselves back into what they were a millennia or so later to see what the state of the Galaxy was at that time, and whenever the time seemed fit, they’d attempt to take back what was rightfully theirs (from their perspective), since they felt betrayed by their own creations and decided to hold the Mantle to themselves rather than let anyone have it.

However, over time, the dust degraded, perhaps due to natural causes, or the Precursor’s themselves modifying themselves to become even more dangerous. Either way, the dust became stale and dormant. Then, at around 107,445 BCE, Ancient Humanity stumbled upon this starship and discovered the dust within stored in all the canisters. Not knowing what it was, and curious too, they took it back to Charuum Hakkor to study it’s features. They discovered it was biological, and presumably harmless.

To see its biological affects, they injected the dust into their pets, the Pheru, and found positive results, such as more beauty and positive behavior. But, over time, say a few centuries, the Pheru begin to show external mutations and cannibalism. Then growths appear on the Pheru, and so on. Thus the Flood was born. The “disease” carried over to Humanity and their San 'Shyuum allies and waged war across their alliance. All of this is explained in the Forerunner Saga.

I’d prefer to go back to the more gritty sci-fi roots (and away from this stupid space fantasy nonsense 343 has turned the franchise into) and explore the Insurrection more, both in game fashion and in a dedicated book that carries the themes and feel from Contact Harvest and has absolutely no Covenant or Forerunner influence on any of it.

I want to see the gritty colonial war.

> 2533274838418174;18:
> I’d prefer to go back to the more gritty sci-fi roots (and away from this stupid space fantasy nonsense 343 has turned the franchise into) and explore the Insurrection more, both in game fashion and in a dedicated book that carries the themes and feel from Contact Harvest and has absolutely no Covenant or Forerunner influence on any of it.
>
> I want to see the gritty colonial war.

I am interested in that as well, but 343 has most definitely not turned the franchise into a space fantasy. Halo has always been, and always will be, a science fiction universe. I am pretty sure you dont know what you are talking about when you say that.

> 2533274805386380;13:
> > 2533274919463107;12:
> > > 2533274805386380;7:
> > > > 2533274972631064;6:
> > > > There are several points full of mystery in the Halo Universe, but the biggest one is “Who is the Primordial? He is a Gravemind or a Precursor?”
> > >
> > >
> > > That’s talked about in the Forerunner Trilogy, isn’t it? If not, then thats a question good for a future game, not really a short story. If Cortana is being controlled by the Primordial in Halo 5, then revealing it with some narration in the next Halo would solve that…
> >
> >
> > The Primordial was the “Last Precursor.” And by that I mean it was the last tangible and living Precursor that remembers the Forerunner’s uprising and extermination of its kind. It also served as the personality blueprint for all Graveminds and presumably Keyminds, further more the entirety of the Flood during the Forerunner-Flood War. People get confused as to what exactly it is, whether it’s a Precursor or Gravemind, and it’s the former. However, due to its shape shifting properties, as Precursors were able to change form at will into anything they so desire, it took on the appearance and slight biology of the Flood, mainly a Gravemind esque appearance, however with original and imposing parts such as its unique head. And due to the Flood’s biological connections to the Precursor’s, the Primordial was able to connect to the Flood’s consciousness and lead it for a time, after its incident with Mendicant Bias. It was able to accomplish this feat through Neural physics and communicating with the Flood on Installation 07. When it died by the hands of the IsoDidact, the Flood took on its Personality, memories, and motives, thus the Primordial lives on in the Flood. Which is why each Gravemind acts like it and remembers everything it remembered. I hope this clarifies!
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > p1ay4OURFUN
>
>
> That does. :slight_smile:

Hold on, I disagree. I think it wasn’t exactly either. It’s heavily implied that the Primordial was a biological construct with a Precursor consciousness. This is because the Ur-Didact’s children say “If what the Old Ones made is loose…!” and Forthencho, when be spoke to the Primordial on Charum Hakkor, said that it was a mash-up of at least twelve victims.