Halo Creators Club (.map maker)

Ok well I was brain storming on neoGAF and finally came up with this pretty rock solid idea.

Things to consider:

Is what is being suggested actually possible?
-Yes it is more than possible, the same system could be used in Halo 3 as well.

Will it cost?
-All it will cost you is a Bungie Pro membership.

What is the idea?
-Well the basic idea is to give the community the chance to make .map files for Halo: Reach and even Halo 3.

What is a .map file and how is it different than a Forge map?
-A .map file is a new map entirely where as Forge is a simple object editor.

How will I access these maps?
-An app will be made available to Bungie Pro Members to access on the dashboard or Halowaypoint.
Will the maps cost me anything?
-Nope. All maps will be free as long as you are a member of Bungie Pro.

What if I want to make maps, how will I do that?
-Tools would be provided on special Halo websites to make the maps on your Computer.
Why can’t I make them on Halo: Reach?
-Sadly Halo: reach was not built with a .map editor so this would be impossible.

What about game types? I heard Bungie has a special set of tools for those.
-Yes they do and those tools will also be made available to the community.
Are there any rules to making maps?
-Yes there are, they are mostly the basic set of rules for most services.

What if a map slips threw those rules?
-File a report and the offending map will be taken care of.

How much will all of this cost again?
-The price of a Bungie Pro membership.

So what do you guys think? Good idea or bad?

I like the idea in principle.

It flies in the face of practicality though. You are suggesting 343i allocate resources for a game that will be three generations old when their own new game comes out. Even Bungie hasn’t allocated the negligible resources required to include the successful ATLAS maps into the current Halo 3 playlists. They never promised it but Shishka strongly suggested it might happen just before REACH was released. It’s been 6 months and I see no sign of it yet.

I can’t see this happening, though I might be interested in it. Even with my interest I doubt I’d use my time in Halo 3 over Halo REACH. Certainly would have been a better idea to push 2-3 years ago.

I believe that we fans underestimate the resources it takes to implement some of our great ideas.

> I like the idea in principle.
>
> It flies in the face of practicality though. You are suggesting 343i allocate resources for a game that will be three generations old when their own new game comes out. Even Bungie hasn’t allocated the negligible resources required to include the successful ATLAS maps into the current Halo 3 playlists. They never promised it but Shishka strongly suggested it might happen just before REACH was released. It’s been 6 months and I see no sign of it yet.
>
> I can’t see this happening, though I might be interested in it. Even with my interest I doubt I’d use my time in Halo 3 over Halo REACH. Certainly would have been a better idea to push 2-3 years ago.
>
> I believe that we fans underestimate the resources it takes to implement some of our great ideas.

Oh im not saying it doesnt take resources but why not get another company to work on this. I mean the thing about this idea is that it COULD happen. I dont think 343 would spend much of their own resources on it but I do think they would hire another team to work on the tools.

> Oh im not saying it take resources but why not get another company to work on this. I mean the thing about this idea is that it COULD happen. I dont think 343 would spend much of their own resources on it but I do think they would hire another team to work on the tools.

You are suggesting 343i encourage additional fracturing of the online population of current and future Halo titles in favour of an older game that likely won’t bring in much money. I know I wouldn’t do it.

I like your idea but the time to make it work is when the game is the latest edition. That is when the maximum resources for supporting a game are on the table. Bungie is up to its eyeballs trying to support Community maps for REACH. Even that is done with volunteer help from well known community members. No way is any additional support going to be thrown towards an older game. That’s my opinion anyway.

> > Oh im not saying it take resources but why not get another company to work on this. I mean the thing about this idea is that it COULD happen. I dont think 343 would spend much of their own resources on it but I do think they would hire another team to work on the tools.
>
> You are suggesting 343i encourage additional fracturing of the online population of current and future Halo titles in favour of an older game that likely won’t bring in much money. I know I wouldn’t do it.
>
> I like your idea but the time to make it work is when the game is the latest edition. That is when the maximum resources for supporting a game are on the table. Bungie is up to its eyeballs trying to support Community maps for REACH. Even that is done with volunteer help from well known community members. No way is any additional support going to be thrown towards an older game. That’s my opinion anyway.

Well I mean this wouldnt be just used on Halo 3 and Reach, it would be used on all future Halo games.

> Well I mean this wouldnt be just used on Halo 3 and Reach, it would be used on all future Halo games.

What you are suggesting would fracture the online component of the most current Halo game. That is your most important resource to support your next title release. No way would I do that.

Here is an old saying that should be considered in any discussion on older Halo games.

“Don’t let yesterday use up too much of today.”

I am an older guy and I have learned not to waste too much time on the past. Move on to the next new thing and throw your support into it and improving the the game that comes after that.

> _________________________________________________________________
>
> So what do you guys think? Good idea or bad?

Great Idea, I dont see this happening unless Microsoft changes the way the future Halo games are designed though.

Power to the People!

I have always loved the idea of an external map maker for Halo games. I wish they had considered packaging something like this with Reach, but it seems as if this type of thing isn’t going to happen.

I, personally, love the idea. Any addition to Forge in any way on any level is a win in my book.

I would happily pay a monthly subscription or initial purchase fee to get access to something like this. As long as the product was guaranteed to update with new features every so often.