Halo cover system?

In the beta trailer it showed a blu spartan sliding and sticking to a wall. Was the cover animation just fo show? Or is this a new spartan ability?

I think it would probably slow everything down like Gears. What do you guys think? Maybe first person cover system? O.o

Sorry if this has been discussed already.

it would be an odd change for a Halo game to have a cover system like that, so i’m just gonna assume that it was part of the trailer. You can’t expect everything in trailers to portray what the game will be like exactly, they’re just meant to create hype and curiosity.

This is true

He crouched and thrusted forward. That’s all. There just happened to be a piece of crouch height cover at the end of his thrust. No auto snapping to walls or anything like that.

Keep in mind, trailers are not full representation of the actual game. We don’t know if the game will have a cover system or not.

imo, they probably won’t have one.

I hope they dont have a cover system, hopefully it was just the cinematic

It seems more likely that if you crouch while sprinting you will slide instead of halting all forward motion, just speculation but it seems like thats what they were going for

I’d prefer no actual cover system, but instead character models that are more animated in certain circumstances. It would add a level of realism to the gameplay without altering game mechanics.

I’d like to think the hardware and development is at the point where not all crouches, runs, jumps, etc. must look the same.

Know how when your Spartan stands still for a long time, you see your model fidget with his gun? That kind of thing, but visible to all, and applied to a variety of actions.

The important thing with my idea though is that it cannot in any way alter how you play the game or how your character responds.

I’m hoping that was just something they had in the trailer and not an actual cover system. I don’t think Halo needs cover, it would just slow things down. Six more months until we find out for sure.

It was a CGI trailer, no actual gameplay. I’d take anything you saw with a pinch of salt at this point until any actual gameplay is shown.

The trailer probably wasn’t an accurate representation of what the actual gameplay will be.

But let’s assume a cover system is implemented anyway. Could it work in the next main Halo game? That’s a possibility, considering Guardians is still 17 months away. But I’d argue that a cover system in a game with Halo’s mechanics would be very difficult to get used to.

> The trailer probably wasn’t an accurate representation of what the actual gameplay will be.
>
> But let’s assume a cover system is implemented anyway. Could it work in the next main Halo game? That’s a possibility, considering Guardians is still 17 months away. But I’d argue that a cover system in a game with Halo’s mechanics would be very difficult to get used to.

I think Halo’s kill and shield recharge times are just fundamentally incompatible with an extensive cover system. I wouldn’t mind scripted areas that allow it to improve map flow, but I don’t want to see Gears of War style game play.

I highly doubt their will be a cover system. But the new “spartan abilities” makes me think we’ll be able to slide into crouch… I kinda hope not, ppl will be like OMG THEY"RE COPYING COD AGAIN lol
They also showed a spartan doing a “ground pound”… i hope 343 has their head on right.

The trailer was way too detailed to consider it a representation of how it will actually play. It looked more like something you would find in Titanfall. For example, when the Spartan landed and sparks flew from the friction? That is too much detail and would never be taken into consideration for the real game.

This has been discussed before. The CG trailer=/=actual gameplay or graphics for that matter. A cover system works against halos run and gun style play. I doubt that even 343 would do something like that.

There has been talk of being able to run, jump, and climb around like they do in titan fall but honestly im against that.