Halo Community

I am currently trying to write an essay for my class on a “Discourse Community.” Basically, I need to give an analysis of a community that uses inside jargon or slang that would seem alien to an outsider. Obviously, I chose the Halo community.
So my main question is this:
Does anyone know of any slang or uncommon diction used in our Halo community? All I can think of is slang within the game, like “hinge-head” for elites or something. Can’t think of any slang people use for the community.
Any reply would be appreciated.

I haven’t played Halo for a long time, but a common “slang” I’ve heard are the ones used for kill streaks, like “Killtac” (Killtacular), “Jaro” (Killamanjaro), and some others.

Blam has been used to auto censor swear words in forum posts all the back to the Bungie days, I’ve seen some people turn to using it as general use curse word. I’m sure there were others but I wasn’t as active on the Bungie forums back then so I can’t remember them specifically.

“Naire” when referring to a Killionaire.
“Rocks” and “Snipes” for Rocket Launcher and Sniper Rifle, respectively.
”One-shot” when referring to a player who has no shields.
“Friendly X” and “Hostile X” when referring to an ally or an enemy that was killed. This is more so something Spartans in H5’s MP say during a match. It’s usually followed up by a location as well.
Just a few off the top of my head. I’m sure there are many more. Hope this helps!

Some Halo unique ones:

• Ninja’d: Jumping over someone behind you and hitting them in the back. - Back Smack / Beatdown (Perhaps just use ‘Back Smack’ for your analysis): Hitting an enemy in the back. - Supercombine: When a needler is used to make an enemy explode.Im not sure if this fits what you want OP, but Gaming (and by extension Halo) has a lot of jargon:

• Skill-Floor: Refers to amount of skill a player must gain before being able to contribute. It’s considered a barrier to entry in every game and is why tutorials exist. - Skill-Ceiling: The best possible amount of skill a player can have. Its a more general term used to explain the depth of a game. - Buff: While technically a real word, it has a unique definition in games. A Buff refers to when a per-existing item is made stronger. - Nerf: When a per-existing item is made weaker. - Frag: Defeating an enemy in PvP. - PvP (Player vs Player): A gamemode where you play against other real humans. - Knockback: When a player is uncontrollably pushed.

Most people call shipmaster half-Jaw.

Here’s some that I use or know. Granted not all of these are halo specific, some are just general gaming/internet slang.

Streaking - achieving multiple kills in 1 life, usually referring to a killing spree minimum.

Multi - earning a multikill medal for achieving multiple kills in quick succesion. The particular medals also have slang, such as dubs, trips, over/ok, etc…

Teabagging - the act of crouching up and down over a fallen player to simulate a -Yoink!- act for the purpose of shamming/enjoyment.

Rocks - rocket launcher

Snipes - sniper rifle

Sticky - plasma grenade

Nade - any grenade

No scope - precision weapon kill without the usage of ads/scope.

Quick scope - a precision weapon kill, usually by headshot while on the move, involving only brief usage of scope. The series of events plays out as running, scope, shoot, descope, resume, with the whole thing taking about 1-2 seconds to transpire.

Cap - an objective capture, be it flag cap, ball cap, base cap, etc…

Gg - good game, a show of sportsmanship

Ftw - for the win, a game winning score/move

Ads - aim down sights

Bots - programs used to simulate an actual player, but noticeable usually due to unconventional and even downright bad play style. Also used jokingly to refer to really bad players who run forward into death repeatedly.

Sassy - Assassination kill

Back smack - an instakill melee strike to the opponents back

Snooze - a game in which your teams skill far surpasses the opposing team(s), making the match feel very easy.

Kill steal - when a player is about to kill an opponent, only to have a teammate finish them off unnecessarily for the purpose of taking credit for the kill.

Sweaty - an overly vocal and aggressive, usually skilled, player that constantly complains and/or talks trash on any and everyone in order to feel important.

Now that’s just specific community stuff I can think of, that’s not even touching on the slang built into the game, like bulltrue, savior, oddball. All phrases that need explained to someone from outside the “community”. Also, i left out my griffball specific slang, as its basically just a mix of football and basketball slang lol will update if I think of more, hope this helps.

> 2533274824050480;4:
> “Naire” when referring to a Killionaire.
> “Rocks” and “Snipes” for Rocket Launcher and Sniper Rifle, respectively.
> ”One-shot” when referring to a player who has no shields.
> “Friendly X” and “Hostile X” when referring to an ally or an enemy that was killed. This is more so something Spartans in H5’s MP say during a match. It’s usually followed up by a location as well.
> Just a few off the top of my head. I’m sure there are many more. Hope this helps!

Wow! I don’t know -Yoink- about halo “slang”

Thanks everyone, actually this has all helped me a ton. I even saw some old terms I haven’t heard in years. I forgot about Blam, and was reminded of it just now from reading. But I have submitted my essay already, if anyone feels like reading it just for fun I can drop a link-share.

Halo specific:
-Noob combo
-Deranker/Deranking: kind of outdated; when someone purposely played like crap in H2/H3 ranked matches, in order to eventually be placed with much worse players who they could easily dominate.
-Teabagging
-Ninja: jump while being chased to get behind and assassinate pursuer
-Armor abilities (AAs)
-“Play the objective”
-Yoink
-Supercombine
-[Energy] Shields
-“Pop the shields”
-Dinos: Elites
-Monkeys/Apes: Brutes
-Machinima
-BXR (and other button combos like BXB, etc.)
-Swordfly, 'nade jump, super-bounce/launch, clip, etc.: various tricks and glitches you can do in different games.
-Man cannon: non-vertical gravity lifts on multiplayer maps.
-Stick (w/plasma or spike grenade)

General:
-Map/weapon balance
-Mechanics: how some gameplay element works
-Noscope
-Quickscope
-Headshot
-Sandbox: all weapons, grenades, equipment, abilities, etc. at the player’s disposal
-Time to kill (TTK)
-Skill based matchmaking (SBMM)
-Twitch shooter
-Buff and nerf
-Power weapon
-Casual and competitive
-Aim down sights (ADS)
-Physics: how various items in game behave or interact
-Skill gap: time & difficulty curve for mastering a certain gameplay element.
-Advanced movement: movement system with all kinds of movement mechanics beyond just walking (i.e. sprint, jetpack/thrusters, climbing, grappling, double jumps, wall-running, teleporting), often resulting in zipping around the map becoming a staple of the gameplay.
-Radar/motion tracker
-HUD
-Progression system/battlepass/unlocks
-Sweaty: Gameplay that is very effort-intensive and often more tense.