Halo Community Isn't The Same.

To start things off I don’t mean anything I say to sound bashful or hate so I am sorry if that’s how you interpret my post.

From what I remember, growing up and watching halo youtubers talk about how the halo community was respectful, fun, and easy to get along with back in the days of halo 3, Reach and somewhat 4, but when it comes to Halo 5, the community just isn’t the same. Now I like halo 5 what most people say and it’s enjoyable from time to time but most of the people who play it are immature. What I mean is that despite the fact that Halo 5 is very competitive, there’s little to none of the casual chill experience like there was in the past halo games. I understand that some of you halo players out there can experience halo 5 as a casual game. I don’t know how you do it but I give you props in doing so because that’s what I feel halo 5 lacks. Whenever I play a game and in the enemy there’s that one aggressive t-bagger that will t-bag you whether or not the person kills you. To me it doesn’t necessarily bother me but when I get them back with a little t-bag or just shoot there body a couple of times I then proceed to get a message from the player saying that they reported me for unsporting behavior like seriously. Not only that I could’ve done the same thing but decide to try and be the bigger man and not steep to that level of immaturity but I somehow end up paying the price but having my xbox rep go down because these kinds of players would do whatever they can at their hearts content. Another experience that I just end up ignoring is when someone on my team would be afk and then come back to their controller and play for about 5 seconds or so then proceeds to go afk. This happens rarely and when it does that person manages to stay in the game resulting me and the rest of the a team a loss. I would message these people saying “come on man if you’re not going to actively play the game then please quit so it doesn’t affect others who want to win.” What happens next is that I would get a response saying i get reported because that person assumes my message is sent in some kind of threatening way which in a certain perspective I could see where he’s coming from but that’s how meant it to sound like. These kind of people act like children that makes halo barely enjoyable for me. Comparing halo’s communities to other communities is surprising seeing as how some other communities are the same age as halo act more mature and respectful. (Granted yes there are other communities that are far worst then halo’s) Another off setting thing is that sometimes when I do really well in a game, I get messages saying that people reported me for cheating just because I had high stats that game. Somehow, some of the reports are allowed to impact me and I can’t do anything to prevent that. One last thing that seems upsetting is that I made the Warden, Guardian, and Mantle Glyphs as prefabs in halo 5’s forge back in august and made them public. It’s disappointing to see roughly about 30-50 people like and bookmark them out of the entire community. This kinda tells me that that people who liked and bookmark are the people that are respectful and casual players to halo 5. Honestly, I wish there was some kind of revive button to get more mature players to play halo 5 because this is what I think the halo community really needs. Some of you guys probably feel the same and some of you think that what I’m saying is inaccurate but that’s really how I’ve been experiencing halo lately. If you feel the same tell me about it if you don’t and have a great counter-argument feel free to post it.

Thank you for taking your time to read my post.

I like the casual gamemodes best…

> 2535438440265765;1:
> From what I remember, growing up and watching halo youtubers talk about how the halo community was respectful, fun, and easy to get along with back in the days of halo 3, Reach and somewhat 4, but when it comes to Halo 5, the community just isn’t the same.

I would say those youtubers had rose-tinted glasses on. All of those online games going back to H2 had t-baggers, immature people and afk’ers. Only thing I’ll give them is that Halo did have a bigger community back then. People also used mics more and Halo was in its prime during H3 so it was likely easier to find people that had the same interests and ones that got along with you. From a game perspective, I would agree that H5 isn’t really a casual friendly game.

This community can be very disrespectful, and unforgiving for no reason. We should never be out to hurt A fellow member In anyway. Defiantly when we all share the same passion In loving the Halo franchise.

Also those symbols are sick. You did an incredible job on them.

I remember even going back to halo 3 a lot of the people were pretty aggressive. In fact I would say it was much worse back then then it is now.

You are talking specifically about Halo, but the point you bring up is common to every subject in the world. Every generation thinks they did it better, whatever the subject is. “We did it better, the kids now are trash”. It’s just people remembering what they choose to remember. Someday someone will talk about how the Halo 5 community was the best EVER and the kids playing Halo 10 are disrespectful punks. Each generation has it’s fair share of good and bad people. So no I don’t think the community is worse now, and the world in general isn’t either.

I think the amount of negativity has not risen, but the inability for players to deal with that negativity has lessened. If you think it’s bad now than you don’t really remember the days of Reach, and the beginnings of the Sprint/No Sprint debate. That’s when I arrived to this community, and I didn’t let any trolls in or out of the game keep me from it. Yeah, they pissed me off here and there, but so what? That’s going to happen no matter how polite we try to be.

You mentioned a couple of times that the players are acting like children…well, yeah. I don’t know about you, but the majority of mics I hear are mics of little kids. That’s the reality. We are playing a game, and taking time to post on the forums, where a good amount of the players we are playing against and with are kids/children. It is what it is. You can’t control it, but you can control how you react to it.

Don’t waste time trying to reason or understand. Just report and move on.

> 2533274863544717;7:
> I think the amount of negativity has not risen, but the inability for players to deal with that negativity has lessened. If you thinks it’s bad now than you don’t really remember the days of Reach, and the beginnings of the Sprint/No Sprint debate. That’s when I arrived to this community, and I didn’t let any trolls in or out of the game to keep me from it. Yeah, they pissed me off here and there, but so what? That’s going to happen no matter how polite we try to be.
>
> You mentioned a couple of times that the players are acting like children…well, yeah. I don’t know about you, but the majority of mics I hear are mics of little kids. That’s the reality. We are playing a game, and taking time to post on the forums, where a good amount of the players we are playing against and with are kids/children. It is what it is. You can’t control it, but you can control how you react to it.
>
> Don’t waste time trying to reason or understand. Just report and move on.

I will admit yes I have matched with and against kids and I’m sure everyone has. I guess I wasn’t specific who the immature people of the community are and my guess is on teenagers and sadly adults. I say this because I doubt most kids know how to use the report function and I would report the people but it’s matter of being the better person and trying to fix the community.

“You must be the change you wish to see in the world”
-Ghandi

I’m not gonna lie, I only read a few sentences into your post because

> 2535438440265765;1:
> the halo community was respectful, fun, and easy to get along with back in the days of halo 3

What? Back in H2 and H3 the community was insanely disrespectful and at many times horrible to play with. You couldn’t get into one game without having your ears assaulted by various forms of hate, whether they be directed at your skill, your race, or your mother. In addition to that, there were a huge amount of afk’ers, griefers, and trolls across all gamemodes. It was fun, yeah, because everyone had the game and you always had tons of friends to play with, but the community was terrible.

Honestly, the fact that nobody uses their mics anymore is one of the best parts of H5.

It’s easy to look back and remember good things and forget bad things. Also the halo series itself is almost 2 decades old. Many many many of the people who played the original halos don’t even play video games anymore and have grown out of them. It’s not that the community had changed, it’s that the community is partly a different one then the one that existed back then. This community has more then a couple triple A titles to choose from. This community is more vocal and has much much HIGHER expectations.

> 2533274821761464;9:
> You couldn’t get into one game without having your ears assaulted by various forms of hate, whether they be directed at your skill, your race, or your mother.

Oh, the amount of 12 year olds who’ve slept with my mother… Don’t forget your sexuality; that was a big one too.

My favorite that I’ve experienced in Halo 5 was a dude who - based on my gamer tag - launched into a five minute rant about how Regan was a horrible president.

The grass is always greener on the other side.I don’t think it’s all that different from let’s say Halo 3. The community back then was just as toxic as it is now. I think it just comes as part of the package of a game made with the intent of being played highly competitively. The only difference I see is that the community back then was a lot larger. If anything the community now might be a little better because it’s mostly made of people who have a passion for the series. A lot of Halo 3’s community was just because it was popular. They weren’t Halo fans they where Halo 3 fans. I think the Halo community right now is one of the best in gaming.

As others have stated. The sludge has always been there, but I find nowadays the kids don’t know how to communicate to a live person without cell phone. I must confess, I do have my mic muted. If I hear someone doing their best to do call outs, I will unmute and join in. This does not seem to happen that much anymore. Try not to let the bs get to you, they are not worth you time!

I do wish that more people chatted. Even if it’s not super-accurate call-outs (e.g. a description rather than “Hallway mid red” or something of the like). That and just more socialization. Social Slayer has become anti-Social slayer.

I remember plenty of disrespectful stuff in the older halos. My teammates would kill themselves constantly to derank so they could play against less skilled opponents. Modders would make you spawn in the same place while their auto aim snipers picked you off immediately. And then there was the standby switchers. Ahh the good memories of Halo 2. Halo 3 didn’t have the issues with modding, but there was still plenty of unsportsmanlike conduct. I learned a lot about my mom from all the 10 year olds with mics

For the messages reporting and bagging I don’t know about you man but I’ve experienced that since halo 3.
Plus for the maps you’ve made that doesn’t necessarily mean only those people are causal players not everyone will see your maps because your creation is just a drop in the pool. It’ll be almost impossible for it to explode and everyone knows about it.

I honestly think there are worse things in the modern halo community than teabaggers and afk people. I’m not going to say what those things are because I’m not dumb, i know I’m going to be harassed if i do.

> 2535462450434439;16:
> For the messages reporting and bagging I don’t know about you man but I’ve experienced that since halo 3.
> Plus for the maps you’ve made that doesn’t necessarily mean only those people are causal players not everyone will see your maps because your creation is just a drop in the pool. It’ll be almost impossible for it to explode and everyone knows about it.

Understandable but I didn’t have live around halo 3 so I’m not much of a halo matchmaking veteran from back then and uncertain if they had a report function back then. And you are the second person to mention about the prefabs (not maps btw) and I appreciate that. The reason I mention that is because I made a post about that back in the community creation and only two people respond to that forum post which was a bit disappointing .

That’s every community of gaming and well, the world every community has a bad apple halo 5 as I’ve found is more annoying than some other games
someone told me to kill myself I told them to get a life and continued to report them I didn’t block them because if I ever match them in a playlist I’m good at I want them to suffer
MUAHAHAHA

> 2533274819171252;5:
> I remember even going back to halo 3 a lot of the people were pretty aggressive. In fact I would say it was much worse back then then it is now.

true most people on the Xbox One dont even use their mics anymore. In halo 3 everyone had a mic so you would run into a lot more trash talkers.