Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary: Review

Campaign:

The campaign is absolutely stunning! The graphics are unmatched in my opinion, the sound effects are so powerful, it’s like playing a new game… only better, A new Halo game!. I don’t have an exceptionally fast internet connection and therefor I lag bad enough to render the game unplayable over Xboxlive. Sad face. :’(

Halo: Reach Anniversary Matchmaking:

Anniversary Slayer is as close to Halo: CE’s Multiplayer as I think it can get using Reach. It isn’t perfect, but it sure is better than it was! When my internet is in a good mood the game flows so well, the weapons feel right, it’s awesome!

The maps (mainly Headlong/Breakneck) are an other story. Soft kill zones… everywhere you aren’t supposed to go, which is perfectly fine for Matchmaking, but for forge to? Why have permanent soft kill zones limiting the map so much? To keep people from forging in places that were not intended play space in matchmaking? What about custom games? Why not just have a physical barrier around the outskirts of the map like Forgeworld, and make all the soft kill zones editable so we can use every bit of space for forging? Why limit us so much?? I was going to make a Jenga map over the water on Headlong but can’t because of the kill zone, the physical barrier gives plenty of room to build but you can’t build anything over the water without it being in the kill zone, it’s very upsetting!

The same goes for the other maps, why put a permanent soft kill zone over the area just beyond the cliff on Timberland? What is it you don’t want us to do out there??

Another thing, I am the kind of person that loves to use ledges to trick jump from one place to an other, but on Headlong a lot of the ledges you can see you can’t physically walk on or jump on, and sometimes ledges you can see are completely blocked off by an inadvisable barrier, and if you try to jump on it, you fall to your death. Why put them there if you can’t use them? What is the point? The maps themselves look beautiful! But I would like to use them for forge as well.

Thank you 343 :slight_smile:

Edit: Removed section about split-screen.

Ummm it does have local splitscreen…

You mean if you disconnect from Xboxlive you can sign in an other profile?

I have two accounts that have gold subscriptions, but I can’t have them both signed on when playing Halo: CEA.

I have posted 343 times! :smiley: Sorry I’m random. -_-

and Anniversary Classic has no AAs in it at all.

Also the first time I ran into active camo and OS was an amazing experience, brought back so many memories. that sounds f***ing limited, but straight up, that reminded me of so many games of guardian in MLG on H3, and it was a hearty pile of nostalgia. the campaign generated an emotion much the same. why is camo so weak though? it shouldn’t be bad when i move, never was pre-reach.

anyway, i don’t know why i’m still typing, goodbye.

Yep, if you sign in on 2 profiles, you can play local splitscreen. Don’t need xbox live.

Nice review. And I do agree about the soft kill zones. I wish Bungie had never introduced them. There is so much exploration and fun things you could do in areas that are deemed “out of bounds”. The way Headlong had barriers in Halo 2 was perfect. You could access certain rooftops, but they would only help you if you had a weapon such as the Sniper.
~
In matchmaking, it’s understandable. But I agree, they shouldn’t be there in customs or Forge. I hope there are no permanent kill barriers in Halo 4.

If there are permanent kill zones in Halo 4… my head will explode! :slight_smile:

I’m impressed with what they did.

They gave us a remake, but updated the graphics. They added terminals, skulls, and even a way to turn your CE campaign play into cRedits in Reach.

I think they hit a grand slam.

They gave us an updated version of what made most of us become Halo fans in the first place, while at the same time giving us elements of more recent Halo games that we have become used to.

I agree about the maps for forging, it’s like they touched it but didn’t ultimately let it affect the way they built the map. But other maps have been that way as well, like Cold Storage from Halo 3. Oh, here are some new forgable items butttt…good luck doing much with it in this tiny, not deadly space. The floating health stations on Ridgeline are still frustrating to me. Seems like an oversight. I look forward to Halo 4, I hope they take “forging” to the next level.

> I’m impressed with what they did.
>
> They gave us a remake, but updated the graphics. They added terminals, skulls, <mark>and even a way to turn your CE campaign play into cRedits in Reach.</mark>
>
> I think they hit a grand slam.
>
> They gave us an updated version of what made most of us become Halo fans in the first place, while at the same time giving us elements of more recent Halo games that we have become used to.

How exactly does that work?

I KNOW I HEARD YOUR RANT ON XBOX THE OTHER DAY, BUT I FEEL LIKE SAYING I KNOW RIGHT!

343 simply MUST get rid of those darned permanent barriers and replace them with ones you can actually delete in Forge!

I was looking forward to making that Halo 3 styled Jenga map, but nope. Apparently we can’t build over water. Sigh… O.o

Anyway, I have another idea that we can actually put into practise and build. Imma not say here, kay?

OH! WE COULD BUILD THE JENGA MAP ON LAND, AND HAVE KILL BARRIERS UNDERNEATH IT! WOO. What an amazing idea. Of course that’s better than falling into water, and having a realistic death. -.-

Cake.

> I KNOW I HEARD YOUR RANT ON XBOX THE OTHER DAY, BUT I FEEL LIKE SAYING I KNOW RIGHT!
>
> 343 simply MUST get rid of those darned permanent barriers and replace them with ones you can actually delete in Forge!
>
> I was looking forward to making that Halo 3 styled Jenga map, but nope. Apparently we can’t build over water. Sigh… O.o
>
> Anyway, I have another idea that we can actually put into practise and build. Imma not say here, kay?
>
> OH! WE COULD BUILD THE JENGA MAP ON LAND, <mark>AND HAVE KILL BARRIERS UNDERNEATH IT!</mark> WOO. What an amazing idea. Of course that’s better than falling into water, and having a realistic death. -.-
>
> Cake.

Umm… kill barriers… O_o