Halo:Combat Evolved Anniversary Online Co-op Question

I just have one question to ask, and I hope a 343 Employee can answer this. I’m sure this is something that you can talk about anyway.

Now, you guys and gals have already confirmed that Co-op over Xbox Live will be two people. My question is in regards to the “Classic Mode” button that switches between the Old and New graphics.

When you play Co-op over Xbox Live, is it possible for one player to be using the Old graphics and the other player the New graphics, or does the Host have sole control over what graphics both players see ?

Wonderful question! Im guessing they will let alot more info out during Halofest since CEA will come out a few months after it.

Oh yes i like this question

<4 <343

Thanks for the support with this question you guys (and gals if any).

Hope this can get answered.

Wow, I never thought about this. Good question!

Huh, I hadn’t thought of that. I’m still wondering how it works. Halo: Combat Evolved lacked netcode, hence why they’re using Reach’s multiplayer (along with not splitting the community). However, the lack of netcode applies to campaign as well, so how does this work?

I’d imagine the graphics switch is a local affair. It wouldn’t make any sense for the host to be able to control what YOUR xbox is doing…

This is purely conjecture, but I would imagine that the graphics switch will not be available in co-op, or will be dictated by “Player 1”. This is because of the slight lag that is said to be involved in switching. It’s not a COMPLETELY seamless experience. They would have to write the netcode to allow for a slight stop in one player’s game if the other switches over, but I would imagine it being easier to simply disable the feature.

Again, it’s simply conjecture on my part, but I think it also makes quite a bit of sense. But I eagerly await a reply from someone from 343, if one is coming.

I’m pretty sure that both players can switch graphics back and forth during the campaign individually. After all, the rendering of the graphics are still managed by each player’s console. No data has to be sent from the host to the client for that, or vice versa.

Has it been answered yet ?

dude you look like old school ;D
funny you look like new school to me ._.

but yea be cool if it was sep for the players

thats a good q im guessing one can have old and one can have new i mean that wouldnt cause issuse itd just be different views so yea

I would like to think that you could change between the modes in co-op but i doubt that it will because thats alot to change on the fly over an internet connection.

It might be that you change it in the lobby for co-op play before you load up the game but i may be wrong(i hope i am :D)

343 hasn’t confirmed anything yet but I’m sure if you are new school and host isn’t, that won’t matter. They are both running simultaneously anyway.

WEIRD DOUBLE POST

I think it one player could have old, and other have new no problem, cause all you’re really doing is switching graphic engines, what ever engine they have set up to be the main engine that runs every thing but the graphics would most likely be the one that handles the netcodes for coop. I mean it’s not like F3AR’s coop, where one player can slow down time, which slows the movement of every thing in the game, which has to effect both players.

This is an interesting question. I never thought about it. My guess would be like some one said above that it is dictated by Player 1’s setting.

> Huh, I hadn’t thought of that. I’m still wondering how it works. Halo: Combat Evolved lacked netcode, hence why they’re using Reach’s multiplayer (along with not splitting the community). However, the lack of netcode applies to campaign as well, so how does this work?

I still think that if they managed it, reach would just die completely, not split the community. But I still think that this should have been their main focus, after all MULTIPLAYER is what the community asked for for years, not campaign.

> I think it one player could have old, and other have new no problem, cause all you’re really doing is switching graphic engines, what ever engine they have set up to be the main engine that runs every thing but the graphics would most likely be the one that handles the netcodes for coop. I mean it’s not like F3AR’s coop, where one player can slow down time, which slows the movement of every thing in the game, which has to effect both players.

There is a slight lag when switching between the two, even in solo, so the netcode would have to be able to account for that on both ends.

I understand the vision behind CE:A, remake the original game and try to stay true to almost all of the original’s features. But the 2 player co-op is just a terrible idea it may have been in the original but that was ten years ago it is now possible to add 4 player co-op ala Halo 3

http://halo.bungie.org/misc/foconnor_haloanniversary_qa.html

Source