Halo CEA: Soundtrack CD & Vinyl discrepancies

As I am very excited for the new remastered soundtrack performed by Sywalker Sound and San Francisco-based Pyramind Studios, employed by producers Kristofor Mellroth and Paul Lipson. I have some major concerns with the discrepancies between the two major releases of the soundtracks. For one the vinyl release is so cool, well at least I thought it was going to be cool. It’s going to be the first release of a Halo based soundtrack on vinyl. It is going to be limited edition and green! Now as cool as that sounds there seems to be a major downside. After gazing upon the Amazon and Gamestop pages for the vinyl, I noticed one problem. The vinyl is consisting of “one disc” with sixteen tracks. Where as the cd version is two discs containing thirty-nine songs, this is where I was majorly confused. After seeing the vinyl will be containing a DL card of the digital mp3’s I thought that was a smart move, as most vinyls I own contain the same feature, as well as, sometimes containing an actually hard CD copy in a paper sleeve. I honestly think that if they are going to label the vinyl as the “Original Sountrack” it should contain two discs containing all thirty-nine tracks. If they are going to only release half of the songs for the LP version it should be clearly labeled as such, this makes the appeal for the vinyl very low in my opinion. Although it will be green which is very cool its hardly a collectors item if it is going to be niltch on delivering the full musical experience.

> It’s something I was very keen on doing and I m so incredibly thrilled we got to do this. The goal was to deliver the Halo soundtrack in an entirely new way but also to create a collectible that would look great on a shelf, wall, or trophy case for the serious Halo fan. Vinyl is a physical medium and like Halo: Combat Evolved’s music it is timeless. WE HOPE YOU ENJOY IT. Kristofor Mellroth | Senior Audio Director | Microsoft Studios

This is a major oversight I believe if the vinyl is going to be released in such a condensed version. I honestly hope that when it is released it will contain the ENTIRE soundtrack.

Links:
Vinyl Edition
Track Listing:

1. Random Slipspace Trajectory
  2. Installation 04
  3. Bravery, Brotherhood
  4. An End of Dying
  5. Pale Rider
  6. Yawning Chasm
  7. A private service
  8. Suite Fall
  9. Rock in a hard place
  10. Honest Negotiation Suite
  11. Flotsam, Jetsam
  12. Demons and Heretics
  13. Exfiltration
  14. Unless you mean to shoot
  15. Captain, my Captain
  16. Strung

CD Edition
Track Listing:
Disc: 1

1. Random Slipspace Trajectory
  2. Bravery, Brotherhood
  3. Installation 04
  4. An End of Dying
  5. Pale Rider
  6. Yawning Chasm
  7. A Private Service
  8. Rock in a Hard Place
  9. Flotsam, Jetsam
  10. Captain, My Captain
  11. Suite Fall
  12. Demons and Heretics
  13. Exfiltration
  14. Honest Negotiation Suite
  15. Unless You Mean To Shoot
  16. Infiltration
  17. Strung

Disc: 2

1. Still, Moving
  2. Lions and Tigers and…
  3. Between Beams
  4. Paranoid Illusion
  5. Xenoarchaelogy
  6. Choreographite
  7. In the Substance of it
  8. How to Get Ahead in War
  9. Unreliable Exploration
  10. Dewy Decimate
  11. First Step
  12. Arborea Above
  13. Bad Dream
  14. Cloaked in Blackness
  15. Strident
  16. To Sleep
  17. Marathon Sprint
  18. Fragments
  19. Heretic Machine
  20. Unfortunate Discovery
  21. Heliopause
  22. Didactic Principal

As some of you may notice the song names are different from the Original Sountrack from Martin O’Donnell and Michael Salvatori. I do not have an explanation as to why, I just hope the songs are the same and stay true to the originals!
Original Track Listing:
1.Opening Suite
2.Truth and Reconciliation Suite
3.Brothers in Arms
4.Enough Dead Heroes
5.Perilous Journey
6.A Walk in the Woods
7.Ambient Wonder
8.The Gun Pointed at the Head of the Universe
9.Trace Amounts
10.Under Cover of Night
11.What Once Was Lost
12.Lament for Pvt. Jenkins
13.Devils… Monsters…
14.Covenant Dance
15 Alien Corridors
16.Rock Anthem for Saving the World
17.The Maw
18.Drumrun
19.On a Pale Horse
20.Perchance to Dream
21.Library Suite
22.The Long Run
23.Suite Autumn
24.Shadows
25.Dust and Echoes
26.Halo

Yeah, I guess that does stink. They might have thought the cost of putting all the songs on vinyl was too much.

Vinyl?

Seriously?

I grew up in the 80’s. Vinyl is dead and can stay dead. Even that " crisp amazing sound" didn’t make up for the annoying “scratching” of the needle on the record as well as once you break that needle, it is like looking for Solomons Gold.

My only gripe with current music is that some vocals tend to get a little too high if you play 'em loud.

Otherwise, Welcome to the Downloadable Digital World. I prefer convenience.

guys this same thread is on b.nets off topic.
strange

Posted by: arem1138

> guys this same thread is on b.nets off topic.
> strange

Yes it was also on the CE forums here, but I didn’t have any educating comments, and there was a lack of comments with reason. So I have resorted to posting it in other areas to get feedback. This is a very important subject to me because I am a big fan of game soundtracks.

> Posted by: arem1138
>
>
> > guys this same thread is on b.nets off topic.
> > strange
>
> Yes it was also on the CE forums here, but I didn’t have any educating comments, and there was a lack of comments with reason. So I have resorted to posting it in other areas to get feedback. This is a very important subject to me because I am a big fan of game soundtracks.

Have you tried sending @halowaypoint a msg asking if the Vinyl is condensed or not? I am sorry for my ignorance but can they fit all the songs on one record? If they can’t as I said it may have been a cost/demand thing.

> Posted by: Link1201
> Have you tried sending @halowaypoint a msg asking if the Vinyl is condensed or not? I am sorry for my ignorance but can they fit all the songs on one record? If they can’t as I said it may have been a cost/demand thing.

No I have not tried contacting 343i, I didn’t know it was casually possible. If it’s a cost issue then Microsoft is in a major bind not being able to supply the full experience to only 5000 vinyl copies. I have many vinyls in collection, I just bought Alice in Chains Black Gives Way to Blue record for $24. For that price I got 2 LP’s with 11 songs A,B,C, and D sides, not to mention a copy of the actual cd in a paper sleeve inside the package. Im sure if Microsoft wanted to they could release the claimed “Original Soundtrack” on vinyl with every song no problem. I don’t think this is a money issue it’s more of a lack of judgment and maybe laziness? Im not sure about the last one, but I feel like this is a major over-sight for this part of the community.

> > Posted by:Link1201
> > Have you tried sending @halowaypoint a msg asking if the Vinyl is condensed or not? I am sorry for my ignorance but can they fit all the songs on one record? If they can’t as I said it may have been a cost/demand thing.
>
> No I have not tried contacting 343i, I didn’t know it was casually possible. If it’s a cost issue then Microsoft is in a major bind not being able to supply the full experience to only 5000 vinyl copies. I have many vinyls in collection, I just bought Alice in Chains Black Gives Way to Blue record for $24. For that price I got 2 LP’s with 11 songs A,B,C, and D sides, not to mention a copy of the actual cd in a paper sleeve inside the package. Im sure if Microsoft wanted to they could release the claimed “Original Soundtrack” on vinyl with every song no problem. I don’t think this is a money issue it’s more of a lack of judgment and maybe laziness? Im not sure about the last one, but I feel like this is a major over-sight for this part of the community.

Ahh, I see again sorry for my ignorance. I agree with you I’d want the full experience. I am not sure what they were thinking or if this is an over sight. I would definitively msg @Halowaypoint (they’re pretty good at getting back to people with Legitimate Questions) and I might even PM BS Angel about it.