Halo: CEA Marines/ODST *Updated*

I’ve noticed that the Marines in Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary are actually UNSC Army Troopers. I wonder if they will correct that before the game comes out or just ignore it? It is possible they can ignore it canonically since Cortana often used the term “Soldiers” instead of “Marines” during game play but Halo Reach did have Marines in it, so it seems like those character models should be used. Unless the Army troopers just give us more variety or they are indeed canon?

But one thing I would like to see is ODSTs. According to Halo: The Flood, the men who assaulted the Truth and Reconciliation with the Master Chief were “Helljumpers” and we all know that Helljumpers are ODSTs. So Canon wise, this would be a great opportunity to show them the way they’re supposed to be, in full ODST battle armor.

The scene where they go up the Gravity Lift and then the fight on board would just look awesome with real ODSTs. What do you guys think? Is there still time to change it or is what we see in the trailer pretty much what we get?

The Marines and Army troops look the same in Reach anyways. Also Halo CE did have ODSTs, there just normal marines with Helljumper patches on their shoulders, I really hope they give them actual ODST armor.

Im also hoping they will add ODST’s before lauching the game. As for the marines, I think 343 should take the time to make their own versions of the marines that look more like the originals instead of using the reach versions.

> The Marines and Army troops look the same in Reach anyways. Also Halo CE did have ODSTs, there just normal marines with Helljumper patches on their shoulders, I really hope they give them actual ODST armor.

There were differences between the Marines and Army in Reach. But it’s still a really minor thing. I just think it would be awesome to see the TaR Marines in the ODST armor they should have always been in. Realistically they didn’t wear them because they had yet to be designed until Halo 2. But now that we know what they look like and they’re awesome, we should get to see them in CEA. It would make an already awesome level more awesome IMO.

Army

Marines

> > The Marines and Army troops look the same in Reach anyways. Also Halo CE did have ODSTs, there just normal marines with Helljumper patches on their shoulders, I really hope they give them actual ODST armor.
>
> There were differences between the Marines and Army in Reach. But it’s still a really minor thing. I just think it would be awesome to see the TaR Marines in the ODST armor they should have always been in. Realistically they didn’t wear them because they had yet to be designed until Halo 2. But now that we know what they look like and they’re awesome, we should get to see them in CEA. It would make an already awesome level more awesome IMO.
>
> Army
>
> Marines

There are ones that look just like the troop throughout the game that are called Marines.
Also the ODST armor has been around for YEARS before Halo CE.

> > > The Marines and Army troops look the same in Reach anyways. Also Halo CE did have ODSTs, there just normal marines with Helljumper patches on their shoulders, I really hope they give them actual ODST armor.
> >
> > There were differences between the Marines and Army in Reach. But it’s still a really minor thing. I just think it would be awesome to see the TaR Marines in the ODST armor they should have always been in. Realistically they didn’t wear them because they had yet to be designed until Halo 2. But now that we know what they look like and they’re awesome, we should get to see them in CEA. It would make an already awesome level more awesome IMO.
> >
> > Army
> >
> > Marines
>
> There are ones that look just like the troop throughout the game that are called Marines.
> Also the ODST armor has been around for YEARS before Halo CE.

Yes I know the ODST armor has been around for years in-universe. I’m talking about in real life. ODSTs didn’t make their first appearance until Halo 2 when you land on Delta Halo. In-universe they have always looked like that or at least similar to that, which is why I think from a canon stand point, (as well as an awesome stand point), they should put the ODSTs at least in the TaR level.

As for the guys in Reach, you don’t meet Marines for the first time until you encounter ODSTs. Everyone else up to that point has been the UNSC Army. You don’t see non-ODST Marines until the Pillar of Autumn. You encounter them in the facility and when the Autumn drops them off to help secure Keyes’ landing zone. They were also Marines in Keyes’ Pelican.

You can tell the difference in them because the Marines have the MP helmet as well as one Security shoulder. Some of them even have ODST style leggings. Their color is also more Tan instead of the Army’s Grey/White.

> As for the guys in Reach, you don’t meet Marines for the first time until you encounter ODSTs. Everyone else up to that point has been the UNSC Army.

What? I would have assumed that the soldiers accompanying you to the Long Night of Solace were Marines. That seems much more a Marine job than an Army one.

> > As for the guys in Reach, you don’t meet Marines for the first time until you encounter ODSTs. Everyone else up to that point has been the UNSC Army.
>
> What? I would have assumed that the soldiers accompanying you to the Long Night of Solace were Marines. That seems much more a Marine job than an Army one.

They’re wearing Army colors but with less Armor. It’s possible they’re actually UNSC Air Force or something but that’s just speculation. They still look completely different, (minus the enclosed helmet), from the ones we see at the end of the game.

LNoS Trooper

EDIT: According to Halopedia I was right. The guys who assist during LNoS are indeed Air Force Commandos.

UNSC Air Force

I’m gonna say it again, in most missions the Troops are referred to as Marines, example: ONI Swordbase when you get the tutorial for recruiting.

> > As for the guys in Reach, you don’t meet Marines for the first time until you encounter ODSTs. Everyone else up to that point has been the UNSC Army.
>
> What? I would have assumed that the soldiers accompanying you to the Long Night of Solace were Marines. That seems much more a Marine job than an Army one.

This.

It doesn’t make sense that they would train army soldiers in flying a spacefighter.

> > > As for the guys in Reach, you don’t meet Marines for the first time until you encounter ODSTs. Everyone else up to that point has been the UNSC Army.
> >
> > What? I would have assumed that the soldiers accompanying you to the Long Night of Solace were Marines. That seems much more a Marine job than an Army one.
>
> This.
>
> It doesn’t make sense that they would train army soldiers in flying a spacefighter.

They are neither, they are Air Force.

> > > > As for the guys in Reach, you don’t meet Marines for the first time until you encounter ODSTs. Everyone else up to that point has been the UNSC Army.
> > >
> > > What? I would have assumed that the soldiers accompanying you to the Long Night of Solace were Marines. That seems much more a Marine job than an Army one.
> >
> > This.
> >
> > It doesn’t make sense that they would train army soldiers in flying a spacefighter.
>
> They are neither, they are Air Force.

Or just Navy, personnel on space vessels are Navy as well even though space ships aren’t naval vehicles. The same could be true for starfighters, unless there’s some sort of ‘Space Force.’ :\

Weren’t the ODST’s in The Flood forced to jump to Halo without their gear? So if we did see them then it wouldn’t make sense

Starships are considered Navy because they’re Ships. Mickey in ODST had said “The Navy put up a good fight”.

I don’t see how the ODSTs forgot their gear. What were they doing during the long journey to Halo to begin with? They just escaped Reach and were being chased by Covenant ships. Didn’t they think to already be suited up by the time they got there? Even the Master Chief had time to take a nap.

No one was expecting the Covenant to be waiting for them so I don’t think they had time to put on their gear and get to their pods in the middle of The Autumn being shot at and boarded. They wouldn’t be walking around in full battle rattle if there isn’t a threat.

> No one was expecting the Covenant to be waiting for them so I don’t think they had time to put on their gear and get to their pods in the middle of The Autumn being shot at and boarded. They wouldn’t be walking around in full battle rattle if there isn’t a threat.

They knew the Covenant was after them. Keyes was surprised to see they beat them there. “Covenant ships have always been faster” Cortana explains.

Besides, you’re saying they didn’t have time to dress in full ODST gear but they had time to dress as a regular Marine? That’s like a Police Officer saying “Sorry I was late for work, didn’t have time to put on my uniform but I had enough time to dress as a Fireman”

No I’m saying they were in regular BDU’s and once they were at Alpha Base they put on Marine gear

> No I’m saying they were in regular BDU’s and once they were at Alpha Base they put on Marine gear

I still find that to be a lame excuse, even if it is in the Book. They managed to get to their HEVs and drop on the Halo in typical ODST fashion, they should have had their outfits too. I suppose in the book it says they weren’t fully enclosed so their Helmets can be removed or something but I would still like to see them in their ODST armor to help differentiate them from the other Troopers. Plus the ODSTs just look awesome to begin with and it would be great to see them in Halo: Combat Evolved.

I do agree that it would be pretty flipping awesome to have the ODST’s (properly liveried) in Halo CEA. Would be super sweet… Not to mention it would make it even funnier when you “switch back”, lol…

Grim

> > No I’m saying they were in regular BDU’s and once they were at Alpha Base they put on Marine gear
>
> I still find that to be a lame excuse, even if it is in the Book. They managed to get to their HEVs and drop on the Halo in typical ODST fashion, they should have had their outfits too. I suppose in the book it says they weren’t fully enclosed so their Helmets can be removed or something but I would still like to see them in their ODST armor to help differentiate them from the other Troopers. Plus the ODSTs just look awesome to begin with and it would be great to see them in Halo: Combat Evolved.

Indeed, it takes 30 seconds to put on a vest and helmet.
Even with all the extra gear they have - Armoured collar, leg and thigh protection, arm protection, shoulder pads - they still have plenty of time from “battestations” being sounded and boarding taking place to get dressed.
Some of them don’t seal their suits so that again takes time off.
Even if we see a few with missing/scavenged Marine parts, half or more will be regular ODSTs.