Halo: CEA - Cosmetic Discrepancies

> FINAL UPDATE - With the newest round of screenshots being unveiled, I can safely say that most of my concerns about H:CEA’s visuals have been put to rest. Master Chief and the Assault Rifle look very good. Well done! The only criticism I have remaining deals with the Marines. It still appears that their models are the same very well equipped Army troopers. Maybe it’s just me, but most of the troopers on Installation 04 were not wearing heavy, well-equipped, fatigues. They scavenged for anything they could find. Delve into The Flood novel for more details.
>
> All that said, I’m glad things turned out as they have. My main two concerns have been resolved. As such, I am not going to be updating this thread anymore. Thanks to all involved at 343 Industries, Saber Interactive, and Certain Affinity for smoothing out the H:CEA graphics. I hope the Marine BDU has been or will be taken care of. Regardless, I’ll be able to manage with John and his signature weapon looking beautiful. Thanks!!!
>
> -Always Hope

> UPDATE 2 - SNIP!

> UPDATE - SNIP!

After watching various clips pertaining to Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, I have noticed a single minor cosmetic detail I believe needs to be addressed. Feel free to disagree with me, or state your own opinion. The Devil is in the details, or so they say.

Master Chief’s Mark V Helmet
I’ve seen many versions of the Mark V helmet throughout various games, books, and several other outlets. The Mark V helmet in this trailer, however, does not look right. I’m not quite sure what it is, but the overall form of the helmet seems too, well small. View any other Mk. V helmet in the series (especially the original Halo: CE one) and compare it to the one in the trailer. Maybe the sides of the helmet are too streamlined or something. Perhaps, it’s the various camera angles used in the videos. To be honest, I’m not quite sure what the deal is. All I know is I don’t like it. It does NOT look right. Maybe one of you artistic gurus can help me out. Below is a growing list of comparison images for your usage.

User Supplied Screenshots
Mk. V Upper Body Comparison
Mk. V Helmet Comparison
Halo: CE - Original MAC Image
Anniversary Packing
Halo: CE - Screenshot

What do you think? Have you seen any graphical/cosmetic detail within the limited information released you take issue with? Do you have any ideas or advice as to what could be changed to fix it? Please list all you find. Let’s all be positive and supportive critics of, arguably, the greatest series to ever grace the X-Box console. We know it’s going to play great because it’s CE. How about we try and make sure Halo: CEA looks as well as we remember it too!!! Thanks for the help!

-Always Hope

I appreciate all the input. Here are some suggestions from various other forum users as well. I will do my best to keep this updated between class, work, and other life-related responsibilities. No promises!

Other Notable Discrepancies via Users
Army Rangers =/= Marines
MA37 ICWS =/= MA5B
M6G =/= M6D
M45 =/= M90
M41 =/= M19

Disclaimer - "This is a remake of a classic game. Its features and story arc are set in stone. Thus, the only thing we need to be very concerned about, in regards to campaign, is the way the game looks…Forgive me for wanting the graphics to be as accurate as they should be in a fully graphically remastered remake."

>

A new writeup from bs angel has been placed on the front page. It contains a good amount details pertaining to several questions and various other Halo related items. Please discuss its in the official forum thread created for our usage. Things are looking good. :slight_smile:

>

A Title Update has been confirmed for Halo Reach. See the news post here and drop by the discussion for it here. Thanks for the early morning updating on the categories Miss bs angel! I greatly appreciate the moderating.

>

The latest Halo Bulletin can be located here. One of our 343i contacts, bs Angel, details her top 5 items for the Title Update. They are fairly humorous. Give it the once over if you haven’t already. Also, the Bungie Day Playlist is up and running all day today. Now is the chance for you to grab a steak from Bungie. More inforamtion on that here.

>

Updated - 7/22/2011

Agreed.

Agreed with this, but would also like to point out a few other things. For one, the Assault Rifle is not right. It’s using Reach’s assault rifle, as opposed to Combat Evolved’s. This might be thought to be a simple cosmetic difference, but in-universe Bungie had it confirmed last year that the UNSC Army uses Reach’s model, and Combat Evolved’s is used by the Marines. Basically, they’re NOT the same gun in-universe.

Also, though, 343 has put Army soldiers into Anniversary. This is wrong, too; marines were the only ally models in Halo (besides Elites) until Reach. Please add this info to the OP too.

Holy God WHO CARES!? Gameplay is the same, that is what matters. If you don’t like it, turn on the classic mode.

Thanks for the input. I updated the OP.

> Holy God WHO CARES!? Gameplay is the same, that is what matters. If you don’t like it, turn on the classic mode.

I care, and I’d appreciate it if you showed a little respect. Halo: CE was as much about its story and gameplay as it was its graphics. I recall being absolutely stunned when I first played Halo: CE on the X-Box many years ago. It looked absolutely breathtaking. You may not have experienced this, but I did.

I made this topic in order to preserve that feeling. I want all current and future Halo gamers to have the option to see every little detail I did in HD glory. That may mean very little to you and various others, but it means a lot to me. It is my hope that the Halo: CEA will allow everyone to experience an event that helped define a generation of gamers on the XBL console.

-Always Hope

Graphics Don’t = Gamplay. Sorry. You sound silly.

> Graphics Don’t = Gamplay. Sorry. You sound silly.

Leave him and his opinion alone.

Besides, I would assume 343 would actually want input on the “new/old” look since it’s something completely different from anything prior to the franchise.

Hah! Seriously? We all know that the gameplay and story is going to be stellar. This is a remake of a classic game. Its features and story arc are set in stone. Thus, the only thing we need to be very concerned about, in regards to campaign, is the way the game looks. Your statement holds no water here. Forgive me for wanting the graphics to be as accurate as they should be in a fully graphically remastered remake. I will not be replying to your responses again unless you show a little respect. Thank you and have a good day.

-Always Hope

Wait, really?

You’re arguing that only gameplay complaints are valid… in a gameplay identical remake?
Considering that the entire campaign is a visual remastering, I have a feeling that any critiques over the game’s appearance are more than appropriate.

Keep in mind though that this trailer could have been built using different parts of the build. Some taken from one part and some from other parts. I’ve got a feeling that the game will look amazing as it will play.

I didn’t go into painstaking detail while watching the trailer, so I can’t speak for any other things, but the visor on the helmet did look… different. It seems like it’s too flat, and it doesn’t give the helmet the same feel. Other than that, it looked pretty good to me.

The Marines did look like Army troopers, but I always called them Marines in the heat of the moment, anyway. The AR does look like the Reach AR, but has the ammo capacity of the CE. We definitely need more details before jumping to conclusions. I’m excited, though. Co-op, multiplayer, classic mode, Firefight? Seems like a pretty sweet deal to me.

That helmet is bugging me as well, and I’m wondering the same with the Marines.

True, but we are not talking about gameplay here. We are talking about graphics.

And I really agree with what Teltaur said.

I’m almost certain everything you saw in that trailer is Alpha, meaning unfinished. They must be using the Reach AR, elite, and marine models as placeholders. Again, with the helmet, subject to change. Hopefully.

I agree…They need to re-tool the helmet. Check the most recent picture in the Halo Bulletin…It looks even MORE off…

I hope that this is just like…Alpha footage or something…It needs to get changed! It needs to look less cartooney and more like the original…

I took a couple of screenshots, cropped the two images equally and put them next to each other. It’s nothing special, but you might want to add this to the first post:

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/4/oldvsnewchiefcropped.png

> I took a couple of screenshots, cropped the two images equally and put them next to each other. It’s nothing special, but you might want to add this to the first post:
>
> http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/4/oldvsnewchiefcropped.png

Good picture to help compare. “New” version just appears taller or rather not as wide as original IMO.

I love that you’re able to switch between the original graphics and updated graphics during gameplay. So you can have your marines back at the press of a button if I’m not mistaken. :wink:

I wouldn’t worry too much. There’s time to tweak the character model between now and ship. The environments look fantastic though.

Have a look here.

That, resembles what it looks like here.

The helmet isnt intended to look like this.

Why? Because 343i seems like they want it to be exactly CE but with a more rooted feeling. And that, feels much more like the Halo we all saw in 1999 at the announcement for the Mac. Tell me I’m wrong. But look again, the 1999 version resembles the new version.