Halo CE "C" key automatically picks up weapons

Hey is anyone else having and issue with the “C” key picking up weapons automatically, my action key is set to “E” so it should be the only key for picking up weapons however the “C” key also picks up weapons but does not work for actions such as entering vehicles. My “C” key is mapped to crouch so anytime I use it near weapons it picks them up. I was not having this issue before Halo 2 came out and I noticed that the default key for dual wielding in halo2 was mapped to the “C” key however reassigning to another key did not change the issue in Halo CE and I still pick up weapons with “C”. I have uninstalled both Halo CE and Halo 2 then reinstalled but that did not fix it. Then I installed MCC and only installed Halo CE that also did not fix it. Any fixes for this?

I remember this not being an issue when Halo: CE launched either, this must have been because of the dual wielding in halo 2 as you say, good thinking.
I myself use C to cycle weapons which I’m carrying, so it’s a burden for me too.
I just hope they’ll fix this soon. I’ve been looking for DIY fixes, but to no avail.

Still an issue

This explains the issue I’ve had for months! I was wondering why I was only having weird auto pickup in CE when I played with friends, my discord push to talk is C. Thanks months old waypoint post that only now shows up when I google searched for the issue the 20th time this year. :stuck_out_tongue:

As this appears to be an issue with your game, we recommend heading over to https://aka.ms/HaloSupport for further assistance. Please review the latest known issues and submit a ticket if your issue is not listed.

Thanks!

I just tried to submit this, but it’s just too cryptic to find a “submit request” button, for it does not exist on any of the relevant pages, and when I do find one, it’s just a stamp that you cannot press. Even after reading the “How to submit request” (the only page where I actually found the fake button) I am left clueless to where the button is. This feels like trying to find Ubisoft support, or any other support if I’m honest.

I am defeated. Maybe it’s just my several web browsers and computers who are screwing up, or I might just be missing something obvious, which could happen to everyone, I just don’t know, but I feel like an idiot.

Kenlaboss - Just to make sure, were you signed into the support site before you tried to access the new ticket page? From what I recall the “submit request” button won’t show unless you’re logged in first. There should be an option in the top right hand corner of the site

> 2533274813317074;7:
> Kenlaboss - Just to make sure, were you signed into the support site before you tried to access the new ticket page? From what I recall the “submit request” button won’t show unless you’re logged in first. There should be an option in the top right hand corner of the site

That was it! I just wasn’t logged in, I wish it would have been told on the “how to submit request” page, for it would have eased my headache. It is submitted now.

> 2533274813317074;5:
> As this appears to be an issue with your game, we recommend heading over to https://aka.ms/HaloSupport for further assistance. Please review the latest known issues and submit a ticket if your issue is not listed.
>
> Thanks!

Well I’m glad this thread was posted as I reported this on the support site months ago (during season 2) and was thinking about reporting again recently but had no clue of the cause to put into the report till now.