Halo book readers/ lore followers

Does anyone else feel as if the games lack story?
The games are great, and I have played all the campaigns and like them all, but after reading the books and following up on lore and after listening to Hunt the Truth, I sort of feel that the games lack in story. They focus a lot on being a good FPS but don’t seem to include as much story in as they could. I have read quite a few forums about Hunt the Truth and have found multiple people who seemed to have only played the games and didn’t even know about John’s abduction or hardly any of the halo universe. I don’t think, until the intro of halo 4, that it is even included that he had been abducted as a child?
My point is, the games are amazing, but after recently reading the books I feel like the game could be even better if it included even more “story”, there is a huge in-depth universe but the game doesn’t include half of the stuff it could. Perhaps some sort of flashback John has, and you get to play as him as a child going through his vigorous training.
Does anyone feel the same/similar? Or am I asking too much here :stuck_out_tongue:

Halo 4 in my opinion still had the most concrete story not only in plot but between the character’s the relationship between John and Cortana. Halo 5 Guardians looks like it will be even better than Halo 4 not sure if you saw the interview with Reed and Frankie but it was amazing for the story especially the character’s

Frankie: “I think the most important thing about Nightfall was getting to see Agent Locke getting an understanding of what Spartans are - that dedication to duty and honor above all the kind of subterfuge and politics that the Office of Naval Intelligence has built into its DNA. And giving him some perspective on his former career as we bridge that into his future career, which you play in Halo 5.”
Reed: “He is going from being Agent Locke to Spartan Locke. He understands what it means to be a Spartan now.”

But yes the original trilogy is the games i had the most problem with John having the personality of a toaster oven for one. Halo 3’s plot holes and don’t get me started on Reach. Bungie went for the human element with Noble Team but i felt Osiris was more human in the E3 demo than Noble was in the entire game. Wasn’t all bad CE the game that started it all. Halo 2 which gave us the covenant perspective showing us the other side and allowing us to view the universe through a different pair of eyes was great. As well as ODST where Alpha-Nine seemed human and a tight nit squad and gave us two stories Saddies and the squads stories

> > 2533274830587831;2:
> > Halo 4 in my opinion still had the most concrete story not only in plot but between the character’s the relationship between John and Cortana. Halo 5 Guardians looks like it will be even better than Halo 4 not sure if you saw the interview with Reed and Frankie but it was amazing for the story especially the character’s
> >
> > Frankie: “I think the most important thing about Nightfall was getting to see Agent Locke getting an understanding of what Spartans are - that dedication to duty and honor above all the kind of subterfuge and politics that the Office of Naval Intelligence has built into its DNA. And giving him some perspective on his former career as we bridge that into his future career, which you play in Halo 5.”
> > Reed: “He is going from being Agent Locke to Spartan Locke. He understands what it means to be a Spartan now.”
> >
> > But yes the original trilogy is the games i had the most problem with John having the personality of a toaster oven for one. Halo 3’s plot holes and don’t get me started on Reach. Bungie went for the human element with Noble Team but i felt Osiris was more human in the E3 demo than Noble was in the entire game. Wasn’t all bad CE the game that started it all. Halo 2 which gave us the covenant perspective showing us the other side and allowing us to view the universe through a different pair of eyes was great. As well as ODST where Alpha-Nine seemed human and a tight nit squad and gave us two stories Saddies and the squads stories
>
> Yes, I totally agree! Halo 4 had a pretty decent campaign! I did see the interview, I am glad that 343 are actually giving the characters more personality and improving the campaigns.
>
> Yeah, John’s personality was that of a toaster. But 343 did seem to add to that in halo 4, when he refused a command from a commanding officer, and at the end when he looses cortana, he seems to show at least a bit more of a personality. ODST did great, with the two story-lines, which is what halo 5 seems to be doing too (blue team and team Osiris). I just hope that 343 makes use of the in-depth universe that they have, and try to add more story to the games rather than just ‘shooting aliens’.
>
> I am glad someone agrees :smiley:
> (by the way, nice CSR on halo 4, CSR of 50! that is crazy!)

I can only say that 343 does a way better job in developing lore in-game.

> 2533274820441404;4:
> I can only say that 343 does a way better job in developing lore in-game.

I agree! :smiley:

I have fallen way behind on the books because I have been trying to finish mortal dictate for so long but it is just so boring that I haven’t gotten around to it.
I am actually excited for hunters in the dark but don’t want to read it until Ive caught up on media.

> 2533274882129681;1:
> Does anyone else feel as if the games lack story?
> The games are great, and I have played all the campaigns and like them all, but after reading the books and following up on lore and after listening to Hunt the Truth, I sort of feel that the games lack in story. They focus a lot on being a good FPS but don’t seem to include as much story in as they could. I have read quite a few forums about Hunt the Truth and have found multiple people who seemed to have only played the games and didn’t even know about John’s abduction or hardly any of the halo universe. I don’t think, until the intro of halo 4, that it is even included that he had been abducted as a child?
> My point is, the games are amazing, but after recently reading the books I feel like the game could be even better if it included even more “story”, there is a huge in-depth universe but the game doesn’t include half of the stuff it could. Perhaps some sort of flashback John has, and you get to play as him as a child going through his vigorous training.
> Does anyone feel the same/similar? Or am I asking too much here :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d say a bigger problem the original trilogy had was tone. Like, in the books, and in Reach and ODST, there’s a bit of a desperate tone set. Humanity is pushed further and further to the brink, and the best people can hope for is to SURVIVE, not actually win. Meanwhile, in the first three games, it kinda becomes the “Adventures of Space Rambo”.

The only time the original trilogy had this tone was when Lord Hood, Chief, and the Elites are hanging out, discussing whether or not to go to the Ark. But that was only one scene.

> Adventures of space Rambo

I see what you mean, you don’t get the same feel as you do in the books! No sense of wanting to just survive, as the book emphasises so much!

I have always enjoyed the novels and comics much more then the games, from a story standpoint. I think that is because the games focus more on having fun then story, if that makes sense. Gameplay > story, which is fine, but the novels and comics can focus solely on story. That is my personal preference anyway, as I like the books much better then the games. :slight_smile:

I don’t know how many games are capable of getting as deep into a story as a book can. It’s likely impossible in a FPS game. Pacing, timeframes, all of those considerations really limit the opportunities a game has to tell a deep story.

I really like 343’s approach. Let the games be anchoring points for big events in the universe, highlight some of the established characters’ relationships, then use the books to really deep dive into those characters. It’s an appropriate approach to the different media available.

> 2533274805497312;10:
> I don’t know how many games are capable of getting as deep into a story as a book can. It’s likely impossible in a FPS game. Pacing, timeframes, all of those considerations really limit the opportunities a game has to tell a deep story.
>
> I really like 343’s approach. Let the games be anchoring points for big events in the universe, highlight some of the established characters’ relationships, then use the books to really deep dive into those characters. It’s an appropriate approach to the different media available.

Not an FPS, but I believe that the game Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic had a much better story then the book, Star Wars Revan. Probably better then a lot of the other Star Wars books too.

I believe that Halo could pack a much better story into a game of theirs, FPS, RTS, or really anything if they wanted to. :slight_smile:

For the games, in terms of strength in story, for me it goes.
Halo 4> Halo 2 > ODST > Wars > Reach > Halo 3.

I did like the story for reach, but the plot holes annoyed me so much, and the fact that it bungie wouldn’t fix it, it took 343 to repair the damage done to the lore. And Halo 3 still annoys me to this day. I still have no idea what cortanas solution was, or how the gravemind learnt the location of the ark, or how he even got to the ark as he never went to the portal at voi. Or how the flood got onto installation 04b when the high charity crashed into the ark, and the ring was floating way up in the atmosphere. I’m glad bungie are gone, their story telling has just gotten worse with destiny. 343 are superior. They acknowledge the fiction and the extended universe.

It also annoys me when the multiplayer buffs say Halo 4 is bad. They completely ignore the story aspect of the game :frowning:

Well the thing is. Bungie hasn’t been much in one of actual story in its games. They always wanted to do the, “You are the Main Character” feel. And I always hated that. Even with Noble 6 and the Rookie. Would have loved it if it was their story and not “our” story. Why I enjoy Halo 4 the most. It was the 1st halo game to be Master Chief’s story. Not ours

> 2533274856204101;12:
> For the games, in terms of strength in story, for me it goes.
> Halo 4> Halo 2 > ODST > Wars > Reach > Halo 3.
>
> I did like the story for reach, but the plot holes annoyed me so much, and the fact that it bungie wouldn’t fix it, it took 343 to repair the damage done to the lore. And Halo 3 still annoys me to this day. I still have no idea what cortanas solution was, or how the gravemind learnt the location of the ark, or how he even got to the ark as he never went to the portal at voi. Or how the flood got onto installation 04b when the high charity crashed into the ark, and the ring was floating way up in the atmosphere. I’m glad bungie are gone, their story telling has just gotten worse with destiny. 343 are superior. They acknowledge the fiction and the extended universe.
>
> It also annoys me when the multiplayer buffs say Halo 4 is bad. They completely ignore the story aspect of the game :frowning:

Yeah! All those people who play purely for the multiplayer and say the game is horrible, and they don’t have any consideration for the campaign or any other aspects of the game!

> 2533274882129681;1:
> Does anyone else feel as if the games lack story?
> The games are great, and I have played all the campaigns and like them all, but after reading the books and following up on lore and after listening to Hunt the Truth, I sort of feel that the games lack in story. They focus a lot on being a good FPS but don’t seem to include as much story in as they could. I have read quite a few forums about Hunt the Truth and have found multiple people who seemed to have only played the games and didn’t even know about John’s abduction or hardly any of the halo universe. I don’t think, until the intro of halo 4, that it is even included that he had been abducted as a child?
> My point is, the games are amazing, but after recently reading the books I feel like the game could be even better if it included even more “story”, there is a huge in-depth universe but the game doesn’t include half of the stuff it could. Perhaps some sort of flashback John has, and you get to play as him as a child going through his vigorous training.
> Does anyone feel the same/similar? Or am I asking too much here :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree with you. I agree with you so hard that I wrote a novel, which would bridge the gap a bit between the novels we get and the games we play—343 (and Bungie once upon a time) seem to struggle with lining gameplay missions up with rich story.

So, it’s a story you’d want to play. It’s doable.

https://www.fictionpress.com/s/3208956/1/Halo-Terranova

Let’s all be brutally honest, HALO is at its core an adventure shooter and most have light stories, everything focused on gameplay then story. Halo CE had a story sure but it was light and most had many questions. When they mentioned Reach, that posed a thousand questions and don’t get me started on the forunners. I waited 13 years to see a forunner and lets just say it was not what I was expecting.

now they had given us more story(not a lot, mostly from Easter egg consoles) somewhat to get people to understand the story but to understand a universe this big, everyone will agree you need to read all the books(Harvest, Fall of Reach etc)

> 2533274831586905;15:
> > 2533274882129681;1:
> > Does anyone else feel as if the games lack story?
> > The games are great, and I have played all the campaigns and like them all, but after reading the books and following up on lore and after listening to Hunt the Truth, I sort of feel that the games lack in story. They focus a lot on being a good FPS but don’t seem to include as much story in as they could. I have read quite a few forums about Hunt the Truth and have found multiple people who seemed to have only played the games and didn’t even know about John’s abduction or hardly any of the halo universe. I don’t think, until the intro of halo 4, that it is even included that he had been abducted as a child?
> > My point is, the games are amazing, but after recently reading the books I feel like the game could be even better if it included even more “story”, there is a huge in-depth universe but the game doesn’t include half of the stuff it could. Perhaps some sort of flashback John has, and you get to play as him as a child going through his vigorous training.
> > Does anyone feel the same/similar? Or am I asking too much here :stuck_out_tongue:
>
>
> I agree with you. I agree with you so hard that I wrote a novel, which would bridge the gap a bit between the novels we get and the games we play—343 (and Bungie once upon a time) seem to struggle with lining gameplay missions up with rich story.
>
> So, it’s a story you’d want to play. It’s doable.
>
> https://www.fictionpress.com/s/3208956/1/Halo-Terranova

I am glad you agree! And your novel looks really good and well written, I will give it a read some time!

> 2533274882129681;5:
> > 2533274820441404;4:
> > I can only say that 343 does a way better job in developing lore in-game.
>
>
> I agree! :smiley:

I thought that Bungie did the best with Reach because you get to see the absolute destruction visited upon a world by the covenant, which is why the UNSC fights.

> 2535452623979533;18:
> > 2533274882129681;5:
> > > 2533274820441404;4:
> > > I can only say that 343 does a way better job in developing lore in-game.
> >
> >
> > I agree! :smiley:
>
>
> I thought that Bungie did the best with Reach because you get to see the absolute destruction visited upon a world by the covenant, which is why the UNSC fights.

There are a lot of inconsistencies in Reach. At first, the game could not exist in the same universe as the book, but thankfully 343 fixed a lot of these plot holes.