Halo as a third person shooter

After being an ego shooter a top down shooter and a strategy game I would like to see a Halo third person shooter in the future.
What do you guys think?

Maybe as a future spin-off title, but I really don’t think a shift to third-person will change much.
Besides, third-person can already be experienced through the use of turrets and vehicles.

> 2535437652903765;2:
> Maybe as a future spin-off title, but I really don’t think a shift to third-person will change much.
> Besides, third-person can already be experienced through the use of turrets and vehicles.

Yeah, a future spin-off title was what I was thinking of, too. Should have mentioned that.
Though, you have third person experience through assassinations, turrets and vehicles on the side, i think a pure third person spin-off game could bring in a lot of new and refreshing features.

I feel like making a third person shooter for the sake of making a third person shooter is misguided design. The camera perspective should come as a natural choice after the concept of the game has been determined. The design direction should never be about forcing a game into particular perspective.

For example, a squad-based game where the player can jump between multiple characters would be a third person game because it allows the player to have better awareness of location of the squad mates, which is crucial information for the gameplay concept, not because a third person view is somehow intrinsically cool. Likewise, an RTS is from a bird’s eye view not because a bird’s eye view is an interesting perspective, but because it allows the player to control large armies. The perspective augments the gameplay concept, the gameplay should not cater to a pre-determined perspective.

So, if 343i decides to create a game that benefits from a third person perspective, then so be it. But there is no point in making a third person game just to make a third person game.

> 2533274825830455;4:
> I feel like making a third person shooter for the sake of making a third person shooter is misguided design. The camera perspective should come as a natural choice after the concept of the game has been determined. The design direction should never be about forcing a game into particular perspective.
>
> For example, a squad-based game where the player can jump between multiple characters would be a third person game because it allows the player to have better awareness of location of the squad mates, which is crucial information for the gameplay concept, not because a third person view is somehow intrinsically cool. Likewise, an RTS is from a bird’s eye view not because a bird’s eye view is an interesting perspective, but because it allows the player to control large armies. The perspective augments the gameplay concept, the gameplay should not cater to a pre-determined perspective.
>
> So, if 343i decides to create a game that benefits from a third person perspective, then so be it. But there is no point in making a third person game just to make a third person game.

Agreed. Otherwise you end up with a scenario where a franchise just tries to capitalize on a mechanic just to try and stay relevant or make a quick buck (RE Umbrella Corps, Metal Gear Survive, most movie license games that come out right after a blackbuster, etc.). The inspiration for a game should go beyond any one single mechanic or aspect.
Halo Wars worked because Bungie had an idea for Halo being an RTS game before it was a FPS game, and as a story about space army combat, it naturally lends itself to the RTS platform. Apparently, Ensemble didn’t even design for it to originally be a part of Halo, but Microsoft stepped in (source) and referred them to Bungie. But despite corporate interference, I think Halo Wars worked in part because of pre-existing and natural compatibility.

Absolutely not. That would change so many mechanics of the main game it’s ridiculous to propose it. Halo is first and foremost a first person shooter.

Well, what about 343i saying there are keeping on with Halo for the next… what was it? 25 years?
What else will there be after bringing out Halo Wars 2 as an RTS and Halo 6 as an FPS? A third top-down shooter? Halo 7?
Who thought Halo would work out as an RTS for Console after being a FPS for years? And didn’t people say that Halo is only meant to be a FPS at the time? Refusing to accept that Halo won’t be a pure ego-shooter anymore.
Why can’t Halo as a third-person shooter be as good as Gears of War, Army of Two, Lost Planet, Ghost Recon, …etc. ?
I believe it would work out : )

I don’t really think that would work out all that well. I would rather stay with first person as we know already its successful. If anything I would like to see more first person options like driving a warthog and assassinating.

Maybe in the stealth genre.

I think the main games should remain as first person shooters but I wouldn’t mind a spin off game in third person. But I think it should have a non spartan main character, I don’t know why but I feel like an odst or marine would fit this game style. Or heck even an elite. Let’s let it be a gameye where you play as a sangheili warrior fighting for the arbiter and eliminating pirates that have been attacking damaged sangheili colonies. I suggest sangheili because we need some cool sword battles.

Bad idea.

> 2535437652903765;2:
> Maybe as a future spin-off title, but I really don’t think a shift to third-person will change much.
> Besides, third-person can already be experienced through the use of turrets and vehicles.

Agreed

> 2533274889282194;10:
> I think the main games should remain as first person shooters but I wouldn’t mind a spin off game in third person. But I think it should have a non spartan main character, I don’t know why but I feel like an odst or marine would fit this game style. Or heck even an elite. Let’s let it be a gameye where you play as a sangheili warrior fighting for the arbiter and eliminating pirates that have been attacking damaged sangheili colonies. I suggest sangheili because we need some cool sword battles.

That would be sooo cool, Have you ever heard of seen gameplay of or played Shadow of Mordor if so then you would know of what I am imagining the game you described is like.

I was thinking assassin’s creed style campaign or story with a touch of zelda style controlling. Still doing what ever to keep the halo aspect of course.