Halo and 343 - Where will they go from here?

Let’s make one thing clear first: 343 still has a lot in store for Halo 4. We have an upcoming TU, two more map packs, promise of more playlists, etc., so it still has the potential to steer in a new direction that more people will like. But for now, let’s assume that 343 will keep doing what they’re doing.

What are they doing, exactly? IMO, I believe that they’re trying to make Halo a new experience. Halo has been an amazing franchise since its release 11 years ago, and with the mantle of responsibility (no pun intended) now handed to 343, you definitely can’t expect them to make it an exact copy of a previous game.

But the thing is that many would argue that they tried too hard to make it “new,” to the point that it has become a whole lot LESS like Halo. For some, even to the point of making it like CoD (which I highly disagree with, actually).

Let me get to the point: I’d like this to be a discussion, not so much of what we want, but of what we think is going happen with future Halo games.

What do you think will be seen in Halo 5? Will they return to the simplicity of Halo, or continue to essentially make this game more complex, regarding AA, loadouts, ordnance, etc.? Do you think they will heed the demands of the community?

If you want my personal opinion, I think they’ll turn back toward the direction of the original Halo trilogy, at least to an extent. This is their first game of the franchise, and I think Halo 4 was really, to them, more of an experiment. And after seeing the incredible disappointment with the game, they will try to follow the demands of the community more.

Personally, I really liked Halo 4, but a revert to earlier games would make me even happier.

So what do you think? What direction will 343 steer Halo in?

My predictions? Well, I can hope we get a more simple game. AA’s are bearable, but the Tact. Packages and Supp. Upgrades need to go.

In all don’t know how I feel about the custom loadouts as a whole. Especially with the weapon balance (or lack there of in this game).

I also hope that they will realize that sprint isn’t necessary when you build the maps right. Why put sprint in the game when you are just going to make the maps so huge? It’s not needed with the right map design philosophy.

The campaign will again be stellar. I am sure they will fix the “Go press this, then that, then that, then this” with H5 campaign. It honestly felt like the ODST Mombasa Streets parts. “Open this door, now that one, one more, no a few more”.

But my main hope is that they will bring a competitive skill based visible ranking system. Why not make everyone happy?

Anyways, don’t get me wrong, I actually love this game. I some how see past all the flaws and manage to enjoy it.

Literally for the first time in my life I prefer the CoD MP over a Halo one…

I love Reach… but Halo 4 is a golden turd, tons of production value overall- but they should’ve stuck with the ideas of the guy they had let go of for ‘taking too much risk’ in the development.

COINCIDENTALLY I was originally down for all the ideas that 343i had introduced… like OP and everyone else said: it was an experiment, and not that care all that much about gaming in general I do hope for the sake of 343i that they learned from it.

I don’t know about that. Don’t you think the dissapointment brought on by Reach would steer them in the direction of the older Halo’s if they wanted to take that path? While returning to the classic Halo formula MIGHT bring back some of the players that moved on after Reach, I don’t really see how it would matter to 343 seeing as how they will still make tons of money, regardless of the population size a couple of months in.
While I doubt that they will stop with all these AA’s, sprint, random weapon spawns, etc., some playlists following the classic formula appearing seems likely. There was supposed to be something like that for Halo 4, but we have yet to see it, or get any info.
It seems too late now for them to turn back, so I think that they will continue on the same path as Reach/4 did. Personally, I hope that they don’t. I would have prefered it if Reach and 4 had tried to build on the core gameplay that saw success, rather than change it. I would like Halo 5 either way, just not as much.

Well, their next game will feature master chief no doubt sigh because they will be relying on a poster boy to sell millions of there next console.

Halo is the only semi descent exclusive that people would buy Xbox for and it is starting to die in the -Yoink-. Boring campaign (although multiplayer is good), soundtrack did not live up to any previous halo game and with a encyclopedia of content and stories at their disposal 343 manages to bypass it all and make up their own stories. hmm.

I wish 343 good luck with their ventures because they have a quite large mountain to climb to live up to Bungies halo and they haven’t even strapped on their backpack yet.

I fear that Halo 4 was the final nail in the coffin. I HIGHLY doubt 343 will fix the core problems with this game. Halo Reach was a flop and everyone knows it, but they decided to continue to pursue its failed game design philosophy, and it bit them in the -Yoink-. Unless by some miracle that a TU fixes this game and returns it to classical Halo roots, I won’t really be playing and I won’t buy the next Halo they create.

Well if Halo 4 is any indication, I’d assume we’ll see an even sharper turn towards Call of Duty class-based arcade shooter multiplayer gameplay.

> Well if Halo 4 is any indication, I’d assume we’ll see an even sharper turn towards Call of Duty class-based arcade shooter multiplayer gameplay.

Press > for Pelican Strafing run

“This is their first game of the franchise, and I think Halo 4 was really, to them, more of an experiment.”

I get REAL tired of hearing this^^^. If you pay $60.00 for a video game, it should be finished and not some “experiment”.

> Well, their next game will feature master chief no doubt sigh because they will be relying on a poster boy to sell millions of there next console.
>
> Halo is the only semi descent exclusive that people would buy Xbox for and it is starting to die in the -Yoink!-. Boring campaign (although multiplayer is good), soundtrack did not live up to any previous halo game and with a encyclopedia of content and stories at their disposal 343 manages to bypass it all and make up their own stories. hmm.
>
> I wish 343 good luck with their ventures because they have a quite large mountain to climb to live up to Bungies halo and they haven’t even strapped on their backpack yet.

What about Gears of War? IMO, that’s currently a better franchise.

Down.

> “This is their first game of the franchise, and I think Halo 4 was really, to them, more of an experiment.”
>
>
> I get REAL tired of hearing this^^^. If you pay $60.00 for a video game, it should be finished and not some “experiment”.

I meant “experiment” in the sense that they are trying new things, not stuff that still needs work (even though a lot does). Still, I find it a little funny that a lot of the “new” things they’re trying are ripped directly from CoD with a few tweaks here and there. Like I said, this game isn’t anything like CoD, but it’s not like 343 should being trying to do that.

I still think they’ll fumble around with this “new” stuff for a while, then finally replace it with something a little more popular. That is, if they actually pay attention to more than just all the awards they’re getting for the game.

Believe it or not, I still love this game. There’s just quite a bit to rant about, but there’s enough of that here already. I’m just anticipating what they’ll do about it.

Really, my hopes rest upon making it more original or adding something really new. Like, NEW new. Something we haven’t seen before in FPS games.