Halo 5's UI [How It Should Have Been]

I saw this video on another post, regarding an early UI concept. Given how awful and lacking the current UI is, I can’t understand how 341i could have possible come to the conclusion that it was a good idea to scrap this concept, one that was more like the previous Halos.

Link: Halo 5 Early UI Concept

You can see a dark theme, with neon lights, it was pretty attractive, well organized, and just looked amazing, also it included an excelent carnage report, being able to view medals earned in a match, as well as most used weapon. I mean, this UI concept is everything we want, yet 343i somehow opted for the horrible design we have in the game.

What do you think? Is this concept what you would like to see implemented? Or at least something similar?

I miss Post Game Medals. And I like this Neon look as well.

The entire art team did an awful job on Halo 5, in my opinion they need to can the art and design team and rebuild it. They made ugly armors, skins, and a horrendous UI, it really stained the Halo name.

I liked the beta version better compared to now, I don’t know why they scrapped it, it was so much more detailed.

> 2533274921838152;3:
> The entire art team did an awful job on Halo 5, in my opinion they need to can the art and design team and rebuild it. They made ugly armors, skins, and a horrendous UI, it really stained the Halo name.

I think they kinda wanted to go for a “simpler” look, but they screwed, the concept show on that video had all the elements from previous UIs, and made them better, even the armor view, amor looked scarred, rusted, battle-worn… I don’t know what they were thinking

> 2533274921838152;3:
> The entire art team did an awful job on Halo 5, in my opinion they need to can the art and design team and rebuild it. They made ugly armors, skins, and a horrendous UI, it really stained the Halo name.

The art lead was a former Bungie guy, Vic, one of the very few who transitioned to 343. Have to wonder why he stopped working with 343 in March of 15. Was his work done, was this UI his desire and they scrapped it…? Here’s his linkedIn. https://www.linkedin.com/in/vicdeleon1

Do they even say something about being working on the UI? Any news?

> 2533274808669104;6:
> > 2533274921838152;3:
> > The entire art team did an awful job on Halo 5, in my opinion they need to can the art and design team and rebuild it. They made ugly armors, skins, and a horrendous UI, it really stained the Halo name.
>
>
> The art lead was a former Bungie guy, Vic, one of the very few who transitioned to 343. Have to wonder why he stopped working with 343 in March of 15. Was his work done, was this UI his desire and they scrapped it…? Here’s his linkedIn. https://www.linkedin.com/in/vicdeleon1

They probably wanted to take the art in a different direction (from the classic halo look to this new visual garbage) and so he bailed.

@OP: Yes they stated they are working on UI quite a few times, happy to hear it personally

> 2533274808669104;6:
> > 2533274921838152;3:
> > The entire art team did an awful job on Halo 5, in my opinion they need to can the art and design team and rebuild it. They made ugly armors, skins, and a horrendous UI, it really stained the Halo name.
>
>
> The art lead was a former Bungie guy, Vic, one of the very few who transitioned to 343. Have to wonder why he stopped working with 343 in March of 15. Was his work done, was this UI his desire and they scrapped it…? Here’s his linkedIn. https://www.linkedin.com/in/vicdeleon1

That would be infuriating

> 2533274833830630;7:
> Do they even say something about being working on the UI? Any news?

I’m not sure, imo h5 is so far in I wouldn’t waste time on the UI, we’re already used to it and may as well focus on getting updates on gameplay and variety, I wouldn’t be vs adding it in h5 but like I said, h5 is almost 6 months in now. Hopefully h6 picks up that setup from the video, cuz I’m in love.

> 2533274833830630;9:
> > 2533274808669104;6:
> > > 2533274921838152;3:
> > > The entire art team did an awful job on Halo 5, in my opinion they need to can the art and design team and rebuild it. They made ugly armors, skins, and a horrendous UI, it really stained the Halo name.
> >
> >
> > The art lead was a former Bungie guy, Vic, one of the very few who transitioned to 343. Have to wonder why he stopped working with 343 in March of 15. Was his work done, was this UI his desire and they scrapped it…? Here’s his linkedIn. https://www.linkedin.com/in/vicdeleon1
>
>
> That would be infuriating

Thats how it goes though, one man cant change an entire studio that wants to go a different direction. Throwback to the Martin O’Donnell incident

Oh my god… I’ve been hating the UI since the beginning. The screens at the beginning of the video look soooo much better than what we have. It’s absolutely garbage what Halo 5 UI is right now.

> 2533274923562209;10:
> > 2533274833830630;7:
> > Do they even say something about being working on the UI? Any news?
>
>
> I’m not sure, imo h5 is so far in I wouldn’t waste time on the UI, we’re already used to it and may as well focus on getting updates on gameplay and variety, I wouldn’t be vs adding it in h5 but like I said, h5 is almost 6 months in now. Hopefully h6 picks up that setup from the video, cuz I’m in love.

You have to wonder right? This is the guy who was working back on the original halo 2 environmental art lead, wonder if he saw a direction that works and corporate gave him the finger. That would blow.

> 2533274808669104;13:
> > 2533274923562209;10:
> > > 2533274833830630;7:
> > > Do they even say something about being working on the UI? Any news?
> >
> >
> > I’m not sure, imo h5 is so far in I wouldn’t waste time on the UI, we’re already used to it and may as well focus on getting updates on gameplay and variety, I wouldn’t be vs adding it in h5 but like I said, h5 is almost 6 months in now. Hopefully h6 picks up that setup from the video, cuz I’m in love.
>
>
> You have to wonder right? This is the guy who was working back on the original halo 2 environmental art lead, wonder if he saw a direction that works and corporate gave him the finger. That would blow.

I think most companies do that now. Bungie with Donny, Bioware with EA, 343, gears of war creators, ect ect. They all had (maybe exclude 343) great starts but in this current age of the industry it’s just currupt.

> 2533274923562209;14:
> > 2533274808669104;13:
> > > 2533274923562209;10:
> > > > 2533274833830630;7:
> > > > Do they even say something about being working on the UI? Any news?
> > >
> > >
> > > I’m not sure, imo h5 is so far in I wouldn’t waste time on the UI, we’re already used to it and may as well focus on getting updates on gameplay and variety, I wouldn’t be vs adding it in h5 but like I said, h5 is almost 6 months in now. Hopefully h6 picks up that setup from the video, cuz I’m in love.
> >
> >
> > You have to wonder right? This is the guy who was working back on the original halo 2 environmental art lead, wonder if he saw a direction that works and corporate gave him the finger. That would blow.
>
>
> I think most companies do that now. Bungie with Donny, Bioware with EA, 343, gears of war creators, ect ect. They all had (maybe exclude 343) great starts but in this current age of the industry it’s just currupt.

Sucks man, we keep consuming so its like we perpetuate the problem to a certain extent. The market place usually phases these things out which is why I always advocate a top notch product if halo is on the front of the package. Long term vision over short sighted sales figures.

More of the maker of the ui can be found here
I would buy the game all over again if they added the ui from the beta

Wouldn’t be surprised if we saw this UI with a future update.

The U.I we have felt so rushed. BTW they said they were trying to fix post game medals but they haven’t even done that yet. And we asked that a while ago.

Its crazy that they showed Thorne instead of Buck. I had no idea that Buck wasn’t originally going to be on team Osiris.

This UI and overall theme looks WAYYYYYY better.