Halo 5's Art Direction Hit or Miss?

It is obvious that 343 wanted to do their own thing and change the style of Halo. Personally, I favor the art design of Bungie’s original trilogy of games, with it’s more rough and scarred look of Reach or Halo 3’s semi-realistic look. I think 343’s art direction has of changed to make everything more sleek and simple. I personally, believe Halo is not suited for this change but, I will respect 343’s direction they want to go with going forward. What do you think of Halo 5’s change in art style? I share more of my thoughts later.

I hate it, seems like it is over saturated and that they are catering to little children with all of the bright colours. The rugged, bleek , and militaristic look of Bungie’s Halos looked the best to me.

I would like for the artistic direction to be less Star Trek and more Battlestar Galactica.

> 2533274819896737;2:
> I hate it, seems like it is over saturated and that they are catering to little children with all of the bright colours. The rugged, bleek , and militaristic look of Bungie’s Halos looked the best to me.

Your first sentence exactly describes Halo: CE, and to a lesser extent Halo’s 2 and 3. Your perspective of Bungie’s Halos really only applies to Halo: Reach.

Way too plastic looking, way too bright and dipped in neon. The maps made via forge look like were walking in lego land playing halo. Heck H3 forge had better textures.

I think Bungie had better art design by a long shot. 343 isn’t horrible, industry standard.

Art is where Bungie excelled.

A lot of the textures for objects that should be metal just look like plastic or clay, and there’s a lot of bright non military colors which kind of takes away the whole “space military” feel for me. The Marines in Halo 4 had all sorts of odd color highlights and the armor design was less rigid plates and more soft armor carriers. And while the Halo 5 marines look slightly better they only really appear in Warzone in bright single color uniforms/armor.

Complete miss

I don’t mind it, reach was by far the best though…I like it a lot more than CE, 2, and 4’s art style…tied with H3

I would’ve preferred a mixture of Halo Reach’s art direction with Halo 3’s vibrancy. The direction MJOLNIR design has taken plummeted in quality, and I really do miss the elegance and mystery in Bungie-Forerunner architecture.

I have to say though, the new Covenant vehicle design philosophy is beautiful. I’m loving the lore behind it and shows how the Covenant has evolved.

343 is still a little behind in the special effects department, IMO. I’m waiting for those Bungie-level explosions.

I agree I like a more rugged look and it is indeed plastic as all hell

> 2533274805497312;4:
> > 2533274819896737;2:
> > I hate it, seems like it is over saturated and that they are catering to little children with all of the bright colours. The rugged, bleek , and militaristic look of Bungie’s Halos looked the best to me.
>
>
> Your first sentence exactly describes Halo: CE, and to a lesser extent Halo’s 2 and 3. Your perspective of Bungie’s Halos really only applies to Halo: Reach.

While Combat Evolved was definitely vibrant, it also had a lot of areas that were more bleak. Anybody remember the Forerunner structures in Silent Cartographer, 343 Guilty Spark, and The Library?

I would describe the older games, especially CE, as taking a lot of influences from the Alien franchise. And it was memorable because of that. Now, it doesn’t look as memorable.

Halo 1 and 2/2A are the best looking games in the series thus far with clean crisp detail, juicy saturated colors, and a higher Sci-Fi art direction. The less is more, simple shapes idea of everything sort of makes Halo more amazing visually and mechanically.

I I feel like 3, ODST, and reach got hung up on too much clutter in details. They also lost the beautiful colors for a desaturated tone that ruined the sci-fi aesthetic. Gritty realism ruined Halo’s core visual mechanic. I don’t play these games to feel like it’s real, I play them to escape reality for a while.

Halo 4’s armor is technically more realistic as far as movement and design, but the shapes it has biult over the initial form is very Sci-fi. A lot of it has clean simple shapes in a fantasy aesthetic but works mechanically the way it is drawn over a model. However the sound and other visuals lost all the sci-fi for more gross realism that just sours the experience Halo is known for. All the guns and vehicles lost what makes Halo “HALO” after halo 2.

Outside of small exceptions like the brute chopper in 3, everything has had gritty gross stupid ugly realism until 4 and 5, and even then there’s a lot of problems like the desaturated colors, horrible gun/ vehicle designs, terribly boring sound design and overall bad music.

Anyway, that’s my 2 cents on the matter.

Definitely a miss. The over saturated colors, uncouth Mjolnir designs, and colored undersuits make the Spartans look like sports players vs soldiers.

I definitely liked Reach’s art style better. Heck, at least Halo 4 wasn’t ridiculously saturated.

Reach artstyle is the best in my opinion. Loved the grim, battleworn look. Why would a solider be announcing themselves with vibrant, loud colors? Why the hell would they be pretending to be a unicorn (looking at you, Fotus)?

I’m not a fan of 343’s art at all. IMO the original trilogy was what all future Halo art should be derived from.

Covenant designs look absolutely horrible. Why they changed the sangheili is beyond me. They had a noble, warrior type look in Halo 2A which suited them well while they had a lethal, intimidating, and alien feel to them in reach. In Halo 4 and 5, they look like a bunch of ugly idiots who are as competent as stormtroopers. In regards to the map aesthetics themselves, there is barely any texture to the environments and feels like I’m walking on plastic.
Don’t even get me started on the armor customization

Not ugly, but not preferred either.

Modern style is presenting a sci-fi world in the most uninspired and cliche way possible. Just make everything super shiny with flashing lights spammed all over. It’s a direct downgrade to the much more creative original style.

You had familiar feeling Marines fighting against a super stylized alien race to really hammer in how different the two factions are. You fought them in imposing and abandoned structures that carried some elegance to them, almost as if they were designed for religious purpose. Which makes sense given the kind of enemy you were faced with. It presents you with an immersive sci-fi world without relying on all the various sci-fi cliches.

That’s not even mentioning all the racing stripes, pizza and sport skins, wonky armor, etc. they’ve recently shoved into the franchise.

It’s, meh… it’s not bad, but it feels like it should look a bit more realistic to me.

Halo 5 has very generic modern sci fi art, it feels very predictable and unimaginative in my opinion.