Halo 5 was so great with its unique ADS effects

Were they unpopular or something? I only played Halo 5’s campaign, and I loved all the new special ADS effects that weapons had, especially the Forerunner ones. What happened to all of that?

21 Likes

Agreed. I thought they looked cool too, I think they were just going with a more simple look and design this time around

5 Likes

ADS is one of the reasons people don’t like Halo 5

22 Likes

Most older halo fans hated it. Not so much the visuals but the actual accuracy buffs that were associated with ADS. 343 pleased the majority by mostly removing the accuracy buffs for any weapons that can ADS

10 Likes

More or less. ADS was seen as more of a twitch shooter mechanic and functioned in a similar fashion in this specific title. Giving the player tighter groupings, better range, etc.

Unlike previous iterations of Halo’s ‘scoping’/smartlink which simple enhanced magnification and/or enabled lock on, this one functioned far more like Call of Duty/Battlefield’s style of ADS which improved shot performance.

The primary weapon ‘variants’ also received minuscule benefits from using the attachments in Warzone and weren’t totally cosmetic in nature, which also furthered the twitch shooter vibe.

As much as I despised Halo 5, there are some things about it that I can’t totally hate on. Loathed the ADS mechanic, but 343 did make it look cool.

8 Likes

they were very unpopular. you had to wait for a brief animation, scopes took up a huge chunk of your screen, and just aesthetically its not the right fit for halo.

5 Likes

Because other than forge and custom games browser, Guardians had nothing good about it .

3 Likes

Okay but they still have it in Infinite, so they might as well make it stylish again.

3 Likes

both are different. H5 has ads+smart scope. Infinite only has smart scope which just zooms in. It doesnt ads like h5

5 Likes

Actually, Halo 5 was so great all around really. Better than Infinite in every aspect. I’m so glad H5 was my first Halo game.

5 Likes

Yeah, all of it is super cool. Very asthetically pleasing. Idk why people don’t like it. You can easily make a BR with classic aim and a different weapon with ads properties similar to Halo 5. But remember the reticle you aimed with was still your helmet overlay. It’s not your traditional ads

3 Likes

All that changed was the red reticle range. Your gun didn’t get more accurate but the the spread on certain guns were tighter. This is a non issue and Halo 5 played just fine with it.

3 Likes

It wasn’t a non issue though, that was the primary reason ADS/Smartlink was disliked.

It wasn’t simply a reskin of previous smart link RRR that extended the range of bullet magnetism but designed to work with the advanced movement mechanics to tighten spread thus improving precision like it does in other twitch shooters Halo 5 attempted to emulate.

Halo 5 played fine with it as it wasn’t a poorly designed or mishandled gameplay loop, you’re correct on that, however it sacrificed mechanics that made Halo what it was in the process favoring more popular approaches to existing mechanics. This didn’t sit well with a good portion of the playerbase.

5 Likes

As AscendHyperion put it, eventually the Halo fanbase that grew up with Halo 5 as their first title will influence the franchise moving forward at some point.

You’ll get your Halo 5 legacy, but not before the classic fans are done with their own.

1 Like

H5 was awesome the shooting felt great i didn’t lose aim assist when i jumped or popped shields and husky raid is a god tier gametype

4 Likes

This reminds me of one of the reasons I didn’t like Halo 5, because quality zoom was replaced by poor ADS, which gave little benefit other than visual effect. Infinite did get something right, to an extent, and that was creating zoom effects rather than ADS. I will still criticize how the Sidekick has no beneficial zoom, and there really should be a scope like Halo 3 introduced.

4 Likes

The problem with the “ADS effects” was it wasn’t just “ADS effects”
It was ADS and it was almost universally hated

5 Likes

Halo 5 was very unpopular and it still is unpopular today

3 Likes

You do know this is inaccurate right?
You got boost to RRR
Increase of accuracy
decrease in bullet spread
and automatics recieved a headshot multiplier

This is why it was hated not becuase of some reticule change

4 Likes

I hated the look of the zooming animation in Halo 5. It was very non Halo. One of the reasons I always prefer Halo over any other shooter was it had no ads style animation, no joke! Halo 5 was the worst, especially the pistol. You zoom in and it covers up 3/4 of your target! Like, what the hell?!?!? I thought zooming in was supposed to help you see your target not cover it up :laughing: it was terrible! And I never once heard anyone complain about pass zooming look.

I am SUPER glad That halo infinite went back to the old style look/animation. Now if they wanted to they could add information on the sides like distance to target, What the target is, their shield level (If they have any) or whatever… Think iron Man are Terminator when they zoom in, but I am definitely fine with how it looks and infinite. It also sets itself apart from all these other shooters on the market like cod and battlefield.

The ADS style zoom animation was the worst! Glad it’s gone :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes