Halo 5 was not incomplete at launch

Now what I mean by that title is that at launch, Halo 5 had a lot to offer. The Halo franchise has always been known for it’s incredible amount of content in addition to the core game. I am not blind to the fact that several features were missing that were available at launch in previous installments.

Here’s my point: Take a look at most modern games, even bestsellers, and the amount of content they offer. Titanfall, Rainbow 6 and Overwatch don’t even have campaigns for crying out loud! Halo 5 Launch crushes them content wise.

More is expected out of Halo than just about any other game. Now I am not advocating for us to lower our expectations, but temper them with relativism to other franchises. For example, How many games actually offer theater? That mode alone is a gigantic feature. And Forge?! That could damn near be a standalone game! All for $60?!?! If you factor for inflation from 2007’s Halo 3, in today’s money it would be $70, which means that Bungie’s budget was (roughly) 17% larger per unit than Halo 5’s. (Yes, I know it’s not necessarily linear but the principal stands).

Also consider modern expectations on visual fidelity. Halo 3 would flatline in today’s market. The higher quality visuals, the more resources required to develop the game.

When these factors are taken into consideration, the claim that Halo 5 was unfinished or lacking content is just plain silly.

NOTE: I didn’t mean to post a deceptive title, but you all know about that pesky 50 character limit.

I think they were counting on Warzone to satisfy the demands of more “casual” players at launch, while arena slayer mode could do the rest.

> 2533274904158628;2:
> I think they were counting on Warzone to satisfy the demands of more “casual” players at launch, while arena slayer mode could do the rest.

Worked for me. It was a smart strategy to delay Big Team Battle in order to encourage more players to get into warzone. And from what I understand, currently BTB is a ghost town and Warzone has the highest population of all modes.

This thread probably would have blown up if you posted it in the Halo 5 forum.

> 2533274919794518;3:
> > 2533274904158628;2:
> > I think they were counting on Warzone to satisfy the demands of more “casual” players at launch, while arena slayer mode could do the rest.
>
>
> Worked for me. It was a smart strategy to delay Big Team Battle in order to encourage more players to get into warzone. And from what I understand, currently BTB is a ghost town and Warzone has the highest population of all modes.

Because they have horrible non dev maps

> 2533274919794518;1:
> Now what I mean by that title is that at launch, Halo 5 had a lot to offer. The Halo franchise has always been known for it’s incredible amount of content in addition to the core game. I am not blind to the fact that several features were missing that were available at launch in previous installments.
>
> Here’s my point: Take a look at most modern games, even bestsellers, and the amount of content they offer. Titanfall, Rainbow 6 and Overwatch don’t even have campaigns for crying out loud! Halo 5 Launch crushes them content wise.
>
> More is expected out of Halo than just about any other game. Now I am not advocating for us to lower our expectations, but temper them with relativism to other franchises. For example, How many games actually offer theater? That mode alone is a gigantic feature. And Forge?! That could damn near be a standalone game! All for $60?!?! If you factor for inflation from 2007’s Halo 3, in today’s money it would be $70, which means that Bungie’s budget was (roughly) 17% larger per unit than Halo 5’s. (Yes, I know it’s not necessarily linear but the principal stands).
>
> Also consider modern expectations on visual fidelity. Halo 3 would flatline in today’s market. The higher quality visuals, the more resources required to develop the game.
>
> When these factors are taken into consideration, the claim that Halo 5 was unfinished or lacking content is just plain silly.
>
> NOTE: I didn’t mean to post a deceptive title, but you all know about that pesky 50 character limit.

So because other games had even less content then halo 5 that excuses halo 5’s train wreck content? That’s a horrible way to look at it

What i get from this is that, because other games had less content, it’s ok for Halo 5 to have low amounts of content as long as it is a little more than it’s competitors? Maybe from a business stand point, but from a consumer stand point and comparing to past Halo games, we have every right to expect more content. The game would make much more money if it actually put out more content. If everything we have now, which most of which was already in past Halo games (Forge, Firefight, Infection, BTB, Griffball etc) then why is it so hard to have these things at launch if they know the community expects and wants them. The reason is they used Free DLC to cut base content and to give it back to the community to justify Microtransactions.

Your point rests upon comparing Halo 5 to other titles’ launches. I disagree, mainly because I don’t play too many other big titles. I could care less about Overwatch, rainbow 6, or Titanfall. Many fans find them fun, but I expect a little more content out of my games. Halo 5 has done good on updating that content in for free, but launch time was a miserable time to play.

Halo 5 launched with 5 gametypes (slayer, ctf, strongholds, breakout, and Warzone) same amount as Halo CE’s 5 (Slayer, ctf, odd ball, KoTH, race) core modes which comes off as bummer to anyone who played a Halo title before H5.

The campaign was estimated to be about 15 hours on normal, but I beat in 10 on legendary. It was difficult, but short.

Excluding forge maps H5 launched with 8 (Rig, plaza, Eden, empire, truth, regret, fathom, coliseum) arena maps and 3 Warzone maps for a total of 11 unique play spaces, compared to Halo CE’s 13.

I understand that the H5 engine cannot import gametypes from previous titles, and I have been enjoying the content being added in for free. I’m expecting H6 to launch with more or less the same amount of content H5 has now than it did at launch.

> 2533274919794518;1:
> Now what I mean by that title is that at launch, Halo 5 had a lot to offer. The Halo franchise has always been known for it’s incredible amount of content in addition to the core game. I am not blind to the fact that several features were missing that were available at launch in previous installments.
>
> Here’s my point: Take a look at most modern games, even bestsellers, and the amount of content they offer. Titanfall, Rainbow 6 and Overwatch don’t even have campaigns for crying out loud! Halo 5 Launch crushes them content wise.
>
> More is expected out of Halo than just about any other game. Now I am not advocating for us to lower our expectations, but temper them with relativism to other franchises. For example, How many games actually offer theater? That mode alone is a gigantic feature. And Forge?! That could damn near be a standalone game! All for $60?!?! If you factor for inflation from 2007’s Halo 3, in today’s money it would be $70, which means that Bungie’s budget was (roughly) 17% larger per unit than Halo 5’s. (Yes, I know it’s not necessarily linear but the principal stands).
>
> Also consider modern expectations on visual fidelity. Halo 3 would flatline in today’s market. The higher quality visuals, the more resources required to develop the game.
>
> When these factors are taken into consideration, the claim that Halo 5 was unfinished or lacking content is just plain silly.
>
> NOTE: I didn’t mean to post a deceptive title, but you all know about that pesky 50 character limit.

So you mean, when everyone shows low content 343 can do that too?
Halo was until Halo 4 a badass franchise.

Now we have more or less a 2-group community and the one side hate the other side.

> 2533274904158628;4:
> This thread probably would have blown up if you posted it in the Halo 5 forum.

Crap, I thought I did.

It was incomplete by the standards set by its predecessors, without that to consider you could argue it was complete. But that isn’t the case it was incomplete and 343i even acknowledged this. Just because other developers are intentionally squeezing the most dollars for the least content does not not make it right.

> 2533274830166194;6:
> > 2533274919794518;1:
> >
>
>
> So because other games had even less content then halo 5 that excuses halo 5’s train wreck content? That’s a horrible way to look at it

It’s just realistic.

I don’t mean to be prejudicial toward the typical waypointer, but if I had to guess I’d say that they’re mostly teenagers, maybe kids in their early twenties, whose experiences of earning money through work and then paying bills with that money is necessarily pretty limited. They seem to believe that rich companies like Microsoft can command their chattel, such as 343, to produce anything at all without regard to any sort of economic reality that a working adult would readily recognize. So just as these kids’ concepts of the value of money are suspect so too are their rantings and ravings about how 343 screwed them on content with Halo 5. The OP is 100% on target with his observations.

> 2533274904158628;2:
> I think they were counting on Warzone to satisfy the demands of more “casual” players at launch, while arena slayer mode could do the rest.

WarZone and Casual? :smiley: I have to laught hard and die now from a hearth attack

> 2533274873843883;12:
> > 2533274830166194;6:
> > > 2533274919794518;1:
> > >
> >
> >
> > So because other games had even less content then halo 5 that excuses halo 5’s train wreck content? That’s a horrible way to look at it
>
>
> It’s just realistic.
>
> I don’t mean to be prejudicial toward the typical waypointer, but if I had to guess I’d say that they’re mostly teenagers, maybe kids in their early twenties, whose experiences of earning money through work and then paying bills with that money is necessarily pretty limited. They seem to believe that rich companies like Microsoft can command their chattel, such as 343, to produce anything at all without regard to any sort of economic reality that a working adult would readily recognize. So just as these kids’ concepts of the value of money are suspect so too are their rantings and ravings about how 343 screwed them on content with Halo 5. The OP is 100% on target with his observations.

If they could give us more content on a worse engine with technology 10 years ago why cant they now? 343i is lazy. I make pizza for a living, if we got a new oven then being a little bit slower or burning a few pizzas would be acceptable for the first one or two days only. The op is saying that because the other devs are dropping content and charging more with micro transactions than that makes it welcome in halo. Do you want that?

> 2533274919794518;1:
>
>
>
>
>

If I go to a local restaurant and order the same breakfast every Sunday for a year. 3 strips of bacon, hash browns, two eggs, and two pieces of toast. I pay the same amount for the meal every time. Now this last Sunday, I went in and asked for my normal breakfast and paid my normal amount and there was no toast, 1 egg, and 1 strip of bacon and no hash browns. I ask what is going on? There was no sign saying the rest of the meal wasn’t included anymore or the price hadn’t changed…and the cook tells me that the other restaurants in town don’t even offer eggs. Should I be upset? Do I as a regular customer have a right to be informed that certain aspects aren’t going to come with the price of the meal anymore? Do I have a right complain that the meal I received is less the what I expected to get for my money? Your answer should be the same as it is when it comes to the Halo 5 content.

The Halo games are the same way. Every game until Halo 4 had more content then the one before it. Halo 5 didn’t even come close to the Halo 4 content at launch. We weren’t informed that was going to be the case. No one said that, “oh by the way KOTH would never come.” or “Infection will be along in a few months.” “Sorry you only start with 6 game types (Strongholds, Breakout, CTF, Slayer, WZ, WZA.)” Now people are right to complain about that. If we’d been told in advance (well in advance since I and a lot of people preordered) maybe we could’ve made an informed decision as it is I paid the same amount for the game, expected an equivalent amount of content (Maybe they can substitute sausage for the bacon, but I paid for one or the other.)

It doesn’t matter what any other games did. That is between them and their communities. If they’ve chosen not to stand up and speak out or keep buying games that don’t have sufficient content to warrant the money spent that is their mistake. Take doom for example. I wanted to play it. I like the franchise, but I know that I won’t ever touch the multi-player. It wasn’t worth 60 dollars to me, so I didn’t get it until I could get it for 30.

> 2533274880633045;15:
> > 2533274919794518;1:
> > Now what I mean by that title is that at launch, Halo 5 had a lot to offer. The Halo franchise has always been known for it’s incredible amount of content in addition to the core game. I am not blind to the fact that several features were missing that were available at launch in previous installments.
> >
> > Here’s my point: Take a look at most modern games, even bestsellers, and the amount of content they offer. Titanfall, Rainbow 6 and Overwatch don’t even have campaigns for crying out loud! Halo 5 Launch crushes them content wise.
> >
> > More is expected out of Halo than just about any other game. Now I am not advocating for us to lower our expectations, but temper them with relativism to other franchises. For example, How many games actually offer theater? That mode alone is a gigantic feature. And Forge?! That could damn near be a standalone game! All for $60?!?! If you factor for inflation from 2007’s Halo 3, in today’s money it would be $70, which means that Bungie’s budget was (roughly) 17% larger per unit than Halo 5’s. (Yes, I know it’s not necessarily linear but the principal stands).
> >
> > Also consider modern expectations on visual fidelity. Halo 3 would flatline in today’s market. The higher quality visuals, the more resources required to develop the game.
> >
> > When these factors are taken into consideration, the claim that Halo 5 was unfinished or lacking content is just plain silly.
> >
> > NOTE: I didn’t mean to post a deceptive title, but you all know about that pesky 50 character limit.
>
>
> If I go to a local restaurant and order the same breakfast every Sunday for a year. 3 strips of bacon, hash browns, two eggs, and two pieces of toast. I pay the same amount for the meal every time. Now this last Sunday, I went in and asked for my normal breakfast and paid my normal amount and there was no toast, 1 egg, and 1 strip of bacon and no hash browns. I ask what is going on? There was no sign saying the rest of the meal wasn’t included anymore or the price hadn’t changed…and the cook tells me that the other restaurants in town don’t even offer eggs. Should I be upset? Do I as a regular customer have a right to be informed that certain aspects aren’t going to come with the price of the meal anymore? Do I have a right complain that the meal I received is less the what I expected to get for my money? Your answer should be the same as it is when it comes to the Halo 5 content.
>
> The Halo games are the same way. Every game until Halo 4 had more content then the one before it. Halo 5 didn’t even come close to the Halo 4 content at launch. We weren’t informed that was going to be the case. No one said that, “oh by the way KOTH would never come.” or “Infection will be along in a few months.” “Sorry you only start with 6 game types (Strongholds, Breakout, CTF, Slayer, WZ, WZA.)” Now people are right to complain about that. If we’d been told in advance (well in advance since I and a lot of people preordered) maybe we could’ve made an informed decision as it is I paid the same amount for the game, expected an equivalent amount of content (Maybe they can substitute sausage for the bacon, but I paid for one or the other.)
>
> It doesn’t matter what any other games did. That is between them and their communities. If they’ve chosen not to stand up and speak out or keep buying games that don’t have sufficient content to warrant the money spent that is their mistake. Take doom for example. I wanted to play it. I like the franchise, but I know that I won’t ever touch the multi-player. It wasn’t worth 60 dollars to me, so I didn’t get it until I could get it for 30.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

> 2533274880633045;15:
> > 2533274919794518;1:
> > Now what I mean by that title is that at launch, Halo 5 had a lot to offer. The Halo franchise has always been known for it’s incredible amount of content in addition to the core game. I am not blind to the fact that several features were missing that were available at launch in previous installments.
> >
> > Here’s my point: Take a look at most modern games, even bestsellers, and the amount of content they offer. Titanfall, Rainbow 6 and Overwatch don’t even have campaigns for crying out loud! Halo 5 Launch crushes them content wise.
> >
> > More is expected out of Halo than just about any other game. Now I am not advocating for us to lower our expectations, but temper them with relativism to other franchises. For example, How many games actually offer theater? That mode alone is a gigantic feature. And Forge?! That could damn near be a standalone game! All for $60?!?! If you factor for inflation from 2007’s Halo 3, in today’s money it would be $70, which means that Bungie’s budget was (roughly) 17% larger per unit than Halo 5’s. (Yes, I know it’s not necessarily linear but the principal stands).
> >
> > Also consider modern expectations on visual fidelity. Halo 3 would flatline in today’s market. The higher quality visuals, the more resources required to develop the game.
> >
> > When these factors are taken into consideration, the claim that Halo 5 was unfinished or lacking content is just plain silly.
> >
> > NOTE: I didn’t mean to post a deceptive title, but you all know about that pesky 50 character limit.
>
>
> If I go to a local restaurant and order the same breakfast every Sunday for a year. 3 strips of bacon, hash browns, two eggs, and two pieces of toast. I pay the same amount for the meal every time. Now this last Sunday, I went in and asked for my normal breakfast and paid my normal amount and there was no toast, 1 egg, and 1 strip of bacon and no hash browns. I ask what is going on? There was no sign saying the rest of the meal wasn’t included anymore or the price hadn’t changed…and the cook tells me that the other restaurants in town don’t even offer eggs. Should I be upset? Do I as a regular customer have a right to be informed that certain aspects aren’t going to come with the price of the meal anymore? Do I have a right complain that the meal I received is less the what I expected to get for my money? Your answer should be the same as it is when it comes to the Halo 5 content.
>
> The Halo games are the same way. Every game until Halo 4 had more content then the one before it. Halo 5 didn’t even come close to the Halo 4 content at launch. We weren’t informed that was going to be the case. No one said that, “oh by the way KOTH would never come.” or “Infection will be along in a few months.” “Sorry you only start with 6 game types (Strongholds, Breakout, CTF, Slayer, WZ, WZA.)” Now people are right to complain about that. If we’d been told in advance (well in advance since I and a lot of people preordered) maybe we could’ve made an informed decision as it is I paid the same amount for the game, expected an equivalent amount of content (Maybe they can substitute sausage for the bacon, but I paid for one or the other.)
>
> It doesn’t matter what any other games did. That is between them and their communities. If they’ve chosen not to stand up and speak out or keep buying games that don’t have sufficient content to warrant the money spent that is their mistake. Take doom for example. I wanted to play it. I like the franchise, but I know that I won’t ever touch the multi-player. It wasn’t worth 60 dollars to me, so I didn’t get it until I could get it for 30.

Here’s a little more realistic version of your scenario:

You’ve been getting the same meal for years. But as the market has grown, you have increased your expectations. You don’t want stale, gmo eggs, but organic, free range eggs. You are no longer satisfied with thin, nitrate filled bacon, you prefer preservative free thick sliced Applewood bacon.

Your server tells you that whilst it’s still bacon and eggs, the ingredients they serve are now much higher quality than the mass produced, cheap gmo foods they used to serve. Your server goes on to inform you about basic economics, and what inflation is, and how that means that your dollar will not have as much purchasing power as it used to have, and therefore if they are to maintain constant prices, they must reduce the quantity served. You get confused, yell at the server, and leave a bad Yelp review.

Monetary Inflation is real, no matter what your unintelligent college friends say. Check out Consumer Price Index. Also, like going from lower quality gmo foods to natural higher quality foods, there is more cost involved producing games with higher visual fidelity. You are simply nuts if you think you can provide a game with as much content as Halo 3, with advanced graphics for the same price.

> 2535447070611250;14:
> > 2533274873843883;12:
> > > 2533274830166194;6:
> > > > 2533274919794518;1:
> > > >
>
>
> If they could give us more content on a worse engine with technology 10 years ago why cant they now?

Where do I even start?

Do you think no one at 343 has had a raise in ten years? Do you think the cost of their healthcare has not gone up in ten years? Do you think 343 employs fewer people now than it did ten years ago? This isn’t about technology, although I’m pretty sure that building a new game on an entirely new engine for an entirely new console did require them to shift some focus away from content to just getting it all up and running, but that’s a discussion for a programmer.

The point is: stuff gets more expensive over time. Inflation. Specifically, video games get more expensive to make. Triple-A games, I’d wager, get exponentially more expensive to make. And you know what doesn’t change? The price. So please, do the math in your head here. Costs go up, price stays the same. And they are, as I’m so annoyed at having to constantly remind people, a business. Not a charity. Of course I don’t love microtransactions. No, for the record, I have not spent one thin dime on them. But neither you nor I are in any position to deny them the ability to make a living (or, if you prefer the more accurate description, the ability to keep their jobs by fulfilling their obligations to their shareholders). Complaining about them is like complaining about rain while still demanding to eat the food that grows because of it.

> 2533274919794518;17:
> > 2533274880633045;15:
> > > 2533274919794518;1:
> > > Now what I mean by that title is that at launch, Halo 5 had a lot to offer. The Halo franchise has always been known for it’s incredible amount of content in addition to the core game. I am not blind to the fact that several features were missing that were available at launch in previous installments.
> > >
> > > Here’s my point: Take a look at most modern games, even bestsellers, and the amount of content they offer. Titanfall, Rainbow 6 and Overwatch don’t even have campaigns for crying out loud! Halo 5 Launch crushes them content wise.
> > >
> > > More is expected out of Halo than just about any other game. Now I am not advocating for us to lower our expectations, but temper them with relativism to other franchises. For example, How many games actually offer theater? That mode alone is a gigantic feature. And Forge?! That could damn near be a standalone game! All for $60?!?! If you factor for inflation from 2007’s Halo 3, in today’s money it would be $70, which means that Bungie’s budget was (roughly) 17% larger per unit than Halo 5’s. (Yes, I know it’s not necessarily linear but the principal stands).
> > >
> > > Also consider modern expectations on visual fidelity. Halo 3 would flatline in today’s market. The higher quality visuals, the more resources required to develop the game.
> > >
> > > When these factors are taken into consideration, the claim that Halo 5 was unfinished or lacking content is just plain silly.
> > >
> > > NOTE: I didn’t mean to post a deceptive title, but you all know about that pesky 50 character limit.
> >
> >
> > If I go to a local restaurant and order the same breakfast every Sunday for a year. 3 strips of bacon, hash browns, two eggs, and two pieces of toast. I pay the same amount for the meal every time. Now this last Sunday, I went in and asked for my normal breakfast and paid my normal amount and there was no toast, 1 egg, and 1 strip of bacon and no hash browns. I ask what is going on? There was no sign saying the rest of the meal wasn’t included anymore or the price hadn’t changed…and the cook tells me that the other restaurants in town don’t even offer eggs. Should I be upset? Do I as a regular customer have a right to be informed that certain aspects aren’t going to come with the price of the meal anymore? Do I have a right complain that the meal I received is less the what I expected to get for my money? Your answer should be the same as it is when it comes to the Halo 5 content.
> >
> > The Halo games are the same way. Every game until Halo 4 had more content then the one before it. Halo 5 didn’t even come close to the Halo 4 content at launch. We weren’t informed that was going to be the case. No one said that, “oh by the way KOTH would never come.” or “Infection will be along in a few months.” “Sorry you only start with 6 game types (Strongholds, Breakout, CTF, Slayer, WZ, WZA.)” Now people are right to complain about that. If we’d been told in advance (well in advance since I and a lot of people preordered) maybe we could’ve made an informed decision as it is I paid the same amount for the game, expected an equivalent amount of content (Maybe they can substitute sausage for the bacon, but I paid for one or the other.)
> >
> > It doesn’t matter what any other games did. That is between them and their communities. If they’ve chosen not to stand up and speak out or keep buying games that don’t have sufficient content to warrant the money spent that is their mistake. Take doom for example. I wanted to play it. I like the franchise, but I know that I won’t ever touch the multi-player. It wasn’t worth 60 dollars to me, so I didn’t get it until I could get it for 30.
>
>
> Here’s a little more realistic version of your scenario:
>
> You’ve been getting the same meal for years. But as the market has grown, you have increased your expectations. You don’t want stale, gmo eggs, but organic, free range eggs. You are no longer satisfied with thin, nitrate filled bacon, you prefer preservative free thick sliced Applewood bacon.
>
> Your server tells you that whilst it’s still bacon and eggs, the ingredients they serve are now much higher quality than the mass produced, cheap gmo foods they used to serve. Your server goes on to inform you about basic economics, and what inflation is, and how that means that your dollar will not have as much purchasing power as it used to have, and therefore if they are to maintain constant prices, they must reduce the quantity served. You get confused, yell at the server, and leave a bad Yelp review.
>
> Monetary Inflation is real, no matter what your unintelligent college friends say. Check out Consumer Price Index. Also, like going from lower quality gmo foods to natural higher quality foods, there is more cost involved producing games with higher visual fidelity. You are simply nuts if you think you can provide a game with as much content as Halo 3, with advanced graphics for the same price.

Again regardless of the cost there is a duty to inform the consumer. If my local restaurant starts advertising a drop in content or ‘going organic (yeah, don’t buy into that -Yoink- and no sane person should)’ than I have the option of not going. There is a duty to inform the customer. There is a duty to let people know that there has been a change in the menu. You don’t get to just change things without notifying the consumer. Is the 60 dollars I paid in 2007 (Actually 70, but that is another story) worth more in equivalent currency today? Yes 70 dollars. Actually looking at the inflation rates, before you try to use them to support your argument might have helped you. If they want to charge 70 dollars for the game up front and have the content expected from a Halo game I’d be okay with that. Not launching with Key game types and features (Forge, a timer on campaign, Koth, Infection, FF, etc.) without informing the consumer with enough time for them to alter their purchase decisions was inexcusable and remains a major mistake.

When you have a standard of service and change it without proper notification. It is your fault when people get upset.

KOTH, VIP, Juggernaut, and Oddball in matchmaking. Social skirmish and slayer along with Action Sack as permanent playlists and I’ll be able to say I got what I paid for in the end. Until then, yes…I will complain as I have every right too.

> 2533274880633045;19:
> > 2533274919794518;17:
> > > 2533274880633045;15:
> > > > 2533274919794518;1:
> > > > Now what I mean by that title is that at launch, Halo 5 had a lot to offer. The Halo franchise has always been known for it’s incredible amount of content in addition to the core game. I am not blind to the fact that several features were missing that were available at launch in previous installments.
> > > >
> > > > Here’s my point: Take a look at most modern games, even bestsellers, and the amount of content they offer. Titanfall, Rainbow 6 and Overwatch don’t even have campaigns for crying out loud! Halo 5 Launch crushes them content wise.
> > > >
> > > > More is expected out of Halo than just about any other game. Now I am not advocating for us to lower our expectations, but temper them with relativism to other franchises. For example, How many games actually offer theater? That mode alone is a gigantic feature. And Forge?! That could damn near be a standalone game! All for $60?!?! If you factor for inflation from 2007’s Halo 3, in today’s money it would be $70, which means that Bungie’s budget was (roughly) 17% larger per unit than Halo 5’s. (Yes, I know it’s not necessarily linear but the principal stands).
> > > >
> > > > Also consider modern expectations on visual fidelity. Halo 3 would flatline in today’s market. The higher quality visuals, the more resources required to develop the game.
> > > >
> > > > When these factors are taken into consideration, the claim that Halo 5 was unfinished or lacking content is just plain silly.
> > > >
> > > > NOTE: I didn’t mean to post a deceptive title, but you all know about that pesky 50 character limit.
> > >
> > >
> > > If I go to a local restaurant and order the same breakfast every Sunday for a year. 3 strips of bacon, hash browns, two eggs, and two pieces of toast. I pay the same amount for the meal every time. Now this last Sunday, I went in and asked for my normal breakfast and paid my normal amount and there was no toast, 1 egg, and 1 strip of bacon and no hash browns. I ask what is going on? There was no sign saying the rest of the meal wasn’t included anymore or the price hadn’t changed…and the cook tells me that the other restaurants in town don’t even offer eggs. Should I be upset? Do I as a regular customer have a right to be informed that certain aspects aren’t going to come with the price of the meal anymore? Do I have a right complain that the meal I received is less the what I expected to get for my money? Your answer should be the same as it is when it comes to the Halo 5 content.
> > >
> > > The Halo games are the same way. Every game until Halo 4 had more content then the one before it. Halo 5 didn’t even come close to the Halo 4 content at launch. We weren’t informed that was going to be the case. No one said that, “oh by the way KOTH would never come.” or “Infection will be along in a few months.” “Sorry you only start with 6 game types (Strongholds, Breakout, CTF, Slayer, WZ, WZA.)” Now people are right to complain about that. If we’d been told in advance (well in advance since I and a lot of people preordered) maybe we could’ve made an informed decision as it is I paid the same amount for the game, expected an equivalent amount of content (Maybe they can substitute sausage for the bacon, but I paid for one or the other.)
> > >
> > > It doesn’t matter what any other games did. That is between them and their communities. If they’ve chosen not to stand up and speak out or keep buying games that don’t have sufficient content to warrant the money spent that is their mistake. Take doom for example. I wanted to play it. I like the franchise, but I know that I won’t ever touch the multi-player. It wasn’t worth 60 dollars to me, so I didn’t get it until I could get it for 30.
> >
> >
> > Here’s a little more realistic version of your scenario:
> >
> > You’ve been getting the same meal for years. But as the market has grown, you have increased your expectations. You don’t want stale, gmo eggs, but organic, free range eggs. You are no longer satisfied with thin, nitrate filled bacon, you prefer preservative free thick sliced Applewood bacon.
> >
> > Your server tells you that whilst it’s still bacon and eggs, the ingredients they serve are now much higher quality than the mass produced, cheap gmo foods they used to serve. Your server goes on to inform you about basic economics, and what inflation is, and how that means that your dollar will not have as much purchasing power as it used to have, and therefore if they are to maintain constant prices, they must reduce the quantity served. You get confused, yell at the server, and leave a bad Yelp review.
> >
> > Monetary Inflation is real, no matter what your unintelligent college friends say. Check out Consumer Price Index. Also, like going from lower quality gmo foods to natural higher quality foods, there is more cost involved producing games with higher visual fidelity. You are simply nuts if you think you can provide a game with as much content as Halo 3, with advanced graphics for the same price.
>
>
> Again regardless of the cost there is a duty to inform the consumer. If my local restaurant starts advertising a drop in content or ‘going organic (yeah, don’t buy into that -Yoink- and no sane person should)’ than I have the option of not going. There is a duty to inform the customer. There is a duty to let people know that there has been a change in the menu. You don’t get to just change things without notifying the consumer. Is the 60 dollars I paid in 2007 (Actually 70, but that is another story) worth more in equivalent currency today? Yes 70 dollars. Actually looking at the inflation rates, before you try to use them to support your argument might have helped you. If they want to charge 70 dollars for the game up front and have the content expected from a Halo game I’d be okay with that. Not launching with Key game types and features (Forge, a timer on campaign, Koth, Infection, FF, etc.) without informing the consumer with enough time for them to alter their purchase decisions was inexcusable and remains a major mistake.
>
> When you have a standard of service and change it without proper notification. It is your fault when people get upset.
>
> KOTH, VIP, Juggernaut, and Oddball in matchmaking. Social skirmish and slayer along with Action Sack as permanent playlists and I’ll be able to say I got what I paid for in the end. Until then, yes…I will complain as I have every right too.

And yet corporate America never informs the consumer of how they’re going to get screwed, so why should 343 be any different? If you keep buying the same widget every month for twenty years and the price never once goes up then you need to make some assumptions. Assume that you’re getting less by volume. Assume that production has been moved offshore in order to lower labor costs. Assume that materials being used now are inferior to those that were used in the past. Assume that companies are in business to maximize shareholder value. And that when they find some new and insidious way of doing just that, that their marketing people will probably not make that little truth the cornerstone of an ad campaign. What company ever made a killing with a slogan like “Pay More, Get Less?”