Halo 5: The Sandbox innovation

Who else wants more sandbox elements in Halo 5? if so name them in response to this topic!

For those who don’t know this is what a “sandbox” element can be (examples)
-Vehicles
-Weapons
-Abilities (pickups)
-Interactive elements (Opening doors, breakable objects)
etc.

Thanks for reading and any suggestions you may make :smiley:

Optional and secondary objectives.

Well weapons and vehicles are always nice.

Every halo has added weapons, even if a chunk of 4’s weren’t really that new mechanically.

I don’t just want ‘more’ sandbox elements, I want diverse and interesting ones as well. A large sandbox means nothing if it is full of redundant clones. I’m perfectly fine with having a ‘smaller’ sandbox if it means having a higher quality one.

As far interactive elements go I want to see more of what we used to have back in Halo 2. Activating the teleporter on Relic, opening the gates on maps like Zanzibar(and High Ground in Halo 3), the train on Terminal, etc.

> 2533274947485161;1:
> Who else wants more sandbox elements in Halo 5?

I don’t think you know what “innovation” means.

The sandbox in Halo 4 was completely broken. I want them to fix this. When they do, I want larger battles happening on screen that I can either choose to engage in or evade, depending on my mood or strategy. I also would like to see more interactive or possibly destructible elements in the campaign.

More is always more options and more options make a game fun. We just need to find a limit if it exists.

I want a diverse sandbox not full of clones, but want to see a few new ideas for weapons and vehicles implemented. (I mean, after I opened up that create-your-own sandbox thread about six months ago the community went crazy and I saw amazing ideas!)

I want to see:

-New weapons that are mechanically diverse.
-New vehicles such as the Locust, or newer vehicles to surprise me. Ones that are also mechanically interesting.
-More interactive elements on maps. Halo 2A is headed in the right direction, I have no doubt they’ll return.

> 2533274805712917;6:
> > 2533274947485161;1:
> > Who else wants more sandbox elements in Halo 5?
>
>
> I don’t think you know what “innovation” means.

I do know what is means. And I was punctually correct. What I meant by it was I want Halo 5 to innovate and improve upon the current sandbox elements we haven’t seen much change in.

> 2533274947485161;10:
> > 2533274805712917;6:
> > I don’t think you know what “innovation” means.
>
>
> I do know what is means. And I was punctually correct. What I meant by it was I want Halo 5 to innovate and improve upon the current sandbox elements we haven’t seen much change in.

That’s great… Um, can you detail any ideas for such innovations or changes/expansions of existing sandbox elements? That way we will have something to debate about other than the semantics of the term “innovation”. :slight_smile:

> 2535440283237581;11:
> > 2533274947485161;10:
> > > 2533274805712917;6:
> > > I don’t think you know what “innovation” means.
> >
> >
> >
> > I do know what is means. And I was punctually correct. What I meant by it was I want Halo 5 to innovate and improve upon the current sandbox elements we haven’t seen much change in.
>
>
> That’s great… Um, can you detail any ideas for such innovations or changes/expansions of existing sandbox elements? That way we will have something to debate about other than the semantics of the term “innovation”. :slight_smile:

Thats why I made this post, to hear peoples ideas and start a discussion.

I want a “Hub” area like ODST had New Mombasa. Locke could have his ship or something as his main area, Master Chief could have some Desert Cantina.

> 2533274831388058;13:
> I want a “Hub” area like ODST had New Mombasa. Locke could have his ship or something as his main area, Master Chief could have some Desert Cantina.

Haha sounds awesome! I would imagine that would take a long time to make depending on the size of these “Hubs”

> 2533274947485161;10:
> > 2533274805712917;6:
> > I don’t think you know what “innovation” means.
>
>
>
>
> I do know what is means. And I was punctually correct. What I meant by it was I want Halo 5 to innovate and improve upon the current sandbox elements we haven’t seen much change in.

Simply having “more” of something is not innovation. Innovation is, using Halo 2 as an example, adding vehicle hijacking, dual-wielding, and vehicle weak spots (e.g. the fuel cell behind the Ghost’s left wing). Adding the Spectre in Halo 2 wasn’t an innovation; it was just an additional sandbox asset.

Simple scripts in forge (such as drawing a linear path and having an object follow it) for making doors, elevators, and floating walk ways.

Personally for me, I’d rather have these weapons make up the majority of the Halo 5 sandbox:
http://halofanon.wikia.com/wiki/Halo:Combat_Evolved(NU)

Plus my Cryoshot idea to serve as a secondary CQC weapon (shotgun that fires slow-moving ice crystals in a tight spread, requires target leading but slows down movement, and can freeze the target for several seconds if you land most of the projectiles on the target), and my Vortex Cannon idea as a super-weapon (similar to the BFG9000 in Doom, but the explosion generates a black hole that stays on the map for a short period, which can deal light damage via shockwaves that emit from the center and suck players in who get too close). This would make for an excellent core sandbox with 12 weapons (excluding the grenades), as long as they’re all equally as useful and interesting as one another, there is no need to add the extra, unnecessary fluff.

I personally believe that they need to minimize the amount of weapons for design/balance. Cramming in a bunch of fluff (just for the sake of having it) isn’t a really good decision, it causes the game to be too unbalanced, confusing, and cluttered. Why not just go with a smaller set of weapons for the core sandbox, so they receive more attention and are all made to be balanced alongside each other, as well as equally useful in their own special way. “Less is more” is a very true statement when it comes to the first-person shooter genre as a whole. I don’t mind if they add a couple of extra weapons for custom games and forge at the last second, but the “fluff” weapons should not be integrated within the core gameplay, and should only be added in after they’re finished perfecting the core weapons. Honestly, I really find the Halo series as a whole to be awful at balancing (so many examples I can list), so I feel this aspect should be top priority to improve the competitive aspect of gameplay. The game would be far more intriguing and strategic if they designed each weapon to be good in their own specific situation and more or less equally as useful as one another, rather than simply grabbing than overpowered weapon and mindlessly blasting away with it.

Vehicles should be first-person so it’s balanced alongside vehicle combat. In BTB for example, if you’re a smart player, you’re always going to wanna be in a vehicle if you have the chance. By increasing the skill gap for vehicle usage by making it so players need better situational awareness, I believe gameplay would be overall better this way. I also think Halo 4’s vehicle damage resistance needs to be kept. People say they were too weak, no way. They were very effective, they just weren’t overpowered. A classic Warthog would make you almost invincible against infantry unless someone carried a Spartan Laser, now you’re actually a bit more vulnerable. It’s necessary that you need added damage resistance when entering a vehicle, but to become almost unkillable by infantry is definitely going overboard. Forgive me for complimenting Halo 4 on something, that game was a piece of trash, but I’m the kind of person who will give credit where credit is due. I think they should have the Warthog, Mongoose, Falcon, Scorpion, Ghost, Revenant, Banshee, and Wraith as the returning vehicles, but with the additions of the Siege Bike (with somewhat more realistic motorcycle physics than the Chopper had to offer) and the Light Assault VTOL (make it an aerial counterpart to the mongoose, better for transport and getaways, but crappy for combat). I also feel the Mantis should return, but ONLY as a one-map thing like the Elephant was in Halo 3, otherwise it would dominate the entire BTB playlist.

> 2533274947485161;14:
> > 2533274831388058;13:
> > I want a “Hub” area like ODST had New Mombasa. Locke could have his ship or something as his main area, Master Chief could have some Desert Cantina.
>
>
> Haha sounds awesome! I would imagine that would take a long time to make depending on the size of these “Hubs”

As long as it doesn’t get repetitive returning to it, I wouldn’t mind the idea of having a base of operations of sorts. But it shouldn’t take the place of a proper menu. Fable III attempted this with terrible results. Just keep it as a hub area in the game to use practice simulations, possibly view collectibles, talk to people, learn more about the lore and select missions (which should also be selected from the menu, too).

> 2533274929494620;18:
> As long as it doesn’t get repetitive returning to it, I wouldn’t mind the idea of having a base of operations of sorts. But it shouldn’t take the place of a proper menu. Fable III attempted this with terrible results. Just keep it as a hub area in the game to use practice simulations, possibly view collectibles, talk to people, learn more about the lore and select missions (which should also be selected from the menu, too).

I agree. It might be like the base in MGSV that looks really cool.

Call me crazy but I kinda want secondary objectives and a semi-open world like Deus Ex: HR.

More open-world freedom and less linearity in the missions.