Halo 5: standing on the shoulders of giants

I remember clocking in a small amount of time on the H5 Beta. My internet wasn’t the greatest at the time, but I enjoyed being part of something I believed was big. I raced to the forums to check on what was being said. Surfing through the traffic I was ready to comment and offer my opinions. Someone criticized me for having a low gamer score contesting I had no rights to offer my feedback and input.
Many fans, including myself, were disappointed about the Call of Duty style gameplay mechanics. Ultimately I gave in. I didn’t care anymore if the game had mechanics from another game. It was still Halo. At least that’s what I thought.
Several months crept passed. Over that time period I studied articles, videos, and considered my original reservations. I have since concluded that the developers of Halo 5 are standing on the shoulders of giants.
Halo CE made a new standard for the fps. Years later so did Halo 2. Halo 3 was a finishing touch of good craftsmanship. Not too much later Activision released Call of Duty titles, notably Modern Warfare, that innovated the fps yet again. The Halo series continued with several other titles including Halo 4 that had elements of Reach and Activision’s Call of Duty series (sprinting and kill cams).
Halo 5 includes even more of Activision’s shooters’ elements, including the latest, Advanced Warfare. I don’t see it as a problem. I enjoy playing Advanced Warfare, and I enjoy playing Halo. Undoubtedly though I cannot help but point out the simple truth that 343 and Microsoft stand on Activision’s and Bungie’s shoulders. I am aware that many 343 developers worked for Bungie. Regardless, the reality is some of the original Halo developers do not work for 343.
I have read and heard rumors of Chief leaving the franchise. I feel this is gravely disappointing. I think therefore Halo has activated its own self-destruct sequence. Once the formidable series that made the original XBOX incredibly popular Halo will now recede even further from the fanbase it once held. I am a longtime fan. Since I can’t help but put pieces together of the story of Halo 5 I have come to this conclusion:

1. For some reason 343 and Microsoft want to destroy Halo’s original main characters (Cortana and Chief) in order to allow room for a fresh game. Their replacement is Spartan Locke.
  2. Microsoft finally has a character that can play both in games and tv shows. It must be lucrative. The involvement of Ridley Scott makes it even more of a costly venture.
    Of course the game has not been released. I’ll confirm my suspicions in October.
    I had hopes for the game. My opinions have changed, most notably by the damaging theory that Chief will cease to be part of the series. I once had a forum member explain to me the game is titled “Halo” not “Chief”. Well said, but when I think of Halo I see Chief nonetheless. It was also argued that the game series was never supposed to be Chief-centric. Well said, but I enjoy playing as Chief.

They might replace Chief as the main character in like halo 7 but I doubt they will do it in H5. They have to give us time to warm up to Locke and what he is all about. Thats even if they ever decide to replace the Chief. Lets face it though, he is a human and humans get old and die, They have to be replaced eventually. Unless they find some way to explain long life by something happening thats like mystical. Remember in Halo 4 the librarian forerunner did something to the Chief. She changed his biology in Halo4, does this mean he will live longer, maybe. At least that is my thoughts on the subject.

Locke is as much of a replacement for Master Chief as the Arbiter was a replacement for Chief in Halo 2. Not that I mind having more protagonists and I’ve liked what I’ve seen of Locke in Nightfall, arguably the only real redeeming part of that series. I can’t argue much about anything multiplayer. I liked the beta’s gameplay, but really that is as far as I can go as I know others can easily outclass what I have to say in that regard. Yet storywise? You are formulating an dire scenario from rumors and came to a conclusion. If you are going to be pessimistic, at least be pessimistic on something stronger. Obviously I can’t say for certainty that Chief will not die in Halo 5, but think logically for a minute. What does 343 have to gain by killing Chief? Contrary to what pessimistic fans think, 343 is not trying to purposefully kill Halo. Killing Chief would be a disaster. And with Cortana dead and Blue Team integrated into Halo 5 to fill her void, I can’t see that thrown away after one game by offing Chief.

Halo 4 and 5 are and will be very different than Call of Duty, it annoys me to keep seeing this over and over because It’s not true. I play both the MCC and AW regularly, both play and feel much different, it always takes me a wee bit of time to adjust when swapping from one to the other.
343 had big shoes to fill, but no one is standing on anyones shoulders. Halo 4 was great, Halo 5 will be even better. The franchise is still unique and on a good path. Peace out and good hunting

There are two options:

1. Stop making Halos
  2. Kill Chief
    343 has to pick one, and only one is the correct/believable way to go. And I think 343 has shown they are going with option 2. People hate it, but the only other alternative is to stop making games. So they are introducing characters that they hope we’ll love as much as Chief, which is a tall order. Now Locke may not be their Chief replacement, but they are bringing back many loved characters, like Buck (and I guess Blue Team).

Several notable series have had to kill off main characters (Mass Effect comes to mind). It is the only choice (though I’m afraid they’ll become like TV shows: they will never stop making more).

You realize Chief is not immortal, right? He exists in a fictional universe based in reality that proceeds chronologically game to game. He cannot and should not live forever. Like Solid Snake, his story eventually has to end and his character has to go away at some point. Note that this obviously won’t be in Halo 5.

I think Chief’s story will sunset and we will get the canon end to his character either in Halo 6 (2018) or more likely, the Halo game we get in 2021 since that will be the 20th anniversary of Combat Evolved. 20 years is a long time and you shouldn’t hold it against 343 or get mad at them because they are trying to introduce new, compelling characters like Spartan Locke who can carry on the Halo universe and narrative after Chief’s time has logically and appropriately come to an end.

I quite like Buck and Thorne. Either of them could make an interesting main character for a game.

I don’t know enough about Locke to feel attached to him yet.

Returning to this post I can safely say I am thankful for the game. Halo 5 is great. Beyond par job 343 devs and Microsoft Studios.
Kudos Bonnie Ross and all the teams working on Halo. Thanks for your creative work and patience, especially with us fans. Laters home dawgs :slight_smile:

> 2535433052447449;2:
> They might replace Chief as the main character in like halo 7 but I doubt they will do it in H5. They have to give us time to warm up to Locke and what he is all about. Thats even if they ever decide to replace the Chief. Lets face it though, he is a human and humans get old and die, They have to be replaced eventually. Unless they find some way to explain long life by something happening thats like mystical. Remember in Halo 4 the librarian forerunner did something to the Chief. She changed his biology in Halo4, does this mean he will live longer, maybe. At least that is my thoughts on the subject.

Spartans live longer. Johnson in Halo 3 was at least 68 years old and he was moving around pretty good, fighting genocidal aliens, space zombie parasites, and mysterious floating eyeballs.

Edit- To clarify, Johnson was a member of the ORION project, more commonly known as the Spartan l Project. Chief and Blue Team are Spartan lls.

Johnson was immune to the Flood due to this

> 2535462933248352;8:
> Returning to this post I can safely say I am thankful for the game. Halo 5 is great. Beyond par job 343 devs and Microsoft Studios.
> Kudos Bonnie Ross and all the teams working on Halo. Thanks for your creative work and patience, especially with us fans. Laters home dawgs :slight_smile:

Please do not revive old threads, especially your own.

> 2535462933248352;8:
> Returning to this post I can safely say I am thankful for the game. Halo 5 is great. Beyond par job 343 devs and Microsoft Studios.
> Kudos Bonnie Ross and all the teams working on Halo. Thanks for your creative work and patience, especially with us fans. Laters home dawgs :slight_smile:

While I appreciate the sentiment when a thread is that old, it would be better for you to make a new one and link the old instead of resurrecting it from the ether.