Halo 5 Spartans look like cars (in a good way!)

So far the only thing I’ve seen from Halo on Xbox One (Halo MCC and Halo 5) that truly look next gen so far is the Halo Ring on Ascension, and the Spartans in Halo 5. They look CGI quality, as next gen is supposed to look like.

I am very impressed with the Spartan models. They look so shiny and reflective. I just wanted to thank 343i for making them look so good. The only critique I can give is for them to make the visors as reflective as this.

The armor it’s self looks great, it retains Halo 3’s strong colourfulness as well as retaining Halo’s light hearted art style. The spartans in Halo 5 look like they are made out of the same material as cars, it looks fantastic. They are very shiny.

They look like cars from Forza 5’s Autovista mode, except they are in the forms of super soldiers. AND THAT IS A VERY GOOD THING! THEY LOOK AMAZING THAT WAY!

Not sure if trolling… This is legitimately the first thread I’ve seen complimenting 343i’s art direction for Spartan armor.

Someone put it rather succinctly that we want Mjolnir Powered Assault Armor. As it stands, Halo 4 (and unfortunately, as it, seems, Halo 5’s armor) look’s more like a Power Ranger’s foam/plastic padded bodysuit than actual, mechanized armor.

One thing I certainly agree with though it the reflectiveness of the Spartan visors. One of the things that made Halo 4 so monumentally unsuited for machinima was the fact that the visors look like 16 bit textures plastered onto the geometry of the helmets.

One of the things that made Halo 3’s armor look so nice in game was how reactive it was, in terms of the “glowy” armor and highly reflective visors.

> Not sure if trolling… This is legitimately the first thread I’ve seen complimenting 343i’s art direction for Spartan armor.

Why is it that when anybody goes against popular opinion on Waypoint, they’re instantly accused of trolling? Anyway, I didn’t mind Halo 4’s armour that much and I quite like what I’ve seen from Halo 5 so far.

I agree with the OP the models look great, 343 if you’re reading, keep on as you are!

Honestly when people moan and nitpick on here i have no idea what theyre crying about lool

I’m not a fan of the octagon-pattern undersuit and how the armor looks like it’s floating in place rather than securely attached, and the Halo 4 Mk. V dlc armor looks like a stripped-down version to fit on the Halo 4 player models. I’m also not a fan of the colored portions on the undersuit, but I see why they did it. It’s to create more color distinction between teams in multiplayer. The colored hands are to help unfamiliar players know which team they are on since the colored forearms are mostly out of sight.

I prefer a more industrial look rather than a space-agey Star Wars Clone/Storm Trooper plastic kind of look. They got Chief’s campaign armor right, and the Warrior and Recruit armor look good, but many others don’t look right.

I actually liked the general design changes for the Halo 4 armor. The codpiece area looks a lot better and functionally would allow for a wider range of movement. And I felt the coloured undersuits helped spread the colour out better over the models

Something people have to understand is that, as best as I understand it, even when you see the “Mark V” or “Mark VI” in Halo 4, what you’re seeing is Gen2 armor made to aesthetically match the more dated Mk V or Mk VI armor systems. The armor systems are different, both in terms of which generation of Spartan wears the armor (what augmentation process was used on the Spartan; therefore what the size of the Spartan is), as well as the funds used to manufacture them (Gen2 armor is meant to be a step up from the Spartan III’s armor, but still mass-produced and therefore cheaper than the Spartan II’s armor). People can complain all day about how it looks different, but canonically, it is supposed to look different. Whether you like it or not, it is based on canon, and that is something that isn’t as easily overlooked anymore.

I understand that everyone has their own preferences, which is fine. If you don’t like shiny armor, or if you don’t like more matte-styled visors, then that is your opinion to have. However, just because it is your opinion does not mean that it is based on fact, that everyone else shares your opinion, or that 343i must adhere to your gripes. The reason you dislike shiny armor (because it looks plastic and not “realistic”) is the same reason I don’t like shiny visors (with the exception of ODSTs). It’s all preference, and if we’re getting down to the issues of aesthetic preference (that does not interefere with canon) for gripes about a package as fantastic and inclusive as the MCC (or for something we’ve seen so little of as Halo 5: Guardians), then I say that’s a sad state.

> Not sure if trolling… This is legitimately the first thread I’ve seen complimenting 343i’s art direction for Spartan armor.
>
> Someone put it rather succinctly that we want Mjolnir Powered Assault Armor. As it stands, Halo 4 (and unfortunately, as it, seems, Halo 5’s armor) look’s more like a Power Ranger’s foam/plastic padded bodysuit than actual, mechanized armor.

I’m with you on this. I don’t see a fully functional suit of armor with 343’s style.

The Chief is supposed to weigh approx. 285 pounds. Mjolnir is supposed to weigh approximately 1000 pounds. Nothing in the 343 design conveys this kind of weight or mechanization. I get no sense of redundant systems, locking armor, fusion cores, shield generators… I get the impression of a glorified American football player, areas of padding but not much substance beneath.

I also like what’s been shown at the moment, but I’m not really sure how indicative it is of the final product. We’ve seen I think three armour sets so far, none of which were shown in-engine, and that can have a huge influence on how things look.

I seem to be unable to find any decent halo 5 Spartan images

Linky please?

Also…I always like SOME of the art direction for the mjolnir in halo 4…different strokes from different people and all

> I seem to be unable to find any decent halo 5 Spartan images
>
>
> Linky please?
>
> Also…I always like SOME of the art direction for the mjolnir in halo 4…different strokes from different people and all

Aviator 1/Aviator 2

Defender 1/Defender 2

Those two are identical in design to Halo 4. Both images come from the beta video they released and show them with more metallic textures than they have in Halo 4.

Fred’s armour

Also from the beta video. The armour shares some similarities with the Chief’s Halo 4/5 armour due to it being Fred’s Mark VI design. It seems we may actually get to use it in multiplayer.

Locke’s armour

New armour 1/New armour 2/New armour 3/New armour 4

That set was shown in the original multiplayer video. According to Frankie, that set of armour is in some way related to a specific mode, though it will likely be like Ricochet in that it won’t be restricted to that one mode.

All of these are pre-rendered. All but Locke’s seem to be ingame assets rendered outside of the engine and as such, may not look quite the same when the game releases.

I am rather ok with all of them as options

After all de gustibus non disputandum est

> > I seem to be unable to find any decent halo 5 Spartan images
> >
> >
> > Linky please?
> >
> > Also…I always like SOME of the art direction for the mjolnir in halo 4…different strokes from different people and all
>
> Aviator 1/Aviator 2
>
> Defender 1/Defender 2
>
> Those two are identical in design to Halo 4. Both images come from the beta video they released and show them with more metallic textures than they have in Halo 4.
>
> Fred’s armour
>
> Also from the beta video. The armour shares some similarities with the Chief’s Halo 4/5 armour due to it being Fred’s Mark VI design. It seems we may actually get to use it in multiplayer.
>
> Locke’s armour
>
> New armour 1/New armour 2/New armour 3/New armour 4
>
> That set was shown in the original multiplayer video. According to Frankie, that set of armour is in some way related to a specific mode, though it will likely be like Ricochet in that it won’t be restricted to that one mode.
>
> All of these are pre-rendered. All but Locke’s seem to be ingame assets rendered outside of the engine and as such, may not look quite the same when the game releases.

im pretty sure that the defender armor, aviator armor, and fred armor are all in game renders.

Wich is why I made the thread to compliment the graphics.

> > > I seem to be unable to find any decent halo 5 Spartan images
> > >
> > >
> > > Linky please?
> > >
> > > Also…I always like SOME of the art direction for the mjolnir in halo 4…different strokes from different people and all
> >
> > Aviator 1/Aviator 2
> >
> > Defender 1/Defender 2
> >
> > Those two are identical in design to Halo 4. Both images come from the beta video they released and show them with more metallic textures than they have in Halo 4.
> >
> > Fred’s armour
> >
> > Also from the beta video. The armour shares some similarities with the Chief’s Halo 4/5 armour due to it being Fred’s Mark VI design. It seems we may actually get to use it in multiplayer.
> >
> > Locke’s armour
> >
> > New armour 1/New armour 2/New armour 3/New armour 4
> >
> > That set was shown in the original multiplayer video. According to Frankie, that set of armour is in some way related to a specific mode, though it will likely be like Ricochet in that it won’t be restricted to that one mode.
> >
> > All of these are pre-rendered. All but Locke’s seem to be ingame assets rendered outside of the engine and as such, may not look quite the same when the game releases.
>
> im pretty sure that the defender armor, aviator armor, and fred armor are all in game renders.
>
> Wich is why I made the thread to compliment the graphics.

They’re renders of game assets, but are not rendered in the engine itself, at least, that’s how it appears to me. The original CG multiplayer trailer was also made using assets from the game, but presented in a pre-rendered environment. We’ve seen a couple of environments in engine, and some glimpses of what we can confirm are weapons in engine, and none of that would fit with the armour as we’ve seen it. To me it looks like they’ve done an external render purely for the purposes of the trailer.

> > Not sure if trolling… This is legitimately the first thread I’ve seen complimenting 343i’s art direction for Spartan armor.
> >
> > Someone put it rather succinctly that we want Mjolnir Powered Assault Armor. As it stands, Halo 4 (and unfortunately, as it, seems, Halo 5’s armor) look’s more like a Power Ranger’s foam/plastic padded bodysuit than actual, mechanized armor.
>
> I’m with you on this. I don’t see a fully functional suit of armor with 343’s style.
>
> The Chief is supposed to weigh approx. 285 pounds. Mjolnir is supposed to weigh approximately 1000 pounds. Nothing in the 343 design conveys this kind of weight or mechanization. I get no sense of redundant systems, locking armor, fusion cores, shield generators… I get the impression of a glorified American football player, areas of padding but not much substance beneath.

Let me make this real simple for you. As technology progresses - it gets smaller.

Mk II is big and bulky - ever subsequent version of the Mjolnir armour has been streamlining it down. Things get smaller, big plates get cur in favour of synthetic fibers which are stronger. If you want oversized armour go play Warhammer of GoW. All armour has to balance movement with basix protection - if you’re a walking tank you aren’t moving as fast as you could be (regardless of how fast Spartans can move).

The armour in Halo 5 is more streamlined and designed to give the Spartans better mobility - just because you and others on the forum dislike the appearance doesn’t make it poor design. You couldn’t exactly tell me how the Mk II was functional - so don’t get all uppity about any subsequent armours.

I liked the season for the changes in H4, like the things they dint really need to explain like tho whole " new fingers" or what ever lol. Super soldier == walking tank

But with that said idk where this is from but tank mode also looks badass but it looks like it would be for a specific mission.

http://www.critiques4geeks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/art-of-halo-4-5.jpeg

But Spartans arnt ZOIDS loll even tho that machine that stripped MC at the end of Halo 4 could have fooled me

> The Chief is supposed to weigh approx. 285 pounds. Mjolnir is supposed to weigh approximately 1000 pounds. Nothing in the 343 design conveys this kind of weight or mechanization. I get no sense of redundant systems, locking armor, fusion cores, shield generators… I get the impression of a glorified American football player, areas of padding but not much substance beneath.

GEN2 armour is canonically much lighter than GEN1. Just sayin’.

Also, The Aviator/Defender/Fred armours aren’t fully rendered, and the CG armours look perfect to me.

IGN released more info: Halo 5: Guardians Armor Unlocks from Halo: The Master Chief Collection Revealed – IGN First - IGN

Graphics are great!

Why do they look like action figures?

> 2533274820441404;19:
> Why do they look like action figures?

who cares? the Halo art style has always had a colourful non realistic approach. The graphics are fantastic!