Halo 5' s Multiplayer Direction saved the Series

There are a few people who believe that Halo 5 completely lost the identity of the “Classic Halo competition,” saying that the game is too fast paced and is not recognizable. Halo 5’s new direction is, however, the most revolutionary reinstatement of the series to date. In 2007, back when Halo 3 was released, that was the pinnacle of multiplayer competition. However, with the release of SEVERAL successful shooters to date, bungie, or now 343, had to make critical decisions regarding the pace of their multiplayer experience, delivering a fun, competitive, yet unique play style that could be called Halo. SO, they released Halo 4, which was the (up until Halo 5) the greatest Halo to date.

The point is, the speed of multiplayer that some people are disagreeing with is inevitable, and honestly, it takes more skill to be successful in these types of matches. This new generation of Halo players and fans have been asking for faster, more competitive multiplayer, and 343 has finally delivered. For those who say that you need more skill to play previous Halos, the new generation of games requires a quicker hand and quicker mind. It can be argued that Halo 4 and Halo 5 are more competitive than previous Halo’s and the multiplayer is, and should be, here to stay.

Halo 4 was largely agreed upon as the worst Halo game.

> 2811398874529013;2:
> Halo 4 was largely agreed upon as the worst Halo game.

I understand where that is coming from. I just read a post about the large divide in the Halo community, of those who want clones of Halo 2-3, of the new generation “Reach players,” and so-on. The people who disliked Halo 4 were the first-generation Halo players. On the flip side, the people who loved Halo 4 (and there were many, the game was in the top 98% across many rating boards) like the quicker paced direction the series was going, as with Reach. The point of the post is to show how this quick paced multiplayer experience is the future of Halo, because the majority of new generation players find the older games unplayable, due to the slow paced and incredibly disproportionate damage system. Therefore, Halo 5’s multiplayer is an even greater step towards this new era of multiplayer gaming, and Halo 2-3 multiplayer is a thing of the past.

> 2533274913350232;3:
> On the flip side, the people who loved Halo 4 (and there were many, the game was in the top 98% across many rating boards) like the quicker paced direction the series was going, as with Reach.

What are you talking about? Halo Reach and especially 4 were the slowest Halos to date. In Halo CE up to 3, it takes roughly 5 to 10 seconds to get from one encounter to the next. In Reach and 4, it takes twice as much, thanks to the elongated maps. H5G still needs to be measured as soon as people get to know all the maps…

> 2533274801176260;4:
> > 2533274913350232;3:
> > On the flip side, the people who loved Halo 4 (and there were many, the game was in the top 98% across many rating boards) like the quicker paced direction the series was going, as with Reach.
>
>
> What are you talking about? Halo Reach and especially 4 were the slowest Halos to date. In Halo CE up to 3, it takes roughly 5 to 10 seconds to get from one encounter to the next. In Reach and 4, it takes twice as much, thanks to the elongated maps. H5G still needs to be measured as soon as people get to know all the maps…

Lol, I played Halo 1-3 in MCC and sorry to tell you, it was slow and boring and the silent majority that don’t post on these forums probably agree in my opinion since Halo is doing well. Sure it was fun for its time but that’s just it, that was 8 years ago, things have changed mate.

While I agree that Halo 5’s multiplayer is the right direction, I cannot agree with you that Halo 4 was the best Halo before Halo 5. Halo 3 and Halo Reach had the best multiplayer experience out of all the Halo games. I still would rather be playing Halo 3, but Halo 5 will just have to do.

> 2533274813050083;5:
> and the silent majority that don’t post on these forums probably agree in my opinion since Halo is doing well.

You mean the silent majority that played Halo 4 years after its launch because it was so fast-paced?
Oh wait…

> 2533274801176260;4:
> > 2533274913350232;3:
> > On the flip side, the people who loved Halo 4 (and there were many, the game was in the top 98% across many rating boards) like the quicker paced direction the series was going, as with Reach.
>
>
> What are you talking about? Halo Reach and especially 4 were the slowest Halos to date. In Halo CE up to 3, it takes roughly 5 to 10 seconds to get from one encounter to the next. In Reach and 4, it takes twice as much, thanks to the elongated maps. H5G still needs to be measured as soon as people get to know all the maps…

When I say the speed of the game, I don’t mean time between engagements, I’m talking about the pace of the individual player. Halo 3 is, as was just mentioned, slow and boring to play now adays. Halo 4 and 5 fixes that problem with player movement and engagement speed (during combat)

So much wrong in OP, I don’t know where to begin…
No, it’s not more competitive. Not even close.

According to your profile, you’ve never played H2 or H3. I know this could be a new profile, but if it’s true, how can you say what you’ve said in your OP, OP?

Hey! It’s okay to disagree, I love the commitment of the many generations of halo players. I personally feel that the most recent halo installations were the best, and I provided reasons why! Everyone loves Halo, so let’s keep on playing!

> 2533274913350232;8:
> When I say the speed of the game, I don’t mean time between engagements, I’m talking about the pace of the individual player. Halo 3 is, as was just mentioned, slow and boring to play now adays. Halo 4 and 5 fixes that problem with player movement and engagement speed (during combat)

That is arguably true about H5G, but in no way for Halo 4. During combat you’re restricted to base player speed which was lower in Halo 4 (and Reach for that matter) than in the previous trilogy.

Personally I agree with the OP. But then I am a halo 4 kid so who cares what I think!

> 2533274801176260;11:
> > 2533274913350232;8:
> > When I say the speed of the game, I don’t mean time between engagements, I’m talking about the pace of the individual player. Halo 3 is, as was just mentioned, slow and boring to play now adays. Halo 4 and 5 fixes that problem with player movement and engagement speed (during combat)
>
>
> That is arguably true about H5G, but in no way for Halo 4. During combat you’re restricted to base player speed which was lower in Halo 4 than in the previous trilogy.

What about sprinting? I don’t know if the base speed was slower than previous games, but if it were, it is countered by the ability to sprint

> 2533274913350232;13:
> What about sprinting? I don’t know if the base speed was slower than previous games, but if it were, it is countered by the ability to sprint

I thought we were talking about game pace during combat? You can’t shoot while sprinting, so sprinting is not “during combat”.

> SO, they released Halo 4, which was the (up until Halo 5) the greatest Halo to date.

Lmao.

We won’t be able to tell if Halo 5 saved the series anyways until population numbers and sales figures become available.

I think Halo 4 multiplayer was beyond garbage as did most I think, as shown by the massive population drop. With that said, as much as I love Halo 2 and take my nostalgia glasses off, I think Halo 5 is the best to date. Super competitive and solid, although a few tweaks could be made.

> 2533274801176260;14:
> > 2533274913350232;13:
> > What about sprinting? I don’t know if the base speed was slower than previous games, but if it were, it is countered by the ability to sprint
>
>
> I thought we were talking about game pace during combat? You can’t shoot while sprinting, so sprinting is not “during combat”.

True, we were talking about combat. I personally think that the base speed in Halo 4 felt faster, however I do not know how to test whether I am correct or wrong in that assumption.

What’s to take away from this thread is that I feel that Halo 5 is a great, competitive, fast paced game that is noticeably different from CE-3, and the direction it’s taking is a positive one.

Well the first halo game you played was reach so your view of the games is different from the halo players who started off by playing halo 1 2 or 3. Depending on which halo game people started on, their definition of what “Halo” should be changes. Most players who started on Halo 4 or Reach enjoyed Halo 5 alot more than older players who’s first halo game was 1, 2, or 3. Halo 4 was considered bad because it was so different from the other halo’s. Alot of older players considered halo good because it a arena style FPS game with equal starts, balanced weapons, large skill ceiling but with Halo 4, they brought in loadouts which gave players different starting weapons, weapons that many considered unbalanced, ridiculously high amounts of magnetism and more aim assist. This was really different from older halo’s which made it harder for long time fans to enjoy. On the other hand, players that started off in halo 4 thought it was great because halo 4 isn’t a “bad” game. I think its a good game by FPS game standards, it’s just not a “halo” game. Players that started playing before halo 4 could easily recognize this while players that first started off with halo 4 don’t usually realize this.

> 2535412395556822;16:
> I think Halo 4 multiplayer was beyond garbage as did most I think, as shown by the massive population drop.

I respect your opinion, thanks for contributing!! In your opinion, what was the contributing factor in Halo 4 that led to the population drop, compared to previous Halo titles? Was it a change in direction, or something else?

> 2533274913350232;17:
> True, we were talking about combat. I personally think that the base speed in Halo 4 felt faster, however I do not know how to test whether I am correct or wrong in that assumption.

Go into a multiplayer map (Forge makes this very easy), and run along a line of Warthogs/Scorpions while measuring the time.
The length of the vehicles is known so movement speed can be calculated.
Halo 1, 2 and 3 had exactly 7m/s.
ODST had 5.5m/s
Reach had 6.85m/s without or ~10.7m/s with sprint.
Halo 4 had 6.6m/s without or ~10.7m/s with sprint.
H5G still needs to be measured as soon as Forge is released.