Halo 5 ranking system doesn't make any sense...

Wait, why is it focused on wins/losses rather than KD? Doesn’t KD decide whether you win or lose? Doesn’t a good KD mean you are indeed supporting the team? I suppose assists are also a good indicator of team support but that further proves that ranking shouldn’t JUST be based on wins and losses… Could someone just please either tell me I’m not crazy, or that I’m being completely foolish and this ranking system is actually a grade-A, foolproof plan.

Anyone can get a good KDR by camping and farming objectives. The object of the the game is to win, and it really doesn’t matter how much you die in order to do it.

Wins > ratio

The win is more important to the team than one teammates stats.

While a good K/D can frequently go along with doing well, unless it’s a slayer gametype, it doesn’t necessarily indicate a good player. It’s totally possible to play an objective gametype and focus solely on getting kills allowing you to get a high K/D while doing next to nothing as far as helping your team capture/hold objectives. Wins are definitely a better indicator of a good team player than K/D is.

W/L hasn’t ever failed to gauge skill-level. I wish 343 would just put the classic 1-50 in there along with the other systems…but…well…we don’t know why they won’t do this, but they clearly just won’t.

I don’t think there has ever been an accurate way to rank people in video games, or FPS games at the least. You guys put way too much into ranks, if you want to determine how good someone is, you need to go play with them for a while and watch how they play the game.

Well, if we have two equal low skill players who fight, then we can assume both players’ KD would be around 1, no? Then we have two vastly better players of equal skill who fight, can we not assume then as well that their respective KD would be around 1?

Now of course we’re talking about a team game, so each individual is of course going to have their own KD, but that doesn’t mean they don’t contribute in other ways, some even perhaps detrimental to your KD but beneficial for the team overall.

Another aspect to take into consideration with KD is the selfish playstyle it promotes. It’s more beneficial for yourself to betrsy a team mate and take their power weapon as they don’t get the kills, they die once and you have the potential to get more kills.

Reach’s Arena system first looked at individual pergormance, but they changed it to a pure W/L system later.

> 2533274795123910;8:
> Well, if we have two equal low skill players who fight, then we can assume both players’ KD would be around 1, no? Then we have two vastly better players of equal skill who fight, can we not assume then as well that their respective KD would be around 1?
>
> Now of course we’re talking about a team game, so each individual is of course going to have their own KD, but that doesn’t mean they don’t contribute in other ways, some even perhaps detrimental to your KD but beneficial for the team overall.
>
> Another aspect to take into consideration with KD is the selfish playstyle it promotes. It’s more beneficial for yourself to betrsy a team mate and take their power weapon as they don’t get the kills, they die once and you have the potential to get more kills.
>
> Reach’s Arena system first looked at individual pergormance, but they changed it to a pure W/L system later.

I think there’s plenty more to be said for the value of a player’s K/D than you make it sound here… You need to be alive to actively contribute something to the team. Sure, callouts are great, but if you die twice as often as you kill someone, you’re spending a lot of time at the respawn screen, which actually might be worse for your team when playing objective game types than it is standard slayer.

> 2533274838804559;7:
> I don’t think there has ever been an accurate way to rank people in video games, or FPS games at the least. You guys put way too much into ranks, if you want to determine how good someone is, you need to go play with them for a while and watch how they play the game.

Being good is relative, because you need to do better than someone else. If you’re the only one entering a bike race, are you good for winning? Or bad for being last?

Most systems are good enough to put out a well enough estimate, that they’re good enough to use.

> 2533274946634226;9:
> > 2533274795123910;8:
> > Well, if we have two equal low skill players who fight, then we can assume both players’ KD would be around 1, no? Then we have two vastly better players of equal skill who fight, can we not assume then as well that their respective KD would be around 1?
> >
> > Now of course we’re talking about a team game, so each individual is of course going to have their own KD, but that doesn’t mean they don’t contribute in other ways, some even perhaps detrimental to your KD but beneficial for the team overall.
> >
> > Another aspect to take into consideration with KD is the selfish playstyle it promotes. It’s more beneficial for yourself to betrsy a team mate and take their power weapon as they don’t get the kills, they die once and you have the potential to get more kills.
> >
> > Reach’s Arena system first looked at individual pergormance, but they changed it to a pure W/L system later.
>
>
> I think there’s plenty more to be said for the value of a player’s K/D than you make it sound here… You need to be alive to actively contribute something to the team. Sure, callouts are great, but if you die twice as often as you kill someone, you’re spending a lot of time at the respawn team, which actually might be worse for your team when playing objective game types than it is standard slayer.

Of course we can discuss what it means to have a bad KD, and how we could see if it’s a good or bad player. However, I’d say that if you actually want to use KD as an indication of how good you are, atleast in slayer, you need to play constantly players who aren’t in your own skill range, meaning a majority of loopsided matches, an overwhelmingly large majority.

Have you ever played team sports? This is the same principle.

> 2533274844984484;11:
> Have you ever played team sports? This is the same principle.

That’s the problem, most people aren’t team players in fps games. They are the type of people that think running 5 carries in LoL is a good idea.

Higher K/D correlates with WR unless it’s an objective gametype. Also you can’t really judge KDA when you’re in the top ranks, everyone is usually 1 for 1 so it has to be win/loss in the end.

The others have already told you, it’s a team game, and on objective game types the K/D means -Yoink-, also campers, etc.

And what I also want to mention is that LoL has a similar ranking system and THAT means that it is working for competetive games.

> 2533274844984484;11:
> Have you ever played team sports? This is the same principle.

Exactly. What really matters is the team result. It really doesn’t hurt to play selflessly on an FPS.

Because if you do that you will end up with a Call of Duty-like culture of ingnoring objectives in favor of kills or worse yet, using objectives as kill farm rather than playing them. And the last thing we want is more people complaining that 343 is turning Halo into CoD.

I will say however, W/L based aren’t very friendly to solo players, thus why Halo 5s Beta consisted almost exclusively of partied up players playing full tryharrd mode. It was a sweatfest in there which is fun when you want to play competitively, but when you just want to relax…not so much.

Win/Loss is the true indication if you are better or worse than the players you currently meet. This then translates into a ranking system that just sends you up or down depending on if you win or lose.

K/D (Kills / Deaths) will show individual skill in a weird way. Players above 3 K/D are camping and crouching most of the time, not helping their team to get the win. All players above 4 K/D I’ve ever seen have quit as soon as they meet me, since they don’t want to ruin their precious K/D. Players between 2 and 3 are usually really good in individual skill, but not necessarily good team-players.

KDA (Kills + Assists / Deaths) is a better stat than K/D since it will display more how much you actually help your team. I love that 343 put KDA right smack in the middle of a players service record. Although I would want to see a W/L there too.

> 2533274908248642;16:
> Because if you do that you will end up with a Call of Duty-like culture of ingnoring objectives in favor of kills or worse yet, using objectives as kill farm rather than playing them. And the last thing we want is more people complaining that 343 is turning Halo into CoD.
>
> I will say however, W/L based aren’t very friendly to solo players, thus why Halo 5s Beta consisted almost exclusively of partied up players playing full tryharrd mode. It was a sweatfest in there which is fun when you want to play competitively, but when you just want to relax…not so much.

It has been a huge problem for the last 5 years but there is a way that 343 can remedy this. They can just implement the same matchmaking criteria as H2 and H3 had back in the days, which are the following: If you search alone or with 1 friend, you can only match players that search alone or with 1 friend. If you search in a party of 3 or 4, you can only match parties of 3 and 4. For the last 5 years, without these criteria, it has been close to impossible to reach ones true rank by playing alone, and it has been far too easy to get beyond ones true rank by playing in full teams.

I sure hope 343 has implemented these criteria for Halo 5 matchmaking.

> 2533274962008908;18:
> > 2533274908248642;16:
> > Because if you do that you will end up with a Call of Duty-like culture of ingnoring objectives in favor of kills or worse yet, using objectives as kill farm rather than playing them. And the last thing we want is more people complaining that 343 is turning Halo into CoD.
> >
> > I will say however, W/L based aren’t very friendly to solo players, thus why Halo 5s Beta consisted almost exclusively of partied up players playing full tryharrd mode. It was a sweatfest in there which is fun when you want to play competitively, but when you just want to relax…not so much.
>
>
> It has been a huge problem for the last 5 years but there is a way that 343 can remedy this. They can just implement the same matchmaking criteria as H2 and H3 had back in the days, which are the following: If you search alone or with 1 friend, you can only match players that search alone or with 1 friend. If you search in a party of 3 or 4, you can only match parties of 3 and 4. For the last 5 years, without these criteria, it has been close to impossible to reach ones true rank by playing alone, and it has been far too easy to get beyond ones true rank by playing in full teams.
>
> I sure hope 343 has implemented these criteria for Halo 5 matchmaking.

Well said. Unfortunately it does not sound like they’re planning to do as you suggest. We’ll just have to wait and see, I guess.

> 2533274795123910;8:
> > 2533274946634226;9:
> > > 2533274795123910;8:
> > > Well, if we have two equal low skill players who fight, then we can assume both players’ KD would be around 1, no? Then we have two vastly better players of equal skill who fight, can we not assume then as well that their respective KD would be around 1?
> > >
> > > Now of course we’re talking about a team game, so each individual is of course going to have their own KD, but that doesn’t mean they don’t contribute in other ways, some even perhaps detrimental to your KD but beneficial for the team overall.
> > >
> > > Another aspect to take into consideration with KD is the selfish playstyle it promotes. It’s more beneficial for yourself to betrsy a team mate and take their power weapon as they don’t get the kills, they die once and you have the potential to get more kills.
> > >
> > > Reach’s Arena system first looked at individual pergormance, but they changed it to a pure W/L system later.
> >
> >
> > I think there’s plenty more to be said for the value of a player’s K/D than you make it sound here… You need to be alive to actively contribute something to the team. Sure, callouts are great, but if you die twice as often as you kill someone, you’re spending a lot of time at the respawn team, which actually might be worse for your team when playing objective game types than it is standard slayer.
>
>
> Of course we can discuss what it means to have a bad KD, and how we could see if it’s a good or bad player. However, I’d say that if you actually want to use KD as an indication of how good you are, atleast in slayer, you need to play constantly players who aren’t in your own skill range, meaning a majority of loopsided matches, an overwhelmingly large majority.

Completely agree. I’m all for W/L rank systems. I’m all for the 1-50 system that has always done its’ job admirably well. I probably could have phrased my earlier post a little bit better. Wasn’t disagreeing with you…more so just throwing in some food-for-thought on the side.