Halo 5 Radar (Poll)

Do you think that radar is beneficial to Halo? Do you think that radar should be removed going forward into Halo 5?

On one hand, radar can create some interesting gameplay as far as having to crouch, making assassinations more difficult, etc. Radar has also been apart of Halo from the beginning, and removing it could be jolting to the community.

On the other hand - and this is my opinion - I feel that radar somewhat “cheapens” the gameplay. Flanking becomes extremely difficult, map awareness becomes less important, pre-'nading becomes spamtacular, and camping is made easier. Obviously I think radar should be an option in gametypes, but in my opinion, it should be removed from most playlists. I really feel that it would help gameplay.

In Halo 1-3, the radar had a shorter range, but in Halo Reach, and then again in Halo 4, the range was increased dramatically.

What is your opinion?

The radar has been part of Halo, it doesn’t cheapen the experience at all. I just means that you can’t run around the map without a care - if you want to not be on it you have to go slowly but that comes with its own set of problems. You’ve stated these things but I don’t think you understand just how big a part of Halo they are.

Removing it doesn’t make any sense to me. I don’t think it would help the game-play at all, people who are keeping an eye out will still have a benefit over those that don’t. The radar simply acts as another tool for the player.

> The radar has been part of Halo, it doesn’t cheapen the experience at all. I just means that you can’t run around the map without a care - if you want to not be on it you have to go slowly but that comes with its own set of problems. You’ve stated these things but I don’t think you understand just how big a part of Halo they are.
>
> Removing it doesn’t make any sense to me. I don’t think it would help the game-play at all, people who are keeping an eye out will still have a benefit over those that don’t. The radar simply acts as another tool for the player.

Radar IMO lessens the need for map awareness. It also promoted camping because it impedes on your ability to flank or “fake out” your opponent. A camper can sit in a corner, or on a sniper tower, and use the radar to check for flankers. Making pushes becomes extremely difficult. Over-all the radar reduces skill gap, which is why almost every competitive gametype in the history of Halo disables it.

To your point about “it stops people from running around the map without a care”, its actually the opposite. Radar allows players to walk around without a care because they can simply stare at their radar to find enemies. Having no radar forces players to check their surroundings, and be careful when pushing.

Radar also slows gameplay down a lot when both players are at a stalemate and cannot advance towards eachother without being seen on radar.

No Halo FPS has ever had radar by default. However, they have had motion trackers. There’s a difference.

I see no reason to remove motion trackers from regular playlists. I think it provides for more accessibility without compromising the integrity of the rest of the gameplay or making the competitive playlists too different from the regular ones.

I like how radar can lessen the chances of “see first, kill first.”

I always liked radar. No radar team gametypes favor coordinated teams and discourage the possibility of winning with randoms. It works better than somethin like no radar rumble pit, which can be a mess. Those with good awareness should be fine in no radar gametypes.

Nothing needs to be changed here. Halo should comprise of both radar and non radar playlists like usually. The radar distance should be shortened. Halo 4’s covers more area and a perk to cover even more, and another perk to keep radar in scope lol. Guardians shouldn’t take tips from 4 in radar. Reach’s is nice evolution of Halo 3, the 1st to show highground and lowground dots in radar…

I don’t mind motion tracker all that much. For the most part it isn’t a large issue in casual games.

Obviously it should be disabled for competitive gamemodes or niche modes like SWAT.

That said the motion tracker in recent games has been excessive and should be reduced to more reasonable levels.

All for motion tracker, and I like the more recent enhancements, namely

-vehicle outlines (H4)
-arrows indicating elevation of opponent (Reach, I think)

It might not belong in SWAT, MLG, or some customs, but I see no reason why it shouldn’t be elsewhere.

> All for motion tracker, and I like the more recent enhancements, namely
>
> -vehicle outlines (H4)
> -arrows indicating elevation of opponent (Reach, I think)
>
> It might not belong in SWAT, MLG, or some customs, but I see no reason why it shouldn’t be elsewhere.

Exactly. It should be a default - and if a particular playlist (i.e. SWAT) is designed not to have it, then it can be removed from that list.

I do think the range should be reduced, though. It’s almost impossible to flank on anything but the big team maps without the tracker giving excessive warning.

If I had to choose one thing in halo which I love about it, it would be in fact the motion tracker. Whenever i play cod, I cannot really play for a long period of time, since the amount of backreaping is just unbearable for me. In 9 out of 10 deaths I’ll get killed from behind, having absolutely no chance to react regardless how skilled I would be.

In halo this simply does not exist, or is reduced to a minimum. Even if it happens that someome gets me from behind (lol), I’ll still have time to react and fight back, because of longer kill times of course.
However these situations are very rare, because of the motion tracker. It just encourages face to face battles, and keeps the sneaky -Yoink- away. I love it.

Motion tracker need to return to how in Halo 2 and 3. Right now in H4 it has way too much range, and the elevation indicator gives players too much readily available information for them to use. Not to mention that it doesn’t even make sense for a motion tracker to highlight the outline of an unmoving vehicle.

As it stands motion sensor is a little too powerful for its own good. Not being able to see the enemies’ elevation played a key factor into the game’s verticality; for example, on Guardian, the middle area had a bottom walkway and a top middle to traverse, so players who saw a blip on their motion sensor would have to watch both areas to counter a flank. This allowed players who got active camo to trick the enemy because they wouldn’t know where he would be coming from. In reach and H4 this is no longer possible. On the other hand, increasing the range of the radar was probably to compensate for the upscaled maps that 343 was forced to do to accommodate sprint, but what it did was make the motion sensor way too influential. Players would have an extra set of eyes out to even middle ranges; combine this with a whole team of players spread out on even a middle sized map like solace, and you have almost complete awareness of your side of the map, which discourages map movement.

Motion tracker allows for hilarious things like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH1ApKjVQ6Y

Anyway, I don’t mind the Halo 2/3 tracker being in normal playlists. It certainly needs to be in FFA. It’s nice in Team Slayer because it makes going in with randoms possible.

I hope they make it a little more visible to those of us with poor color vision, though. I can’t really make use of Halo 4’s motion tracker because of how transparent it is and how “faded” the dots are. Halo 3’s worked best for me because the background was opaque and the dots were extremely bold.

Also, since active camo is no longer an armor ability, it needs to be a pickup item. As a pickup, it needs to stop the radar jamming nonsense.

Keep it in most, no sense in out Spartans “downgrading”.

When you’ve played Halo from the start you have to get used to certain features, like them or not, they make halo, halo, so to be quite honest the radar hasn’t bothered me much over the years.

I believe No Radar is better, but I also believe a lot of people would refuse to play without it.

It’s best left off in niche playlists.

> Keep it in most, no sense in out Spartans “downgrading”.

Realism/immersion aside, the point of removing radar is to better promote stealth tactics and put more emphasis on communication. You can’t effectively sneak up on someone if the only way to do so is slowly crouch walk to their location.

Radar is a vital component of unarranged team playlists; they simply wouldn’t be playable without it. Lone Wolves and playlists designed specifically for prearranged teams (e.g. Halo 3 MLG) obviously don’t need it. Perhaps there could be playlists that require a mike, they wouldn’t need radar either.

> I believe No Radar is better, but I also believe a lot of people would refuse to play without it.
>
> <mark>It’s best left off in niche playlists.</mark>
>
>
>
> > Keep it in most, no sense in out Spartans “downgrading”.
>
> Realism/immersion aside, the point of removing radar is to better promote stealth tactics and put more emphasis on communication. You can’t effectively sneak up on someone if the only way to do so is slowly crouch walk to their location.

Agreed with highlighted

If it isn’t broken don’t fix it.

Mmmmm, I’m not 100% on this, but I think the motion tracker should stay, but without the elevation (and maybe vehicle) indicators, and with shortened range. Make it require just a little bit more guess work.

I agree with removing it in certain gametypes/playlists, but to remove it entirely from the game would really be making Halo into a “See-first-Kill-first” game.

Don’t call your post a poll when all the votes are all biased. at least have one say “keep it”