Halo 5 productive criticism

Halo 5, or Halo 4 (2.0), falls flat for one too many reasons. One too many for me to let it go. DO NOT get me started on the absence of split screen, although this is nearly unforgivable I’ll keep my mouth shut and overlook this glaring flaw as I have other axes to grind:

Maps. First and foremost let’s go already and make a larger variety of maps, some DLC including something other than the 5 cookie cutter turds currently in the rotation.

Weapons. Each weapon is the same. The DMR shoots at basically the same rate and does the same damage as the Magnum. Battle rifle is the same deal, but (o)oh it only takes 4 shots instead of 5. Plasma pistol and the lunge on the sword have both been rendered worthless. Shotgun and SMG may be the only real good weapons lying around. Camping for power weapons, overshield invisibility and waiting for ambush-double kills is REAL fun 343i! Weapons aren’t very powerful in general and often require full clips plus melee and/or grenades before a player dies, especially as everyone has infinite sprint, not to mention slide and boost, oh did I mention health AND shield that both recharge at the same rate?

Frag grenades. Nothing but a liability as they do quite literally 0 damage and leave you vulnerable in virtually every situation. Clink clink they go. Worthless grenades that even when a person walks right over one with a downed shield they don’t die or even seem fazed.

Playlist rankings. They go wildly up and down based on the results of a single match even if decided by piss poor teammates or blatant hacks? Congratulations, back to the drawing board boys.

On behalf of Halo fans every where, my advice to 343 is to quit tinkering with what isn’t broken and take what could have easily been game of the year and reward the fans of this franchise with something other than Halo 4 dressed up as another Call of duty game. 60 fps is great but honestly the gameplay, both SP and MP is lacking to put it mildly.

Maybe give me some more maps, split screen and fix the aiming and you’ll shut me up, until then I’ll hold my breath for Halo 6.

Other notable gripes weren’t mentioned.

Just curious – have you ever played any of the other Halo games competitively? I ask because a lot of your criticisms aren’t unique to 343.

A single frag grenade has never been enough to kill an opponent. The BR and DMR have similar TTK because the DMR was designed to be similar to the BR in terms of gameplay (Halo: Reach). The magnum has seen periods of being over-powered (CE) and laughably useless (Halo 3). The version in Halo 5 is a happy medium. The only Halo’s in which health and shield aren’t unified are CE and Reach. Also, camping for power weapons is and has always been a legitimate strategy; one that can be overcome by situational awareness.

I agree with most of the other stuff, particularly playlist rankings, flawed aiming, and lack of split-screen.

EDIT:
The plasma pistol is more powerful than it has ever been. The lunge on the energy sword can be increased using Smart-Link. I get where you are coming from, but I feel like the majority of your 3rd paragraph is simply due to lack of experience.

The weapons aren’t so much the issue as the abysmal selection of same sized maps that make them ineffective or inapplicable. That said the grenades are absolutely useless. They used to send a player flying. The assault rifle is far less effective as is the plasma pistol which I rarely see used. It’s okay, there’s no need to apologise for the decisions that were made. Let’s just be honest, we don’t need to give credit where it isn’t due, when again what’s being fixed wasn’t broken.

FYI: Avid player and fan of every other Halo, except 4. On the fence about Guardians. But more maps would certainly do a lot to appease me.

> 2535465405108756;3:
> The weapons aren’t so much the issue as the abysmal selection of same sized maps that make them ineffective or inapplicable. That said the grenades are absolutely useless. They used to send a player flying. The assault rifle is far less effective as is the plasma pistol which I rarely see used. It’s okay, there’s no need to apologise for the decisions that were made. Let’s just be honest, we don’t need to give credit where it isn’t due, when again what’s being fixed wasn’t broken.
>
> FYI: Avid player and fan of every other Halo, except 4. On the fence about Guardians. But more maps would certainly do a lot to appease me.

Now there’s something I never thought I’d read on these forums. One of the biggest controversies in Halo 5 is how much more powerful automatic weapons are now compared to the previous games. The AR is a beast.

I still think you just need more experience placing frag grenades because they seem pretty capable to me. I swear 343 added magnetism to them because the amount of times I’ve had a frag bounce off a wall and smack me straight in the face is too damn coincidental.

Definitely need more map variety. Couldn’t agree with you more there.

Stop kicking the corpse.

Haha I don’t know, you must be throwing different grenades than me. Go back and play Halo 3 and tell me the AR and Battle rifles didn’t mow you down. The maps used to take a while to walk from one side to the other. Now you can cross literally every map to the furthermost point in under 10 seconds and every one zips around so it’s impossible to avoid being ambushed or ambushing someone so again the SMG or SG are the most rewarded other than rocket spamming which just gets irritating.

For the record I was playing at an Onyx level and am currently working back up through Diamond since the January-February season reset, and have thoroughly enjoyed almost every other Halo, so it isn’t for lack of experience or skill that I submit this input.

> 2535465405108756;6:
> Haha I don’t know, you must be throwing different grenades than me. Go back and play Halo 3 and tell me the AR and Battle rifles didn’t mow you down. The maps used to take a while to walk from one side to the other. Now you can cross literally every map to the furthermost point in under 10 seconds and every one zips around so it’s impossible to avoid being ambushed or ambushing someone so again the SMG or SG are the most rewarded other than rocket spamming which just gets irritating.

Yeah, but the only reason the AR gets so many kills in Halo 3 is because it’s a starting weapon. If you had two players engage each other at medium range in Halo 3 (assuming they’re both competent players) and one had a BR while the other had an AR, the BR would win hands down. Halo 5 isn’t so black and white. At medium range the AR would actually stand a good chance against the BR.

> 2535465405108756;1:
> Halo 5, or Halo 4 (2.0), falls flat for one too many reasons. One too many for me to let it go. DO NOT get me started on the absence of split screen, although this is nearly unforgivable I’ll keep my mouth shut and overlook this glaring flaw as I have other axes to grind:
>
> Maps. First and foremost let’s go already and make a larger variety of maps, some DLC including something other than the 5 cookie cutter turds currently in the rotation. **Halo 5 has the most maps in matchmaking of any halo game. I can see where you think they’re of similar size, but we already have enough maps as it is.**Weapons. Each weapon is the same. That’s not true. The DMR shoots at basically the same rate and does the same damage as the Magnum. Yes, but the DMR us still slightly more powerful. Battle rifle is the same deal, but (o)oh it only takes 4 shots instead of 5. The firerate, number of bullets shot per trigger pull, ammo capacity, bullets/shots to kill, and TTK are all different. Them having similar TTKs is for balance and does not mean they’re “basically the same.” Plasma pistol and the lunge on the sword have both been rendered worthless. This statement is what really makes we think you don’t really have the best understanding. This plasma pistol is the most powerful plasma pistol to date. It has the most range, the best tracking capabilities, and most magnetism for a regular shot. You are also given a tremendous range boost when aiming down sights and both the energy sword and plasma pistol, Shotgun and SMG may be the only real good weapons lying around. Camping for power weapons, overshield invisibility and waiting for ambush-double kills is REAL fun 343i! This is how it’s always been. You can’t blame 343. Weapons aren’t very powerful in general and often require full clips plus melee and/or grenades before a player dies, This is also not true. Halo 5’s weapons are next to CE in terms of power. especially as everyone has infinite sprint, not to mention slide and boost, What does that have to do with anything? oh did I mention health AND shield that both recharge at the same rate? **Besides CE and Reach, this is how it’s always been. You can just see it now in halo 5.**Frag grenades. Nothing but a liability as they do quite literally 0 damage and leave you vulnerable in virtually every situation. Clink clink they go. Worthless grenades that even when a person walks right over one with a downed shield they don’t die or even seem fazed. **Once again, this isn’t true. Grenades are very powerful in halo 5 because they have a huge blast radius. Give me an example of how weak they are please.**Playlist rankings. They go wildly up and down based on the results of a single match even if decided by piss poor teammates or blatant hacks? Congratulations, back to the drawing board boys. **They go about a fourth or fifth of the meter up or down depending on whether you win or lose. They aren’t wild at all.**On behalf of Halo fans every where, You don’t speak for anyone except yourself. my advice to 343 is to quit tinkering with what isn’t broken Then there will never be improvement. and take what could have easily been game of the year and reward the fans of this franchise with something other than Halo 4 dressed up as another Call of duty game. 60 fps is great but honestly the gameplay, both SP and MP is lacking to put it mildly.
>
> Maybe give me some more maps, split screen and fix the aiming and you’ll shut me up, until then I’ll hold my breath for Halo 6.
>
> Other notable gripes weren’t mentioned.

Responded in bold. You really got to do your research before posting things that aren’t true.

Stopped reading at “H5 is H4 (2.0)”…

> 2535455681930574;9:
> > 2535465405108756;1:
> > Halo 5, or Halo 4 (2.0), falls flat for one too many reasons. One too many for me to let it go. DO NOT get me started on the absence of split screen, although this is nearly unforgivable I’ll keep my mouth shut and overlook this glaring flaw as I have other axes to grind:
> >
> > Maps. First and foremost let’s go already and make a larger variety of maps, some DLC including something other than the 5 cookie cutter turds currently in the rotation. **Halo 5 has the most maps in matchmaking of any halo game. I can see where you think they’re of similar size, but we already have enough maps as it is.**Weapons. Each weapon is the same. That’s not true. The DMR shoots at basically the same rate and does the same damage as the Magnum. Yes, but the DMR us still slightly more powerful. Battle rifle is the same deal, but (o)oh it only takes 4 shots instead of 5. The firerate, number of bullets shot per trigger pull, ammo capacity, bullets/shots to kill, and TTK are all different. Them having similar TTKs is for balance and does not mean they’re “basically the same.” Plasma pistol and the lunge on the sword have both been rendered worthless. This statement is what really makes we think you don’t really have the best understanding. This plasma pistol is the most powerful plasma pistol to date. It has the most range, the best tracking capabilities, and most magnetism for a regular shot. You are also given a tremendous range boost when aiming down sights and both the energy sword and plasma pistol, Shotgun and SMG may be the only real good weapons lying around. Camping for power weapons, overshield invisibility and waiting for ambush-double kills is REAL fun 343i! This is how it’s always been. You can’t blame 343. Weapons aren’t very powerful in general and often require full clips plus melee and/or grenades before a player dies, This is also not true. Halo 5’s weapons are next to CE in terms of power. especially as everyone has infinite sprint, not to mention slide and boost, What does that have to do with anything? oh did I mention health AND shield that both recharge at the same rate? **Besides CE and Reach, this is how it’s always been. You can just see it now in halo 5.**Frag grenades. Nothing but a liability as they do quite literally 0 damage and leave you vulnerable in virtually every situation. Clink clink they go. Worthless grenades that even when a person walks right over one with a downed shield they don’t die or even seem fazed. **Once again, this isn’t true. Grenades are very powerful in halo 5 because they have a huge blast radius. Give me an example of how weak they are please.**Playlist rankings. They go wildly up and down based on the results of a single match even if decided by piss poor teammates or blatant hacks? Congratulations, back to the drawing board boys. **They go about a fourth or fifth of the meter up or down depending on whether you win or lose. They aren’t wild at all.**On behalf of Halo fans every where, You don’t speak for anyone except yourself. my advice to 343 is to quit tinkering with what isn’t broken Then there will never be improvement. and take what could have easily been game of the year and reward the fans of this franchise with something other than Halo 4 dressed up as another Call of duty game. 60 fps is great but honestly the gameplay, both SP and MP is lacking to put it mildly.
> >
> > Maybe give me some more maps, split screen and fix the aiming and you’ll shut me up, until then I’ll hold my breath for Halo 6.
> >
> > Other notable gripes weren’t mentioned.
>
> Responded in bold. You really got to do your research before posting things that aren’t true.

I have to agree with Arc. Long story short it sounds like the OP can’t get used to the aiming, hence why he thinks the shotgun and smg are the most useful guns. The aiming is tough but once you get used to it you clearly see the difference in the weapons.

I find it interesting that OP refers to Halo 5 as “Halo 4 2.0”, yet neglects to mention that Halo 5 did away with much of what made Halo 4 MP the least “Halo” of all Halo multiplayers: ordinance drops, loadouts, perks, and “choose your own” armor abilities.

At least in Arena. :stuck_out_tongue:Also, it’s worth noting that for criticism to be constructive or “productive”, one should provide alternatives or ideas to fix every negative point addressed. You’ve gotta be as specific with how’d you fix the bad things as you are with identifying them.

My suggestion is to get back to basics. It’s possible to make a new game with original concepts without doing away with or ruining aspects of the game that were better 10 years ago than they are now. Map selection and weapons shouldn’t become worse as the games get “better”. I’m not asking for much, considering. This is mostly my opinion and experience anyway so just thought this would be a good place to voice my frustrations.

> 2535465405108756;13:
> My suggestion is to get back to basics. It’s possible to make a new game with original concepts without doing away with or ruining aspects of the game that were better 10 years ago than they are now. Map selection and weapons shouldn’t become worse as the games get “better”. I’m not asking for much, considering. This is mostly my opinion and experience anyway so just thought this would be a good place to voice my frustrations.

If you actually made any good points besides the splitscreen one I might be willing to listen, but you didn’t so I won’t. All of your points have been refuted by people who care more than I, so I just wanted to say, “You got pwned, son!” And yes, I did say pwned, I am old school.

Point by point refutation makes it seem like you can’t admit that the game had it’s flaw which we all know it does. Give a 10/10 and delude yourself I guess??? Consider me lawyered cause you have an airtight case. Derp.

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.</mark>
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

> 2533274816788253;11:
> > 2535455681930574;9:
> > > 2535465405108756;1:
> > > Halo 5, or Halo 4 (2.0), falls flat for one too many reasons. One too many for me to let it go. DO NOT get me started on the absence of split screen, although this is nearly unforgivable I’ll keep my mouth shut and overlook this glaring flaw as I have other axes to grind:
> > >
> > > Maps. First and foremost let’s go already and make a larger variety of maps, some DLC including something other than the 5 cookie cutter turds currently in the rotation. **Halo 5 has the most maps in matchmaking of any halo game. I can see where you think they’re of similar size, but we already have enough maps as it is.**Weapons. Each weapon is the same. That’s not true. The DMR shoots at basically the same rate and does the same damage as the Magnum. Yes, but the DMR us still slightly more powerful. Battle rifle is the same deal, but (o)oh it only takes 4 shots instead of 5. The firerate, number of bullets shot per trigger pull, ammo capacity, bullets/shots to kill, and TTK are all different. Them having similar TTKs is for balance and does not mean they’re “basically the same.” Plasma pistol and the lunge on the sword have both been rendered worthless. This statement is what really makes we think you don’t really have the best understanding. This plasma pistol is the most powerful plasma pistol to date. It has the most range, the best tracking capabilities, and most magnetism for a regular shot. You are also given a tremendous range boost when aiming down sights and both the energy sword and plasma pistol, Shotgun and SMG may be the only real good weapons lying around. Camping for power weapons, overshield invisibility and waiting for ambush-double kills is REAL fun 343i! This is how it’s always been. You can’t blame 343. Weapons aren’t very powerful in general and often require full clips plus melee and/or grenades before a player dies, This is also not true. Halo 5’s weapons are next to CE in terms of power. especially as everyone has infinite sprint, not to mention slide and boost, What does that have to do with anything? oh did I mention health AND shield that both recharge at the same rate? **Besides CE and Reach, this is how it’s always been. You can just see it now in halo 5.**Frag grenades. Nothing but a liability as they do quite literally 0 damage and leave you vulnerable in virtually every situation. Clink clink they go. Worthless grenades that even when a person walks right over one with a downed shield they don’t die or even seem fazed. **Once again, this isn’t true. Grenades are very powerful in halo 5 because they have a huge blast radius. Give me an example of how weak they are please.**Playlist rankings. They go wildly up and down based on the results of a single match even if decided by piss poor teammates or blatant hacks? Congratulations, back to the drawing board boys. **They go about a fourth or fifth of the meter up or down depending on whether you win or lose. They aren’t wild at all.**On behalf of Halo fans every where, You don’t speak for anyone except yourself. my advice to 343 is to quit tinkering with what isn’t broken Then there will never be improvement. and take what could have easily been game of the year and reward the fans of this franchise with something other than Halo 4 dressed up as another Call of duty game. 60 fps is great but honestly the gameplay, both SP and MP is lacking to put it mildly.
> > >
> > > Maybe give me some more maps, split screen and fix the aiming and you’ll shut me up, until then I’ll hold my breath for Halo 6.
> > >
> > > Other notable gripes weren’t mentioned.
> >
> > Responded in bold. You really got to do your research before posting things that aren’t true.
>
> I have to agree with Arc. Long story short it sounds like the OP can’t get used to the aiming, hence why he thinks the shotgun and smg are the most useful guns. The aiming is tough but once you get used to it you clearly see the difference in the weapons.

Derp.

Please refrain from bring back old topics. Thank you.

No. Thank you.

> 2535465405108756;18:
> No. Thank you.

How about you quote me so that I know you are talking to me rather than hiding, yet again please refrain from bringing back old topics. This never got off the ground. Thank you.

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members.</mark>
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

> 2533274972430429;19:
> > 2535465405108756;18:
> > No. Thank you.
>
> How about you quote me so that I know you are talking to me rather than hiding, yet again please refrain from bringing back old topics. This never got off the ground. Thank you.

Hey. Just wanted you to know I meant you. I mean to specifically disregard your post and yours only because IDGAF. Also Halo 5 is awful and the developers should be as ashamed for making it as I am for buying it. Have a nice life dill.hole.