Halo 5: Plasma Repeater or Storm Rifle?

Now, based on what the title says, you may be wondering on why there isn’t a “Plasma Rifle” appearing. That’s because the Plasma Rifle has had a role comparable to a “secondary weapon” in its most recent incarnations, and it’s iconic function in CE seems to have been left behind.

Assuming that Loadouts return in Halo 5, if you had to choose, which would you want to be the primary Covenant automatic loadout weapon: The Storm Rifle, or the Plasma Repeater?

• Introduced in the Halo: Reach Multiplayer Beta, the Plasma Repeater was originally going to be Halo Reach’s Plasma Rifle instead of a separate gun. However, for reasons that I do not know, the Plasma Repeater was turned into a separate weapon. With extra shield damage and an increase in accuracy at the cost of ROF ability as the gun is shot, the Plasma Repeater is different from the Assault Rifle, yet fills its role with the same amount of efficiency.

• Introduced in Halo 4, the Storm Rifle is a more “rugged” version of the Plasma Rifle. With a larger shape that’s comparable to the size of an Assault Rifle, the Storm Rifle seems very similar to it in more than just aesthetic. While it did do extra shield damage, the Storm Rifle just had an overheat function rather than a venting function. Despite its apparent short comings, the Storm Rifle was arguably a very satisfying weapon to use effectively, and it’s relevance to current canon is very significant.

I really liked the Plasma Repeater. It fulfilled its role without being almost an exact copy of the assault rifle. It also looked Covenant unlike the plasma repeater.

> I really liked the Plasma Repeater. It fulfilled its role without being almost an exact copy of the assault rifle. It also looked Covenant unlike the plasma repeater.

This but it could have a damage buff.

Storm Rifle, but give it a x2 scope.

> > I really liked the Plasma Repeater. It fulfilled its role without being almost an exact copy of the assault rifle. It also looked Covenant unlike the Storm Rifle.
>
> This <mark>but it could have a damage buff.</mark>

I didn’t have much problems with beating an Assault Rifle with the Plasma Repeater. While it may be that I am extremely good with that weapon, I’ve won almost every encounter against most weapons with it.

So I don’t necessarily think it needs a buff.

> > > I really liked the Plasma Repeater. It fulfilled its role without being almost an exact copy of the assault rifle. It also looked Covenant unlike the Storm Rifle.
> >
> > This <mark>but it could have a damage buff.</mark>
>
> I didn’t have much problems with beating an Assault Rifle with the Plasma Repeater. While it may be that I am extremely good with that weapon, I’ve won almost every encounter against most weapons with it.
>
> So I don’t necessarily think it needs a buff.

True but it needed a slight one, at least so it can evenly match with the H4 AR.

> > > I really liked the Plasma Repeater. It fulfilled its role without being almost an exact copy of the assault rifle. It also looked Covenant unlike the Storm Rifle.
> >
> > This <mark>but it could have a damage buff.</mark>
>
> I didn’t have much problems with beating an Assault Rifle with the Plasma Repeater. While it may be that I am extremely good with that weapon, I’ve won almost every encounter against most weapons with it.
>
> So I don’t necessarily think it needs a buff.

From experience I’ve seen that very few players are able to win a fight against an AR when they have the Repeater. I feel a damage boost would be appropriate as then it would equal out in a direct encounter with the AR, but then more skilled players could be almost guaranteed to come out on top.

I much rather have the Halo CE Plasma Rifle.

I liked the Plasma Repeater more. The only thing I wished Bungie did with it was make it a Brute Weapon and make it Red instead of Blue.

I find the storm rifle more effective then the plasma repeater in my personal experience, never found the plasma repeater useful. :confused:

Neither. I’d much rather have a straight up plasma rifle or brute plasma rifle back.

> Storm Rifle, but give it a x2 scope.

No 2x scope, but yes, Storm Rifle.

> > > > I really liked the Plasma Repeater. It fulfilled its role without being almost an exact copy of the assault rifle. It also looked Covenant unlike the Storm Rifle.
> > >
> > > This <mark>but it could have a damage buff.</mark>
> >
> > I didn’t have much problems with beating an Assault Rifle with the Plasma Repeater. While it may be that I am extremely good with that weapon, I’ve won almost every encounter against most weapons with it.
> >
> > So I don’t necessarily think it needs a buff.
>
> From experience I’ve seen that very few players are able to win a fight against an AR when they have the Repeater. I feel a damage boost would be appropriate as then it would equal out in a direct encounter with the AR, <mark>but then more skilled players could be almost guaranteed to come out on top.</mark>

Skill Gap > Damage Boost

Aesthetically/Canonically, there’s no reason to bring the Repeater back.

Are we talking about the gameplay mechanics themselves, i.e:
Longer, more accurate fire.
Consistently accurate fire.

I’d prefer a weapon that is consistently accurate, or one that loses accuracy over time.

Gaining accuracy over time doesn’t help much unless my enemy decides to run away.

Neither. I hate them both… the Plasma Repeater just a bit less, though. The Storm Rifle should be deleted. I’d honestly say just make the Plasma Rifle a bit more powerful and there you go.

My vote it for the Plasma Rifle. I don’t think we really need the Covenant versions of the AR.

Storm Rifle but with a slight buff to damage.

> > > > > I really liked the Plasma Repeater. It fulfilled its role without being almost an exact copy of the assault rifle. It also looked Covenant unlike the Storm Rifle.
> > > >
> > > > This <mark>but it could have a damage buff.</mark>
> > >
> > > I didn’t have much problems with beating an Assault Rifle with the Plasma Repeater. While it may be that I am extremely good with that weapon, I’ve won almost every encounter against most weapons with it.
> > >
> > > So I don’t necessarily think it needs a buff.
> >
> > From experience I’ve seen that very few players are able to win a fight against an AR when they have the Repeater. I feel a damage boost would be appropriate as then it would equal out in a direct encounter with the AR, <mark>but then more skilled players could be almost guaranteed to come out on top.</mark>
>
> Skill Gap > Damage Boost

Skill gap still needs to be be the right size. If 90% of players are turned off by the weapon and first and never use it, then I think it’s fair to say it needs a damage boost to make it a bit easier.

Plasma Rifle.

Just because it was castrated in Reach, to make the repeater look better, does not mean that we cannot (or should not) go back to the classic Plasma Rifle. The Space Heater(Plasma Repeater) and the Pebble Spitter(Storm Rifle) can both take a hike in my opinion.

Well in Halo 5 I’d like to see the Plasma rifle as a secondary so with the Repeater and PR being so similar it’s visually unappealing to me.

The look of the SR has grown on me so I’d rather see the SR over the Repeater as a primary Covenant automatic.

However I want the SR to have shield draining to separate Plasma autos from UNSC autos. Same goes for the PR of course.

And I’d like either the PR or SR’s plasma color to change to purple or some other color just to avoid any chance of confusion to what weapon is being fired at you.