Halo 5 Opening

When does the Halo 5 Opening take place?
I’ve seen people say it’s during Reach, but I don’t think that would make much sense, as Halsey looks nearly as old as she does in Halo 5, and she seems to be talking to Locke. The photo of Miranda Keyes also appears to be her during the Halo 2 opening.
Perhaps the narration and visuals are not occurring at the same time, and simply overlapped to show she’s talking to Locke about ONI ordering Locke to kill her and Cortana? Or her and Chief?
Anyone have any helpful info on this other than speculation?

It was in ONI Castle Base, probably a few years before the fall of Reach. Based on her interaction with Cortana, it was probably when Cortana was created in 2549 (I think it was). Halsey’s agappearance is probably just them using the same model for Halsey as the rest of the campaign to save money. As for the Miranda picture, the one from H2A would be the highest quality they have without creating a new one from scratch. For the Canon in that, it was probably an earlier ceremony because Miranda has been in the Navy for more than a few years and has been to several ceremonies.

> 2533274924282060;2:
> It was in ONI Castle Base, probably a few years before the fall of Reach. Based on her interaction with Cortana, it was probably when Cortana was created in 2549 (I think it was). Halsey’s agappearance is probably just them using the same model for Halsey as the rest of the campaign to save money. As for the Miranda picture, the one from H2A would be the highest quality they have without creating a new one from scratch. For the Canon in that, it was probably an earlier ceremony because Miranda has been in the Navy for more than a few years and has been to several ceremonies.

Great answer!

I think the narravtive and visuals happend at different times, and that it might be her talking to Locke in his early days as an ONI-agent.

From what Halsey put Cortana in, it almost looked like the scene in Halo: Reach. That canister looked similar to what Six is given to give to Captain Keys.
That’s just my thoughts, as Halsey talking to Locke could’ve been just another convo that happened before then.

> 2535455451217423;1:
> When does the Halo 5 Opening take place?
> I’ve seen people say it’s during Reach, but I don’t think that would make much sense, as Halsey looks nearly as old as she does in Halo 5, and she seems to be talking to Locke. The photo of Miranda Keyes also appears to be her during the Halo 2 opening.
> Perhaps the narration and visuals are not occurring at the same time, and simply overlapped to show she’s talking to Locke about ONI ordering Locke to kill her and Cortana? Or her and Chief?
> Anyone have any helpful info on this other than speculation?

My thoughts are that this scene was when Noble team was defending her so she can put finishing touches on the “package”.

Well, there’s three things that are apparent in the scene.

• A photo of Miranda Keyes. - Halsey’s journal. - Cortana Armored matrix.This leads me to believe that the scene occurs in either CASTLE or SWORD base around the same timeline as Halo: The Fall of Reach/Halo: Reach.

Yeah it definitely take place just before Noble arrive to take Cortana to the Pillar of Autumn.

> 2533274810945725;7:
> Yeah it definitely take place just before Noble arrive to take Cortana to the Pillar of Autumn.

Well yeah, or we would have seen them there.
I also don’t think they would have put old Halsey in a scene where she should have looked younger.

The more I think about it, I think this has to be pretty current. I’m wondering if this will be something we find out about in future installments of Halo comics, books, or movies. Maybe we’ll have to wait till Halo 6 (but hopefully not that long).
But I think it’s fully possible that either it’s a new copy of Cortana, or another splinter of her that Halsey was able to grab. Perhaps she’s trying to put her back together again. Or hell, maybe she’s helping Cortana. She is a copy of her.

It’s almost certainly her lab beneath SWORD Base.

It’s likely during Fall of ReachReach /Halo Reach or just before. Need to realise that between events of Reach and Halo 5, there’s only 6 years and for someone her age, you’re not going to see a great deal of change in her appearance.

If you replay Reach you can see that she already looks pretty old. It is the same model as Halo 4/5, but even if that is just to save money I believe it would fit in the canon. The one thing that makes me unsure is her outfit.

> 2533274814424955;10:
> It’s likely during Fall of ReachReach /Halo Reach or just before. Need to realise that between events of Reach and Halo 5, there’s only 6 years and for someone her age, you’re not going to see a great deal of change in her appearance.

That actually makes sense. good point.

> 2533274814424955;10:
> It’s likely during Fall of ReachReach /Halo Reach or just before. Need to realise that between events of Reach and Halo 5, there’s only 6 years and for someone her age, you’re not going to see a great deal of change in her appearance.

Not likely at all, Cortana was created during 2549 (note the brain schematics), this must happen right before she meets John for the first time, moments before the universally recommended Ackerson® Danger-zone™ training.* **

*With live rounds.

**And a missile because why not.

The most significant moment this could represent is Cortana’s creation. For all we know, the armored data chip can be separated and the usual chip is inside.
That picture was just to avoid spending money on a image that appears for less than a second, besides, it is not strange for Miranda to have been in various ceremonies before 2549.

And the audio surely is from a different time.

> 2533274812698627;13:
> > 2533274814424955;10:
> > It’s likely during Fall of ReachReach /Halo Reach or just before. Need to realise that between events of Reach and Halo 5, there’s only 6 years and for someone her age, you’re not going to see a great deal of change in her appearance.
>
>
> Not likely at all, Cortana was created during 2549 (note the brain schematics), this must happen right before she meets John for the first time, moments before the universally recommended Ackerson® Danger-zone™ training.* **
>
> *With live rounds.
>
> **And a missile because why not.
>
> ___________________________________
> The most significant moment this could represent is Cortana’s creation. For all we know, the armored data chip can be separated and the usual chip is inside.
> That picture was just to avoid spending money on a image that appears for less than a second, besides, it is not strange for Miranda to have been in various ceremonies before 2549.
>
> And the audio surely is from a different time.

Except with Reach being cannon, John didn’t go through that trainging, right? I haven’t read the ret-conned Fall of Reach, or watched the new animated movie yet.

It is definitely before the Halo 4 events and Halo 5 events… which also leads me to believe it was during the “Fall of Reach/Reach” timeline. The reason that this is definite is that Halsey still has 2 arms!!! This is what was throwing me off so much when I first viewed it.

Because this begs the question, how did she know Locke would be a Spartan and ordered to kill her (and another) by the time Cortana went rampant… then fixed herself and became the villain? The Locke tie-in is the only part of that prologue that I am having a hard time understanding.

I’d say in either four spots. If visuals don’t matter 100%.

The visuals happen in around
A) Around November 7 2549 to July 2552. Around Cortana’s creation.(this is the most open option as it has no limits)
B) Sometime after July 26 2552 around the choosing of Noble Six in this trailer. A Spartan Will Rise.
C) Sometime after/during 0915 August 25, 2552. Around the time Halsey and Cortana decided who they were gonna choose for Red Flag
D) Sometime before August 29 2552 Noble team meet Noble team.

The Audio happens around after Locke gets his Orders to hunt Blue team.(though canonically its Halsey talking about Locke killing Her and Chief as Locke doesnt know about Cortana yet)

> 2535455451217423;14:
> > 2533274812698627;13:
> > > 2533274814424955;10:
> > > It’s likely during Fall of ReachReach /Halo Reach or just before. Need to realise that between events of Reach and Halo 5, there’s only 6 years and for someone her age, you’re not going to see a great deal of change in her appearance.
> >
> >
> > Not likely at all, Cortana was created during 2549 (note the brain schematics), this must happen right before she meets John for the first time, moments before the universally recommended Ackerson® Danger-zone™ training.* **
> >
> > *With live rounds.
> >
> > **And a missile because why not.
> >
> > ___________________________________
> > The most significant moment this could represent is Cortana’s creation. For all we know, the armored data chip can be separated and the usual chip is inside.
> > That picture was just to avoid spending money on a image that appears for less than a second, besides, it is not strange for Miranda to have been in various ceremonies before 2549.
> >
> > And the audio surely is from a different time.
>
>
> Except with Reach being cannon, John didn’t go through that trainging, right? I haven’t read the ret-conned Fall of Reach, or watched the new animated movie yet.

H:Reach and Fall of Reach are still both equally canon, and there is no dispute between these two sources about that training therefore the training happened as described in the book. The “Edited” version of the book (giggle) did a very sloppy job adapting the book to modern canon and you’ll find it doesn’t read terribly different from the original edition at all.

Halsey will not appear much older between 2549 and 2558. Do you feel your parents change significantly in less than 10 years once they hit 50 or so?

Otherwise I concur with most of the answers presented here.

> 2533274798445563;15:
> It is definitely before the Halo 4 events and Halo 5 events… which also leads me to believe it was during the “Fall of Reach/Reach” timeline. The reason that this is definite is that Halsey still has 2 arms!!! This is what was throwing me off so much when I first viewed it.
>
> Because this begs the question, how did she know Locke would be a Spartan and ordered to kill her (and another) by the time Cortana went rampant… then fixed herself and became the villain? The Locke tie-in is the only part of that prologue that I am having a hard time understanding.

Narration does not nessecarily have to sync up with the scene, especially if you don’t see characters talking. Locke’s not even there in the scene itself.

Its the same as the Didact isn’t flying around infinity/new pheonix during h4’s ending while giving his monologue, and how Halsey talking at the end of Halo:Reach doesn’t nessecarily mean she’s there when its re-colonized.

{Cutscene}
Fade in to an ONI facility. Dr. Catherine Halsey walks down a walkway in the middle of a dark circular room, lined by tall black monoliths. Reaching its end, Halsey places her left hand on a scanning panel and the door opens to let her into her lab. Inside, Debussy’s Prelude No.4 is softly playing. As she passes her desk, Halsey sets her journal on it. The desk is adorned with books, ONI paper files, an active holoscreen, and a framed photo of Miranda Keyes. Nearby is a hologram of a human brain.
Halsey reaches into the wall and pulls out an armored matrix. She then heads to the far end at the lab, where there is a glowing blue holotank.

• Halsey: (voiceover) Spartan Locke.Halsey plugs the armored matrix into the holotank. Standing on it is a projection of a blue woman, Cortana.

• Halsey: (voiceover) I have spent enough years with ONI to know the truth.Halsey smiles at her AI and Cortana smiles back.

• Halsey: (voiceover) Once this is over, after all I have done…Halsey turns the handle of the matrix in the tank. Cortana’s hologram vanishes as she’s transferred to its chip.

• Halsey: (voiceover) They’ll order you…The room darkens and Halsey’s smile fades.

• Halsey: (voiceover) …to kill us both.Cut to black

Read this over and over until you understand it, then read the below.

Cortana becomes some evil god-like being, now who is she referring to when she says “Once this is over, after all I have done…They’ll order you…to kill us both” maybe she is doing an internal monologue about how in the end, no matter what Halsey did to stop Cortana ONI will still want to kill her, the beginning alludes to the end of the game and perhaps the end of the Reclaimer Saga.

^Huh, that’s the same transcript I wrote on Halopedia. Cool.

I don’t really get how the opening connects either. The visuals connect to the story, foreshadowing Cortana’s involvement, but it’s not clear why Halsey looks grim at plugging her into the armored matrix. And the monologue doesn’t connect much either as ONI plays little role in the story. I suspect it might be a remnant of an earlier draft more connected to ONI and Hunt the Truth.